Work Permits With No Tefl?

Not really (although that does make sense). It's all down to what they've been told they need....and what they think they need etc. Same as with a bank account....some say you can't open without a WP, some say you can......ahh the joys of Thailand!!!

Bank account can be opened without a WP. All you need is the original contract (minimum six months) signed by you and the owner of your apartment etc. :o

Bangkok Bank on Silom Road will give you one with only your Passport.

The MOE does not officialy recognise TEFL as a qualification.

It is certainly not a requirement for a WP.

The only people who have the slightest interest in you having a TEFL cert is the employer and i dont think they are that interested anyway.

Cheers Noodles.

PS i am not a teacher but a good friend of mine teaches one of the TEFL courses in Bkk.

Been dealing with MoE, MoL and Immigration department for six years. TEFL certificate is indeed required if your bachelor degree ain't in education.

Been in touch with a friend at the Labour dept and she says that a TEFL is NOT recognised as a certificate of education within the kingdom, The MoE will not recognise it either.

If you think otherwise please contact them to find out FIRST HAND the facts.

Tel.0 2281-9809, 0 2628-5643, 0 2628-5644 Fax. 0 2281-9241

E-mail to : [email protected]

Cheers Noodles.

The only people who have the slightest interest in you having a TEFL cert is the employer and i dont think they are that interested anyway.

Cheers Noodles.

PS i am not a teacher but a good friend of mine teaches one of the TEFL courses in Bkk.

Been dealing with MoE, MoL and Immigration department for six years. TEFL certificate is indeed required if your bachelor degree ain't in education.

Been in touch with a friend at the Labour dept and she says that a TEFL is NOT recognised as a certificate of education within the kingdom, The MoE will not recognise it either.

Cheers Noodles.

Well, that's good news; I won't have to show them my CELTA certificate to get a work permit, I can just whip out my Phd in Introspective Thought which I so deftly printed out yesterday from www.degrees.com. :o

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers Noodles.

Cheers Noodles.

Nowt to do with Labour Dept. mate that's why. Rather needed for the TL from the MoE, once you and your school have that....you're good to go.

Also depends on who you speak to at the MoE (so first hand facts are hard to get)...some schools certainly need it to get their teachers a TL and thus WP. Definitely 100%!!! :o

Not really (although that does make sense). It's all down to what they've been told they need....and what they think they need etc. Same as with a bank account....some say you can't open without a WP, some say you can......ahh the joys of Thailand!!!

Bank account can be opened without a WP. All you need is the original contract (minimum six months) signed by you and the owner of your apartment etc. :D

Bangkok Bank on Silom Road will give you one with only your Passport.

Precisely....as I said...some will, some won't :o

Short answer, yes. It also depends on the school.

So of I do not have a degree and I do not have a tefl I can still teach at a school and get a work permit?

I recently submitted an application for a job as a teacher. When I was first called about the positon I made sure the school was aware that I had neither a degree nor a TEFL qualification.

The person who called me informed me that sometimes, past work expierence is enough to get the teaching license and a work permit.

The person who called told me he will submit my name to the director of the school next week. The director will have the final say if I get hired. He said the director of the school normally goes with his recommendations.

If I get hired, I will post it here so you will know that it is possible.

Short answer, yes. It also depends on the school.

So of I do not have a degree and I do not have a tefl I can still teach at a school and get a work permit?

I recently submitted an application for a job as a teacher. When I was first called about the positon I made sure the school was aware that I had neither a degree nor a TEFL qualification.

The person who called me informed me that sometimes, past work expierence is enough to get the teaching license and a work permit.

The person who called told me he will submit my name to the director of the school next week. The director will have the final say if I get hired. He said the director of the school normally goes with his recommendations.

If I get hired, I will post it here so you will know that it is possible.

I got hired.