Fishing At Cha Am

dogpoo

post-166124-13618660628029_thumb.jpg. A recent trip to Cha Am yielded this fantastic Arapaima for my mate visiting from the UK! weight estimated by the guide as around 70kg. great weeks fishing! also met the fishing legend John Wilson, a lovely man and looked the same as when I used to watch him on the tv as a youngster! Edited by dogpoo

John Wilson. smile.png I think he comes across as a moody **** but I do like his fishing shows. Was he just visiting his brother or was he planning to film more shows?

If I had his money I don't think I'd ever set foot in England again. The weather and the fishing back here gets on my nerves. 10 days and I'm off on a trip to Florida. Can't wait!

John Wilson. I think he comes across as a moody **** but I do like his fishing shows. Was he just visiting his brother or was he planning to film more shows?

If I had his money I don't think I'd ever set foot in England again. The weather and the fishing back here gets on my nerves. 10 days and I'm off on a trip to Florida. Can't wait!

He was just visiting with his brother, he did say he was planning to retire in Thailand soon, he came across as a very happy contented man! Florida sounds great hope you catch many big un's.

John Wilson at Jurassic Mountain Resort & Fishing Park 20-02-13, with his personal best Arapaima of 170lbs. As ever it was always a pleasure to see John Fishing in Thailand, he has done more to raise awareness of the Thai Fishing scene than any other angler, and whatsmore, he's down to Earth friendly and polite, a true gentleman and all round great amabassador for our sport.

post-32215-0-61692000-1361928795_thumb.j

Edited by rufanuf

Dogpoo, our Arapaima fishing is 4000BHT for non members (memebers enjoy a 20% discount) and includes quality tackle hire and 10kgs of bait, if you think this is expensive you must know something most others dont.

I must be looking at the wrong web site then!!

1500bht per day, 1000 bht equipment hire(I have my own, 1500 bht bait, 600 for guide which I assume you must have, total 4600bht I would rather go to another fishery close by where I can use my own gear, certainly not going to pay 2000bht membership to enable me to use my own equipment!! What fish bait costs 1500bht?

Edited by dogpoo

This place seems very similar to Gillhams, probably high beverage prices, probably high food charges, 2000bht membership if you want to use your own equipment and receive the small discounts, unbelievable cost for bait(what bait is it? I am sure it is a great place for tourists, I am not a tourist and certainly not wealthy, I will stick to Cha Am fishing park, 200 bht per day which holds big fish, there predator lake which is 4000 bht per day including everything is better value for me if I ever decided to pay that amount( this lake holds enormous Arapaima plus other species, 60bht for a large beer, food is cheap and excellent, accommodation is cheap!!

Edited by dogpoo

John Wilson. I think he comes across as a moody **** but I do like his fishing shows. Was he just visiting his brother or was he planning to film more shows?

He was just visiting with his brother, he did say he was planning to retire in Thailand soon, he came across as a very happy contented man! Florida sounds great hope you catch many big un's.

I'm hoping it will be epic. I have talked to some locals who make really nice rods. Stand up marlin and tuna gear rather than jigging rods, with 80wide reels fished off the beach. When I asked them if they'd caught anything big they said no. Only 300 to 400lb fish. Tiger season is in Autumn so I'm too early for the 1000lb fish but might get some nice bulls.

Of course it is for tourists full stop, who is this membership aimed at? who will be able to fish this place on a regular basis at over 4000 bht per day? you get small discounts on high price beverages and high price food, you can only use your own equipment if you are a member, why? only wealthy people will be able to fish this place regularly, they will not be interested in saving a few bht, 1500 bht for dead bait, they will say " we don't want disease brought into the fishery by allowing people to bring there own bait" just another way to make money, what about all the rodents that will be using the lake could they not bring disease?

It's a business and therefor designed to make money at every opportunity, it is for tourists and not for people like me who live here unless of course you have more money than sense, I prefer another fishery that is designed for Thai people and ex-pats who like to fish at a very reasonable price!

I'm hoping it will be epic. I have talked to some locals who make really nice rods. Stand up marlin and tuna gear rather than jigging rods, with 80wide reels fished off the beach. When I asked them if they'd caught anything big they said no. Only 300 to 400lb fish. Tiger season is in Autumn so I'm too early for the 1000lb fish but might get some nice bulls.

