Phuket Hotel Safe Box Robbery May Be Inside Job

webfact

Phuket hotel safe box robbery may be inside job

Nattha Thepbamrung

PHUKET: -- Hotel staff at the Secret Cliff Resort in Karon will be questioned following two separate incidents of safe boxes, containing large amounts of cash, being robbed in the rooms.

newsjs

A Hong Kong couple and a Russian couple were both robbed on the same day – February 17 – with police suspecting it is the work of the same thief.

The first robbery occurred when Hong Kong couple Wen Juan and her husband left their room between 4pm and 7pm to take some photos around the hotel. While they were gone, the safe box in their hotel room, which contained their valuables, was stolen.

Police said the safe box contained Thai cash of B10,000, HK$3,000, a mobile phone valued at B4,000, two Hong Kong ID cards, a driving licence, ATM card, an empty wallet and the key from their rented motorbike.

Pol Capt Sathapon Seenun, of Karon Police said the couple’s room door was found broken, but their hotel room had not been disturbed.

Soon after the Hong Kong couple were robbed, Victoria Bondarenko and her husband, both from Russia, suffered the same fate sometime between 6pm and 9pm. Their safe box was broken into and all their belongings inside were taken.

Capt Sathapon said the Russian couple’s door was untouched and the room was tidy when the couple went back – only their belongings in the safe box were stolen.

Inside was cash of US$1,400, RUB5,000, a watch worth B1,000 and a silver ring worth B4,000.

Capt Sathapon said that yesterday (February 20) representatives from the Secret Cliff Resort went to the Karon Police Station to talk about the incident with the two couples and make a compensation agreement.

“The hotel gave the couples free accommodation, food and beverage and transportation until their last night in the hotel. Also, they gave B10,000 to each couple as compensation,” he said.

Both couples have since returned to their respective countries, and said they were happy for the hotel to continue the investigation.

Police arrived at the hotel yesterday to collect fingerprints, and hotel staff will be interviewed. Capt Sathapon said there were no CCTV cameras in the area where the hotel rooms are located.

He said it was still not known whether the robbery was an inside job or if it was someone outside of the hotel.

Source: http://www.thephuket...e-job-37237.php

-- The Phuket News 2013-02-21

so their passports where not in the safe? good for them or they would be stuck there for many many days to get a replacement

no CCTV ?

more robberies next week ?

in this case, i dont think so, have lost my one in india, took me 2 hours to get a 6 month valid passport

There was a story here a while ago - a trusting guy (possibly from Oz) checked a huge sum of money into a hotel safe - his life-savings i think - and surprise surprise, a robbery took place overnight and it all went - how lucky they were to pick that hotel blah...it's interesting to weigh up the odds with this keeping cash safe problem : i mean, if you tell hotel staff you are placing a large wedge of cash for them to keep safe, Versus, simply keeping it close to your own skin at all times and telling absolutely no-one - what are the odds of the first going badly wrong compared to the odds of the second leading to being mugged and relieved of the wedge ? Mmmm..can only guess.