' White Police' To Change Thai Police Culture

webfact

Who cares? Cops taking bribes just saves you having to give money to lawyers. When you play up you just pay and its all sorted. Simple

The problem is that the cops (a) may generate opportunities to have you pay up when you shouldn't have to pay anyone anything, and (B) if they find someone who legitimately should be in trouble, they should handle it according to their duties and not take a payoff.

This is fairly basic civics.

Perhaps we are missing something. He said, 'The officers will be selected at the end of every year'.

Some attention grabbing comments about police corruption have been made and, perhaps, will convince a few gullible locals, assuming that they even notice. However, by the 'end of the year' everyone will have forgotten about it. He's only following the example of politicians - talk a lot and do nothing.

I got robbed of 18,000 baht by a person I thought was a friend. I went to the police station in Suan Plu and reported it. I had the thief's phone number, address, photograph, work address, bank account number and his name of course.......... Nothing happened - no arrest. So I called another friend whose wife's brother was a big cop. Suddenly I got a call from Suan Plu station to come and give the evidence again. They had lost it [read "thrown it away"]. So I went back there to the station and repeated everything and this time I was photographed pointing at a picture of the thief. The police there did not know that I can speak Thai and were saying really horrible things about me and laughing about it. I just kept quiet - I was afraid something nasty might happen to me. In the end no arrest again. Not even being close to the sister of a big cop could help me. So be warned - Thai police will never act against a Thai in favour of a farang - it won't happen.

1st, sorry you lost 18k, that is a lot of money and I would be pissed off if someone did that to me.

I don't think you can blame the cops here. You did not explain the whole back story, but I can think of 10 different ways why the police CANNOT and SHOULD NOT act on your behalf. Ok so you claim someone stole 18k from you. Was it an armed robbery? Did you offer a loan or agree to give that amount? If you loaned them money, then it is a civil case and not criminal. Did you leave 18K in your house and it disappeared? So you say a guy stole your money, the police go arrest the man, he says he didn't take anything. Now its 1 man's word against another man's word. Do you think it is right to jail someone based on circumstantial evidence? Again, I am not sure about the details, but in the west or many other places, the police would have done the same thing. Did you have the money marked, so it can be traced to you?

If you did indeed have a close connection to a top cop as you claim, I would not have tried to call in a favor over 18k. You got to save that as an ace in the hole. Now you burned it on a petty case. Anyways if you expect any help in the future you better go buy something nice for that cop 'friend' you have.

I got robbed of 18,000 baht by a person I thought was a friend. I went to the police station in Suan Plu and reported it. I had the thief's phone number, address, photograph, work address, bank account number and his name of course.......... Nothing happened - no arrest. So I called another friend whose wife's brother was a big cop. Suddenly I got a call from Suan Plu station to come and give the evidence again. They had lost it [read "thrown it away"]. So I went back there to the station and repeated everything and this time I was photographed pointing at a picture of the thief. The police there did not know that I can speak Thai and were saying really horrible things about me and laughing about it. I just kept quiet - I was afraid something nasty might happen to me. In the end no arrest again. Not even being close to the sister of a big cop could help me. So be warned - Thai police will never act against a Thai in favour of a farang - it won't happen.

In most cases you are probably right, but a Farang friend was involved in an incident where a motor cycle taxi hit his car in front of some other motor cycle taxis. He got the BIB, they heard what both my friend and the motor cycle taxi guys said, and told the motor cycle rider he was in the wrong and my friend got paid for the damage to his car.

Witnesses! see that changes so much. The OP states he only went to file a report. If he had witnesses, then it would have changed the story, but 1 man's word against another is not enough to prosecute a case, you need hard physical evidence.

1st, sorry you lost 18k, that is a lot of money and I would be pissed off if someone did that to me.

I don't think you can blame the cops here. You did not explain the whole back story, but I can think of 10 different ways why the police CANNOT and SHOULD NOT act on your behalf. Ok so you claim someone stole 18k from you. Was it an armed robbery? Did you offer a loan or agree to give that amount? If you loaned them money, then it is a civil case and not criminal. Did you leave 18K in your house and it disappeared? So you say a guy stole your money, the police go arrest the man, he says he didn't take anything. Now its 1 man's word against another man's word. Do you think it is right to jail someone based on circumstantial evidence? Again, I am not sure about the details, but in the west or many other places, the police would have done the same thing. Did you have the money marked, so it can be traced to you?

