Seven Dead In East Pattaya Minivan Crash

Rimmer

I live in Phuket and have a visa run coming up to Penang - I am increasingly worried about getting in one of these with a moron with a death wish at the wheel.

999 bus and train package

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

R.I.P

my condolences to family and friends of the victims.

No suprise it was a minivan.

I'm assume it was on LPG gas. They dont care about safety. Save money on fuel is more important. LlPG is dangerous. Specially the way they do the installations.

RIP to all, the grey minibuses.must have some kinda curse,because i have yet to see one drive in an orderly manner,they are always over taking dangerously, speeding, flashing lights, cutting corners and sitting right on your ass, these are demons of the road, doesn't a bell ring some where?

yep minivans are bad usally but so are the fortuners and camry's that think they own the road and those young guys in their vios going like porsche speed

I would like to see governors fitted to Minibuses and Normal Buses, as they sometime drive too fast as well, and a major crackdown by police, but we all know this will never happen, don't we!

R.I.P

I'm assume it was on LPG gas. They dont care about safety. Save money on fuel is more important. LlPG is dangerous. Specially the way they do the installations.

had LPG for many yeas and never had a problem... the installation was done to specs.

Those minivans are such death traps, RIP to the victims. I rather overstay my visa than do frequent visa runs with those crazy drivers

In over a decade in Thailand, I don't recall a single report of a visa-run van ever being involved in a fatal accident. Considering that there must have been tens-of-thousands of runs during that time, the odds of being injured/killed while on such a run are de minimis. However, like an airline crash, they are very deadly when they occur, no matter how low the odds.

• Like 1

My loathing for van drivers increases every day.

Psycopaths. No regard for human lives.

I would blame the van owners...they don't incentivise safety but speed so therefore, the drivers drive fast and recklessly I remember years back, the Bangkok-Pattaya used to be a nitemare too, with speeding drivers. However, for the past couple years, they drive positively slow (and safe) and I put it down to the companies must have installed GPS trackers on the buses to monitor speed and now that the drivers know they are being tracked, they drive at a safe speed.

Two gas tanks fitted inside the van? What kind of idiot would do this?

Hard to believe anyone could first fit gas tanks inside the vehicle and second operate such a death trap.

The owner of the vehicle and the installer of the fuel system should be sued for everything.

We have Sawngthaew where we live (bang-Na) That have the gas tanks fitted under the bench seats?

jb1

The thread was about minivans, not other vehicles. If you ask me, there is no Thai that knows how to drive. How could they, there is now real driving test, no real drivers education. But the fact is, a minivan is for paying passengers, so should be subject to a bit more regulation. If someone says minivans are safe, then he truly does live in another world. Having a minivan on your ass, flashing his lights, and passing on a curve, is just normal for them.

Yes, the road surface from Bira towards Bkk, is a piece of shit, and you either have to take the side with the holes, or race to get onto the faster lane.

I have been on a few minibus rides, and they all have the same theme, fast driving and pass everyone on the road. The problem is that its not easy to just jump off and take another vehicle, since visa runs are not that simple, and the driver usually has your papers! When you book the tour, you cannot just say, "I want a good slow driver". They will always tell you they are good drivers, and even if you called the company, they wouldnt do anything. When I go to the airport from Pattaya, I always take the Bell bus. They drive slow and carefully, but they dont always fit my flight time, so have to take something else, but not a minibus!

I am very sorry to hear this news. I've been frightened several times in one of these mini-vans. I can only imagine what the driver might have been doing. And I can't even imagine what the passengers had to go through. Bless them.

Does this really surprise anyone?

Yes davejones?

jb1

LOL. You are wrong. It doesn't surprise me at all, as there are enough bad drivers to ensure deadly accidents. But it's the minority of drivers that are bad. You don't get to read reports of the good drivers who have driven for decades without an accident. Taking a van is still pretty safe. Your chances of getting killed are minimal. More people get shot in the USA, then killed in van accidents here. So better to travel by van in Thailand than live in the USA. LOL.

The thread was about minivans, not other vehicles. If you ask me, there is no Thai that knows how to drive. How could they, there is now real driving test, no real drivers education. But the fact is, a minivan is for paying passengers, so should be subject to a bit more regulation. If someone says minivans are safe, then he truly does live in another world. Having a minivan on your ass, flashing his lights, and passing on a curve, is just normal for them.

Yes, the road surface from Bira towards Bkk, is a piece of shit, and you either have to take the side with the holes, or race to get onto the faster lane.

I have been on a few minibus rides, and they all have the same theme, fast driving and pass everyone on the road. The problem is that its not easy to just jump off and take another vehicle, since visa runs are not that simple, and the driver usually has your papers! When you book the tour, you cannot just say, "I want a good slow driver". They will always tell you they are good drivers, and even if you called the company, they wouldnt do anything. When I go to the airport from Pattaya, I always take the Bell bus. They drive slow and carefully, but they dont always fit my flight time, so have to take something else, but not a minibus!

Find a reliable company. It's gross stupidity to take visa run vans that you claim to be dangerous. Maybe you have a death wish.

rip another highway minivan disaster , sad for the families , i never will set foot in those tins of death ever again

Nothing wrong with the vehicles!

It is the imbeciles who drive them.

