Four Killed, 32 Injured In Blast In Nakhon Phanom

webfact

Four killed, 32 injured in blast in Nakhon Phanom
The Nation

NAKHON PHANOM: -- Four policemen and two bystanders were killed when a grenade exploded during an annual festival of this northeastern province late Sunday night.

The explosion occurred shortly after midnight when the two policemen tried to arrest a man who was seen carrying a grenade into the festival held to celebrate the Nadu stupa.

The man, who was identified as Winai Jeknam, also lost his left arm in the blast.

The blast also injured 32 other people, police said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-02-25

NAKHON PHANOM: -- Four policemen and two bystanders were killed when a grenade exploded during an annual festival of this northeastern province late Sunday night.

4+2=6

"The explosion occurred shortly after midnight when the two policemen tried to arrest a man who was seen carrying a grenade into the festival held to celebrate the Nadu stupa."

Apparently two = four. laugh.png

• Like 1

Four dead in Thai Buddhist festival blast: police

BANGKOK, Feb 25, 2013 (AFP) - Four people were killed and more than 20 injured when a homemade bomb was detonated during a fight at a Buddhist festival in northeast Thailand early Monday, police said.

The explosion killed two policemen and two revellers at a concert to celebrate Makha Bhucha Day at a pagoda in Maha Sarakham province, local district police chief Kritchai Sreumsri told AFP.

He said police officers responding to a fight near the celebrations were chasing a man who was apparently carrying a homemade device when it exploded.

More than 20 people, including the man being chased, were injured in the blast at the town of Nadoon.

Makha Bhucha Day honours the teachings of Lord Buddha on the full moon day.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2013-02-25

I highly, highly doubt it has anything to do with the South. A certain other newspaper we aren't allowed to quote on TV says it was a gang dispute. How on earth do you get conflicting reports on which province its in?

Edited by ubonrthai

So is this spreading from the south to other areas?

No, stupid is nation wide.

The education system too often doesn't teach action and consequences,

just rote learning of facts and not the ability to make conclusions.

Not everyone is stupid of course, but it only takes one to do this.

Edited by animatic
  • Like 1

I understand the incident occured close to the Morlam Concert. We were at the festival last night but due to my pal suffering from a bad back, we came home early. Apparently the brave policemen were from Yang Sisurat and 3 people from the village in which I live are today in hospital. Condolences to the families of those killed.

Edited by Mr Yim
  • Like 2

I highly, highly doubt it has anything to do with the South. A certain other newspaper we aren't allowed to quote on TV says it was a gang dispute. How on earth do you get conflicting reports on which province its in?

Because they are Thais who are attempting to tell how something occurred.

So are the insurgents moving their activities to other areas? Not much information. If they ever hit Phuket, Krabi or Pattaya that would be the end of tourism in Thailand for a very, very long time. Look at the damage it did to Bali's reputation - like a Ghost Town for eight years.

A bomb for Makha Bucha !

The third lunar month is known in the Thai language as Makha (Pali: Māgha); Bucha is also a Thai word (Pali: Pūjā), meaning "to venerate" or "to honor". As such, Makha Bucha Day is for the veneration of Buddha and his teachings on the full moon day of the third lunar month.

The spiritual aims of the day are: not to commit any kind of sins; do only good; purify one's mind.

He didn't learn good about "not to commit any kind of sins" on this holy day !

Edited by Westaurel

Apparently some Bangkokian journalists have never been over Korat, confusing Nakhon phanom and Maha Sarakam!!!

it means a lot about how Bangkokians perceived Issan....

Very true.

The event happened in Maha Sarakam and the "other" newspaper got it right.

Reference: misc Thai language sources.

It was during a concert ot a well known singer: < Thai script removed > (It Ponglangsaon).

Edited by metisdead
: This is the English language side of the forum, post in English.

Four dead in Thai Buddhist festival blast: police

BANGKOK, Feb 25, 2013 (AFP) - Four people were killed and more than 20 injured when a homemade bomb was detonated during a fight at a Buddhist festival in northeast Thailand early Monday, police said.

The explosion killed two policemen and two revellers at a concert to celebrate Makha Bhucha Day at a pagoda in Maha Sarakham province, local district police chief Kritchai Sreumsri told AFP.

He said police officers responding to a fight near the celebrations were chasing a man who was apparently carrying a homemade device when it exploded.

More than 20 people, including the man being chased, were injured in the blast at the town of Nadoon.

Makha Bhucha Day honours the teachings of Lord Buddha on the full moon day.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2013-02-25

So where was it Nakhon Phanom or Maha Sarakham (as the BKK Post reports) I realise that they are both in Isan but I wouln't like to be walking to buy a pie if I started out from one and my pie was in the other.

Regardless the realm is rapidly establishing itself as a place to avoid.

Yes it was in Na Dun, Maha Sarakham province. G/F read the Thai version this morning and so we cancelled our trip there with the family.

Nothing related to terrorists, just the "bad boys"/gangs trying to kill each other at a mor lum concert again.

The guy with the grenade is apparently from my amphur, the gangs round here are always trying to kill each other, then innocent bystanders get killed instead. Every report I've heard of the violence, always starts at mor lum concerts, although sometimes they chase each other shooting from their motorcycles and if they catch a rival gang member who runs, that person dies.

I hope that this will spur police to persecute the gang members, there are tinned of laws which are never enforced, but could be just to get someone off the streets.

Its all about education or the lack of it. These teenagers simply do not think about the consequences of their actions. The police fully expect trouble as there check points on the routes into Na Dun, where the police stop and presumably search the teenagers going to the festival. Last year my ride on the dodgems with my step son was interupted whilst a couple of Tom Boys were fighting. It seems to be accepted and nothing is done about it.

Another grenade. Surely the government / army should target eliminating the availablity of these? You can't buy them in Big C ( I don't think ) so where do they come from? Army personnel supplementing their income ?

4+2=6

"The explosion occurred shortly after midnight when the two policemen tried to arrest a man who was seen carrying a grenade into the festival held to celebrate the Nadu stupa."

Apparently two = four. laugh.png

Your compassion and astute perception of what is meaningful run deep.sick.gif This forum really needs a 'turd' emoticon.

• Like 1