School Term To Shift By A Month To Coincide With Schools In Asean: Thailand

webfact

School term to shift by a month to coincide with schools in ASEAN

BANGKOK, 27 February 2013 (NNT) – Schools under the Office of the Basic Education Commission (OBEC) will shift its opening term from May 16th to June 10th of every year, starting next year to coincide with schools in other ASEAN countries.

The OBEC revealed that Education Minister Phongthep Thepkanjana has signed the agreement for the shift of school calendar, which will take effect from the 2014 academic year.

Earlier the OBEC had gathered opinions from academics, parents, and related individuals about the move to shift the academic calendar. It found that most agreed with the shift and saw that it would not affect students much.

The OBEC will discuss with related agencies if the shift would affect their operations or not.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-02-27 footer_n.gif

I just asked the director of a category 15/1 private school in Chiang Mai about this and she said it doesn't affect her school. It may, it's just that she hasn't been told - not uncommon in Thailand.

Update

The director just made a call to check and said it does affect her school.

So, when does the 2013/14 academic year end? Will there be a 2-month break next year?

Edited by Loaded

Does this mean the change will happen this year, as in the 2013/2014 Academic year or for the following year, as in 2014/2015 Academic year?

The article says 'next year' so I assume not this coming June, but June 2014. No mention about this year at my school. Wouldn't mind another month off!
  • Like 1

I just asked the director of a category 15/1 private school in Chiang Mai about this and she said it doesn't affect her school. It may, it's just that she hasn't been told - not uncommon in Thailand.

Update

The director just made a call to check and said it does affect her school.

So, when does the 2013/14 academic year end? Will there be a 2-month break next year?

I think academic year 2013 will end around the beginning of March 2014. As usual! However, in 2014 the students and teachers will have a break from the beginning of March until 10 June 2014. The semester break will be from around 1 November 2014 until 1 December 2015. The second semester will end at the beginning of April 2015.

^Expect an extra long summer school next year!

We normally have 2 weeks vacation, plus a week at Songkran every April. While we might end up with 6 weeks + Songkran vacation next year, I rather suspect that our normal 4 week long "Summer Camp" will be extended to be an 8 week Summer Camp.

^Expect an extra long summer school next year!

We normally have 2 weeks vacation, plus a week at Songkran every April. While we might end up with 6 weeks + Songkran vacation next year, I rather suspect that our normal 4 week long "Summer Camp" will be extended to be an 8 week Summer Camp.

.....or unpaid leave.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Does this mean the change will happen this year, as in the 2013/2014 Academic year or for the following year, as in 2014/2015 Academic year?

The article says 'next year' so I assume not this coming June, but June 2014. No mention about this year at my school. Wouldn't mind another month off!

I would have thought that it has just shifted a month and that the annual term holiday period will amount to the same length of time

• 9 months later...