If you did indeed have a close connection to a top cop as you claim, I would not have tried to call in a favor over 18k. You got to save that as an ace in the hole. Now you burned it on a petty case. Anyways if you expect any help in the future you better go buy something nice for that cop 'friend' you have.

Well I did not want to write a book just to tell the story. The guy was caught on closed circuit video. The police never even attended the scene or interviewed the apartment manager who had the video. They didn't interview the security guard who saw the guy enter and who did not stop him. They did not interview the motorcycle taxi driver who took him home form my place, who by the way is permanently stationed outside my apartment. I had to take the video to them myself. They kept me waiting for 2 hours at the police station on the first occasion and on the second occasion they told a really crazy and dirty old lady who had wandered in, to sit next to me and they told her to talk to me, which she did babbling her madness at me while the police, who did not know that I can speak Thai and therefore knew what they had done, laughed their heads off at the spectacle.

I am a partner in a resort in the north of Thailand. One night 12 police came in after hours and demanded food and alcohol. We were already closed and most staff had gone home. However they demanded to be served and told us they would burn down the resort if we did not. Of those 12 police not one of them was honest enough to just say "come on guys. lets go". Instead they broke the law by threatening us, and by demanding alcohol after hours. They were all in uniform.

There are many other examples of the police corruption and law breaking that I can give you. But I guess it would be pointless because you will probably find more excuses for them.

• Like 2

Well I did not want to write a book just to tell the story. The guy was caught on closed circuit video. The police never even attended the scene or interviewed the apartment manager who had the video. They didn't interview the security guard who saw the guy enter and who did not stop him. They did not interview the motorcycle taxi driver who took him home form my place, who by the way is permanently stationed outside my apartment. I had to take the video to them myself. They kept me waiting for 2 hours at the police station on the first occasion and on the second occasion they told a really crazy and dirty old lady who had wandered in, to sit next to me and they told her to talk to me, which she did babbling her madness at me while the police, who did not know that I can speak Thai and therefore knew what they had done, laughed their heads off at the spectacle.

I am a partner in a resort in the north of Thailand. One night 12 police came in after hours and demanded food and alcohol. We were already closed and most staff had gone home. However they demanded to be served and told us they would burn down the resort if we did not. Of those 12 police not one of them was honest enough to just say "come on guys. lets go". Instead they broke the law by threatening us, and by demanding alcohol after hours. They were all in uniform.

There are many other examples of the police corruption and law breaking that I can give you. But I guess it would be pointless because you will probably find more excuses for them.

Amazing Thailand ! Sorry about the 18k, if it were me I dont think I could/would take it so calmly. Retribution would be my #1 aim

I had retribution. one day a few months later I saw the guy in a shopping centre. I acted like nothing was wrong, smiled at him and said hello. He stopped and chatted and I saw that he had a phone in his hand. I remarked how nice it was and asked to look at it. Silly fool handed it to me and I slipped it into my pocket and told him he could have it back when I got my 18 K back. Of course no money was forthcoming. HOWEVER I called all the numbers in his phonebook and told them he was a thief. That included all his family. Just for a bit of fun I added that he was also a male prostitute.

• Like 2

Prospective white police will need to pay a princely sum to get the franchise for the year, as they will now be receiving a much better cut of local action.

Sadly what you're saying may be fully accurate but it certainly isn't humorous.

Corrupt bas.ards they are with a fake smile.

Who cares? Cops taking bribes just saves you having to give money to lawyers. When you play up you just pay and its all sorted. Simple

My wifes brother was killed by a drunk driver. He didn't die at the scene but clung to life for a week in a shitty hospital.

The drunk driver paid off the police and faced no consequences.

No fine, no jail time, not even an apology to the family.

Yeah but he sorted it right?

Edited by edwinchester

Even in the US, UK, Australia, etc., police don't like informing on their fellow brothers.. Maybe if the Royal Thai Police offered a monetary incentive, then you might get some results.. maybe. I've met very few Thai policemen who were not on the take.. There are some yes, but very, very few..

Nothing will change until Thais decide they can't live with corruption any more and demand change. Currently it is just accepted as how things get done. This is not only a police issue, it is a national pastime; with the national leaders being the most obvious examples, but all levels of administration are equally up to the task.

Cops just have it easier because they are allowed to use force.

Edited by canuckamuck
  • Like 1

April 1st already? Time sure flies, as do pigs once this pipe dream is seen to fruition and all bad/corrupt Bibs are no longer working as Bibs.

How many times can this same post be re-posted. Run out of things to complain about?