What To Eat To Lose Weight In Thailand?

MrHammer

I thought the smilie was clear enough i was joking.

Anyway like i said before many things are just personal in how we train and what works best for us (within certain limits of course) You only know it once you try it and you have.

I did see the smiley... it's just that I'm passionate about joint recovery from hard weight training. When I structure my weekly workouts I consider the rest days joints get between workouts. This doesn't get enough attention in most programs... hence rotator cuff and elbow injuries are all too common.

I know too well about this....got bad elbow joint pain before when working out, now I take recovery and rehabilitation time much more seriously! Same with running, I sued to try to run through ankle pain which only made it worse. Now I just walk if the ankle feels bad...which is less and less.

Yes, most everyone tries to work through these injuries at first until they finally realise it makes them worse. Active recovery can work, but it has to be done very carefully so as not to make the injury worse.

The shoulder and elbow injuries are common to people who train hard in the gym and most commonly due to overuse. I didn't mention ankle, knee or back injuries - because knee and back injuries are usually caused by bad exercise form or pushing more weight than they can safely handle and/or strength imbalances rather than overuse... and ankle problems are common with runners.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know we talked about HIT high intensity training before but saw a great show tonight about how 3 x I minutes sessions a week at high intensity on the bike can improve your blood sugar numbers and aerobic capacity quite significantly.

I used to do it on the bike for 30 mins a couple of times a week but you only need to do 3 minutes a week to get great health improvements.

And apparently good blood sugar and high aerobic capacity are strong indicators of longevity.

The guy in the show did it for 1 month and improved his insulin sensitivity by 23 percent. He was high normal when he was first tested.

Edited by Tolley
  • Like 1

I know we talked about HIT high intensity training before but saw a great show tonight about how 3 x I minutes sessions a week at high intensity on the bike can improve your blood sugar numbers and aerobic capacity quite significantly.

I used to do it on the bike for 30 mins a couple of times a week but you only need to do 3 minutes a week to get great health improvements.

And apparently good blood sugar and high aerobic capacity are strong indicators of longevity.

The guy in the show did it for 1 month and improved his insulin sensitivity by 23 percent. He was high normal when he was first tested.

That is HIIT I have done it too.. and don't fall for the gimmick.. i mean they always market it as 3 minutes a week.. but inreality its more that is needed. But if they get some people to do it its good.. Dont forget you need a warmup and cool down..

Plus you cant do it too much either as its real intense.

That is HIIT I have done it too.. and don't fall for the gimmick.. i mean they always market it as 3 minutes a week.. but inreality its more that is needed. But if they get some people to do it its good.. Dont forget you need a warmup and cool down..

I'm with you on this. If a person is very fit and conditioned to the particular exercise that he is doing, then it should be OK, but for unconditioned people or older people it's downright dangerous (and stupid).

... as this 53 year old guy found out the hard way after using the rowing machine for HIIT. It could have happened with any exercise or machine, so it's wrong to implicate this particular exercise as any better or worse than any other for HIIT.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22141372

I'm with you on this. If a person is very fit and conditioned to the particular exercise that he is doing, then it should be OK, but for unconditioned people or older people it's downright dangerous (and stupid).

... as this 53 year old guy found out the hard way after using the rowing machine for HIIT. It could have happened with any exercise or machine, so it's wrong to implicate this particular exercise as any better or worse than any other for HIIT.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22141372

Of course its wrong to imply a rowing machine, but its easier to do HIIT on then any other machine.. i mean easier as in no need to regulate buttons to do it you just pull harder. Not easier as in easier on the body. I have don HIIT on rower and on bike.. you need to be in shape for it. Once i do it I feel like dying :P (if you do it correctly you will be breathing like crazy).

But even on the bike its hard so it can happen on any machine or routine. HITT is real demanding.

I agree about the unconditioned people and such.

Anyway like i said before many things are just personal in how we train and what works best for us (within certain limits of course) You only know it once you try it and you have.

I did see the smiley... it's just that I'm passionate about joint recovery from hard weight training. When I structure my weekly workouts I consider the rest days joints get between workouts. This doesn't get enough attention in most programs... hence rotator cuff and elbow injuries are all too common.

OP - sorry to go off topic here but heed tropos words about rest days - i overdid it and have suffered a case of golfer's elbow last november that is taking MONTHS to right itself! it's STILL sore and i cannot train on that arm at all.... it's better to take it easy and be able to continue with your routine than it is to hammer it and end up out of the game.

