Seven Dead In East Pattaya Minivan Crash

Rimmer

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I once took a van from Bangkok to Pattaya and it was enough. The driver was going at 150 km/h on the freeway and sometimes peaking up to 160 km/h. He was driving so fast that the video I took on an HD camera is lagging. He missed an exit so he went reverse on the freeway. Scary moments.

When you think about that, the vans are the last transportation you want to take in Thailand. The drivers are paid for every trip they complete, what make them want to reach their destination at maximum speed. They also all have the LPG/NGV tank. These tanks are going to explode in case of accident. That is also the reason why it took 30 minutes for the fireman to extinguish the fire instead of 5 minutes on any other cars.

Another danger in case of accident, and this one is not only related to mini vans only, is about emergency responders. Most of them are poorly trained and they all fight to get the victim because the victim represent money. I helped once on a motorcycle crash and the rescue guy started bullshitting me to show how good he was. Of course, he wanted to carry the victim to the hospital for the money instead of letting me manage the situation and sending them to hospital with another ambulance.

This said, avoid mini vans and be careful when you drive your own vehicule. No one can with real knowledge can help you in this country. The safest way to travel in Thailand is by bus. Don't put your life in danger for 20-30 baht.

Sad news! Mini vans are bad mmmmmmmmmkay. or how about any 4 wheel and metal traveling at speeds that would cause injury or death.

This was a accident nothing more! TV poster's need more juice in their boring lives and have to comment on how bad mini vans are, how bad Thai women are, how bad Thai people are, the list goes on. You all need to get some love back for Thailand and the Thai people.

Try posting that milt when your on fire ,I have seen no one on THIS post comment on how bad Thai woman are, I know the juice your on and your drinking to much, or is it the weed man?

Horrible accident, RIP to the victims...

They should have an emergency window breaker tool inside the minivans same as usually on all buses :( should a little tool save the lifes of many innocent...

Vehicle%20Emergency%20Hammer%20Dogyu%20p

• Like 1

RIP

Just want to say that everybody here is complaining about the bad driving of these minivan drivers.

I agree most of them s_ck at driving, they do it every day, the same and same route and think they know it all.

If you want to do something about it, the next time you are in one of the good vans with a bad driver,

at the next pit stop, do not get in again and have all other passengers agree with you, unless he drives normal.

Rather be a 10-30 later then never arrive.

You worried he will leave without you. Call his company (Visa run or whatever) and tell them he is an idiot on the road.

RIP to all, the grey minibuses.must have some kinda curse,because i have yet to see one drive in an orderly manner,they are always over taking dangerously, speeding, flashing lights, cutting corners and sitting right on your ass, these are demons of the road, doesn't a bell ring some where?

Well, those minivans (and pick ups) think they are always alone on the road. No driving experience, no car control at all, no driving education (what is that?) and absolutely no respect for other cars and human lifes. And since those lovely corrupt Thai police don't do anything then to stop motorbikes for extra money, it will never change. I ask myself sometimes, Thailand have a government, but are they able to direct the police what to do? No, is the answer, because since I live in Thailand I see never a change. So I guess we have to live with those imbeciles on the road.

RIP

Just want to say that everybody here is complaining about the bad driving of these minivan drivers.

I agree most of them s_ck at driving, they do it every day, the same and same route and think they know it all.

If you want to do something about it, the next time you are in one of the good vans with a bad driver,

at the next pit stop, do not get in again and have all other passengers agree with you, unless he drives normal.

Rather be a 10-30 later then never arrive.

You worried he will leave without you. Call his company (Visa run or whatever) and tell them he is an idiot on the road.

Seriously? You've paid in advance. He gets paid whether he arrives full of passengers or with an empty van, to pick up the pre-paid passengers going the other way.

Not saying it's a bad idea to leave a van with a dangerous driver. But be realistic about the expectations if you do. Make sure you have some "mad money" just in case.

And if you do get back into the van after making that move, you now have a lunatic that's pissed off as a driver.

