Well, they cost always nothing to make for yourself, and it's fun, too.

Btw, just turned over the new batch, something I didn't do the first time round, this looks promising...I also cut slightly thicker slices.

I'll try sprinkling them with herbs before drying next.

Btw, I have no idea how one would use them for cooking, they just go on my tray of in-between snacks. (I won't do eggplants again, the flavour is disappointing)

Well, they cost always nothing to make for yourself, and it's fun, too.

Btw, just turned over the new batch, something I didn't do the first time round, this looks promising...I also cut slightly thicker slices.

I'll try sprinkling them with herbs before drying next.

Btw, I have no idea how one would use them for cooking, they just go on my tray of in-between snacks. (I won't do eggplants again, the flavour is disappointing)

Hi zzap, I use sun-dried toms in everything.

Salads take on a new flavour and texture. Simply chop up a few per person and mix in with the salad, or lay round the top of the salad.

In things like pasta dishes, scrape off the flesh (discard the skin) and use as you would tomato paste. (See my pasta dish in 'simple recipes').

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=60081&st=0

If you want a light and healthy salad dressing, Pop a few into some oil for 12-24 hours, the flavour of the toms seeps into the oil, remove the toms (eat them!) add a vinigar and a few herbs (maybe a clove of crushed garlic) to the oil, give it a good shake and you have a 'unique' salad dressing.

Use your imagination and have fun. Then post back and let us know how you get on...

Edited by suegha

Thanks Suegha, I'll try some of this.

Meanwhile, my second batch is turning out well, I sliced the toms about 5mm thick, and turned them a few times, so they won't stick. Being a bit thicker, they can do with a 3rd day in the sun.

A got some more going with a sprinkling of mixed herbs, taste good even after only one day.

• 2 months later...
My husband regularly dries meat on our roof - fish, beef, pork. He puts whatever it is on a tray, covers it, and chucks it on the tin roof over our garage.

So, I got to thinking after an order of sundried tomato and feta cheese bruschetta bread at an Italian restaurant.... these sundried tomatoes are yummy little devils. Surely I could put some tomatoes on the roof and voila! sundried tomatoes. Right??? :o

There's obviously more to it than that. Any of you cooking enthusiasts out there know how to dry them properly outside in the sun? Are there other ingredients besides tomatoes? Any tried and true methods out there? Helpful hints?

Thanks guys. :D

Cheers,

TT

do a yahoo search you will come up with about 1500 ways from memory

I note nobody has (yet) mentioned skinning the tomatoes first. When I dry my tomatoes I skin them, cut in half and core them then remove the seeds etc. Sprinkle with a little salt and put out on drying racks. They take about a day in the hot sun and taste delicious..