Yamaha Dealer In Pattaya - Deep Discounts

cigar7

Does anyone know of a good Yamaha motorcycle dealer in Pattaya that gives good deep discounts?

I am looking to buy a new Yamaha Nouvo SX with alloy rims. Lowest offer I have is 58K baht with insurance, registration and taxes. I heard in some other cities the same bike can be had for 54K baht.

When I bought my new car the Pattaya dealer offered no discount at all but did offer a selection of freebies. In spite of me trying very hard he would not move on the price.

So via a Thai intermediary I contacted a Bangkok dealer who quickly offered the same freebies plus 20,000B discount for the same car.

So I went back to the Pattaya dealer and said "match this or I buy in Bangkok". After a long phone call to his "boss" he did indeed match it. Had I sent the ball back and forth a few times I probably could have got a bit more off.

Next time I will bypass the Pattaya dealer completely and do the whole thing in Bangkok as the local dealers just piss me off.

I dont see why the situation should be very different with motorbikes.

When I bought my new car the Pattaya dealer offered no discount at all but did offer a selection of freebies. In spite of me trying very hard he would not move on the price.

So via a Thai intermediary I contacted a Bangkok dealer who quickly offered the same freebies plus 20,000B discount for the same car.

So I went back to the Pattaya dealer and said "match this or I buy in Bangkok". After a long phone call to his "boss" he did indeed match it. Had I sent the ball back and forth a few times I probably could have got a bit more off.

Next time I will bypass the Pattaya dealer completely and do the whole thing in Bangkok as the local dealers just piss me off.

The "situation" as you describe it probably is no different for motorbikes that it is for cars, at least in percentage terms. You'll "do the whole thing in Bangkok" to save B20,000. Not a bad deal for a car maybe, but for a mkotorbike? Assuming that the car was B900,000 or more, that B20,000 represents a 2.222% savings on the price. Maybe B20,000 justifies the time. effort and expense you would go through buying your car in Bangkok. Here, however, the OP is looking for a Yamaha motorbike for B58,000. That same percentage savings on the much lower priced motorbike is B1,288.89!! Just the transactions costs and the cost of going to and bringing the bike back from Bangkok are probably more than three times that amount (are you going to drive a 125cc motorbike back from Bangkok?). There is a reason that people by bikes very close to home. I understand that you won't pay B50 for a bottle of water (it's a "ripoff"), but there is a limit to saving money (actually, what you describe isn't saving money at all, if you take into account all of the costs and expenses), and you have passed it..... really!

I was just describing the situation I encountered and I appreciate that the relative savings on a motorbike will be different. The OP will make up his own mind as to whether saving X000Baht is worthwhile for him, though from his original post it seems as though it might be, as otherwise he presumably wouldnt have bothered posting at all.

Would I travel to Bangkok just to save 20K? Maybe, maybe not. Would I travel to Bangkok to avoid having to deal with Pattaya dealers even though it costs me extra? Certainly. Principle is much more important than money to me.

YMMV

• Like 1

The "situation" as you describe it probably is no different for motorbikes that it is for cars, at least in percentage terms. You'll "do the whole thing in Bangkok" to save B20,000. Not a bad deal for a car maybe, but for a mkotorbike? Assuming that the car was B900,000 or more, that B20,000 represents a 2.222% savings on the price. Maybe B20,000 justifies the time. effort and expense you would go through buying your car in Bangkok. Here, however, the OP is looking for a Yamaha motorbike for B58,000. That same percentage savings on the much lower priced motorbike is B1,288.89!! Just the transactions costs and the cost of going to and bringing the bike back from Bangkok are probably more than three times that amount (are you going to drive a 125cc motorbike back from Bangkok?). There is a reason that people by bikes very close to home. I understand that you won't pay B50 for a bottle of water (it's a "ripoff"), but there is a limit to saving money (actually, what you describe isn't saving money at all, if you take into account all of the costs and expenses), and you have passed it..... really!

