Seven Dead In East Pattaya Minivan Crash

Rimmer

Seven dead in East Pattaya Minivan crash

van-4.jpg
PATTAYA:--Just before 9am on Saturday Nongprue Police and rescue services were called to Highway 36 close to the Bira International Racing Circuit to deal with a fatal road crash which left seven people dead.

Due to the seriousness of the incident Police Major General Katcha, the Provincial Police Commander, was in attendance to oversee the initial stages of the investigation.
A Toyota Commuter Minivan Taxi which runs from Bangkok to Map Ta Put in Rayong Province had come off the road and rolled over, coming to a stop when it slammed into a steel pylon.

A fire then took hold of the vehicle which contained a total of 10 people. Three were seriously injured and taken to the Queen Sirigit Hospital while seven were unable to exit the vehicle and were burnt alive. It took firefighters 30 minutes to extinguish the flames.
Full story:http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/77243/dead-east-pattaya-minivan-crash/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2013-03-02

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two gas tanks fitted inside the van? What kind of idiot would do this?

Hard to believe anyone could first fit gas tanks inside the vehicle and second operate such a death trap.

The owner of the vehicle and the installer of the fuel system should be sued for everything.

I have been in several of these and you must have a careful and good driver. We normally have our family arrive from Barriram to Pattaya for a week vacation when we arrive fromthe states. The drivers from my wives area all have seemed responsible. I also do a visual check on the tires and condition of the mini van. Now seeing this story, I will only use the newer mini van types and hope for the best...

Such a terrible accident. Imagine how the victims experienced their last moments on earth. Not trying to be being insensitive but no wonder so many believe in ghosts inhabiting the area between the roadsides and the other world when these types of accident happen.

• Like 1

Boxes on wheels designed to stuff as many people in as possible.

At the best of times, mini vans are difficult to exit, let alone with the panic of the van on fire with only one sliding door to get everyone in the rear compartment out of.

Edited by Radar501

Two gas tanks fitted inside the van? What kind of idiot would do this?

Hard to believe anyone could first fit gas tanks inside the vehicle and second operate such a death trap.

The owner of the vehicle and the installer of the fuel system should be sued for everything.

One would hope that would happen, but the operators of these mobile death traps seem to be able to evade any responsibility. I haven't ridden in once now for over three years, one trip with a lunatic from Kanachanburi to Bangkok was enough to put me off for good. So sad that this has happened again though, how many more will it take for the authorities to crack down on it.

If I hadn't seen the way these drivers operate first hand I might tend to think of it as "just an accident". But I know better. Those drivers are morons -- crazy and irresponsible. I'm very sorry for the victims and their families. I have had one driver who was careful and considerate but he was by far the exception. Never again. I'll gladly take a bus or fly before I set foot in one of those death traps again.

as one or more have stated yes they are a major problem but not just minivans... in all the time I lived I have witnessed so many incidents like this and also pick ups.... they seem to think minivans and pick ups are like sports cars but no road holding capability to match the speeds they get up to. I feel for the families of all those killed or injured but we all know it will never stop. the Thai mindset is "it wont happen to me" such is the myopic attitude to accident prevention

Sad news! Mini vans are bad mmmmmmmmmkay. or how about any 4 wheel and metal traveling at speeds that would cause injury or death.

This was a accident nothing more! TV poster's need more juice in their boring lives and have to comment on how bad mini vans are, how bad Thai women are, how bad Thai people are, the list goes on. You all need to get some love back for Thailand and the Thai people.

• Like 2

In most countries in the world this would a major news story and would receive a high level of coverage on the TV and would be headline news in the press. Unfortunately it's such a common occurrence here that I doubt if will get a couple of sentences in the national press.

Thailand is a wonderful country I just wish its people would respect human life.

RIP you poor soles.

• Like 2

When I arrived in Pattaya from Bangkok in one of these minivans I felt as if I had been packed into a tin of Sardines. They could have been designed for Thai and not the much bigger European limbs.One of the problems is,there is very little seat room so a minor problem can soon turn into a disaster. These poor souls were trapped.

• Like 1