Overland Travel In Myanmar - Kawthoung To Yangon - Commencing Soon

SeaVisionBurma

I have just returned from another trip into the islands of the Mergui Archipelago through Kawthoung (via Ranong).

I had a long discussion with the head of MTT (Myanmar Tours and Travels - operating under the Ministry of Tourism).

For some years now I have personally been allowed to travel in and out of most border points in Myanmar because I held a special visa, and had access to special permits. This kind of travel was forbidden to all foreigners. If you entered via Kawthoung - you had to exit there without travelling farther than the islands. If you entered through Yangon - you could visit Kawthoung (Myeik, the islands etc) - but had to travel back to, and exit from, Yangon again.

Starting very soon - most foreign travellers will be able to enter Myanmar through Kawthoung, and then officially arrange onward travel to other destinations within the country. In practical terms, this will mean being able to reach Yangon, and exit the country from there or Mandalay.

How will this work in terms of travel? There are usually daily flights from Kawthoung to Yangon (normally via Myeik and/or Dawei). There is also a fast ferry service (called Fortune or Hifi Express) which runs from Kawthoung to Myeik to Dawei daily. Thus you can travel to Myeik (and fly to Yangon), or to Dawei (and fly/overland to Yangon).

As of right now - unofficially you can do this with advance permission. PM me for the details if you have a serious intention or requirement for this particular method of travel, and I will put you in touch with the relevant authority.

Once this becomes official - I will post something more detailed, with full information.

Hope this is of some interest to those who wish to travel through the southern entry point into Myanmar

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Seavission-- I need your help will be in BKK for Myanmar visa on Monday the 18th of march, I am looking to travel north from Kawthaung to Yangoon. Going April must be in Yangoon by the Ninth of April -- I am book on Merugi Princess but would forfeit deposit if I can travel locally -- please advise how I can do this ? At least I would like to fly from Kawthaung to Yangoon on ninth - please advise -- I would be very greatful -- wish I saw your post earlier !!

Seavission-- I need your help will be in BKK for Myanmar visa on Monday the 18th of march, I am looking to travel north from Kawthaung to Yangoon. Going April must be in Yangoon by the Ninth of April -- I am book on Merugi Princess but would forfeit deposit if I can travel locally -- please advise how I can do this ? At least I would like to fly from Kawthaung to Yangoon on ninth - please advise -- I would be very greatful -- wish I saw your post earlier !!

PM sent

simon43, on 17 Mar 2013 - 08:38, said:

Will this new rule also allow one to travel t'other way, such as entering Myanmar via Yangon (by air from BKK), and then exiting Myanmar at Kawthaung?

Simon

Hi Simon,

Officially - not at the moment. However it can be done with some prior arrangement. PM me if you want details - can put you in touch with the person who can arrange this with immigration.

Update on the opening post:

Overland travel can be arranged now from Kawthoung to Yangon with the following:

- Visa issued at an embassy (eg Bangkok) before travel
- Fee of USD$80 for special permit allowing travel from Kawthoung to Yangon, and then exit from Myanmar from either Yangon or Mandalay
- Need full itinerary in advance so the relevant authority in Kawthoung can apply for the permit - basically dates of arrival/travel to Yangon/exit from Myanmar
- Need to pay for your flight ticket to Yangon from either Kawthoung or Myeik

As of next year they are expecting to be able to issue the visa on arrival in Kawthoung which will allow overland travel - at this stage it needs to be applied for at an embassy before travel.

PM me for further details if this is of interest.

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw this post on Lonelyplanet's Thorntree forum (see link below). It seems that travel to a number of places is now permitted (no changes to Kayin State have been mentioned so far) but one of the most interesting additions is that the road from Mawlamyaing (Moulmein) to Dawei is now open, no need to take a boat or flight anymore. Previously I think the limit was Thanbyuzayat or Ye. At least one person has made the overland journey between Mawlamyaing and Dawei recently.

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=2308443

• 1 month later...

I just saw this post on Lonelyplanet's Thorntree forum (see link below). It seems that travel to a number of places is now permitted (no changes to Kayin State have been mentioned so far) but one of the most interesting additions is that the road from Mawlamyaing (Moulmein) to Dawei is now open, no need to take a boat or flight anymore. Previously I think the limit was Thanbyuzayat or Ye. At least one person has made the overland journey between Mawlamyaing and Dawei recently.

