Norwegian Stein Dokset Accused Of Murder Refuses To Give Testimony: Phuket

webfact

The thing that sticks in my mind, and always has been, regardless of what he has said to minimize how it looks is, did he put ''some'' parts of the lady in the bin and was the bin his.

He admitted it putting the body in the wheelie-bin and even did a reconstruction.

As he was the only person with the keys to rooms he hid the bin in, how could it be anyone elses bin?

He had the only keys, how do you know ? How many sets of keys are there for my house ?

When the lady left the relationship do you think she had a set of keys ? I think so, why not, she lived there from time to time. coffee1.gif

He admitted it putting the body in the wheelie-bin and even did a reconstruction.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He should at least be convicted for what he did with the body.

Whe have to wait and see if he will be convicted for murder.

So what would be the charges for handling a body inappropriately?

One of them fraud,because he would have lost income if people knew she was dead.

One of them fraud,because he would have lost income if people knew she was dead.

Maybe, but would there be any charge which could send him to prison for a long time?

Where does it say he was not offered a translator in his preferred language? There is nothing in the news account to make this assumption and plenty of things to suggest this was not the issue including his 3 lawyers and all the officers of the court and his own words which indicate the problem was simply she was a reporter.

Dokset refused to accept the appointed interpreter. He explained that the Thai woman is a journalist from a a local newspaper in Phuket, which he would no accept.

Who and where i said he was not offered onerolleyes.gif

He was offered

1.. an unqualified person who supposedly speaks English

2. For the 10th time, he is Norwegian, what does English Interpreter has to do with him?

3. Perhaps what he said and what he meant were 2 very different things, He could have easily meant that she was not qualified.

4. Could also mean his lawyers misunderstood what he said or wanted

4. Your native tongue supposedly is English and yet you fail to understand something as simple as this, Why should he put his life into the hands of someone, who is not only qualified, not tested but also speaks different language to his native tongue?

Why his lawyers were trying to convince him to take her? why did they not bring someone not only qualified in all aspects, but also someone who he approved of? After all he is paying for his defence,

Should he not have people that he likes?coffee1.gif

I was incredibly clear in NOT saying you said he was not offered a translator. You confirm my first sentence in your #1 statement.

1) Nothing said in the article indicated she is not qualified and nothing in the article say she speaks English as opposed to Norwegian or both.

2) Again, where in the article does it say he was offered an English speaking translator.

3) Perhaps he said men from mars came down from space and have taken over his body but what has been reported is:

Dokset refused to accept the appointed interpreter. He explained that the Thai woman is a journalist from a a local newspaper in Phuket, which he would no accept.

4) Could also mean what the article says and his lawyers simply had not problem with her as did the court.

4) <sic> I assume your native tounge is English and why I am confused that you are stating speculation, based on nothing reported in the OP, as fact.

As reported, his 3 lawyers didn't have a problem with her qualification.

If he wants an interpreter that he "likes" then he should pay for one and verify this person is okay with the court. If he has a legitimate gripe such as her being a reporter then by all means air this complaint as he did. Obviously he was able to persuade the court that having a reporter act as a translator was a legitimate complaint.

Lets just not pretend as fact that there was anything other issue such as language ability that he objected. Find to speculate but the word "English" doesn't even appear in the article. If this has been reported elsewhere then please provide the link and my apologies for missing this different report.

As per previous reports, he has issues with reporters (who wouldn't in his situation) and this combined with the report that he simply had issues with her being a reporter seems to make sense and be a legitimate complaint. No logical reason in my mind to suggest the court and his 3 lawyers wanted him to have a translator he could not 100% understand.

Where does it say he was not offered a translator in his preferred language? There is nothing in the news account to make this assumption and plenty of things to suggest this was not the issue including his 3 lawyers and all the officers of the court and his own words which indicate the problem was simply she was a reporter.

He was offered

2. For the 10th time, he is Norwegian, what does English Interpreter has to do with him?

3. Perhaps what he said and what he meant were 2 very different things, He could have easily meant that she was not qualified.

4. Your native tongue supposedly is English and yet you fail to understand something as simple as this, Why should he put his life into the hands of someone, who is not only qualified, not tested but also speaks different language to his native tongue?

Why his lawyers were trying to convince him to take her? why did they not bring someone not only qualified in all aspects, but also someone who he approved of? After all he is paying for his defence,

I was incredibly clear in NOT saying you said he was not offered a translator. You confirm my first sentence in your #1 statement.

1) Nothing said in the article indicated she is not qualified and nothing in the article say she speaks English as opposed to Norwegian or both.

2) Again, where in the article does it say he was offered an English speaking translator.

