Norwegian Stein Dokset Accused Of Murder Refuses To Give Testimony: Phuket

webfact

Norwegian accused of murder refuses to give testimony
BY ANDERS HOLM NIELSEN

phuket-1-16560svdcdcfxBUiOpEtxKugevLgsYh
Photo: Orawin Narabal

PHUKET: -- Today was set to be the last day of court before the ruling in a dramatic case, where a 50 year old Norwegian named Stein Dokset stands accused of murdering his ex-girlfriend and concealing the body. However, Dokset refused to explain himself and as a consequence the Judge postponed the final day of court til August 22, leaving the Norwegian in prison for five more months.

The Norwegian is accused of killing his ex-girlfriend Rungnapa “June” Ratchasombut in the summer of 2009, and then hiding the body in a dumpster in his luxury villa in Phuket for the next two and a half years. Authorities believe he killed his ex-girlfriend deliberately and Dokset risks the death penalty or life imprisonment if found guilty.

In trial, Dokset refused to accept the appointed interpreter. He explained that the Thai woman is a journalist from a a local newspaper in Phuket, which he would no accept.

Both the Judge and Dokset’s three lawyers tried to persuade him to approve the interpreter but Dokset refused. The judge declared the court adjourned after half an hour of discussion.

After the brief conference with prosecutors and defense, the Judge decided that the case should continue August 22.

When he was arrested by the Thai federal police last year, Dokset explained that June had died accidentally during a scuffle in which she hit her head on the wall and fallen down the stairs. He then panicked and put the corpse in the garbage container – which moved from room to room in the house and then ended up in a bathroom in the basement.

Dokset pleads innocent to all charges

Source: http://scandasia.com/norwegian-accused-of-murder-refuses-to-give-testimony/

Read original article in Norwegian here: dagbladet.no

-- ScandAsia 2013-03-08

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is outrageous that a man on trial for his life cannot be given the services of a properly qualified interpreter. How can he get a fair hearing there is any doubt in anybody's mind about what is actually being said in court?

What steps are being taken by Denmark to ensure one of their nationals is treated as equitably as a Thai person before a Danish court would?

Thailand's record on human rights is not a proud one and this case should be taken, if necessary, to the International Court of Human Rights to ensure a fair outcome.

• Like 2

It is outrageous that a man on trial for his life cannot be given the services of a properly qualified interpreter. How can he get a fair hearing there is any doubt in anybody's mind about what is actually being said in court?

What steps are being taken by Denmark to ensure one of their nationals is treated as equitably as a Thai person before a Danish court would?

Thailand's record on human rights is not a proud one and this case should be taken, if necessary, to the International Court of Human Rights to ensure a fair outcome.

Yes the man should be given a fair hearing whether he turns out to be guilty or not. It is unconscionable that a case of this magnitude is not transparently fair - just picking up any old mucker from the street and trying to persuade their acceptance is just not on. But then again it is Thai culture and its not Chinese New Year anymore. This smells worse than his house. It seems they just want to get the conviction, take the photos and cobblers to justice. Thai style!

• Like 1

The guys a low life scumbag...unfortunately even if they do (eventually)find him guilty Norway has a prisoner transfer agreement in place with Thailand which means he gets transfered from one Bangkok Hilton to the Oslo Hilton which is of course a f..king joke!!!A bit like the Noble Peace Prize..awarding it to the EU...???cheesy.gif

You are wrong. If the accused is found guilty in Thailand, for a crime committed in Thailand, he will have to do his time there.

It is only under quite special circumstances Norway can apply for an extradition to Norway. This case will most likely not be one of them.

There are several Norwegian prisoners doing their time in Thailand at the moment.

Dokset will do his time in Thailand.

Edited by thaibreaker
  • Like 1

Whatever the circumstances surrounding the death and the likelihood of a fair hearing in Thailand (none), he surely must have known if he continued to conceal the body on his own premises it would be found eventually. He has been living on borrowed time.

• Like 1

Do Thai courts have recognised interpreters, or are they accepting anybody who claims to speak the Thai and English?

I was called as a witness to give evidence at a trial in a court in Chiang Rai a few years ago and they provided a Tourist Police Officer as interpreter. He spoke very good English and relayed my testimony accurately (of course I was only a witness so I wasn't worried anyway). According to the report the guy is objecting to the translator's profession rather than her language skills. If he keeps refusing then he won't have much of a defence and they'll find him guilty end of. He might change his mind after 5 months in jail

• Like 1

The guys a low life scumbag...unfortunately even if they do (eventually)find him guilty Norway has a prisoner transfer agreement in place with Thailand which means he gets transfered from one Bangkok Hilton to the Oslo Hilton which is of course a f..king joke!!!A bit like the Noble Peace Prize..awarding it to the EU...???cheesy.gif

You are wrong. If the accused is found guilty in Thailand, for a crime committed in Thailand, he will have to do his time there.

