Where Is Jim?

swissie

Seems to me, that whenever Jim decides to go on a break and not posting here for a while, the Isaan-Forum goes into some kind of "merlin-sleep". Most of the other new posts are terrible routine. = Where can I get..................?

On the other hand, hearing about happenings on the rubber-plantation and generally living in a "border-region", and the stories that come with it, always make good reading.

Don't know if Jim is sick, or organizing a labor-union on behalf of his workers or just getting tired of dispensing good advice in favour of farangs, that in the end won't listen to him anyway ????wink.png

Cheers.

• Like 1

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now we wait to see if Jim rises to the occasion and elaborates on his current laid-back lifestyle. To be honest, I wouldn't blame him if he just carries on taking it easy for a while - taking a break from the crowd that, usually well into his threads, end up trying to turn his tales of local life into off-topic and irrelevant drama. At least we know Jim is undaunted by that mob. When you're ready, Jim! In your own time. We patiently await.

I'm still here, just not doing much, it's hotter than the hobs of hell, hottest I can renumber for this time of year.

Trees are asleep and so are the dogs and people, too hot to move. Have taken up full time beer drinking, very bored at the moment, waiting for the rains.

Jim

Means he's very busy. Get on your bike Jim and come over, beers on me! biggrin.png

Edited by bergen
  • Like 1

I'm still here, just not doing much, it's hotter than the hobs of hell, hottest I can renumber for this time of year.

Trees are asleep and so are the dogs and people, too hot to move. Have taken up full time beer drinking, very bored at the moment, waiting for the rains.

Jim

Means he's very busy. Get on your bike Jim and come over, beers on me! biggrin.png
Will be down Trond, been watching the builders, FILs job normally, but it's been so hot, he's taken to living in the mountains.

Run out of money for builders, so they have to stop until the rubber begins again.

As soon as I see the dark green leaves on the trees I'm on the bike.

Or you can come here. Jim

The Isaan forum is covering a to big area thats why I don't post a lot here but other places that are more local.

This forum covers a large area of Thailand with a lot of farangs but still have a very low priority on TV, if it were changed into 3-4 different forums I think you would see a lot more activity since 75% of the posts here has nothing to do with my area but if it were Sisaket, Ubon, Surin, Roi et, Yasothon, Amnat Charoen, Then another for the real NE, and another with the "central NE" and so on it would have more people here.

The issue with someone doing a local forum is the libel and lese majeste laws, so its not worth even on a hobby level to run a local forum and TV seems to not care about the Isaan people if you split this forum into 3 these would still be bigger than half of the current local forums.

The Isaan forum is covering a to big area thats why I don't post a lot here but other places that are more local.

This forum covers a large area of Thailand with a lot of farangs but still have a very low priority on TV, if it were changed into 3-4 different forums I think you would see a lot more activity since 75% of the posts here has nothing to do with my area but if it were Sisaket, Ubon, Surin, Roi et, Yasothon, Amnat Charoen, Then another for the real NE, and another with the "central NE" and so on it would have more people here.

The issue with someone doing a local forum is the libel and lese majeste laws, so its not worth even on a hobby level to run a local forum and TV seems to not care about the Isaan people if you split this forum into 3 these would still be bigger than half of the current local forums.

So big an area that you have missed out Korat, Buriram and Surin.

(Ironically, all those have/had local forums !).

• Like 1

I really agree with this and have wondered about it. Isaan isn't so homogenous. Even for farming it has various weather, soil types, crops, water availability and elevations. It has different cultures and even languages from end to end and top to bottom.

It is too large and too diversified to lump into one forum. A lot of times when people are posting I have no idea where in Isaan they are, so I can't make a relative connection.

I want to move to Isaan but I don't know where yet. Breaking the forums up would allow more information to be gleaned. One part of me wants to move to the Surin/Buriram/Sisaket general area but I'm worried about the heat. Another of me wants to go nearer to Sakhon Nakhon but I'd like to hear more about living on the ground there. The end result is that I'll probably start out with a rental in Udonthani and travel a lot until I find a place to land.

Mods? Please?

So big an area that you have missed out Korat, Buriram and Surin.

(Ironically, all those have/had local forums !).