3) Perhaps he said men from mars came down from space and have taken over his body but what has been reported is:

4) Could also mean what the article says and his lawyers simply had not problem with her as did the court.

4) <sic> I assume your native tounge is English and why I am confused that you are stating speculation, based on nothing reported in the OP, as fact.

If he wants an interpreter that he "likes" then he should pay for one and verify this person is okay with the court. If he has a legitimate gripe such as her being a reporter then by all means air this complaint as he did. Obviously he was able to persuade the court that having a reporter act as a translator was a legitimate complaint.

Lets just not pretend as fact that there was anything other issue such as language ability that he objected. Find to speculate but the word "English" doesn't even appear in the article. If this has been reported elsewhere then please provide the link and my apologies for missing this different report.

As per previous reports, he has issues with reporters (who wouldn't in his situation) and this combined with the report that he simply had issues with her being a reporter seems to make sense and be a legitimate complaint. No logical reason in my mind to suggest the court and his 3 lawyers wanted him to have a translator he could not 100% understand.

it might be little hard for him at the moment to go "shopping" looking for an interpreterrolleyes.gif , he is in jail,

It would be only common sense for his lawyers to do just that and look for one of his native tongue, NOT just anyone who is self proclaimed Enlgish speaker, which again is hardly relevant to him.

Read again, courts have forgotten to book an interpreter, and there was not one available at the time, yet AGAIN for 11th time, it would seem they meant an English speaking one.

You may need to continue your non logical arguments alone, because frankly i do not know any other words to explain what has already been explained endless times

He was offered

it might be little hard for him at the moment to go "shopping" looking for an interpreterrolleyes.gif , he is in jail,

It would be only common sense for his lawyers to do just that and look for one of his native tongue, NOT just anyone who is self proclaimed Enlgish speaker, which again is hardly relevant to him.

Read again, courts have forgotten to book an interpreter, and there was not one available at the time, yet AGAIN for 11th time, it would seem they meant an English speaking one.

You may need to continue your non logical arguments alone, because frankly i do not know any other words to explain what has already been explained endless times

Do you have any link to support that she was an English only translator and that he wasn't okay with an English Translator? Again if I missed this link previously I apologize but the OP is very clear he objected to her being a reporter and based on the OP it appears he persuaded the court that this was a valid concern.

There is only one statement regarding why he disagreed with his 3-lawyers and the court as to using this interpreter ...

Again, no argument with his reasons be invalid and even the court appears to have accepted his argument but I am just missing anywhere where it says he is not fluent in English or that the interpreter on could translate English or that the court forgot to get an interpreter or that the defendant raised any issue beyond the one about her being a reporter.

I hate to play this game since I am still missing anywhere that said there was an English issue but I can assure you this guy was fluent in English as are about 80 to 90% of Norwegians. He also was a moderator on an English speaking forum. I am also unaware of any country which requires the state to provide an interpreter of any special language except one where the defendant can understand the charges and proceedings against him. Just because somebody speaks 5-different languages doesn't mean the court needs to provide one in each in language or any specific one as long as the defendant can understand.

Again, not only does the OP not support your claims regarding English but the facts and logic and the defendants own words indicate it simply had to do with her being a reporter. Why pretend it was more of an issue when this issue was good enough not to use this interpreter?

Edited by Nisa

Read this update again:

Dokset murder trial postponed for want of a translator
Phuket Gazette

d.jpg
The murder trial of Stein Havard Dokset has been postponed until August 22. Photo: Atchaa Khamlo

PHUKET: -- The murder trial of Stein Havard Dokset was due to continue today but was postponed until August 22 after it was discovered that no court translator was available.

Mr Dokset, accused of murdering his ex-girlfriend Rungnapa Suktong and leaving her remains in a trash bin for months, appeared at Phuket Provincial Court today at 9am (story here).

After a six-hour wait, the judge informed the court that an English-Thai translator was not available.

A Phuket reporter volunteered to be the translator, but Mr Dokset refused, saying he wanted to use the court translator.

“We have had a heavy caseload and neglected to book a translator in advance. We tried to find one this afternoon, but could not,” the judge said.

“The case is postponed to August 22, at which time the case investigators will be called in to give their statements in court again,” he added.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Dokset-murder-trial-postponed-for-want-of-a-translator-20441.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-03-09

• Like 1

As I look for news of his not speaking English or that he had an issue with not being able to fully understand the interpreter, I noticed something I never saw before and that is he actually denied any involvement at first before changing his story to killing her by accident.

http://www.thephuketnews.com/expat-held-after-rotting-corpse-found-in-his-house-28999.php

Mr Dokset told police that he had no idea how the body into his house. “I don’t know who put this garbage in my house. I didn’t notice any smell. My garbage is outside. The one inside the bathroom is not mine.

