Bye Bye Los Cabos - Welcome Hemingway's

bergen

Found a new restaurant yesterday, in Suk. soi 14, where Los Cabos used to be.

Hemingway's is the name, and it looks great. http://www.hemingwaysbangkok.com/

Tried the cheeseburger and it was really good. Hope they will have luck with their concept! I know I will be back! biggrin.png

Edited by bergen
  • Like 1

The menu seems limited and over priced. I have a problem with location, which also hurt it when it was under the old name. The old place went under because of the high rent and overhead and while it seemed it had a decent customer base it wasn't enough. I have a feeling this place won't be around long. Also heard some of the old players are still around.

^^^^^,

Agree about menu and pricing, maybe they are aiming for the tourist market, certainly nothing there that screams out at me, to make me go out my way to eat there.

I have no problem with the location, right next to the BTS, easy access to and from.

I dont think it was the location that hurt, as you rightly point out, it was the rent, the location is at least better than being stuck in some side soi up in Thong Lor.

Agree, the only thing it seems to have to offer is the building and settings, LC was great for a few beers, that house is something else, well worth a visit just for the house.

Old players, from where, when Hemmingways used to be up on Thong Lor?

Post #4, also makes no mention that prior to that it was an overpriced Thai place that was usually empty while Suda right across the road was packed with tourists and locals every night.

Actually, whenever I was at Los Cabos, they seemed to have a decent turnout of customers...

I don't know what the ownership of the property is or the pricing involved.

But my working assumption was, they had the misfortune to launch a new Mexican food place in BKK at just about the same time at La Monita and Tacos & Salsa came along.

And while all 3 are/were different places in different settings and styles, that the other two places probably drew off enough of their customer base to make it un-sustainable, along with Sunrise Tacos being just down the street. That and, the location, while nice and central, lacks visibility.

Re Hemingway's menu, at least as represented on their website, I found it pretty odd that the price of their deserts is higher, at 300 baht, than the price of their hamburger and entree pizzas and various other main dish items. That's a pretty unusual thing.

• 3 weeks later...

Had a great meal here about a month ago with the wife, daughter and a friend who was visiting Bangkok. We ate in the downstairs restaurant area where it was very quiet and comfortable. Had pizza, prawns, meatballs, duck and mojitos.

Everything was great and value for money. Service good and a beautiful location. Maybe I'll go back again soon.

used to frequent Los Cabos when in Bangkok. Liked the setting. Will give Hemingways a try but probably stay away from the deserts & have some more wine.

I wish La Monita had the setting Los Cabos had. Just shows that the food is more important than anything else in the end.

Los Cabos had the best chile rellenos in Thailand.

Rob used to fly the poblano chiles in himself. I miss Los Cabos.

Did try La Monita last time in BKK and it is excellent, puts Sunrise to shame, but then so would a Taco Bell.........Sunrise is miserable.

As another poster mentioned, don't really look for a cheeseburger when in BKK, but good to see at least the historical building is in use.

Actually, right across the street is a Thai food place I like go to, big beers and good Thai food.

Edited by grumpyoldman