Will Asean Integration Bring A Flood Of Cheap Filipino Teachers?

I know they aren't flocking to South Korea.

Something about S.K. immigration doesn't issue

E2 or E3 visas for to teach conversational English.

I do believe if the Filipinos refused taking 15,000 baht jobs then wages

for all language teacher should go up. As far as I could tell everyone at my school received

wage increases except the foreign teachers.

To the best of my knowledge, Thailand is the ONLY Asian country where it requires native-speaker teachers to pay for all costs associated with visas, air fares and accommodation. Is this ever reimbursed?

Other countries which are serious about hiring teachers, pay all such costs.

It would be interesting to see what Filipinos would be required to pay before even getting here, and on lower salaries than native speakers.

As a country Thailand does not require that- it's the decision of the individual school. Many pay visa costs and accommodation allowances. Air fares not so much anymore afaik, although a few years back the standard '1 month bonus payment' at the end of the 11 month contract was implied to be to allow the teacher to visit their home.

As for the OP- there are a lot of Filipino teachers here already. In my town there is a thriving Filipino community whose members work at the various schools. Many of the Filipino girls are now married to native speaking teachers working in the same schools. As Loaded said- the schools love them but the parents aren't necessarily so keen.

I doubt it. Why would the Filipinos flock to Thailand when it offers the worst rate of pay for teachers in SEA?

With all respect, but I guess a few hundred thousands are already here, teaching English. Thailand's the only country where Filipinos are hired for teaching positions.

Worst pay rate? A real teacher in the Philippines is making about 6,000 baht. But they will not jut take teaching positions, bars and other establishments will be mixed up as well.

I know that there're some very good Filipino teachers out there, but the majority is doing it to help the families to survive, and don't really give a flying one about the kids' education at all. wai2.gif

• Like 1

I doubt it. Why would the Filipinos flock to Thailand when it offers the worst rate of pay for teachers in SEA?

Indeed, they will follow the money...perhaps to Vietnam??..

But NO, I don't think the situation will change too much in Thailand. Plenty of cheap teachers already working for nickel-and-dime establishments. I know in my situation, if I were to quit, I'd be replaced with a Philipino - much cheaper and they do as they're told - unless parents vote with their feet and pull their kids out.

some of the replies sound racist. Many Filipinos are bi-linguel and speak excellent English. My Fillipino friends speak better English than many Brits with provincial accents.

I tend to agree with the above poster, so here's a reminder of what the rule is:

7) Not to post slurs or degrading comments directed towards any group on

the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

My experience with Filipinos has been mostly very positive, however, we don't employ them as English teachers. They are subject teachers and chosen for their ability in Math, Science, Social Studies, etc..