Trees

Kan Win

I think these two trees have to be the largest on Samui !

Back%2520%2520roads%2520Samui%2520%2520M

Got close up but not to personal! (sun sort of in the wrong place, but waht can you do! )

Back%2520%2520roads%2520Samui%2520%2520M

The height of the trees would give you some indication of how high the original canopy was before it was harvested for timber or just cleared. I have seen magnificent trees in lower Issan the same with everything cleared around them for farming. Imagine how wonderful Thailand ,and all over surrounding SE Asia would have been 1000 or 10,000 more years ago .

• Like 1

Got close up but not to personal! (sun sort of in the wrong place, but waht can you do! )

The height of the trees would give you some indication of how high the original canopy was before it was harvested for timber or just cleared. I have seen magnificent trees in lower Issan the same with everything cleared around them for farming. Imagine how wonderful Thailand ,and all over surrounding SE Asia would have been 1000 or 10,000 more years ago .

That is the sad story of Vancouver Island where I live. Logging companies were allowed to strip the island forests bare and sell the trees in log form to the USA or Asia. They were supposed to maintain a viable forest industry forever but didn't. Now the logging companies are mostly all gone and the land was given free of charge to real estate companies. Vancouver Island is 450 km long and 100 km wide, and bigger than some countries.

That is the sad story of Vancouver Island where I live. Logging companies were allowed to strip the island forests bare and sell the trees in log form to the USA or Asia. They were supposed to maintain a viable forest industry forever but didn't. Now the logging companies are mostly all gone and the land was given free of charge to real estate companies. Vancouver Island is 450 km long and 100 km wide, and bigger than some countries.

Yeah sadly so, V I was my old stomping grounds too.... but much clearing hidden out of sight by the masses, unless they used the logging roads, which I did frequently... Sombrio beach, Port Renfrew, Fairy Lake, Lizard lake, through to CowChicken Lake and even out to Tofino on the "back roads" !

As for Xen's comment not just Asia! sad.png

I noticed something in the forested rural areas that the farmers would girdle the trees to kill them long before they would cut them down for building purposes. I suspect the trees are teak. Maybe it is a method of drying the wood before cutting into lumber.

post-168760-0-44398000-1370508777_thumb.

post-168760-0-87849300-1370508803_thumb.

• Like 2

I noticed something in the forested rural areas that the farmers would girdle the trees to kill them long before they would cut them down for building purposes. I suspect the trees are teak. Maybe it is a method of drying the wood before cutting into lumber.

Looks more like a Beaver attack to me! whistling.gif biggrin.pngtongue.png

Interesting observation, there Mr. Renesmile.png

Kao Koh 2013

post-70928-0-38676900-1370543440_thumb.j post-70928-0-14889700-1370543475_thumb.j

post-70928-0-13829600-1370543513_thumb.j post-70928-0-30768000-1370543548_thumb.j

Drying the wood

post-70928-0-01874500-1370543664_thumb.j

Edited by Dancealot
  • Like 2

Interesting observation, there Mr. Rene:)

That's "Ms Rene" or actually, Miss Renee, now that I'm divorced.

Aah, divorced.laugh.pngcheesy.gif In respect, this labels me indirectly as well.sad.png

post-70928-0-59498300-1370545327_thumb.j

In this pic I see a bunch of trees blocking the sunbeams, with some Thai flags meandering about.rolleyes.gif

Edited by Dancealot
  • Like 1

Interesting observation, there Mr. Rene:)

That's "Ms Rene" or actually, Miss Renee, now that I'm divorced.

Be aware that this is still male dominated forum and you might become an target of "overly attached future boyfriend candidates" when you make an statement like that.

Ah, the mandatory tree picture.

This tree fell down to the road to my home. I had to chop it down to pieces to get my Ferrari back to the road. I was using karate hits. Every now and the, like every few minutes, when I had manufactured perfect 30cm balls out of the wood, I simply kicked those to the woods. I don't want to brag, but I did catch 5 birds, 3 monitor lizards and an tiger. No big deal.

P1070753.JPG

Edited by Guest

That is a "logical" story, oilinki. I try to keep my Ferrari off roads like that. The servents cut up my trees for me. Oh, wait it's the beavers that do it for me, but they are lousy at stacking it afterwards.

post-168760-0-25848700-1370546608_thumb.

• Like 2

@ Mr. Oilinky: Intentions and conversations to all members should be strictly honourable.

Fine, fine. I admit it's an old Honda wave. I just like to call it my Ferrari. What's wrong with that?

My friends can handle the cleaning up jobs, which your beavers leave behind.

If nothing else helps, they just chew the way clear.

2013-06-06_17-28-15.jpg

Lines..

I get so frustrated when I see what would make a good picture only to have a bunch of wires passing through the picture. Of course, sometimes there are so many wires that they actually make the picture. The first time I came to Thailand I took a whole bunch of photos of junction boxes where hundreds of overhead wires came together. I always wondered how an electrician figured it out, and especially when the wiring is 220 and could kill you.

Lines..

I get so frustrated when I see what would make a good picture only to have a bunch of wires passing through the picture. Of course, sometimes there are so many wires that they actually make the picture. The first time I came to Thailand I took a whole bunch of photos of junction boxes where hundreds of overhead wires came together. I always wondered how an electrician figured it out, and especially when the wiring is 220 and could kill you.

I tend to look through the linessmile.png

Lines..

I tend to look through the linessmile.png

or read between the lines ??????

although i have been told on many occasions i cross the line !!!!!

• Like 1

There are some beautiful clear rivers in the mountains along the western side of northern Thailand and they look more like somewhere in New Zealand. The native trees along those rivers are magnificent.

That first photo is especially nice.. Really Beautiful . Great stuff.

I'm always amazed at how Thais value their trees... at least the ones that don't have market value. Thais will build roads right around certain trees. That would never happen in North America.

post-168760-0-86772300-1370837259_thumb.

post-168760-0-16983400-1370837290_thumb.

• Like 2

The fruit grows directly off the trunk of this tree.

Only seen it in one or two places, this one was in a big unkept orchard I wandered around in today.

The Mrs doesn't know the name but she says you can eat the fruit but it isn't very good.

post-12069-0-20759400-1371119483_thumb.j

• Like 1