What To Eat To Lose Weight In Thailand?

MrHammer

I want to lose 5 kgs - down from 105 kg to 100 kg - in a month. My plan is to lift weights 2.5 pr. week and do high intensity cardio for 50 minutes 2 times per week (rowing machine and muay thai).

So, knowing this excersize plan, can anyone recommend eating habits here in Bangkok to help towards my goal? I don't cook much food by myself and I like Thai food.

Any specifics on what dishes to order and what to avoid?

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just go for stuff like raab (make sure they don't put msg in it just found out that that is normal). Just try to cut down on the rice with your dishes go for stuff like sate (moo ping). Better to eat meats and veggies then rice, if you have some insuline resistance.

Just try to ask them not to put sugar in your dishes, its quite hard to control your food if your not cooking yourself. But if you buy one of those table ovens (halogen grill or whatever) you can make some meat, you can buy frozen or fresh veggies everywhere and just cook them.

Also in supermarkets there is often a kind of salad bar as long as you don't take the sauce and ad some tuna or even chicken to it you have a fine meal that could fill you up.

It is of course all a bit more inconvinient as buying it al at your local street food vendor.

• Like 1

Over the past 2 months I've done roughly what you're trying to do now. E.g. In 2 months I went from 112kg down to 100, so around 6kg a month.

Diet wise I ordered the Thai food I would have likely ordered anyway for lunch (although mu grop and pad Thai I tried to avoid), and then only ate a maximum of half the rice which came with the meal. For dinner I tried to eat a salad (usually som dtum Thai or dtum mamuang), with rice (again maximum of half the standard serving). I also tried to cut out all soft drink and junkfood, although would sometimes have fruit between meals if I was really hungry.

On the weekends I'd relax and eat what I wanted, so mcdonalds or kfc, maybe some ice cream even a beer or two, it let me satisfy my cravings and still go out with friends without having to be too fussy on where we went/ what we did etc. Although of course keeping in mind my diet so trying to not pig out or anything.

I was also doing cardio on average around 4 days a week (usually around 20-30mins running or sometimes 10-15 mins rowing).

I'd occasionally cheat on my diet, and have a coke or an ice cream during the week, but generally I could wait until the weekend without any problems.

I hope that that is of assistance for you

• Like 2

It will be difficult to lose it so quickly, and then keep it off. You may have to work just as hard not 'rebounding'.

I did similar to you, helped a great deal by Robblok (who's a regular here) who gave me some real good advice. The best advice I can give is to lay off rice, white bread, sweet coffee etc and stick to tuna or egg salads, fish and chicken (be careful of the oily stuff). I also supplement with whey protein.

Keep us informed of your progress, as it's always interesting to read about people's successes and how they managed it

• Like 1

Cut out sugar (including sweets and pops, and beer) from your diet. Concentrate on greens and meats as your staple foods. Try to limit starch (bread, potatoes, rice, etc.) - I shred up cabbage and use it as a sub for rice - works great!

• Like 2

Over the past 2 months I've done roughly what you're trying to do now. E.g. In 2 months I went from 112kg down to 100, so around 6kg a month.

Diet wise I ordered the Thai food I would have likely ordered anyway for lunch (although mu grop and pad Thai I tried to avoid), and then only ate a maximum of half the rice which came with the meal. For dinner I tried to eat a salad (usually som dtum Thai or dtum mamuang), with rice (again maximum of half the standard serving). I also tried to cut out all soft drink and junkfood, although would sometimes have fruit between meals if I was really hungry.

On the weekends I'd relax and eat what I wanted, so mcdonalds or kfc, maybe some ice cream even a beer or two, it let me satisfy my cravings and still go out with friends without having to be too fussy on where we went/ what we did etc. Although of course keeping in mind my diet so trying to not pig out or anything.

I was also doing cardio on average around 4 days a week (usually around 20-30mins running or sometimes 10-15 mins rowing).

I'd occasionally cheat on my diet, and have a coke or an ice cream during the week, but generally I could wait until the weekend without any problems.

