BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
webfact

Phuket Mob Surrounds British Expat Who Hit Motorcyclist

Someone in Thailand fleeing the scene, what a surprise! Oh, he's a farang, well that's not alright then. Wish the public would do this more often.

@ stevenl

No, not complaining.

It's just sad that a proper public transport option does not exist for getting home after drinking, thus, many Thai's and foreigners, drive/ride under the influence, making the roads more dangerous for all of us.

Due to cost, it's obvious that using tuk-tuks for your regular transport isn't appealing to the masses here, so, most people have control of a vehicle, many whilst drunk.

All Phuket NEEDS is what other areas in Thailand have, nothing more, but what we have here at the moment is a whole lot less.

The thing is, we all pay a premuim to live here. Phuket is the most expensive of the major tourist destinations in Thailand, yet the essential service is withheld from us here.

Anyway, we all know nothing will change here, so, there will be another death today, and another tomorrow, and it goes on and on.

baffles me how often thai police can smell alchool on farangs. I can smell a smoker that had his last dirtystick a day ago yet ive NEVER been able to smell alchool off someone unless they had a liter of whiskey poured on them though most people drink beers in the day and retain no smell..

50/50 chance this is a BS story to help out the kamikaze street "racer". If he did indeed drink both car and motorbike deserve this little warning to fix up their life and stop drinking on the roads/stop fixing up their bikes to do crazy maneuver with 0 skills

• Like 1

baffles me how often thai police can smell alchool on farangs. I can smell a smoker that had his last dirtystick a day ago yet ive NEVER been able to smell alchool off someone unless they had a liter of whiskey poured on them though most people drink beers in the day and retain no smell..

50/50 chance this is a BS story to help out the kamikaze street "racer". If he did indeed drink both car and motorbike deserve this little warning to fix up their life and stop drinking on the roads/stop fixing up their bikes to do crazy maneuver with 0 skills

That is why do they do a bloodtest at the station.

So no worries, if he was sober he'll go free.

You're conclusions about the motorbike driver don't hold water and are based on nothing at all.

• Like 1

@bearpolar. You've hit the nail on the head, the police have claimed that they smelt alcohol on his breath so all the TV hang 'em high brigade have convicted Ian already with at least one keyboard warrior calling for his deportation.

I will add that I have no time for people driving when drunk or even with enough alcohol to impair their judgement, there is no excuse for it whatsoever, but I don't know if Ian had one or ten glasses of wine, or indeed any, and I suspect no one who has posted here does either.

Unlike a lot of other posters who seem to know the facts, I wasn't there, so I will wait for the truth to out.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

More importantly, we don't know who actually caused the accident. Just because Ian may have been driving under the influence, that does not automatically mean the accident was his fault.

@bearpolar. You've hit the nail on the head, the police have claimed that they smelt alcohol on his breath so all the TV hang 'em high brigade have convicted Ian already with at least one keyboard warrior calling for his deportation.

I will add that I have no time for people driving when drunk or even with enough alcohol to impair their judgement, there is no excuse for it whatsoever, but I don't know if Ian had one or ten glasses of wine, or indeed any, and I suspect no one who has posted here does either.

Unlike a lot of other posters who seem to know the facts, I wasn't there, so I will wait for the truth to out.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

More importantly, we don't know who actually caused the accident. Just because Ian may have been driving under the influence, that does not automatically mean the accident was his fault.

Yes, I have yet to see any reporting on how this accident occurred. However, if Ian is proven to have been over the alcohol limit then that places him at a disadvantage in answering the investigators.

@ LivinginKata, yes spot on, if he was in fact over the limit then he will have to face the consequences.

• Like 2

...allegations are enough to lynch a foreigner....

...mountains of evidence of murder are nothing to a Thai....

The initial article states he was charged with drunk driving. Presumably after he tested positive back at the police station.

The conjecture about smelling alcohol seems redundant.

Martin Potter was a world champion surfer, and the expat in this story goes by Ian. I met Ian a number of years ago and he has a lighting business here.

People are telling me that it's not the Ian with the lighting business.

Two drunk Thais kicked me and the motorcycle over in Kalasin Sunday at 5:30 a/m I was going for coffee in the cycle lane very slowy, they were walking towards me, I went down on the higway. The police report says that my bike fell down, no mention of the one Thai who kicked me over. I hope he broke his leg, since I suffered more injuries to add to the roll I took 3 weeks ago.

I will not stop if I hit a Thai, I will keep going. I hope lots of Thais are reading this.

Edited by LivinginKata

Two drunk Thais kicked me and the motorcycle over in Kalasin Sunday at 5:30 a/m I was going for coffee in the cycle lane very slowy, they were walking towards me, I went down on the higway. The police report says that my bike fell down, no mention of the one Thai who kicked me over. I hope he broke his leg, since I suffered more injuries to add to the roll I took 3 weeks ago.

I will not stop if I hit a Thai, I will keep going. I hope lots of Thais are reading this.

So a Thai kicks you over and now you hate Thais? Sounds like you're in the wrong place.

So a Thai kicks you over and now you hate Thais? Sounds like you're in the wrong place.

Who Mentioned hating Thais?