Tuk Tuk Prices In Phuket

emifm

Hi Guys, I am planning a trip to Phuket and wanted to ask about tuk tuk prices. I think this would be the cheapest method of transportation, but what are the prices to negotiate with? I am weary of being ripped off so wanted to hear of other people's experience. Thanks!

It's a well known and unfortunate fact that the transport in Phuket is very tightly controlled by powerful groups of people that will resort to mafia tactics to protect their monopoly. Phuket is the only place in Thailand where the taxi's and tuk tuks (tuk tuks here are different than most of the rest of Thailand, they are little red trucks with a covered passenger area in the back) are priced specifically for what the tourist can afford. Part of the problem is the system is a village system, completely decentralied so taxi's are only allowed to take a fare from thier "turf", essentailly requiring the passenger to pay a round trip rate. Thai's and local expats generally don't use them. Be very careful when dealing with them as they have been known to resort to violence at the slightest hint of confrontation. Many are drunk at all hours. Google "phuket tuk tuk" for a sample of the problems they cause.

Prices range from 3x to 10x the price of a tuk tuk or taxi in any other part of Thailand. almost the most expensive in the world, especially if you don't know the rate and aren't familiar with the haggling system they use. A friends parents were recently charged 4000B from the airport to Kata. Posted rate is 750B for a private "limo" from the airport to the beaches. (what we would call a compact car back home has somehow become a limosene in Phuket) By comparison, a Bangkok metered taxi would be about 275B for the same distance. Best option at the airport is the 200B shared van or the metered taxi which will be around 500B to the beaches. They are out the front door and turn right.

There are a few routes plied by local hop-on and hop-off buses but they don't run often and are extremely slow and time consuming. And there are none between the beach towns. The last guy to try that had a driver pulled from the cab and beaten by the tuk tuk guys.

As surangw suggested, rent a car. Drive yourself and for a day it can be as little as the taxi fare from the airport.

Here is an idea of official Tuk Tuk fares from various locations. At a glance the rates seem pretty current.

20120913141218_1_normal.jpg

phuket-1-10920AgIewCQIRdtZgIsQCZbjDRZfIh

These are from Kata:

4549885-Tuc_Tuc_price_board_Phuket.jpg

Edited by NomadJoe
  • Like 1

OMG not another Tuk tuk thread, if the OP checks back through the forum there are

100s of posts about the Tuk Tuk mafia, why start another thread on the same topic

Well, maybe you didn't noticed that this was the OP's first post. Maybe he didn't know about the fabulous search option the forum has, maybe he wanted the latest prices? I'm pretty sure he didn't want to disturb you or use your valuable time. Now get back to bed, it's obviously too early for you to get up. dry.png

• Like 2

OMG not another Tuk tuk thread, if the OP checks back through the forum there are

100s of posts about the Tuk Tuk mafia, why start another thread on the same topic

Well, maybe you didn't noticed that this was the OP's first post. Maybe he didn't know about the fabulous search option the forum has, maybe he wanted the latest prices? I'm pretty sure he didn't want to disturb you or use your valuable time. Now get back to bed, it's obviously too early for you to get up. dry.png

First posters regularly ask questions that have been answered 100s of times before on this forum and usually have been following the forum for awhile before they do post, of coarse you may not understand that, i suggest you go back to bed

Good descrption of the sad sitution here NJ.

The only thing I would add is the metered taxis have gone up to 600 baht.

I would suggest to the OP to stay walking distance to the main reason he/she is coming to Phuket for. So, if the main attraction for you is the beach, stay in a hotel/guest house/resort where you can walk to the beach. If it's the nightlife, stay walking distance to Bangla Road.

The less you have to use the tuk-tuks, and deal with the drivers, the better.

• Like 1

The OP states he is weary of being ripped off, suggesting he has been around. The motives for this type of post would have to be under scrutiny.

Semper, you had nothing valuable to add to the query. Rather than coming into this forum and suggesting where people should go, try staying in your own little pond.

• Like 1

In his only previous post the OP asked for recommendations for a romantic/luxury resort for a holiday with his boyfriend on Valentines Day.

He never responded to the good advice he received then, and obviously didnt check out Tuk Tuk prices.

HMMMM.

Some extra advice. What ever you do "DO NOT" surrender your passport to any one! Make several color copies of the main page and the Visa page and carry with you. Use the copies for ID when renting anything! Same with credit cards or drivers licenses. Get an International Licenses before you come.

The OP stated; "I think this would be the cheapest method of transportation." Not really the cheapest, but probably a better option than renting a motorbike if you've never driven one here. Or even a car, again if you haven't driven here. One accident will cost you more and very possibly ruin your life, not alone your holiday, if you live through it...

I not understand why in tourist areas collecting taxis where many people can join not avalible ?

This would be the better solution for all!

If a long stay tourist family etc must pay 800 bath for going from a to b, everyday

Then the money is finish in the middle of the month!

Some extra advice. What ever you do "DO NOT" surrender your passport to any one! Make several color copies of the main page and the Visa page and carry with you. Use the copies for ID when renting anything! Same with credit cards or drivers licenses.

Good advice to not hand over your passport, but most places require them.

Get an International Licenses before you come.

There is no such thing as an international license. Perhaps you mean an international drivers permit (IDP). Its just a translation of your home country's license. It's not required in Thailand by police, rental companies, or insurance for tourists but it doesn't hurt to have one. If your license is in English and has a photo then it's already to international standards. Just be careful not to buy one online as they are bogus and expensive. In most countries they are sold by the auto clubs for about $20US. They are valid for one year, not 5, 10, or 20 like some websites will advertise. Edited by NomadJoe