Edited by impulse

I've only ever been in a few vans in Thailand, and the drivers were fine. Yes, there are lots of bad van drivers, but they're not all bad. So don't try to blacken the names of the good drivers. It is a fact that there are good drivers - I have seen them, talked to them and traveled with them. They are not all bad, as some on here are suggesting.

Edited by davejones

What a horrible way to go.

RIP to the poor people.

agree - absolutely horrendous, RIP to all and condolences to their loved ones. I really wish better driving practices would start to be observed in Thailand - so many souls lost every year.

...still around 20.000, compared to Germany, which had 3600 fatalities last year.

I've only ever been in a few vans in Thailand, and the drivers were fine. Yes, there are lots of bad van drivers, but they're not all bad. So don't try to blacken the names of the good drivers. It is a fact that there are good drivers - I have seen them, talked to them and traveled with them. They are not all bad, as some on here are suggesting.

Total crap. How does a holiday guy or gal KNOW what they are getting. Those who drive here KNOW the actions of most minivan drivers. rolleyes.gif

And let's not forget the idiotic foreign drivers. Many foreigners get killed on motorbikes in Thailand every year. They drive drunk, dangerously, and without a helmet. Many nationalities have idiot drivers. Foreigners are not immune from being idiots.

But on this forum it seems that if there is an idiot driver who is Thai, then that is proof that all Thais can't drive. But if there is an idiot American driver, then he is just an idiot, and the exception to the rule that Americans are the best drivers in the world. Get real. There are idiots all over the world.

Two gas tanks fitted inside the van? What kind of idiot would do this?

Errrr ... that would be idiot. I suspect most, if not all, gas-to-CNG conversions place the high-pressure (3000-3600 psi) tanks in the trunk/boot or cargo space, probably the only practical place if maintaining a dual-fuel vehicle (and maybe even if not).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_gas_vehicle

I know nothing about the safety aspects, but it strikes me that the lines running from the tanks to the engine are subject to rupture, or the fittings, even if the CNG tanks did not rupture. For safety, one would think there would be high-flow-rate check valves at the tanks. I invite an SME to comment.

You are correct.

Ruptured pipes should make the safety valve shut of.

And from the pics it seems to be an lpg system, not cng/ngv, so low pressure tanks.

Actually, there is a good chance that the main fire was fed by the petrol in the petrol tank, as there are no safety systems on them!

And let's not forget the idiotic foreign drivers. Many foreigners get killed on motorbikes in Thailand every year. They drive drunk, dangerously, and without a helmet. Many nationalities have idiot drivers. Foreigners are not immune from being idiots.

But on this forum it seems that if there is an idiot driver who is Thai, then that is proof that all Thais can't drive. But if there is an idiot American driver, then he is just an idiot, and the exception to the rule that Americans are the best drivers in the world. Get real. There are idiots all over the world.

You forgot something. Minivan drivers have the lives of folk in THEIR hands, a paid job. rolleyes.gif .....................coffee1.gif

Edited by transam

Total crap. How does a holiday guy or gal KNOW what they are getting. Those who drive here KNOW the actions of most minivan drivers. rolleyes.gif

I'm not claiming they know. I'm saying that there are good van drivers. That is a fact. There are tens of thousands of vans like these and a few end up having accidents. But MOST don't have accidents, and MOST are good drivers. But only the idiot drivers make the news, so you get a biased view. I'd say the majority of van drivers drive safely.

It's like that other myth on here that most Thais don't wear helmets on motorcycles. I was waiting for someone for 5 mins the other day, and around 200 motorcycles must have gone passed in that time. I only counted 2 without helmets. But when someone gets killed and they aren't wearing a helmet, then people on hear claim that Thais never wear helmets. The same is happening with van drivers. My first cleaner traveled by van every day for 30 years and never had an accident. If all the drivers are so bad, then how is that possible? Van accidents happen too often, but the chance of being killed in a van is pretty minimal. Most people will kill themselves in other ways (eating junk food). People tend to focus on the dramatic. Makes no sense to me to eat junk food (almost certain early death), but worry about traveling in a van (next to no chance of death). Just work out the figures if you don't believe me. Most vans are pretty safe. Just clean up the few idiot drivers.