Very surprising you have lost 12kgs in 2 months on the diet and exercise regimen you have mentioned. Some guys are lucky!

Very surprising you have lost 12kgs in 2 months on the diet and exercise regimen you have mentioned. Some guys are lucky!

Some people loose weight easier as others, but it depends on the starting point and how bad the meals were before. At first it always goes fast later it usually slows down. But he is sticking to it and its working for him.

I know i had to resort to much more extreme things then this to get results, but i got there too it might have cost more effort but i like the result.

Just because something is hard does not mean it can't be done.

• Like 2

Yeah starting at 112kg meant that my weight flies off relatively quickly, particularly as I did have a really terrible diet previously (Yum Mu Grob is probably my favourite Thai dish lol. mmmm crispy fatty pork...., and drinking around 1L of soft drink a day didn't help either lol), not to mention that I hadn't done much exercise for a year or so.

Yeah starting at 112kg meant that my weight flies off relatively quickly, particularly as I did have a really terrible diet previously (Yum Mu Grob is probably my favourite Thai dish lol. mmmm crispy fatty pork...., and drinking around 1L of soft drink a day didn't help either lol), not to mention that I hadn't done much exercise for a year or so.

Losing weight can be easy for someone who has a very rich diet because it's easy to identify the culprits. I have a friend who's struggling and he doesn't eat much at all never mind obvious junk.

I just remembered that you're only 30 years old. The fiend I was talking about is mid-50's. You still have age on your side as far as your basic hormonal systems are concerned. You're still in your prime - don't waste it.

Green tea, like coffee, helps your metabolism to burn calories faster. I prefer green tea for a number of reasons: it has more antioxidants than coffee, it gives you mental clarity but none of the jittery/worried feeling one can get from too much coffee; also, my digestive system definitely prefers green tea - individual response to coffee can be quite different though. If you are going to try, buy green tea dried leaves (I like sencha leaves) and make your own at home.

Daily brisk walks of 45-50 min are great for burning fat. If you have the time, add them to your exercise schedule.

• Like 1

Green tea, like coffee, helps your metabolism to burn calories faster. I prefer green tea for a number of reasons: it has more antioxidants than coffee, it gives you mental clarity but none of the jittery/worried feeling one can get from too much coffee; also, my digestive system definitely prefers green tea - individual response to coffee can be quite different though. If you are going to try, buy green tea dried leaves (I like sencha leaves) and make your own at home.

Daily brisk walks of 45-50 min are great for burning fat. If you have the time, add them to your exercise schedule.

I love my daily walks. Good for me emotionally as well as physically. I incorporate a little HIIT in it too to get the metabolism going.

Go on the partial fasting plan. You can find details on-line. Bottom line what you eat to lose weight is LESS. Oh and get more exercise. Walk one stop more before getting on a BTS/bus, walk to the end of the soi instead of getting a motocy, walk to the end of the soi before getting a taxi. Park at the far end of Tesco car park, Join the Hash. Anything.

Edited by VocalNeal

Go on the partial fasting plan. You can find details on-line.

Intermittent fasting can be helpful for stubborn cases. Read up on it carefully. Use for those last few kilos after you've lost all you can thru conventional low carb.

Bottom line what you eat to lose weight is LESS.

No. Edited by JSixpack
  • Like 1

all of the above works....

if you can cut out 100% zero sugar and ALL types of bread,limit rice and starches, remember if you are lifting get some GOOD carbs into your system prior to workout and some extra protein straight after for full benefits. Good luck and more importantly Good Health.. smile.png

• Like 2

Breakfast like a King, lunch like a Prince & evening meal like a pauper. Works for me, oh and buy a cycle and a couple of dogs, I got a Husky who can go miles!

Unless you are doing intermittent fasting,then you don't eat anything all day and have a 4 hours or so feeding window int he evening. That works great as well!

• Like 1

Breakfast like a King, lunch like a Prince & evening meal like a pauper. Works for me, oh and buy a cycle and a couple of dogs, I got a Husky who can go miles!

Unless you are doing intermittent fasting,then you don't eat anything all day and have a 4 hours or so feeding window int he evening. That works great as well!