Edited by GooEng

OP - sorry to go off topic here but heed tropos words about rest days - i overdid it and have suffered a case of golfer's elbow last november that is taking MONTHS to right itself! it's STILL sore and i cannot train on that arm at all.... it's better to take it easy and be able to continue with your routine than it is to hammer it and end up out of the game.

I certainly agree, but we all need to find how much rest is good for us

I certainly don't want to overdo things as i have done in the past. However my routine has proved to be safe for me.

That does not mean it can't be improved upon and however much i like tropo and respect his knowledge i am not blindly copying him. In the end its all about how i feel and to see if there is a need to change.

But i really do understand the need for rest as with out rest there is no recovery and growth.

But i really do understand the need for rest as with out rest there is no recovery and growth.

Injury prevention is more important than muscle growth. One bad injury can cancel out years of growth... as GooEng is finding out the hard way. If you can stay healthy and uninjured, you'll win the race even if your progress may seem slow.

There is a prevailing attitude among the bodybuilding community - that more is better. It's always been that way.

Some people discover that less is more. The others just quit.

Of course its wrong to imply a rowing machine, but its easier to do HIIT on then any other machine.. i mean easier as in no need to regulate buttons to do it you just pull harder. Not easier as in easier on the body. I have don HIIT on rower and on bike.. you need to be in shape for it. Once i do it I feel like dying tongue.png (if you do it correctly you will be breathing like crazy).

But even on the bike its hard so it can happen on any machine or routine. HITT is real demanding.

No matter what exercise a person does for HIIT, it implies that he is going as hard as he can for intervals. Maximum exertion.

I wouldn't be surprised that with people like Dr Mercola and others recommending it as the number way to lose fat, that many people are/will be dying of strokes and heart attacks.

If you've ever watched Dr Mercola's video demonstration of his HIIT session on the elliptical machine you'd appreciate what I'm saying. It's lunacy. You'd think he'd know better.

Apart from being extremely stressful, it's no fun at all... even for a seasoned athlete.

Edited by tropo

Of course its wrong to imply a rowing machine, but its easier to do HIIT on then any other machine.. i mean easier as in no need to regulate buttons to do it you just pull harder. Not easier as in easier on the body. I have don HIIT on rower and on bike.. you need to be in shape for it. Once i do it I feel like dying tongue.png (if you do it correctly you will be breathing like crazy).

No matter what exercise a person does for HIIT, it implies that he is going as hard as he can for intervals. Maximum exertion.

I wouldn't be surprised that with people like Dr Mercola and others recommending it as the number way to lose fat, that many people are/will be dying of strokes and heart attacks.

If you've ever watched Dr Mercola's video demonstration of his HIIT session on the elliptical machine you'd appreciate what I'm saying. It's lunacy. You'd think he'd know better.

Apart from being extremely stressful, it's no fun at all... even for a seasoned athlete.

You are right.. not fun at all.. i hate it im totally destroyed after a session. But i do train it sometimes but a steady cardio session is easier and more enjoyable (as far as i can really enjoy it)

Injury prevention is more important than muscle growth. One bad injury can cancel out years of growth... as GooEng is finding out the hard way. If you can stay healthy and uninjured, you'll win the race even if your progress may seem slow.

There is a prevailing attitude among the bodybuilding community - that more is better. It's always been that way.

Some people discover that less is more. The others just quit.

They often get that expression from top bodybuilders but they usually use some "juice" to recover faster. You can't do that natural. I agree about the recovery and about staying healthy and injury free.. I am just not convinced that 3 days a week of rest is not enough. Anyway this is of course a personal matter and things might change later on. (some of those 3 days could be active recovery)

The researchers did mention that HIT is not suitable for people who couldnt handlte the intensity of it.

I thought it was interesting in a scientific way especially the results it gathered but it is not my cup of tea. I like playing a sport and I like lifting weights and I have the time to do it so that is what i like to do.

They were also doing genetic dna testing as part of this process and they made predictions based on the dna profile of how much benefit you would get out of the training.

They had a sort of bell curve which showed how some people get an enormous amount of benefit out of training whilst others at the end of the bell curve not very much at all. Of course the caveat on that was they were looking at key indicators like blood sugar levels and aerobic capacity as their markers and not taking into account the many other benefits of exercise and training.

You are right.. not fun at all.. i hate it im totally destroyed after a session. But i do train it sometimes but a steady cardio session is easier and more enjoyable (as far as i can really enjoy it)

...and you're a seasoned trainer with good conditioning. Imagine the stress on the hearts of unconditioned people.

I haven't done a lot of HIIT as I only experimented for awhile, but I can imagine long term it would be very difficult to keep up. People would start to dread the sessions.