That sounds amazing, have a great trip and bring back some good pictures of the monsters!!

Of course it is for tourists full stop, who is this membership aimed at? who will be able to fish this place on a regular basis at over 4000 bht per day? you get small discounts on high price beverages and high price food, you can only use your own equipment if you are a member, why? only wealthy people will be able to fish this place regularly, they will not be interested in saving a few bht, 1500 bht for dead bait, they will say " we don't want disease brought into the fishery by allowing people to bring there own bait" just another way to make money, what about all the rodents that will be using the lake could they not bring disease?

It's a business and therefor designed to make money at every opportunity, it is for tourists and not for people like me who live here unless of course you have more money than sense, I prefer another fishery that is designed for Thai people and ex-pats who like to fish at a very reasonable price!

You are correct Dogpoo, this place is not for you, it's for anglers who do their research before making decisions about where they fish, and can use a calculatortongue.png

You are correct Dogpoo, this place is not for you, it's for anglers who do their research before making decisions about where they fish, and can use a calculator

Don't get me wrong Eddie it looks like you have a stunning fishery in a great location, your venue obviously holds large fish which can be caught at a cost and this cost is affordable for tourists and wealthy people, we are not all wealthy and we are not all tourists, many of us have to fish where we can at a fee which is affordable, in my case I drive 9 hours to fish Cha Am fishing park, it is a great price for the big lake 200 bht per day where you can catch huge fish, there predator lake holds fish as big as your venue and is cheaper to fish, I do not have to pay a membership fee in order to use my own equipment!! are these the decisions anglers make before fishing a venue?

can you elaborate on the use of a calculator quote? your site clearly gives the fishing prices, where have I miss calculated?

Can you answer some of my questions in my post as I am sure it will interest others!!

Edited by dogpoo

Got my calculator out as suggested.

1. A La carte Tariff(day ticket.

2. Predator rod. 1500 bht

3 Tackle hire. 1000 bht

4. Sala 300 bht

5. Sea bait. 1500 bht

6. Guide if needed. 600 bht

Total. 4900 bht

Is this wrong?

If you want a second rod then the cost is a lot more!!

Advise if this is wrong? If this is wrong then your price list is confusing!

If the 800 bht per carp rod or 1500 bht per predator rod is for members only then say so!!

If tackle hire is for non members then say so!!

What happens if you run out of sea bait, is that another 1500 bht thank you very much!!

Edited by dogpoo

Fishery Package Rate

5800BHT per angler

Fishery Transfer Rate (per car up to 4 people)

From Bangkok - 1500BHT each way

From Bangkok Airport - 1800BHT each way

From Cha Am - 250BHT each way

From Hua Hin - 600BHT each way

From Pranburi - 1000BHT each way

From Pattaya - 2500BHT each way

PLEASE NOTE: Packaged Rate includes the following:- 2 day tickets, 1 tackle hire set, 10kgs of carp bait, 10kgs of deadbaits, bamboo bivvy.

For other transport options please see our "Getting Here" page, for minivans from BKK from 160BHT!

A La Carte Tariff

DAY TICKETS

(minimum 1 x rod per person)

800 THB per carp rod

1500 THB per predator rod

TACKLE HIRE

1000 THB per set (see below list)

2 x (Chub Carp Stalker 9ft 2.5lbTC and/or Custom 10ft Predator)

1 x Fox 'A' Rod Pods (with 2 x 3 rod buzz bars)

2 x Fox Micron 'M' Plus Bite Alarms

2x John Roberts Butt Grips

2 x Fox Micron 'M' Plus Bite Alarms

Extra 3rd Rod - 500 THB (comes with extra alarm / swinger / butt grip)

SALA (BAMBOO BIVVY)

300 THB

BAIT

(sold per person only)

10kg of hard carp pellet 1000 THB (hair rigged bait no gillie required)

10kg of soft dissolving carp pellet 1000 THB (primarily for method feeding - gillie may be required due to labour intensive fishing style)

10kg pack of sea baits 1500 THB

MEMBERSHIP

Annual Membership 2000 THB please see our Membership Page for more details

Syndicate Membership details on application

GILLIE

Fishery Gillies 600 THB per day

*NO BAIT FROM OUTSIDE PERMITTED ON THE FISHERY MEMBERS ONLY PERMITTED TO USE THEIR OWN TACKLE

**NO ROD, TACKLE OR BAIT SHARING PERMITTED ON THE FISHERY

Mate I am seriously confused by your tariff list, it has to be the most confusing thing I have ever seen!! I have read the tariff list many many times and still I am unsure as to the cost for a days fishing!!