“If I killed her I wouldn’t keep her in the garbage, in my bathroom, in my house for years.”

http://www.phuketgazette.net/archives/articles/2012/article12452.html

“I did it, but it was an accident,” he said.

“We had an argument. She pushed me and then I pushed her, and she fell down the stairs. I checked her pulse and she was not breathing… I didn’t know what to do. I was scared, so I hid her body,” he told police.

Mr Dokset initially denied the charges against him.

Read this update again:

Phuket Gazette

d.jpg

The murder trial of Stein Havard Dokset has been postponed until August 22. Photo: Atchaa Khamlo

PHUKET: -- The murder trial of Stein Havard Dokset was due to continue today but was postponed until August 22 after it was discovered that no court translator was available.

Mr Dokset, accused of murdering his ex-girlfriend Rungnapa Suktong and leaving her remains in a trash bin for months, appeared at Phuket Provincial Court today at 9am (story here).

After a six-hour wait, the judge informed the court that an English-Thai translator was not available.

A Phuket reporter volunteered to be the translator, but Mr Dokset refused, saying he wanted to use the court translator.

“We have had a heavy caseload and neglected to book a translator in advance. We tried to find one this afternoon, but could not,” the judge said.

“The case is postponed to August 22, at which time the case investigators will be called in to give their statements in court again,” he added.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Dokset-murder-trial-postponed-for-want-of-a-translator-20441.html

pglogo.jpg

Thanks!

Edit: My apologies for missing this but wished somebody could have responded earlier when I first asked where it stated this English issue because it wasn't in the OP.

Although this specific thread is only 6-pages, it sure would be helpful if there was some way you guys could insert these updates under the OP but not sure that is possible. I think many of us just read the OP and then move to the end of the thread to comment and only look at other posters comments on the last page.

Edited by Nisa

Read this update again:

Phuket Gazette

d.jpg

pglogo.jpg

Thanks!

Edit: My apologies for missing this but wished somebody could have responded earlier when I first asked where it stated this English issue because it wasn't in the OP.

Although this specific thread is only 6-pages, it sure would be helpful if there was some way you guys could insert these updates under the OP but not sure that is possible. I think many of us just read the OP and then move to the end of the thread to comment and only look at other posters comments on the last page.

Just an apology for not reading would be sufficient without trying to blame others for YOU not readingcoffee1.gif

No one else seemed to have a problem of missing the updates and i certainly would not be speaking for what "others" dorolleyes.gif

I think many of us just read the OP and then move to the end of the thread to comment and only look at other posters comments on the last page.

That'll get you into trouble more often than not.

I'm surprised a person as nitpicky as you are would not read all the pages.

Read this update again:

Phuket Gazette

d.jpg

pglogo.jpg

Thanks!

No. These updates are posted as to when they are released by the news sources. It is YOUR duty to follow the topic instead of jumping to the last page and posting wild assumptions.

• Like 1

Let's hope for Dokset that they aren't too busy end August and forget to transport him to the court on the 22nd, otherwise they might have to delay it with another 5 months.

Miracle Amazing Thailand.

• Like 2

Let's hope for Dokset that they aren't too busy end August and forget to transport him to the court on the 22nd, otherwise they might have to delay it with another 5 months.

Lets also hope judge and jury will not forget to show up

Lets also hope judge and jury will not forget to show up

This would be the first case with a jury.

Read this update again:

Phuket Gazette

d.jpg

pglogo.jpg

Thanks!

Just an apology for not reading would be sufficient without trying to blame others for YOU not readingcoffee1.gif

No one else seemed to have a problem of missing the updates and i certainly would not be speaking for what "others" dorolleyes.gif

Just to be clear, there was no apology to you but just a general apology to all for missing the post and wasting readers time. Asking and answering questions is part of what a forum is for and as is done by many other posters, when they miss something and ask a question, you simply could have replied telling me there was an update when in the first sentence of my post to your quote I asked ....

Where does it say he was not offered a translator in his preferred language?

Then there would have been no further discussion except for me thanking you for the link / info.

There are so many contradictions in that news update that is really makes the OP almost worthless. The update provides a very different account of the entire day and reasons for the problems. Had he just had an issue with her being a reporter that should have been enough ... especially if she worked for whichever one of these news sites got the info so twisted.

Edited by Nisa

That's exactly what I'm saying. Sorry if i didn't make myself clear. Irrespective of what he's alleged to have done and been charged for, I find it refreshing that he's not simply caved-in to the 'system' here and is standing his ground in an effort to get some degree of professionalism from the Thai judiciary.

