Do You Have High Speed Internet In Chiang Mai?

chanchao

How fast is your connection?  

52 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi,

I'm wondering what the current actual situation is with broadband (or just any kind of somewhat faster internet) in Chiang Mai.

I guess ADSL is cheap enough now and easily available in city areas, but given that many people live outside, I wonder what the situation really is..

Personally I have a somewhat faster (in theory anyway) connection at the office, but just use dialup at home.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Do You Have High Speed Internet In Chiang Mai?

In comparisin to where? The old song gets stuck on track 1 again. TIT, so beggar the lot of you!

My elder children in London arranged a contract for 1MBps - about 350 Baht per month. In the few days before it was installed, they received notice they were getting 3MBps. 1MBps being no longer available, and now, three months later, they have gone up to 8MBps without an increase in cost.

Does Anybody Have High Speed Internet In Chiang Mai?

Hi,

I'm wondering what the current actual situation is with broadband (or just any kind of somewhat faster internet) in Chiang Mai.

I guess ADSL is cheap enough now and easily available in city areas, but given that many people live outside, I wonder what the situation really is..

Personally I have a somewhat faster (in theory anyway) connection at the office, but just use dialup at home.

Cheers,

Chanchao

200 Bht a month at my apartment. Speed around 420K

Oh dear some of you guys must feel like you are watching paint dry!

I have TOT (waited long enough & finally it came) and use their b1000 service. I have it on all day, every day ( for the past 4 months) and regularly get 800kbps download and acceptable figures for uploads in the 200 - 300 range.

I have downloaded DU meter from (www.dumeter.com) and have the meter on display at all times just out of interest. Using Google Earth is a good test for download speed and sharing music with soulseek demonstrates upload for me over a sustained period.

I was dubious at first of the ability to provide relaiable consistent speeds but I am quite happy. Down times have been acceptable, ie overnight or at max 24 hours. Slow times do occur but these are few & far between and understandable, especially as I keep seeing all those wires dangling from constantly moving street poles due to the wonderful plans that someone has for improvng the roads here etc. Cynicle? Nope, just realistic

>> Do You Have High Speed Internet In Chiang Mai?

> In comparisin to where?

Hahahahahha, in comparison to Chiang Mai phone lines, but I do get your point. :D

So far the poll results are far better than I thought!! My company is now trying to sell some stand-alone security/surveillance camera thingy that sends people an SMS message as soon as the thing detects movement, fire, or flooding and such, but I thought it would never work because it does need some kind of 'always on' internet. Was thinking of getting one myself and point it at my baby's room so i could watch her in real time all the time (via GPRS mobile phone) but I would have to get ADSL first which would raise my monthly costs yet again. :o Maybe once UBC lowers their fees now that they are apparently allowed to show commercials. (Right after Mae Ngat lake freezes over, probably. :D )

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Cheers,

Chanchao

200 Bht a month at my apartment. Speed around 420K

The internet came with your apartment?

I am looking to stay in Chang Mai for a month or two. Anyone know of a place that I can simply move into and have highspeed internet right away?

My budget is 16000 and under.

Thanks!!

~

After waiting a month (they told me a week), we finally have TOT 512 DSL up and working. The 4th week of waiting we discovered was because the TOT office has no idea how to put the username into the system and gave us the wrong info three times in a row..

We are out of town between the airport and HangDong so are lucky to have it from the sounds of things. Something over 700B/mo will save me a considerable amount as I was paying Inet an hourly rate and dealt with miserably slow dialup speeds and constant disconnects at 3B per call.

Mine is probably not the cat's meow but I have gone from an average of 26kbs on dialup (bad phone line for 7 months that TOT has still never fixed) to 228kbs just a few minutes ago. The speeds are all over the place and I have not had it long enough to know what the average is but I already cannot imagine going back to Inet dialup!

Some glitches here and there like I just updated my AVG virus database and that ended my ability to download my email unless I shut down every trace of AVG even in task manager...

If you don't have DSL I would recommend it but be aware that you/we are in a developing nation...

I am on TT&T 4 Life 512/256 and it provides me with about 70% of what it promises for 2500 baht per month. Not very happy with it, but apart from the cheaper packages from TT&T and their partners, I do not have a choice at my present location.

I could never accept 24h outages since I rely on the Internet for work and need a stable connection. Outages of more than 2-3 hours will have serious implications. This is why I have not changed to a cheaper package, apart from the fact that I am convinced TT&T would make a point of trying to make life difficult for me changing from an expensive package to a cheaper one. The bandwidth is in their hands, even if I should choose one of their partners such as Ji-Net or CSLoxinfo, and it would be easy for them to give me such a crappy line on a cheaper package that I would be forced to go back again.

For this reason I am waiting for TRUE to get their Wireless system going... and waiting, and waiting...

For this reason I am waiting for TRUE to get their Wireless system going... and waiting, and waiting...

man ... i am waiting and waiting and given up waiting. where i work in the shop, its fine adsl by hiNet (TT&T). at home no way of getting it. about 30 minutes down sankamheng from downtown on tot line. no adsl yet. ipstar way off the budget.

you paying 2500, thats cause ur work depends on internet. no choice for you huh