Fuji X100S First Report

• 3 weeks later...

A very amusing blog/review which is well worth a read.

http://zackarias.com/for-photographers/gear-gadgets/fuji-x100s-review-a-camera-walks-into-a-bar/

I'm still on the fence with this camera mainly as my Fuji X-E1 is sooooo good. Just wish Fuji would release a few more lenses, particularly the 23mm Asph.

Another issue that's holding me back is the gathering rumours of a new X- Pro (2) with a reported 24mp FF sensor. If such a camera materialises that really would rattle the perches. An affordable Leica M240 devoid of reliability issues!

A concern would be whether Fuji has the resources to roll out a large enough selection of lenses to support a FF camera. Same with Sony when they inevitably release an interchangeable version of the RX1; but at least they have Zeiss to help them along.

Still, someone will do it and it will not only hurt Leica; but also Canon and Nikon who seem progressively moving to FF solutions; but with monster lenses and cameras built around a mirror box.

I had the X100 but sold it, slow AF and unworkable manual focus; good to see the Fuji seems to have listened and improved things with the X100S.

I'm covered on the lens issue for FF as I have a good selection of M mount lenses which, albeit manual focus only, are very small and will balance nicely. Indeed I use these lenses a lot on my X-E1 but it would be nice to have them at their true focal range.

Frankly though, despite the Fuji CEO openly proclaiming their abilty to launch a FF X, I doubt one is iminent due to, as you say, the need for a complete new line and the ensuing costs of producing FF lenses. My hunch is an X-Pro overhaul with the bugs ironed out. (Ala X100S)

Leaving aside the current M9 and M9-P that leaves only the Leica M240 as a mirrorless FF.

I am indeed on the waiting list for one, but thankfully way down the order, which should allow time for early reports to confirm (or otherwise) NO ISSUES. I hope to God they've got it sorted.

Time will tell.

"Leaving aside the current M9 and M9-P that leaves only the Leica M240 as a mirrorless FF."

There's also the RX1....

Yes of course. Fixed lens unfortunately and at a focal length I don't favour.

As an aside, I really must stop referring to Leica as "mirrorless". It's a rangefinder which inherently is without a flapping mirror! I'd get slaughtered on the Leica forum for such blasphemy.