Edited by dogpoo

Trying very hard to work this out.

Package rate. 5800 per angler, package contains 2 day tickets, is this for 2 anglers to fish for the day? 1 set of tackle hire does this mean the second angler has to hire tackle, as bait is sold per person only does this mean the second angler has to buy carp and predator bait? Very confused!! Got headache!!

Day tickets.

800 per carp rod, 1500 per predator rod, is this the price for a day ticket? I give up!!

Agreed the list is confusing but i feel its just a place intended for tourists only who have no idea of the fishing scene in thailand, Infact if many of the tourists knew the true prices of the venues on offer from guiding companys they would feel quite pissed off but if they are wise they only use their service one time.

Myself i,m always looking for new fishing venues and get as much information as possible then decide if i give them a try or not,

As a rod builder the idea of not being allowed to use my own would turn me off right away,

Of course many of these places are way off what i,m prepared to pay and get crossed off the list.. its not only a matter of being able to afford it but there comes a certain point in the pricing structure where its just not worth the money, A few end up as venues to visit maybe one time per year,

I even just got information about a fishing park with an arapaimer pond at the cost of 50bht per day..such a low price makes me sceptic but according to thai angler friends its there and available for lure, fly, live and dead bait and of course you have to use your own tackle, I will give it a try with a few friends in the next weeks,

I do in a way understand eddies pricing concept in as much as its not intended for expats or locals but only for tourists who dont have the knowhow or will to get the needed info of what is available here.

Edited by tingtongfarang

I'm interested. The biggest cost I would face is not working that day...

But the website price list is a little confusing. Can someone with authority spell out the cost to lure (actually fly) fish for a day, given I would want to use my own equipment because I'm picky like that? Seems that would be possible (using my own fly rod) if I were to pay 2000 baht for a yearlong membership?

While I agree that there are other venues with lower prices, anyone who pays $1500-3000 for a round trip ticket and $500-5000 to stay in a hotel for a week is really taking their chances if they don't do research. For many, their time is more valuable than the $200-300 they would save by poring over websites for hours and hours. I'd also gladly pay to line up a reliable place where I can phone ahead and speak to someone in English that can tell me if they'll REALLY be open next Friday- before I take the car ride. Ask me why that's a sore point...

Edited by impulse

I'm interested. The biggest cost I would face is not working that day...

But the website price list is a little confusing. Can someone with authority spell out the cost to lure (actually fly) fish for a day, given I would want to use my own equipment because I'm picky like that? Seems that would be possible (using my own fly rod) if I were to pay 2000 baht for a yearlong membership?

While I agree that there are other venues with lower prices, anyone who pays $1500-3000 for a round trip ticket and $500-5000 to stay in a hotel for a week is really taking their chances if they don't do research. For many, their time is more valuable than the $200-300 they would save by poring over websites for hours and hours. I'd also gladly pay to line up a reliable place where I can phone ahead and speak to someone in English that can tell me if they'll REALLY be open next Friday- before I take the car ride. Ask me why that's a sore point...

Let me guess...you went to pilot 111 on a friday the one day it does,nt operate?smile.png

There are places with amazon fish where you can both lure and fly fish for 2000bht...bait fishing is,nt allowed,

Edited by tingtongfarang

Look you have Cha Am fishing park, is there any argument at 200 bht per day to catch monsters? There predator lake holds big monsters and fishing is cheaper, it is not rocket science!!!

My mate has just fished Cha Am and caught a huge Araipaima plus other great fish, why do people go to these expensive places!!

I go back to Cha Am as often as I can because it is a very reasonable price, the people there are great, the fish are huge, it is not so easy to catch the monsters and that is what fishing is all about, who wants to go to a venue and catch big fish easily, working at it is far more satisfying!! Love Cha Am fishing park it's so much better than elsewhere!!