For some it works, I will only comment when i think things really don't work. But there are many ways that won't work for people but work for others.

Right now after a year of loosing weight im eating more and my weight has stabilized and im happy. I might even still be loosing fat as i am getting stronger. I can't be really sure. But it does feel good no longer eating too little.

Its easier to maintain weight then to loose it.

• 2 weeks later...

all of the above works....

if you can cut out 100% zero sugar and ALL types of bread,limit rice and starches, remember if you are lifting get some GOOD carbs into your system prior to workout and some extra protein straight after for full benefits. Good luck and more importantly Good Health.. smile.png

Excellent advice. Try this for a month: no sugar (or artificial sweetener), dairy, grain, alcohol, or seed oils. Eat all real foods, including meat, fish and eggs, lots and lots of veggies. Use olive oil or coconut oil. Get your starch from a little bit of sweet potato or squash. You can have one or two pieces of fruit a day, but if you are trying to lose weight, you can do without (your veggies have plenty of nutrients).

Bottom line what you eat to lose weight is LESS.

No.

Eating less will work every time (assuming no change in activity levels).

The reason why the Paleo or Atkins diets are effective is because they tend to dull the appetite - which means eating less calories overall.

... but no matter what you eat, if you eat less of it you will lose weight (assuming no change in activity levels).

If a person is insulin resistant there is more reason to go low carb, but if a person has normal glucose tolerance, it won't matter much what they eat, as long as they eat less calories.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

Unfortunately life begin to sux badly with age, we have to restrict carbohydrates and what-not,

so buy 'reduce' at pharmacy that will calm down your hunger,

and brace yourself for replacing some meals with protein shakes

http://www.club-protein.com/

it ain't good, but mix with a couple of bananas, some milk, its ok,

tho not fun.

For snack i have boiled egg & caviar

Unfortunately life begin to sux badly with age, we have to restrict carbohydrates and what-not,

so buy 'reduce' at pharmacy that will calm down your hunger,

and brace yourself for replacing some meals with protein shakes

http://www.club-protein.com/

it ain't good, but mix with a couple of bananas, some milk, its ok,

tho not fun.

For snack i have boiled egg & caviar

Once again I must state that I find the WPC from your above link very enjoyable. Mix it with some apple juice, apple sauce, milk or even water. Blend it with fruit - very nice. There's no end of possibilities to make enjoyable protein drinks with it. It's the easiest way to get lots of extra protein in the diet.

I can't see the point of providing a link and then suggesting what you get "ain't good". This is not the first time you've had a whinge about it.

I consume nearly 1kg per week, so I certainly have nothing bad to say about it. If I didn't like it I wouldn't drink it.

.....But if you drank beer and ate all the food you wanted you would become fat,

and if being lean takes priority, you would drink that milk no matter what

I find WPC a very convenient way to increase my daily protein intake... but I do enjoy it.

Every time you make negative comments about it I come back with positive comments. I'm thankful that there's a company in Bangkok (the one you linked) which supplies raw WPC at a good price. I would prefer we support them than make negative comments about it.

Now talking about beer - that is a drink I really dislike. There's no chance of me getting fat on that.

.....But if you drank beer and ate all the food you wanted you would become fat,

and if being lean takes priority, you would drink that milk no matter what

I find WPC a very convenient way to increase my daily protein intake... but I do enjoy it.

Every time you make negative comments about it I come back with positive comments. I'm thankful that there's a company in Bangkok (the one you linked) which supplies raw WPC at a good price. I would prefer we support them than make negative comments about it.

Now talking about beer - that is a drink I really dislike. There's no chance of me getting fat on that.

I too like the WPC, but if you really hate it just buy flavored stuff at phuket health shop they work with a Thai bank account too.

For me that it has no flavor is a pre, but you could even buy some cacao and add it to the drink though you would probably add sugar then too and that would be bad.

I don't use as much as Tropo as my diet reaches its protein and calorie levels easy on normal foods. (too easy) But i do take it every day with my yogurt.