I know of one of those thats the Surin Farang and its not that busy and very slow when it comes to non-Surin things. As far as I know there is nothing local for anything east of Surin not even a forum for people in Ubon despite having a lot of farangs. Korat is 350kms from me, Burinam close to that, I need local information within100-150kms. with your argument why does Eastern Thailand have a forum of their own, why not add it to the Pattaya forum?

In Sisaket most people did not know about the water park in Sunee until a few months back and its a great day out for the kids, the new safari zoo have been mentioned here a couple of times.

I check TV multiple times every day but its just for the news thread, I check the Isaan forum 1-2 times a week because most of the information is not relevant to me, if it were the 6-8-10 most Eastern provinces i.e. a lot smaller area the information would be more relevant to me so I would check the forum more often.

• Like 2

I really agree with this and have wondered about it. Isaan isn't so homogenous. Even for farming it has various weather, soil types, crops, water availability and elevations. It has different cultures and even languages from end to end and top to bottom.

It is too large and too diversified to lump into one forum. A lot of times when people are posting I have no idea where in Isaan they are, so I can't make a relative connection.

I want to move to Isaan but I don't know where yet. Breaking the forums up would allow more information to be gleaned. One part of me wants to move to the Surin/Buriram/Sisaket general area but I'm worried about the heat. Another of me wants to go nearer to Sakhon Nakhon but I'd like to hear more about living on the ground there. The end result is that I'll probably start out with a rental in Udonthani and travel a lot until I find a place to land.

Mods? Please?

I lived in Sisaket for a few years and why does Sisaket go in the same local forum as Udon Thani there is a world of difference between those two places, or Ubon and Udon!

• Like 1

There are lots of big cities in Isaan. Each, and its surrounding countryside is different. I mean cities with hundreds of thousands of people. If one includes Korat, then Ubon and Udon not to mention Khon Kaen, and the outlying areas of each, they are different worlds. Then there are small places where I know there are expats from Loei to Kantharalak which simply can't be lumped.

Mods?

Who's Jim?

A local celeb?

Want to meet him next time I am there, put a face to a poster.

Has been open invitation for years, want to come out to the badlands, bring beer and I will supply a bed and food.

Anyone is welcome, don't see many white , English speaking people out here .Jim

• Like 1

Mods? Please?

I want to move to Isaan but I don't know where yet.

Why in gawds name would you want to move to Issan?

There are much better places in Thailand, lets be honest most guys end up in Issan because of their tee rak.

One part of me wants to move to the Surin/Buriram/Sisaket general area

Jeez, I suggest you visit the area, it will soon dispel such notions.

The two week millionaires who fly in once a year may paint a different picture to the guys would live (read stuck) here full time.

• Like 1

okay we know where Jim is but what about Ian F and that errant pig farmer Pigeon Jake..hope nothing happened to PJs happiness bubble..that would be a shame!?

Ian F has been cast into the wilderness, sadly never to be seen again sad.png , PJ L believe is OK.

You all will hate Ubon cos l live there. laugh.png Noooooooooo ruskies, no anything, only me (and a few others) but we rather you go elsewhere so we can Wai everyone and drag race from the lights. thumbsup.gif

You can always tell the ones who are not from Udon. THey stop on the red light. Transam and his cronies start their lights rate on the redsmile.png

August time then it is. Be good to know friends up there.

Where are you?

Google map Ban Sang Hom, think there are 2 of them, I'm the one on the Lao land border. Jim
In southern Isaan near Pakse (lao side)?
Further South near the Camdo border, south of Buntharik and towards Lao off the 2248. Jim

August time then it is. Be good to know friends up there.

Where are you?

Google map Ban Sang Hom, think there are 2 of them, I'm the one on the Lao land border. Jim
In southern Isaan near Pakse (lao side)?
Further South near the Camdo border, south of Buntharik and towards Lao off the 2248. Jim

Got it....thanks. Live in the far North East (closest city Nong Khai) have never been that far south. Looking at photos of your home and they are great. Wonderful property you have there. Compared with our property (all of 4 homes nearby) we are a booming city compared to your area!

• Like 1

Jim

Glad, I got the bear out of hybernation. biggrin.png

Cheers.

• Like 1