Edited by dogpoo

All true.

And there are hotels in Bangkok with nice beds that cost 800 baht per night.

Yet the hotels that charge 8,000 baht per night seem to be doing fine. I'll never stay at one of them, but I won't try to convince anyone that they are a ripoff.

• Like 1

I'm not saying Jurassic thingy is a rip off!! It is designed for tourists full stop and making the most money possible! I won't be going and many people I know will not be going also!! Fancy building a fishing resort next to a resort that undercuts them by miles!! Oooops!!

Or, like the 8,000 baht hotels, they have carefully calculated the amount of money they need to charge their customers to offer them the kind of experience they aspire to provide to their customers, and pay off the land, and pay their employees, and maintain and grow the business end, and give their shareholders (or owners) an acceptable return on the money they have put at risk.

I've never been there. These guys may be completely greedy. Or they may be nice guys that offer a better-than average fishing experience and charge what it takes to keep doing so.

Just hope the other, older fishing venues don't snap to the fact that their land can now be sold for a lot more money than they're making by offering inexpensive fishing. We'll have more condos and factories and fewer fishing choices...

BTW, on another note- I have nothing but high praise for Pilot 111. Great people, great fly fishing, great lure fishing, great prices, nice surroundings and I highly recommend their fried rice with shrimp for lunch.

Agreed the list is confusing but i feel its just a place intended for tourists only who have no idea of the fishing scene in thailand, Infact if many of the tourists knew the true prices of the venues on offer from guiding companys they would feel quite pissed off but if they are wise they only use their service one time.

Myself i,m always looking for new fishing venues and get as much information as possible then decide if i give them a try or not,

As a rod builder the idea of not being allowed to use my own would turn me off right away,

Of course many of these places are way off what i,m prepared to pay and get crossed off the list.. its not only a matter of being able to afford it but there comes a certain point in the pricing structure where its just not worth the money, A few end up as venues to visit maybe one time per year,

I even just got information about a fishing park with an arapaimer pond at the cost of 50bht per day..such a low price makes me sceptic but according to thai angler friends its there and available for lure, fly, live and dead bait and of course you have to use your own tackle, I will give it a try with a few friends in the next weeks,

I do in a way understand eddies pricing concept in as much as its not intended for expats or locals but only for tourists who dont have the knowhow or will to get the needed info of what is available here.

I spent a long time in Thailand not fishing because I saw the costs were 5000THB a day on any English sites about Thai fishing. When I found out that visiting these places myself would often cost me around 200 THB per rod I was pretty pi**ed off as you suggested. It makes sense because how can Thai's who earn 3000 baht a month fish? When it's 50, 150 or 200 THB a day it makes sense.

I know these guides have to make a living but they are doing a good job of hiding the true costs to fill their pockets. The big venues that don't get lots of regular customers will have to go for the low turnover higher cost approach. If these are run by Thais the cost can be much lower than the likes of this Jurassic place. Once I've spent 100,000 THB on plane tickets for me and the wife, maybe 15,000 THB on a hotel and the same on food I'm pretty happy to fish my tried and tested fishing parks for 1000THB a week.

Serious question now, the Jurassic tariff list is confusing, has any one worked out yet how much it costs to fish there for a day? For the non tourist it would be great to see what the food and drinks costs are at this resort, the cost for fishing is one thing but in planning a trip to fish a venue you need to know all hidden costs to be able to avoid a high bill, at the end of the day this resort is not here to cater to ordinary ex-pats it is here to cater purely to tourists who for whatever reason do not mind parting with a bucket load of money for the privilege of catching a big fish which if course can not be guaranteed, good luck to them the fishery looks amazing with an amazing price!!

Edited by dogpoo

Think I have at last worked out how much to fish there using there tackle and fishing one predator rod, day ticket 1500bht tackle hire 1000 bht would rather use my own quality gear!! Sea bait 1500 bht god knows what sea bait could cost this much!! Total 4000 bht if you should run out of sea bait that will cost you another 1500 bht now add the obvious high drink and food charges which makes this a place to avoid if you are on a budget!!

Edited by dogpoo