There are hundreds if not thousands of motorbike dealers between Pattaya and Bangkok, so will only have to travel a few kilometers outside of Pattaya to get a better deal.

Anyway, when you have a warranty issue you will have to travel to that dealer outside Pattaya as the Pattaya dealer will refuse you warranty.

Have a friend who bought a bike at the dealer who has the Pattaya monopoly on bikes and when he recently had a warranty issue they wanted to charge him almost 3000 Baht as they said it was no warranty.

A simple call to the manufacturer resulted in the issue without any discussion resolved under warranty at a dealer in Sriracha, because the manufacturer admitted there were problems with the Pattaya dealer.

Anyway, when you have a warranty issue you will have to travel to that dealer outside Pattaya as the Pattaya dealer will refuse you warranty.

I dont know what happens with motorbikes but with cars the manufacturer should oblige the Pattaya dealer to honour warranties for vehicles bought elsewhere, and this is what has happened in instances I am aware of.

I dont know what happens with motorbikes but with cars the manufacturer should oblige the Pattaya dealer to honour warranties for vehicles bought elsewhere, and this is what has happened in instances I am aware of.

If you read my previous post again, you will notice that the manufacturer couldn't even force the Pattaya dealer to honour warranty on a bike bought at his own shop.

And why? The dealer I'm talking about sells every major brand available, at the same time he owns 90% of the motorbike shops in Pattaya.

So what the manufacturer gonna do ? Don't deliver bikes to him anymore ? He will be cutting in his own flesh as he will lose a big market.

Edited by jbrain

i actually think in Pattaya one can get pretty good prices for bikes.

even mytion to mytion prices vary, all down to if they really want/need/must make a sale.

The one on pattaya tai, has been the worst shop for the past about 3 years, though 4 years ago i bought a Nuovo Elegance for 52000 with rims, free helmet and everything else.

When buying PCX, i got best deal from the one in pattaya nua

and now buying forza, from the one on sukhumvit road.

just keep shopping around and asking for better deal , eventually you will get it.

I would advise to go away from the main shops to smaller ones, as they get less customers and more pressed to sell

If you read my previous post again, you will notice that the manufacturer couldn't even force the Pattaya dealer to honour warranty on a bike bought at his own shop.

And why? The dealer I'm talking about sells every major brand available, at the same time he owns 90% of the motorbike shops in Pattaya.

So what the manufacturer gonna do ? Don't deliver bikes to him anymore ? He will be cutting in his own flesh as he will lose a big market.

Manufacturer can pick up the bike and take it to one of their shops.

They must force the dealer one way or another, because you get factory, ie manufacturer warranty, not the dealer warranty.

I am sure, can just take it to a shop of your choice also and get the manufacturer to pay for the repairs.

It is also possible that the said dealer, refused to do the repairs, because the manufacturer refused to pay for it

I looked around at the different shops in Pattaya, for a Honda Click. For one thing, most shops are too busy to talk to you, and if they do have time, they dont speak English, and if you hang around, waiting for someone to come and speak English, you might as well give up.

The shop I bought from, told me to bring it back for the service, but when I did, they said, take it to the shop up the street. So apparently, some shops dont do the service, for one reason or another. For a couple thousand baht, I wouldnt waste time shoping around too much, and in the end, you might not even get what they promised. I think most shops have the same price, and are not interested in our farang way of buying. Maybe a free helmet and jacket, but dont hold your breath, waiting for that DEEP discount.

Well, if you think that 199 baht helmet is free, then you are a lucky person. I got a free jacket too, but of course it didnt fit! hahahahaha. I even tried trading the free helmet for the 20 baht plastic, that holds the tax paper, but they werent going for it!

Well, if you think that 199 baht helmet is free, then you are a lucky person. I got a free jacket too, but of course it didnt fit! hahahahaha. I even tried trading the free helmet for the 20 baht plastic, that holds the tax paper, but they werent going for it!

i kid you not, but i did manage to get some cash discounts before and last free helmet was actually a nice "real" brand, half face with shades

They must force the dealer one way or another, because you get factory, ie manufacturer warranty, not the dealer warranty.