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=2308443

So it seems that overland travel without a tour operator to Myeik is possible. Is that possible on western passports too?

Is there a way to get from Myeik to one of the Mergui Islands and head from there to Kawthaung and leave Mynamar to Thailand?

-----------

Thanks in advance for any kind of information :) Just registered cos this seems to be good place :)

Hendrik

So it seems that overland travel without a tour operator to Myeik is possible. Is that possible on western passports too?

Is there a way to get from Myeik to one of the Mergui Islands and head from there to Kawthaung and leave Mynamar to Thailand?

Yes - possible to travel to Myeik on a foreign passport.

(I assume you mean from Yangon)

However the only way is to fly from Yangon - or travel to Dawei, and then take the ferry from there to Myeik.

Overland travel - by land - to Tanintharyi Division is still not open to foreigners for various reasons (lack of infrastructure being one)

Getting from Myeik to one of the islands in the archipelago is tricky. Nearly all trips to the islands originate from, and return to, Kawthoung on the southern border with Ranong.

Several companies have permits to take foreigners out into the islands of the Mergui Archipelago - but this occurs primarily in the main tourist season between September and April. From May to September it is the monsoon season, and not recommended for travel to the islands.

So from Myeik - one option is to take the fast ferry (eg Fortune Express) down to Kawthoung, and then arrange for a trip to the islands from there. You can also fly on some days from Myeik to Kawthoung - but this is not a reliable service in terms of scheduling.

Finally - if you are intending to travel from Yangon (either down through Myeik or directly to Kawthoung) and out through the southern border to Thailand - you should make prior arrangements first through Myanmar Tours and Travels (MTT) the official reps for the Ministry of Tourism. Main office in Yangon, or PM me for details of their Kawthoung office chief.

Hope this helps

SVB

• Like 1

As far as I know, based on personal experience, you have been able to fly from Kawthoung to Yangon and vice versa since the mid 90s, on an ordinary tourist visa. I never had a problem doing it, and I never had any special permits. Same for the coastal ferries: though I didn't go that route myself, I knew several tourists who did.

From what you've written, SVB, it appears that regulation of *overland* travel into or out of Kawthung, has not changed, ie it is still forbidden to foreigners.

• Like 1

As far as I know, based on personal experience, you have been able to fly from Kawthoung to Yangon and vice versa since the mid 90s, on an ordinary tourist visa. I never had a problem doing it, and I never had any special permits. Same for the coastal ferries: though I didn't go that route myself, I knew several tourists who did.

From what you've written, SVB, it appears that regulation of *overland* travel into or out of Kawthung, has not changed, ie it is still forbidden to foreigners.

You're right - quite a number of tourists have regularly travelled by flight or coastal ferry from Myeik and Kawthoung.

Having a tourist visa issued outside, then arriving in to Yangon and travelling down to Myeik/Kawthoung from there was usually fine - but those coming over the border at Kawthoung without having an embassy issued tourist visa (and trying to travel onwards from there) have nearly always run into problems.

In the latter case - approval was always a requirement, and often meant some quick pulling of strings before they were allowed to leave.

Mind you - there were always a few that slipped through the cracks. I came across a few very lost foreign travellers in Myeik on a couple of occasions who managed to get there on board the ferry somehow, and the the reaction of local immigration officials when they arrived was always fun to watch.

So, to conclude, overland travel is still not possible :Only over-flights )

Since Kawthoung itself is not very exciting, I doubt many people would choose to enter the country there, only to fly to Yangon. The only instance where I can see this as a reasonable option would be if you already had a visa for Myanmar, and you entered Thailand overland from Malaysia and wanted to bypass Bangkok. Very few would find themselves in that position, I imagine. But given the irregular flight schedules out of Kawthoung, and the heavy loads domestic flights are carrying in Myanmar these days, even those few candidates might be better served flying out of Bangkok.

Some day the overland route will open, I'm sure. I wonder how common it is for Myanmar citizens to move north overland from KT, as opposed to taking the ferry?

So, to conclude, overland travel is still not possible :Only over-flights )

Since Kawthoung itself is not very exciting, I doubt many people would choose to enter the country there, only to fly to Yangon. The only instance where I can see this as a reasonable option would be if you already had a visa for Myanmar, and you entered Thailand overland from Malaysia and wanted to bypass Bangkok. Very few would find themselves in that position, I imagine. But given the irregular flight schedules out of Kawthoung, and the heavy loads domestic flights are carrying in Myanmar these days, even those few candidates might be better served flying out of Bangkok.

