Phuket Minivan Driver Hands In Russian Tourist's Lost U S$15,000

webfact

Phuket minivan driver hands in Russian tourist's lost US$15,000

Tanyaluk Sakoot

pd.jpg

Mr Thatri, centre, and Mr Santi, right

PHUKET: -- Phuket minibus driver Thatri Nimnuan is being praised for his honest actions after he handed in a clutch bag belonging to a Russian tourist containing US$15,000 and a passport.

newsjs

Mr Thatri was presented with a special “thank you” certificate yesterday (February 20) by the Phuket Tourist Assistance Center (TAC), set up at the Phuket International Airport.

The 29-year-old, who works for Tez Tour, stumbled across the small bag on the ground in the airport car park on February 15 containing the money and passport.

He handed it into Tez Tour, who informed the TAC.

Meanwhile, Russian tourist Roman Kozlov had realised his bag was missing, so visited the Tachatchai Police Station in Thalang. The police contacted the TAC and his bag was returned – all within the same day.

To say thank you, Mr Kozlov gave Mr Thatri US$200 in return for his honesty.

Mr Tatri said he was surprised to find the money, and he did not consider stealing the bag’s contents because it was not his to take.

Director of the Phuket Provincial Office of Tourism and Sport, Santi Pawai, told The Phuket News the TAC provided a good service for tourists, and this was a great example of the centre working well with other authorities to ensure a tourist was helped.

Source: http://www.thephuket...5-000-37233.php

-- The Phuket News 2013-02-21

• Like 1

After all the talk of Russian mafia, I don't think anyone finding that kind of sum of cash in a bag would think

a. it's clean money

b. there aren't serious criminals going to be looking for it

c. my life expectancy is very low unless that money gets back to its owner

I'm wondering why there aren't more questions being asked about where the money came from and where it's going to be used. Who has $15,000 in a bag?

Edited by neek
  • Like 2

Excellent Khun Thatri - I wonder if a politician or a cop found it, if the result would have been the same. I also hope the Russian declared the currency over 10,000 on arrival...

It probably was the money of someone else ( Politician, cop .... whatever ) but pinned on a Russian since the Russian Mafia stories are rampid these days ;;;;;

15000 us$ , isn't that illegal to care or bring so much money undeclared ?

and not even giving 5% reward money, the van driver will think twice next time

good he did not go to police, or contents would be missing for sure

Call me suspicious, but whenever there is mounting criticism against Thai taxis t a story like this seems to pop up out of nowhere. This has the be the third such case in the last 6 months.

Perhaps an edict goes out that the next one to find something has to give it up rather than just pocket it.

Where I come from, a 10% finders fee is normal to give.

Maybe the driver thinks twice next time, too much fuss for only doing his job. Seems like the "normal" thing to do is keeping the money..

Finders fee? Where do you live? I want to know so that I will never visit there.

• Like 1

well done ... but the Russian could give him a bit more than 200$ ..... nice gesture but stingy one. a good 500$ would have been better .... Anyway , at least there are still honest people in Phuket

Yes, quite a measly gesture. A 1.3% tip for doing something that CURED a big headache. If you leave a large sum of money behind in a public space, it's reasonable to consider it already gone. This taxi driver made it come back! And the passport, a headache in itself. A round $500 would've been perfect.

Where I come from, a 10% finders fee is normal to give.

Maybe the driver thinks twice next time, too much fuss for only doing his job. Seems like the "normal" thing to do is keeping the money..

Finders fee? Where do you live? I want to know so that I will never visit there.

Heh heh, could it be a land notorious for producing ruthless or stingy people? Maybe if he was at home, the tourist in this case would have known he was expected to pay up.

Excellent Khun Thatri - I wonder if a politician or a cop found it, if the result would have been the same. I also hope the Russian declared the currency over 10,000 on arrival...

I am shure he had declared the 15.000 $. He went straight to the police station. And if not the custom will visit him and take more than 200 $ ...

I never cease to be amazed at the negativity regularly thrown at Thailand from foreigners who apparently live here.

If the place is so bad, go away. I doubt anyone will miss you.

I have lived in three countries in Southeast Asia; each for more than five years. Thailand is, by far, the most honest of the three.

Don't get me wrong, Thailand sure isn't perfect, but what place is?

Call me suspicious, but whenever there is mounting criticism against Thai taxis t a story like this seems to pop up out of nowhere. This has the be the third such case in the last 6 months.

After all the talk of Russian mafia, I don't think anyone finding that kind of sum of cash in a bag would think

a. it's clean money

I'm wondering why there aren't more questions being asked about where the money came from and where it's going to be used. Who has $15,000 in a bag?

When are you cheap-charlies going to realize, some people have money? Let me try to answer your question.

Any traveler with money who:

1) prefers cash--best way to budget, take as much as you're willing to spend, and you'll know when it spent

2) doesn't use plastic--not quite sure why, but I know many people with money who don't, perhaps the trail it leaves

3) just drew out cash to make a purchase--maybe he found a beautiful necklace for his momma

4) thinks a money changer will offer a better rate--many other countries in SEA have currency black markets

5) plans on going to the Moulin Rouge off Soi Bangla--B250 Chang lek at happy hour

6) is taking the B500k dowry to his gfs parents--or is that making a purchase?

7) just likes having enough money to pay for anything they want--exactly what a person with money on vacation might do

• Like 2

I never cease to be amazed at the negativity regularly thrown at Thailand from foreigners who apparently live here.

If the place is so bad, go away. I doubt anyone will miss you.

I have lived in three countries in Southeast Asia; each for more than five years. Thailand is, by far, the most honest of the three.

Don't get me wrong, Thailand sure isn't perfect, but what place is?

smotherb: +10!!!wai.gif

a. it's clean money

When are you cheap-charlies going to realize, some people have money? Let me try to answer your question.

1) prefers cash--best way to budget, take as much as you're willing to spend, and you'll know when it spent

2) doesn't use plastic--not quite sure why, but I know many people with money who don't, perhaps the trail it leaves

3) just drew out cash to make a purchase--maybe he found a beautiful necklace for his momma

4) thinks a money changer will offer a better rate--many other countries in SEA have currency black markets

5) plans on going to the Moulin Rouge off Soi Bangla--B250 Chang lek at happy hour

7) just likes having enough money to pay for anything they want--exactly what a person with money on vacation might do

Mister, "I have lived in 3 SEA countries for more than 5 years," but none of them taught you how to take a joke!

Edited by LivinginKata
flame remark removed

a. it's clean money

Mister, "I have lived in 3 SEA countries for more than 5 years," but none of them taught you how to take a joke!

Mr. "Joke," where was the joke? The poster asked, 'Who has $15,000 in a bag?' All I saw was wonder at anyone having $15,000. How naive.