Nakhon Si Thammarat - Grab A Few Drinks

Leslie1984

Hi,

Anyone around Nakhon Si Thammarat? want to grab a few beers, bar hop, find some cool bars to eat and drink? Maybe find a good regular one. Or have any advice where to meet other westerners?

Im 29, love socializing, meeting girls Thai mostly, drinking, going out, partying, just about everything really, on another year break and already done the sight seeing here, but kind of hard to do it alone, have met a few passing people through and had some good nights out. Been to Thailand a few times already, and pretty much know Nakhon-Si-Thammarat off by heart now, but im struggling finding anyone around my age or into the same things. I see many random farangs in tesco, near the local 7 by the hospital and some in bars, usually in every scenario alone, anyone want to hang out?

Anyone here maybe teaching or passing through want to meet up, guys or girls, solo travelers or does anyone know any places where people hang out, because the Sports Bar, pelican has recently closed where i saw farangs used to hang out, i have seen a few old farangs in the bar on the other side of town near the red light district, anyone frequent there? Its pretty big but not always busy.

Any suggestions welcome, cheers.

Edited by Leslie1984

I appreciate your topic, and my wife has family in that province and I never have been there yet,

but planning to rent a vehicle from Hat Yai and going there and if you can tell me where you stay, like in a Hotel or guest house since I prefer not to stay in her house if possible.

Not that I can hang out with you, since I am old enough to be your grandfather, just curious to find things to keep busy.

For me working out, swimming, playing on the mac or continuing my Linux learning and studying Thai , maybe finding some channels on Satellite to watch? I don't know i am a city guy

been in Bkk almost 8 years from NYC.

Where are you from?

What brings you to stay in a Province in the south, I hear about the floods and nothing to do?

What is your home country?

If you care to answer any of those questions and others would help me figure out if I can handle staying there for a while since that would make my wife very happy.

I personally don't like when she cooks the smells and all, and wonder if I can get some American food there?

thanks for any feedback and good luck on finding your journey there as well.

Hi nycboy57,

Hotels are pretty decently priced, (backpackers point of view smile.png ) I haven't really come across much guesthouses though here.

In ways of hotels you got the Thai Lee hotel which is pretty good price and good location near most things, then just round the corner the Thai Hotel in the red light district which is also pretty good priced and good location. On the other side of Nakhon you got twin lotus more expensive and a bit out the way but more classy. There loads in between it depends if you go out drinking or not on wheres a good location because Nakhon is pretty much 2 parallel long roads, one more quiet the other opposite, but overall Nakhon is pretty quiet.

Swimming and working out, the twin lotus would be a good bet, nice pool, quiet, has gym and all the rest, opposite tesco lotus. Its a bit more pricey though, but the other side of Nakhon.

Im from the UK, i first came here because my girlfriend was nurse from Nakhon, so i got used to it, bangkok can be pretty intense, and Nakhon can cover most things i like to do anyway, and its near some great beaches in the south.

American food, well A MC donalds has just opened, 24hrs if thats your sort of thing, kfc, pizza place etc, the pelican as stated in previous post just closed, they did some nice american burgers, and all the western food, barbecues on weekends etc, but it shouldn't be hard to find some western food in nakhon, depending on what it is.

Its a much more less english speaking orientated city, people dont tend to understand me, could be my accent not sure, but its not like bangkok. But i love it here, good to get away from the hustle and bustle of bkk. Im heading there on the 9th for a few weeks, but will be back in Nakhon after.

When are you going to be in Nakhon if you decide to come?, we can always meet up for a few beers if you do that sort of thing, your married so maybe not the picking up girls bit but hey, any company is welcomed tongue.png

Edited by Leslie1984

I am intending to spend a bit of time in the province over the next few months, also looking for places to hang out, have a few beers and enjoy myself. Where I is the so called red light district ( for interests sake only)

I am intending to spend a bit of time in the province over the next few months, also looking for places to hang out, have a few beers and enjoy myself. Where I is the so called red light district ( for interests sake only)

Near Big C, if your coming out of big C shopping mall turn right, its litterally at the end of the road, you can either go straight over at the crossroads or if you turn right at the crossroads bit theres more down that road and a good bar down there, pretty big, and in the middle of the massage houses.

The reason i know this is that the bar is one of the best in Nakhon since pelican has closed and is where you can meet other westerners, just happens to be in that part of town, nakhon hasnt got a whole wide choice of good bars, good priced aswell and decent food.

Give me a shout if youre planning on heading there Big Guy if you want grab a few drinks etc.

Edited by Leslie1984

• 6 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/3/2020 at 6:34 PM, phuketsub said:

It seems like NST is big enough to warrant a farang-oriented pub/bar, If someone can make it happen I will be happy to make the commute from Ranode...

There already is. I have lived in NST for two years just about and there's a really big farang teacher community of around 100. 

The farang bar which is open Weds through Sat is called ROOTS, and it's near the old bar Country Home which is a popular Thai hangout.

Join the Facebook group NST Good Times - all local restaurant and bar owners post there and all the local farangs are members.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, sotonowl said:

I'm due to be released at the end of the month and the first place I'll be making for is Nakhon. I'm Thai/English 29 y.o male.

The Doctors have told me I shouldn't be a danger to anyone anymore as long as I keep taking my medication and keep away from guns and axes as thats what let me down before.

Really looking forward to having a beer or 20 and seeing how the meds and alcohol intertwine. I'll be in touch. Quite looking forward to meeting you now. I might even not bother getting in touch with you, maybe I'll just come looking round the bars for you, shouldn't be to difficult to find, see you early April.

Did you ever tell them about what you have in your basement?

• Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...

A 7 year old thread lol. D'Pelican closed years ago, was the White House and then reincarnated as ... last I heard called Home or something like that. Nakhon is still the same, same bars give or take plus a few new ones that have opened and then since closed. Roots is for young American teachers and in my opinion not worth a visit. There used to be a bond between the farangs in NST but that has all but disappeared since the big influx of young first time teachers arrived.

And from a .... in your own words, a backpackers point of view, knowing where and even giving directions to the red light area shows the kind of people that NST does not want to have.

ps: First moved to Nakhon over 30 years ago (before you were born?), no Tescos, no Big C, no Nakarin, no Twin Lotus, no airport, nothing ..... (apart from the army one) ..... etc etc so please don't even attempt to tell me that I know nothing about Nakhon!

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/1/2020 at 1:11 AM, South said:

A 7 year old thread lol. D'Pelican closed years ago, was the White House and then reincarnated as ... last I heard called Home or something like that. Nakhon is still the same, same bars give or take plus a few new ones that have opened and then since closed. Roots is for young American teachers and in my opinion not worth a visit. There used to be a bond between the farangs in NST but that has all but disappeared since the big influx of young first time teachers arrived.

And from a .... in your own words, a backpackers point of view, knowing where and even giving directions to the red light area shows the kind of people that NST does not want to have.

ps: First moved to Nakhon over 30 years ago (before you were born?), no Tescos, no Big C, no Nakarin, no Twin Lotus, no airport, nothing ..... (apart from the army one) ..... etc etc so please don't even attempt to tell me that I know nothing about Nakhon!

so every little tiny moo ban across the country have whore houses scattered on outskirts or even within central town, but here you feel kinda special and want to hide them or pretend they dont exist?

yup surely gonna help ????

anyway why bond with only farang when 99% of people are ... thai? follow your interest & connect with like minded people as around your home etc. cheers! and sorry i dont drink so u wont meet me at the bars either or whorehouses for that matter...

• Confused 1