I am sure, can just take it to a shop of your choice also and get the manufacturer to pay for the repairs.

It is also possible that the said dealer, refused to do the repairs, because the manufacturer refused to pay for it

I know of that case as well :)

Manufacturer did honor the warranty.

They actually replaced other parts as well free of charge (and without asking) as according to them they would have been negatively impacted by the defect. Eventhough those parts would have needed to get replaced pretty soon anyway due to regular wear an tear...

All done while drinking free coffee, a cookie and free wifi...

No, not in Pattaya :lol:

The problem lied in the fact that the local dealer simply refused to accept it as a warranty repair, but rather wrote it up as "improper usage".

I know of that case as well smile.png

They actually replaced other parts as well free of charge (and without asking) as according to them they would have been negatively impacted by the defect. Eventhough those parts would have needed to get replaced pretty soon anyway due to regular wear an tear...

No, not in Pattaya laugh.png

The problem lied in the fact that the local dealer simply refused to accept it as a warranty repair, but rather wrote it up as "improper usage".

The last sentence in your post, i find rather confusing. What i mean is, what is the difference to a dealer who pays?

If manufacturer happy to accept the warranty claim, dealer gets paid by them, so its rather really interesting, or there must be something to it.

Weird if you ask me

I know of that case as well smile.png

No, not in Pattaya laugh.png

The last sentence in your post, i find rather confusing. What i mean is, what is the difference to a dealer who pays?

If manufacturer happy to accept the warranty claim, dealer gets paid by them, so its rather really interesting, or there must be something to it.

Weird if you ask me

The keyword are " Power " and " Thainess"

Not really that strange maybe.

Dealer is busy, they actually have a waiting list with a long line of half repaired bikes.

On which they likely make much more money then the set prices offered by the manufacturer for warranty repairs.

There's umpteen posts on the forum from members scratching their heads, walking through shops of said dealer, cash in pocket wanting to buy a bike, yet utterly failing to get a salesperson to come over and make a sale.

Weird to me as well, yet true as wittnessed myself!

The difference of how things happen in the city dealers and the dealers in the next city is surreal and almost doesn't make sense.

I was thinking exactly the same as you, why are they so hard, they should be making money out of the warranty repairs.

Fixed prices for new scooters wherever you go, and they don't discount because they know that no other shop will. They prefer you buy a bike from a different shop rather than to discount, because the guy who doesn't buy at the other shop comes to them. Buy that Nuovo 2nd hand, 2 years old, 10k to 20k on the counter. Half the price. Best privately from someone, all the shops cheat and turn the counter back. Or at an auction.

Fixed prices for new scooters wherever you go, and they don't discount because they know that no other shop will. They prefer you buy a bike from a different shop rather than to discount, because the guy who doesn't buy at the other shop comes to them. Buy that Nuovo 2nd hand, 2 years old, 10k to 20k on the counter. Half the price. Best privately from someone, all the shops cheat and turn the counter back. Or at an auction.

2 year old Nuovo's , or any other brandname bikes for that matter, at half the price. Could you post some links please, as I want to buy a few.

Oh, and don't refer to the auctions on Thepprasit as I know what goes there at what price. and it isn't even close to what you proclaim here.

Edited by jbrain

I'm no expert here, but when I was shopping for a car and then a scooter in another province, wifey warned me about the registration issues. And red tag issues.

My neighbor has a house in Bangkok and Pattaya. She bought her car, I believe, here in Pattaya. While driving home from Bangkok late one night, the police stopped her and made her stay in a hotel until the next day. I guess there are issues with out of province red tags after dark?

Anyone else know about this? Could the same apply to scooters??? And what about changing the registration? I've read horror stories from those who bought out of province scooters at the Thepprasit auction.

There seem to be issues with out of province, for some, its a big problem, for others, a small problem. But if your out to save a few thousand baht, then all these small problems may add up to big money. The bikes at the auction cannot be test driven, and no guarantee, so your taking a chance. Unless your an expert on bikes, then I would avoid the auction, just buy from a private person, and test drive it.