Some day the overland route will open, I'm sure. I wonder how common it is for Myanmar citizens to move north overland from KT, as opposed to taking the ferry?

I asked a local friend this recently - I always thought that there had been a decent road built between Myeik and Kawthoung (thinking back to when I first moved to the islands, late nineties).

Apparently the road has fallen into disrepair - poor construction and lack of maintenance - and it is not used for any regular travel. Makes sense - haven't seen any bus services between KT and Myeik, seems as if everyone takes the ferry.

Would be good if this was upgraded in the future - I think it would make an interesting trip by motorbike to go all the way overland.

• 2 months later...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi SeaVision,

How is the access going, I believe overland is opening up, but the boats going into the Archipelago still have to carry a guide?

No change on this rule - any boats going into the archipelago will still be required to carry a guide.

I do not expect this to change in the near future.

Interesting side note - although the announcement was made about overland travel in the media, the head of MTT in Kawthoung (who first informed me some months ago that this would happen) says that he has not been give the green light yet to process overland travel.

He will still be operating under the existing rules which require him to get approval in advance from Yangon.

If this changes, I will post a further update down the track when I get confirmation.

Hi SeaVision,

How is the access going, I believe overland is opening up, but the boats going into the Archipelago still have to carry a guide?

No change on this rule - any boats going into the archipelago will still be required to carry a guide.

I do not expect this to change in the near future.

Interesting side note - although the announcement was made about overland travel in the media, the head of MTT in Kawthoung (who first informed me some months ago that this would happen) says that he has not been give the green light yet to process overland travel.

He will still be operating under the existing rules which require him to get approval in advance from Yangon.

If this changes, I will post a further update down the track when I get confirmation.

Hi SeaVisionBurma,

I believe the flooding situation has been used an excuse to delay the opening of these three checkpoints, Kawthoung included. I have not heard of any flooding situation that has affected Kawthoung, but rather Myawaddy and the road going towards Kawkareik, which has been inundated with landslides. I hope that they can re-open the road as soon as possible to allow for the opening to proceed as planned - I don't see why all three checkpoints need to open at the same time, but it seems that the government views it as somehow important. Therefore, Kawthoung will likely only open when the Myawaddy-Kawkareik road is re-opened, which will probably take a couple of more weeks.

http://www.ttrweekly.com/site/2013/08/floods-foil-easy-entry-exit-rule/

BTW SVB, once the road access opens, I'm assuming one can then travel by car/bus/motorcycle etc. from Kawthoung to Yangon? Right now it seems that overland travel from Yangon to Myeik and beyond is already OK with numerous travelers having done the journey these past few months, the slightly further stretch down to the border should thus also be OK in my opinion - haven't heard of any ethnic troubles in that area for years.

Tomtomtom69

The floods have nothing - repeat nothing - to do with the decision to delay commencement of the overland travel from Kawthoung.

Try not to speculate so much when you post.

In this case they are simply not ready.

This comes from a well placed source within the tourism body in Myanmar.

Tomtomtom69

The floods have nothing - repeat nothing - to do with the decision to delay commencement of the overland travel from Kawthoung.

Try not to speculate so much when you post.

In this case they are simply not ready.

This comes from a well placed source within the tourism body in Myanmar.

What do you mean they are "not ready"? Read the articles I have posted - TTRweekly is a good source of news and the answers are in that article and another one posted 3 days earlier. I knew the floods and landslides were responsible, and the reason Kawthoung is not ready is because Myawaddy and Tachilek are not ready, which is due to the flooding and landslides. Simple as that.

...the reason Kawthoung is not ready is because Myawaddy and Tachilek are not ready, which is due to the flooding and landslides. Simple as that.

Not correct.

Kawthoung not being ready has nothing whatsoever to do with floods. They have been told by their hierarchy in Yangon that the Ministry is not yet ready to open the routes up.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello folks

I have read - in one place or another, cant remember exactly where and cant find today- about some Germans I belive it was that have been crossing/overlanding Myanmar from India through Myanmar to Thailand on 4x4 cars. Does anyone have a link to their blog or to the news in any netsite/media about this?

Thanks in Advance!