Bungsamran Fishing - Costs

gunnerterry

Looking to turn up at Bungsamran to do some fishing in April. Can someone tell me exactly what it would cost for a days fishing? I would probably want the following

1. Bungalow

2. Guide

3. bait and tackle

There will be two of us who hold Thai DL'S so i think we can get Thai prices and 1 person who will pay foreigner prices.

I will drive their myself so don't need a pickup from hotel package. Also as i have never been here before I presume the bungalows are big enough for three people to fish from?

Any advice and costs would be appreciated

Bungalow- 800 baht to 5000 baht, depending on whether you want A/C, how big, etc. I find the 800 baht units to be fine for up to 4 guys, with a fan and TV. Or you can forgo the bungalow altogether and fish off the dock in the middle. It's fun, and gets exciting when someone near you snags a big one and has to walk up and down the dock.

Guide- 1000 baht and well worth it your first trip or 2.

Bait- count on 150-250 baht for a bucket of lam and some bread. I don't know what tackle will cost to rent since I always bring my own. You can spend from 100 baht to the sky's the limit for terminal tackle- but let your guide suggest what you buy. They're frugal with your money.

I think I paid 400 baht per rod (not per person). 2 of us had Thai DL's and one was a Thai guy that happens to fish tournaments. (May have been 500 baht this trip but last time it was 400) I see they raised their price for non-locals to 2000 baht, but $66 for a world class fishing experiences beats 2-3 x that for chasing a stupid ball around a scorching field all day. But I digress....

All these prices are listed on their website, though you may have to scrounge a little and decipher some Thinglish.

Edited by impulse

In spite of having fished BSR several times, (all of them great- some greater than others), I can't quite understand the deal with arapaima.

There's a sign in Thai that mentions 20,000 baht, but I can't understand it.

First time I went there, I brought squid, thinkin' catfish is catfish and the ones back home like squid. (On an aside, found out catfish ain't the same everywhere). The guide told me not to use the squid because it would cost 20,000 baht if I accidentally hooked an arapaima. At least that's what I understood, having been in Thailand a few weeks and not really understanding his accent or knowing the questions to ask.

I'm not really set on catching an arapaima, but I would like to target some predator fish with lures or dead bait while waiting for the lam baited float to go under. But if I stand the chance of getting dinged 20,000 baht if I accidentally hook an arapaima, I'll stick to bread and lam and carp and catfish. It's still an excellent fishing venue without going after predator fish.

And I would consider 20,000 baht to be reasonable if I were targeting arapaima, but I prefer medium sized 5-15 kg fish on lighter tackle to a brute fight with a monster on deep sea gear. I'm too old to tire myself out on one fish any more....

Anyone know the rules and customs?

Edited by impulse

In spite of having fished BSR several times, (all of them great- some greater than others), I can't quite understand the deal with arapaima.

First time I went there, I brought squid, thinkin' catfish is catfish and the ones back home like squid. (On an aside, found out catfish ain't the same everywhere). The guide told me not to use the squid because it would cost 20,000 baht if I accidentally hooked an arapaima. At least that's what I understood, having been in Thailand a few weeks and not really understanding his accent or knowing the questions to ask.

I'm not really set on catching an arapaima, but I would like to target some predator fish with lures or dead bait while waiting for the lam baited float to go under. But if I stand the chance of getting dinged 20,000 baht if I accidentally hook an arapaima, I'll stick to bread and lam and carp and catfish. It's still an excellent fishing venue without going after predator fish.

And I would consider 20,000 baht to be reasonable if I were targeting arapaima, but I prefer medium sized 5-15 kg fish on lighter tackle to a brute fight with a monster on deep sea gear. I'm too old to tire myself out on one fish any more....

I thought it was 25,000 bht to fish for the Arapaima If you should catch one that is it!! 25,000 gone!! you would find 20,000 or 25,000 reasonable? there are other venues where you can fish for the Arapaima for a fraction of this cost and catch more than one!! I think you would have to be careful with a place like BSR, I have seen Arapaima take bread, if you should hook one accidentally and land it I think it would be difficult convincing the fishery that you did not use dead bait etc!! this is my thought and do not know if this would be the case!!

Edited by dogpoo

I thought it was 25,000 bht to fish for the Arapaima? If you should catch one that is it!! 25,000 gone!! you would find 20,000 or 25,000 reasonable? there are other venues where you can fish for the Arapaima for a fraction of this cost and catch more than one!! I think you would have to be careful with a place like BSR, I have seen Arapaima take bread, if you should hook one accidentally and land it I think it would be difficult convincing the fishery that you did not use dead bait etc!! this is my thought and do not know if this would be the case!! Arapaima are not a strong fighting fish despite there enormous size, the fight is over quickly!!