Of course now days, you may have to ride around on red plates for half a year, so maybe no big thing, driving at night.

I'm no expert here, but when I was shopping for a car and then a scooter in another province, wifey warned me about the registration issues. And red tag issues.

My neighbor has a house in Bangkok and Pattaya. She bought her car, I believe, here in Pattaya. While driving home from Bangkok late one night, the police stopped her and made her stay in a hotel until the next day. I guess there are issues with out of province red tags after dark?

Anyone else know about this? Could the same apply to scooters??? And what about changing the registration? I've read horror stories from those who bought out of province scooters at the Thepprasit auction.

craig we bought a car in Bangkok, registered there even though living in Pattaya and one year later renewed tax in Pattaya no problem.

I think the law is you are not supposed to drive on red plates out of province after 6 pm but depends how unlucky you are if stopped - couple of topics in motor forum on this in the past. We were lucky in that white plates came about 6 weeks later so was never a real issue. As fakename says though with the problems getting white plates lot of cars must be in breach so not sure how that is working...

Edit - and the reason we bought in BKK were as per BPBs posts.

Edited by topt

Yes the red plate is no driving after 18pm which totally and utterly does not make any sense.

As red plate means a new vehicle it sure does not mean just got the license .

Not only that but those without a license when caught are fined 500 baht and allowed to keep on driving. So why would they ground a driver in a new car.

I guess one of those that does not make much sense rules

Nice auction link, without prices of course, please let us know if any of the few 2 years old went for half the price of new.

Don't be surprised if they went for a fair bit higher.

Never been to an auction of bikes, so I guess you might be right. I exchange my 2nd hand scooters every two years at the same shop, and the new ones were every time about half the listing price of a brand new bike of the same model. At the Pattaya-Addicts forum many scooters are sold privately, when 2 years old in the range between 20k and 30k. You can also check the online markets. Here's a bike for sale in Pattaya, as example. http://www.bahtsold.com/view/yamaha-mio125-rr-14-months-old-7-000kms-128267?doqs=1

I think the law is you are not supposed to drive on red plates out of province after 6 pm but depends how unlucky you are if stopped....

The law says that you aren't supposed to use red plates at all after dusk, regardless of where you are. You are also supposed to complete the red plate log book for each and every trip no matter where from or to.

The reasoning behind this is that the red plates are supposed to be only for dealers to use whilst delivering the vehicle etc.

In practice the police dont seem to care much about red plates after dusk in the province of issue but they do outside that province. Since the global white plate penury struck Thailand all the police have also been given instructions to be very lenient about people driving without white plates (or even with no plates) and in general once you have a valid tax disc they dont seem to be too bothered about the plates at all.

I dont know to what extent motorbikes are treated the same way.

With the backlog of white plates, it might take forever for every bike and car to have them. I just dont see how police can find stolen vehicles, when all you have to do is remove the plate, and no one cares, unless its a traffic checkpoint.

Red plate log book? Never heard of it. My bike sure doesnt have one.

With the backlog of white plates, it might take forever for every bike and car to have them. I just dont see how police can find stolen vehicles, when all you have to do is remove the plate, and no one cares, unless its a traffic checkpoint.

Red plate log book? Never heard of it. My bike sure doesnt have one.

Two types of red plate, one is just a red plate for show, the other red plate, a real one, has an embossed stamp on it and comes with a log book, the plate and the log book needs to be returned to the dealer when you get the white plates.

With a real red plate and logbook there is no restrictions about driving after dark or outside the province of issue.

Some topics about red plates in the motoring forum.

With the backlog of white plates, it might take forever for every bike and car to have them. I just dont see how police can find stolen vehicles, when all you have to do is remove the plate, and no one cares, unless its a traffic checkpoint.Red plate log book? Never heard of it. My bike sure doesnt have one.

Has a real embossed red plate when bought my.bike, but never seen the log book.

With cars you normally get the logbook (brown if not mistaken).