I do not agree; there is something wrong with the vehicles. I got on one a few weeks ago, and I was beginning to feel ill, so I decided to get off. It was impossible. Once you are in and the van sets off, you are locked in. There is no room to move, and it is impossible to get out. I started to panic, and luckily, the van had to stop just outside Pattaya so that everybody could get off and pay before proceeding to Bangkok. I paid, and then I called a taxi. I can imagine the horrible panic that must have taken over the people in the van.

RIP

Does this really surprise anyone?

Yes davejones?

jb1

LOL. You are wrong. It doesn't surprise me at all, as there are enough bad drivers to ensure deadly accidents. But it's the minority of drivers that are bad. You don't get to read reports of the good drivers who have driven for decades without an accident. Taking a van is still pretty safe. Your chances of getting killed are minimal. More people get shot in the USA, then killed in van accidents here. So better to travel by van in Thailand than live in the USA. LOL.

You cannot be serious ???????

Of course our assessment of Thai driver skills is based on what we are familiar with back in the West. Everything is relative. In Thailand, standards are somewhat lower.

In my opinion, the best way of determining if a bus or minivan driver is dangerous by Thai standards is to observe the Thai passengers onboard.

From my experience on bus and minivan trips in Thailand, most Thais are fast asleep in their seats within five minutes of departure. But when they are all wide awake and the driver has got their full attention, you know his driving is BAAAAD!!!

• Like 1

Of course our assessment of Thai driver skills is based on what we are familiar with back in the West. Everything is relative. In Thailand, standards are somewhat lower.

In my opinion, the best way of determining if a bus or minivan driver is dangerous by Thai standards is to observe the Thai passengers onboard.

From my experience on bus and minivan trips in Thailand, most Thais are fast asleep in their seats within five minutes of departure. But when they are all wide awake and the driver has got their full attention, you know his driving is BAAAAD!!!

So true. Many people come to Thailand (a developing country) and expect the same safety standards as in a developed country. So if anyone is overly worried about safety here, then you're probably best going back home.

R.I.P

Only 1 remedy, as soon as a minivan-or taxi driver starts speeding or idiotic driving ,ask him to stop because you feel sick ,repead the word "ouak"many times,he will not risk someone vommits in his van and he will stop. Leave the car and possible everybody must leave and let the driver do what he wants ,start telefoning his company and demand a proper driver ,or phone any other taxi company and tell them what happened.

If the driver looses his passengers 2 times ,his boss will probably sack him .

Best of all ,stay out of busses ,taxi's or vans . If you dont have the money to posses a car ,rent one ,your live is more important than a few thousant baht?

Two gas tanks fitted inside the van? What kind of idiot would do this?

Hard to believe anyone could first fit gas tanks inside the vehicle and second operate such a death trap.

The owner of the vehicle and the installer of the fuel system should be sued for everything.

Is is not uncommon in Europe to have a a gas cylinder inside of the vehicle so not sure what the complaint is here ? Not a problem if you drive safely.

Have you EVER driven here ? Perhaps folk in minivans ''survive'' cos US who do drive here and see one of these rides in the mirror IMMEDIATELY get ready for the shit. I have been forced off the road by these so called ''professionals''. rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Have you EVER driven here ? Perhaps folk in minivans ''survive'' cos US who do drive here and see one of these rides in the mirror IMMEDIATELY get ready for the shit. I have been forced off the road by these so called ''professionals''. rolleyes.gif

Just to make it clear, I agree that there are some very bad drivers here, of both cars and vans. In fact, many, many more than in the UK. But, they are still in the minority. Yes, I see crazy van drivers. But for each crazy one I see, I see countless others driving safely. If they were ALL as crazy as you make out, then there would be a lot more accidents. With all these crazy drivers you claim are here, how come the death rate is still below the world average? So less deaths here, so driving can't be as bad as you make out.

Just to make it clear, I agree that there are some very bad drivers here, of both cars and vans. In fact, many, many more than in the UK. But, they are still in the minority. Yes, I see crazy van drivers. But for each crazy one I see, I see countless others driving safely. If they were ALL as crazy as you make out, then there would be a lot more accidents. With all these crazy drivers you claim are here, how come the death rate is still below the world average? So less deaths here, so driving can't be as bad as you make out.

Errr, look again! 42.9ish road deaths per 100,000 , 6th highest in the world. Mostly caused by mini bus drivers (was left out :-))

http://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/cause-of-death/road-traffic-accidents/by-country/

6 Thailand 42.9 70 Edited by CHANGOVER
  • Like 1

The biggest problem with these vans and almost all "public transport" in Thailand there are no "Passenger Service Vehicle" rules, no safety inspections, no PSV licence test and no morality from the fleet owners. ( rich Thai's ) . The main rule is to get to the destination and back as many times a day as they can. To earn as much money for the owner and themselves as possible without regard for human life, because there be more humans tomorrow, as you can see at Victory Monument every 10 mins. My first and last ride was from there to Hua Hin never again for me. If they wanted to warn passengers and slow down these drivers put posters up at the Minibus stations depicting scenes like that photo.

But this is Thailand they would probably take photo's of the photo to show there friends. RIP, Poor people feel very sorry for the kids and families left.

• Like 1

ํYou obviously do not drive here. rolleyes.gif

Does anyone else want to back this bloke up that the driving in LOS is OK. ? rolleyes.gif