Last night from bangkok to pattaya I Watched a van driver in the slow lane flashing a slow driver to move.

Where to? Up the wall?

Edited by eeeya

You have obviously not driven on Thai roads, get out there and find out for yourself how bad these Minibus Drivers are, They need to be stopped, now!

• Like 1

You forgot something. Minivan drivers have the lives of folk in THEIR hands, a paid job. rolleyes.gif .....................coffee1.gif

That's true, but I've never had a problem and I don't know anyone else who has either. Vans are safer than many on here seem to think. Horrific accidents like this make things seem worse than they are. Anyway, you have a choice. Drive your own car if you're too worried.

I'm not claiming they know. I'm saying that there are good van drivers. That is a fact. There are tens of thousands of vans like these and a few end up having accidents. But MOST don't have accidents, and MOST are good drivers. But only the idiot drivers make the news, so you get a biased view. I'd say the majority of van drivers drive safely.

It's like that other myth on here that most Thais don't wear helmets on motorcycles. I was waiting for someone for 5 mins the other day, and around 200 motorcycles must have gone passed in that time. I only counted 2 without helmets. But when someone gets killed and they aren't wearing a helmet, then people on hear claim that Thais never wear helmets. The same is happening with van drivers. My first cleaner traveled by van every day for 30 years and never had an accident. If all the drivers are so bad, then how is that possible? Van accidents happen too often, but the chance of being killed in a van is pretty minimal. Most people will kill themselves in other ways (eating junk food). People tend to focus on the dramatic. Makes no sense to me to eat junk food (almost certain early death), but worry about traveling in a van (next to no chance of death). Just work out the figures if you don't believe me. Most vans are pretty safe. Just clean up the few idiot drivers.

Where do you live, noddy land?

• Like 2

You have obviously not driven on Thai roads, get out there and find out for yourself how bad these Minibus Drivers are, They need to be stopped, now!

I've driven around plenty and also got a few vans. Also know people who have used vans daily without any problems at all. Most van drivers are safe drivers.That is a fact. You are blind to them and only focus on the idiots.

Where do you live, noddy land?

No, I live in the real world. You obviously live on ThaiVisa, and don't see what goes on out there in reality.

So you want to ban minivans. How will people get to work? Walk? Would be a better solution to sort out the few idiots.

RIP Condolences to family and friend of the deceased and
a speedy recovery to the injured, every day the same happens with the speeding
mini buses, when if ever will the Thai driving mentality and attitude on the
roads ever change.

So you want to ban minivans. How will people get to work? Walk? Would be a better solution to sort out the few idiots.

I drive on the Thai Roads everyday and I have pulled people out of a crashed minivan, one died, on the way to Chiang Mai, after he passed me 15 mins before, doing at least 150K, this is a normal speed for MOST minibusses, of they are up your rear end flashing lights. this is the majority NOT the minority as you so imply!

• Like 2

Buying a car shortly and not stopping when the motorcyclelists try to cut me off. Most Thai drivers think that it is your responsibility to stop to avoid hitting them when the make illegal driving moves. Not any more for me.

Buying a car shortly and not stopping when the motorcyclelists try to cut me off. Most Thai drivers think that it is your responsibility to stop to avoid hitting them when the make illegal driving moves. Not any more for me.

Hear Hear, I am so bloody sick of it, and it is not only Thai drivers, Farang are worst because they have never driven a bike before, most of them anyway.

rip another highway minivan disaster , sad for the families , i never will set foot in those tins of death ever again

Nothing wrong with the vehicles!

It is the imbeciles who drive them.

how many of us have got road rage from these drivers , they do not care if they have passengers in them.

r.i.p to all the families

I've driven around plenty and also got a few vans. Also know people who have used vans daily without any problems at all. Most van drivers are safe drivers.That is a fact. You are blind to them and only focus on the idiots.

Gawd, laugh.png daftest post of the day.

Do you live here ? Do you Drive anything here with 4 wheels? Do you spend your life in a day dream ? coffee1.gif