Power Of Attorney

I shall be coming to BKK in April to purchase a condo in the joint names of my wife(English) and myself. She will not be coming with me and I am aware that I will need a letter giving me POA to complete the purchase. The letter will be witnessed by my solicitor in the UK but I am unclear as to whether it also needs to be 'ratified' by the Thai Embassy in London. Can anyone help?

I shall be coming to BKK in April to purchase a condo in the joint names of my wife(English) and myself. She will not be coming with me and I am aware that I will need a letter giving me POA to complete the purchase. The letter will be witnessed by my solicitor in the UK but I am unclear as to whether it also needs to be 'ratified' by the Thai Embassy in London. Can anyone help?

no

It is very possible that your POA should be notorised by a Notary Public rather than certified by a solicitor. I would look into that. Plus I should think a certified translation of the POA might be required.

Perhaps it might be an idea to get someone to send you a copy of the power of attorney in Thai that is commonly used in Thailand by agents etc when they act for clients at the land registry and your wife could sign it in favour of whoever you plan to use.

Edited by spacebass

I have a Thai friend doing a higher degree in the UK. It has occurred to me to ask her to become my nominee "owner" when I buy land here soon.

I asked a Thai lawyer today if it was possible to do this without her leaving the UK. Absolutely easy he said, she must send me (the lawyer) power of attorney to act on her behalf. Does she need to get it certified or notarised in the UK I asked. He said not necessary for POA in this case. It's not a notarised document I think he said.

I have a Thai friend doing a higher degree in the UK. It has occurred to me to ask her to become my nominee "owner" when I buy land here soon.

I asked a Thai lawyer today if it was possible to do this without her leaving the UK. Absolutely easy he said, she must send me (the lawyer) power of attorney to act on her behalf. Does she need to get it certified or notarised in the UK I asked. He said not necessary for POA in this case. It's not a notarised document I think he said.

Hi sleepyjohn. Sorry I have to disagree with your lawyer. The laws regarding Power of Attorney are not the same for people initiating the PoA in UK and Thailand. A document notarised as per the laws of the country where it is initiated is acceptable. But if possible, notarisation at the Thai Embassy is the safest way. Many people try to get around this by giving an address in Thailand, but it is not legal, and you may be asked for proof by showing entry stamp on passport. Ask him/her to check into it again.

FINACIAL HEALTH WARNING

While I realize this query relates to a husband holding power of attourny for his wife, I'll just add general warning.

DO NOT EVER GIVE A THAI LAWYER YOUR POWER OF ATTOURNEY.

Don't even think of it. Thai law will not protect you if he signs all your worldly goods to his family, it can and does happen.