Edited by dogpoo

I thought it was 25,000 bht to fish for the Arapaima? If you should catch one that is it!! 25,000 gone!! you would find 20,000 or 25,000 reasonable? there are other venues where you can fish for the Arapaima for a fraction of this cost and catch more than one!! I think you would have to be careful with a place like BSR, I have seen Arapaima take bread, if you should hook one accidentally and land it I think it would be difficult convincing the fishery that you did not use dead bait etc!! this is my thought and do not know if this would be the case!! Arapaima are not a strong fighting fish despite there enormous size, the fight is over quickly!!

Thanks, I worry about accidentally hooking an arapaima, too.

I do think $600-800 is reasonable if I were targeting them. I realize there are other places much cheaper. But I don't know of any where else I could get off the airplane in the morning, have a good chance of catching one, and be back at the airport in the afternoon. Or where I'd take a valued customer for a better fishing experience in such a short time. That's of tremendous value to folks that travel and work for a living, often on very tight schedules.

Don't get me wrong. I am cheap. I fly coach, my vehicle is 20 years old and I compare prices on beans at the supermarket. But I have so little free time from my job that I don't mind paying for a higher chance of success and a lower chance that I'll be disappointed during the times I can get away. And I'm surrounded at my work by people of the same mindset (though very few as cheap as I am).

Have fished there four times now and have always had a great day fishing apart from one time and that was due heavy rain the day before.

Always fished from the 800 baht bungalows,if there are four of you going then I would suggest taking two of the bungalows instead of one because it when someone gets a run then it usually means the other/others need to reel in and that can be a pain in the wotsit !!!

Prices if I remember right are...

Bungalow .....800 - 2000 Baht (up to you how many fishing)

Days fishing license ....400 Baht Thai and 1000 Baht foreigner

Guide ....1000 (tip optional,but they deserve one)

Rod rental ....500 Baht

Bait/Lum.... 200 Baht a sack

Fishing times.....9am-9pm and 9pm-9am

If you are after a big catfish then try bungalows #3 or #4 ,if only after the little ones (15kg-30 kg) then I would recommend around #'s 24,25,26.

My biggest fish so far

post-126208-0-23281400-1362255683_thumb.

Hope this helps.

Happy hooking !!!

Have fished there four times now and have always had a great day fishing apart from one time and that was due heavy rain the day before.

Always fished from the 800 baht bungalows,if there are four of you going then I would suggest taking two of the bungalows instead of one because it when someone gets a run then it usually means the other/others need to reel in and that can be a pain in the wotsit !!!

Rod rental ....500 Baht

If you are after a big catfish then try bungalows #3 or #4 ,if only after the little ones (15kg-30 kg) then I would recommend around #'s 24,25,26.

My biggest fish so far

attachicon.gifBSR! 70 kg.jpg

Hope this helps.

Happy hooking !!!

Thanks for the info Shaggy much appreciated.

Rod rental ....500 Baht

My biggest fish so far

BSR! 70 kg.jpg

Hope this helps.

Happy hooking !!!

Thanks for the info Shaggy much appreciated.

If you have a Thai driving license I believe you can get the Thai price!

Rod rental ....500 Baht

My biggest fish so far

attachicon.gifBSR! 70 kg.jpg

Hope this helps.

Happy hooking !!!

The foreigner price has gone upto 2000bht unless of course they have a work permit or thai DL.

Had a day fishing there myself on Saturday, and here's a tip if you hire a rod.

The hire rods and reels are fine, even though they are all getting on a bit.

But beware, we had two line breaks before checking the line and finding the last 20-30 feet was well worn. Once I'd cut off that lot, all was well, and no more trouble.

Worth checking before you start!

Have a good time!

Thanks for all the advice. I have Thai DL and work permit so thai price shouldn't be a problem. I'll check the tackle after i hire it! lol

I used to fish at bsr lots ...i live just outside, I never used a guide but would advise Wi as a guide and not only because he is a close friend but he also has a rod dedicated to his customers,

Mostly the guides will use lam only as there intent is to get a high catch rate of mehkong giants and maybe tire you out,

I would,nt even suggest fishing for the arapaimer there....cost is 20k and 15k back if you dont catch one,

I find it more fun to catch arapaimer on the lure or fly and there are places where you can target many amazon fish from 50bht-2000bht,

I find it boring to use live or dead bait for predator fish in a pond.

Edited by tingtongfarang