It is only under quite special circumstances Norway can apply for an extradition to Norway. This case will most likely not be one of them.

There are several Norwegian prisoners doing their time in Thailand at the moment.

YOU ARE WRONG! You need to read up a bit more! Norway does not apply for extradition - The prisoner applies for repatriation! Read up a bit on the law before you spout rubbish!

http://www.correct.go.th/eng/transfer.html

Edited by Briandajew

No you are wrong...he will only do 2 years maximum here before he is then transferred back to Norway to complete "his punishment"...lol!!!It has nothing to do with 'extradition' but as I wrote the 'prisoner transfer agreement' where he then 'does time'..lol back in the Oslo Hilton...better than many hotels!!

Yes the man should be given a fair hearing whether he turns out to be guilty or not. It is unconscionable that a case of this magnitude is not transparently fair - just picking up any old mucker from the street and trying to persuade their acceptance is just not on. But then again it is Thai culture and its not Chinese New Year anymore. This smells worse than his house. It seems they just want to get the conviction, take the photos and cobblers to justice. Thai style!

But, the only thing surprising here, is your expectation of justice, in a country famous for it's Kangaroo courts. Have you ever dealt with a Thai judge, or prosecutor? This country is so far behind so much of the developing world. The justice system reflects that more than some other areas of government. Also, they are discussing the death penalty, which has not been used since 2009, when the last person was executed. Which means they ar discussing a penalty that has not been applied to a Thai national in about 36 months. Peculiar, to say the least.

• Like 1

YOU ARE WRONG! You need to read up a bit more! Norway does not apply for extradition - The prisoner applies for repatriation! Read up a bit on the law before you spout rubbish!

Okey, I read that, and that is a surprise for me, as a Norwegian..

However one must go through the Norwegian Embassy then, and it will be their job to apply for this kind of extradition for the prisoner.

Maybe my choice of words could have been better, but I do my best, and not everyone in here are born in an English speaking country.

It seems not to be as bad put as you want it to be, as Norway (the embassy) will have to assist and make the actual application for this to happen.

Still there are several prisoners doing their time here, and I am very surprised that this then seems to be by choice..

I dont spout rubbish, but thank you for making me up to date when I am wrong.

Edited by thaibreaker
  • Like 1

Of course you've already convicted the guy on what you've read on an internet forum. He's entitled to a decent interpreter, and his story could be accurate. He has a very difficult story to prove, and we'll probably never know the whole truth, but give it a break.

Actually if you read your own link you will see that Norway does have to apply.The prisoner has to ask the embassy to apply on his/her behalf then the application is submitted through diplomatic channels if the home country accepts the request

It seems to be the Thai Embassy that gets the application, and will make the final decision, I was thinking this had to go through the Norwegian Embassy too.

However the Norwegian Embassy must be involved at some time, to make the transfer complete.

Edited by thaibreaker

Do Thai courts have recognised interpreters, or are they accepting anybody who claims to speak the Thai and English?

As a Norwegian, he might prefer someone you can communicate in his mother tongue. Surely, the Norwegian Embassy could provide a list of reliable translators. He could raise little objection to that.

• Like 2

Read all the Comments He will come out clear no circumstantial evidence only evidence from decomposed body i think if the Lawyer he engaged will have 90 % chance to clear him out as there is no direct evidence he will come out ,Lawyer should fight tight only as an discussion not offending any one this is for only an opinion on discussion .

legal system will not take the evidence under force he should not say he pushed even he says so he can turn down his statement under coercion he will be free i am talking in purely as an legal system prevailing laws i am also a Lawyer

• Like 2

Read all the Comments He will come out clear no circumstantial evidence only evidence from decomposed body i think if the Lawyer he engaged will have 90 % chance to clear him out as there is no direct evidence he will come out ,Lawyer should fight tight only as an discussion not offending any one this is for only an opinion on discussion .

legal system will not take the evidence under force he should not say he pushed even he says so he can turn down his statement under coercion he will be free i am talking in purely as an legal system prevailing laws i am also a Lawyer

Perhaps he should get you as his interpreter..........Confusion should be the plea !

A bloke just got off for mowing down folk with his car intentionally, sooooooooooo, anything is possible here. smile.png

This is Thailand. Guilty or not, does anyone blame this guy for being quiet? I hope not.

That was my thoughts exactly... Even thought things don't work like that here, why stoop to their level.