webfact

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW
'Don't give all power to one family'

Tanatpong Kongsai
The Nation

30201001-01_big.jpg
Ong-art

Democrat election director hopes Bangkok voters come out in full force

BANGKOK: -- Ong-art Klampaiboon, the Democrat Party election director, said he hoped Bangkokians would come out in full force to vote for Sukhumbhand Paribatra and relay the message that they do not want the entire country to be controlled by just one family.

"This election has special significance because it will decide whether Bangkokians are willing to give all the power to Pheu Thai, a certain group of people or a single family," Ong-art said.

"If the Democrat candidate wins, then it will be a message to those in power that most Bangkokians do not want to see the entire country being monopolised by one family or a certain group of people, but that they want to see a decentralisation of power. However, we are ready to accept the outcome."

Ong-art said he hoped to see a high voter turnout because statistics show that Democrats usually win when the turnout is high.

He admitted that it was tougher for an incumbent candidate to retain his seat in comparison to new faces. He explained that a new face would always have an advantage because people will have already seen the incumbent's performance, while people would want to test a newcomer.

Anyway, he said, the Democrat Party had mobilised its MPs and high-profile members to beg for support so the incumbent Sukhumbhand can complete his unfinished projects. Ong-art added that he expected it to be tight race.

Ong-art went on to say that "seamless cooperation with the national government" campaign motto of the Pheu Thai candidate was just a tactic.

"If cooperation was really seamless, then the Bangkok governor should not be elected but appointed by the government, like provincial governors are, so the powers that be can order them to do anything. However, the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration Act requires Bangkok residents to elect their own governor, so this so-called seamless cooperation will never be real," Ong-art said.

"If the governor comes from the coalition leader, will he have to be replaced in two years if the leader of the coalition changes after general elections?" Ong-art asked.

He went on to say that the previous Bangkok governors, who were from the Democrat Party, had no problems working with the state government over the past eight years, citing governments led by Thaksin Shinawatra, Surayud Chulanont, Samak Sundaravej and Somchai Wongsawat.

He added that Sukhumbhand only had problems with the Pheu Thai-led government over the past six months or so. He went on to say that he believed Pheu Thai MPs wanted to discredit Sukhumbhand ahead of the voting.

"The public learned about this much later and now the number of Democrat supporters has increased," Ong-art said.

"Earlier, we were able to work well with the government. It always supported us but problems arose after the flooding. I'm not sure whether or not these conflicts were planned to try and influence people's votes."

Ong-art said the Pheu Thai candidate had promised several mass-transport systems, but these systems can only be implemented by the national government so it does not matter which party the governor comes from.

He said the party has created a new set of pink stickers to put on Sukhubhand's campaign posters to try and win more support. The stickers carry messages like: "I work hard for Bangkokians", "I'm honest, not a cheat", "This Democrat stays put for Bangkokians" and "Joining forces against monopoly".

He said Democrat leader Abhisit Vejjajiva, Sukhumbhand and other leading Democrats will gather at 6.30am to campaign at Wong Wien Yai today and hold a press conference at the Talad Plu BTS station at 3pm. The candidate's last major campaign will be held at Benjasiri Park near the Emporium shopping mall at 4pm.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-03-01

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I recently heard: Thailand is the name of the Shinawatra family business.

The warning signs were there when Mr T used to call himself Thailand's CEO.

and announced that TRT would be in-power for 20+ years.

So vote Democrats. Problem solved?

Perhaps the Democrats need to learn to be smart. And may be they will be smarter if they lose this election.

But it doesn't matter anyway. The military will do something. It's just part of the Thai-style Democracy isn't it?

Don't give all power to one family ... Too late.

Instead lets continue with all the power in the hands of a few families known collectively as the Amart

Did you enjoy your time at Ratchaprasong?

• Like 2

Don't give all power to one family ... Too late.

Instead lets continue with all the power in the hands of a few families known collectively as the Amart

Did you enjoy your time at Ratchaprasong?

Eyang Wa!

What hypocritical tripe coming from those that represent the wealthy families that have held a monopoly grip on Thailand for centuries... more tit for tat BS.

How about a truly novel idea, a political party that represents none of the wealthy families and relies simply on people voting for them and not shady sponsors or behind the scenes power brokers? Sorry, stupid suggestion, clearly that would never work in a real democracy... let alone Thailand.

I agree! And how about the Thai people being able to vote where they live instead of having to return to their home province to vote? Or doing away with vote buying?

The Democrats could start with Phuket. Aren't most of the major landholdings controlled by a handful of families, all closely aligned with the Democrats?

What about hundreds of villages controlled by Red units, where all in the village have to conform or be outlawed. this is far worse than the Phuket resort being run by Dems and others---example Samui ???

Edited by ginjag
  • Like 1

The Democrats could start with Phuket. Aren't most of the major landholdings controlled by a handful of families, all closely aligned with the Democrats?

What about hundreds of villages controlled by Red units, where all in the village have to conform or be outlawed. this is far worse than the Phuket resort being run by Dems and others---example Samui ???

I wanted to edit but it does not allow me, ?????

I suppose it is in some ways they are. But then again they are not altering land titles for their own profit like some "connected families" here in Phuket...

• Like 1

One can only trust that it won't be sold off to Temasek/Singapore, this time round. wink.png

But then again, it might work out better for the country that way, in the long-term ? rolleyes.gif

Naw, never happen.

They will sell it to China as a sea port route.

• Like 2

What hypocritical tripe coming from those that represent the wealthy families that have held a monopoly grip on Thailand for centuries... more tit for tat BS.

How about a truly novel idea, a political party that represents none of the wealthy families and relies simply on people voting for them and not shady sponsors or behind the scenes power brokers? Sorry, stupid suggestion, clearly that would never work in a real democracy... let alone Thailand.

I agree! And how about the Thai people being able to vote where they live instead of having to return to their home province to vote? Or doing away with vote buying?

Then they should lose their vote in their home province: Fair trade I reckon.

So, if I understand the posts here correctly, all here agree not to give power to one family. That seems to include the Shinewatras and their political party Pheu Thai as well. At least those are part of the topic and we wouldn't like to stray, now would we

There is a lot of anti Thaksin sentiment in Thai visa forums mostly from farangs. Whatever way you look at it, Thaksin has won the past four elections hands down despite all the barriers and political play the opposite ruling elite has thrown against him. So whenever his sister asks for his advice, remember the Thai people chose her only because the Thai people know he will the back bone. And the Thai people are happy to see him play an active role.

No, I am not a Thaksin supporter at all. But I do support democracy and very happy to see it being played out 'Thai style' in Thailand. Yes, 'Thai style' not farang style democracy. Remember TIT.

Then they should lose their vote in their home province: Fair trade I reckon.

Amazing that I can vote here in Thailand for my elections in California, USA by mail, fax or internet. I suppose if they tried that here it would be corrupted in some way, unfortunately.

Never believe anyone in politics, its part of their

training and upbringing to tell un-truths or in other words lies and in my 30

years of business I have learnt to never trust a liar.

Not sure what lie you are referring to. I personally agree that a PT win will put all of Thailand in the hands of one family.

A good point that should have been worked on long ago.