It's not so "refreshing" or surprising that he's standing his ground because his life and liberty are at stake. I think the biggest travesty here is that he must wait another 5 months just because they couldn't find a suitable interpreter.

Maybe he should have allegedly murdered June in Norway. That way he would have no language problems. But alas, he decided to relieve her children of having a mother for the rest of their lives as well as her family by, allegedly, doing her in here in Thailand.

Murder in Thailand - Thai Justice. Murder in Norway - Norwegian Justice.

And 5 months is not a long time. I am sure that this case is not the only one they are dealing with. The family and children of June will never see her again so I think him having to wait a few months is not a problem. It takes time to hash these details out behind the scenes between the lawyers. Should they have been ready for this, yes. Should he have not killed her (allegedly), yes. But things happen.

So calm down, the only real travesty here, for FACT, is June is dead and her family have no mother, wife, daughter or sister anymore, that is FACT. The rest.....well this is not an episode of CSI where it gets finished in an hour.

• Like 2

That's exactly what I'm saying. Sorry if i didn't make myself clear. Irrespective of what he's alleged to have done and been charged for, I find it refreshing that he's not simply caved-in to the 'system' here and is standing his ground in an effort to get some degree of professionalism from the Thai judiciary.

It's not so "refreshing" or surprising that he's standing his ground because his life and liberty are at stake. I think the biggest travesty here is that he must wait another 5 months just because they couldn't find a suitable interpreter.

Maybe he should have allegedly murdered June in Norway. That way he would have no language problems. But alas, he decided to relieve her children of having a mother for the rest of their lives as well as her family by, allegedly, doing her in here in Thailand.

And 5 months is not a long time. I am sure that this case is not the only one they are dealing with. The family and children of June will never see her again so I think him having to wait a few months is not a problem. It takes time to hash these details out behind the scenes between the lawyers. Should they have been ready for this, yes. Should he have not killed her (allegedly), yes. But things happen.

So calm down, the only real travesty here, for FACT, is June is dead and her family have no mother, wife, daughter or sister anymore, that is FACT. The rest.....well this is not an episode of CSI where it gets finished in an hour.

Regardless of ''who'' or ''how'' the lady met her demise some here talk as if they know she was an angel. coffee1.gif

Regardless of ''who'' or ''how'' the lady met her demise some here talk as if they know she was an angel. coffee1.gif

The fact that she had a sibling(s) & children & parents make her an angel? Regardless of how she died, the family members are still without her and by all accounts loved her and miss her and the children have to accept their mother was killed and will never see her again but who knows, maybe they are not angels either. Although you are not saying it, there seems to be a suggestion that you believe there may have been a possibility she deserved to die, have her head caved in and then have her corpse rot in a garbage can for years while her family worried and missed their loved one.. Even if she was not an angel, I can't see how this makes any difference (except possibly adding additional motive for captial murder)..

Many assumptions in your post. coffee1.gif

I don't suppose he considered the possibility that she may have tried to attack him with a knife, approached him with a gun, a machete etc. Scorned Thai women can be very dangerous/scary.

There's many scenarios that we can dream up in which she may have been asking for it.

She may not have been totally innocent here i.e. not an angel.

We'll never know because no one will believe the accused because everyone is obsessed/distracted/shocked/blinded by the way in which he disposed of the body.

Edited by tropo

I don't suppose he considered the possibility that she may have tried to attack him with a knife, approached him with a gun, a machete etc. Scorned Thai women can be very dangerous/scary.

There's many situations that we can dream up in which case she was asking for it.

Yep, we don't know. And with a C.. husband there are soooooooooooooo many scenarios in my head. Love to talk with Stein to find out what really happened. Perhaps one day l will.

There's many situations that we can dream up in which case she was asking for it.

Yep, we don't know. And with a C.. husband there are soooooooooooooo many scenarios in my head. Love to talk with Stein to find out what really happened. Perhaps one day l will.

Are you saying that in your opinion there is no way this was premeditated?

No. I have know idea. Do not even know if he did it whistling.gif . I do know that the position he is in is a response to the evidence and how LOS law works. But yeh, perhaps he did the dastardly deed, sure the real truth will be revealed at a later date.

In my opinion it may have been premeditated, or it may not have been. Opinions here are meaningless. The problem here is that everyone seems to have the opinion he's guilty due to an emotional response to the story.

He had nothing to gain from her, after the ending of the relationship.

He was. possibly happy, she did not show up sometimes and wanted more money for the child she had with him. whistling.gif

"He had nothing to gain from her, after the ending of the relationship."

But everything to lose........................

Her Ex - short time husband-boyfriend-Policeman? blink.png

Edited by ALFREDO