Edited by tropo

The researchers did mention that HIT is not suitable for people who couldnt handlte the intensity of it.

I thought it was interesting in a scientific way especially the results it gathered but it is not my cup of tea. I like playing a sport and I like lifting weights and I have the time to do it so that is what i like to do.

They were also doing genetic dna testing as part of this process and they made predictions based on the dna profile of how much benefit you would get out of the training.

They had a sort of bell curve which showed how some people get an enormous amount of benefit out of training whilst others at the end of the bell curve not very much at all. Of course the caveat on that was they were looking at key indicators like blood sugar levels and aerobic capacity as their markers and not taking into account the many other benefits of exercise and training.

I would guess you were watching that BBC documentary with the presenter getting on the bike 3x per week for a minute or so (I don't remember the title but I have it saved on my computer). There's so many flaws in that documentary "study" I wouldn't know where to start... especially the DNA testing which predicted response to exercise.

If you like, we can start another topic on it. I'll watch it again and let fly....biggrin.png

Edited by tropo

I agree with you about the flaws. You could poke a million holes in it.

Nonetheless it was still interesting in that you could get results like that doing that sort of training for such a limited amount of time.

I am all for a wholistic approach to health and fitness so I wouldn't do it nor would I recommend it but anything to do with fitness or health piques my interest because it is one of my hobbies.

It was a BBC documentary saw it on SBS last night

I would guess you were watching that BBC documentary with the presenter getting on the bike 3x per week for a minute or so (I don't remember the title but I have it saved on my computer). There's so many flaws in that documentary "study" I wouldn't know where to start... especially the DNA testing which predicted response to exercise.

If you like, we can start another topic on it. I'll watch it again and let fly....biggrin.png

Tropo, I am interested in the program if you had something like dropbox or the name of the program i could look for it.

Tropo, I am interested in the program if you had something like dropbox or the name of the program i could look for it.

I'll look it up and see if I can find a download link for you.

I don't think you're going to be over impressed by it though... Especially the part where they "determine" that some people don't respond to exercise and the exercise they do for the sake of the experiment is about 3 minutes a week. There's no indication about the condition of the participants in the trial before they begin.

Just offering up what has worked for me. I think the OP can see maybe someone in shape burns 450 calories, while someone trying to get in shape burns much less. Pretty standard advice to lay off alcohol to lose weight, especially in th e beginning trying to reset a metabolism

"Training a gut "is a saying in the gym for the beer swillers who have too much arm but too little waistline,gut all loose and slaggy when they do crunches.

I stand by my advice, hold muscles tight to get faster results on the waistline.

I agree with this but would add- cut meat out, or at least animal. Plain chicken , fish OK and you'll lose,quite naturally,. Natural honey in 1 coffee is OK ,

Cut out sugar (including sweets and pops, and beer) from your diet. Concentrate on greens and meats as your staple foods. Try to limit starch (bread, potatoes, rice, etc.) - I shred up cabbage and use it as a sub for rice - works great!

Just don't eat processed foods, have a baked or boiled potato, smother it in plain yoghurt, or even a little butter, don't use margarine, limit oil but a little 1 table spoon one or twice a week is OK, olive esp is healthy and be wary of " diet foods" too processed. LIMIT alcohol , that's the fatty-upper. you can do cardio for 30 minutes and only burn the calories of a glass of wine

Mild cardio for 30 minutes everyday is the way to lose it fast , and keep it off. brisk walks etc, elliptical is optimal for non joint stress

When you do sit ups, always hold the muscle tight or what you'll train is a gut.

You should also not eat high sugar fruits, like watermelon, or juices. Drink soda water w lime it's delicious.

I think red meat is just as good as chicken or better. I would suggest the best way is to vary the type of meats you consume. i.e. one meal of chicken, another of beef, another of fish...

30 minutes to burn off a glass of wine?

127 calories in an average glass of wine.

My low intensity cardio can burn off the calories in half a litre of wine in 30 minutes (430 cal). I suppose if you walk slowly for 30 minutes you're not going to burn many calories, but you can't really call a slow walk "cardio" as the heart rate is unlikely to go much over resting unless you're very unfit.

Bananas, mangoes and other high sugar fruits are fine as long as they fit into your daily calorie intake goals and you don't have severe insulin resistance.

"When you do sit ups, always hold the muscle tight or what you'll train is a gut"

What do you mean "train a gut"?

You won't get a gut from doing situps no matter how you perform them. The gut comes from overeating which causes visceral and subcutaneous fat accumulation in the mid section.

Situps will not improve your midsection visually if you have a gut. When you have a gut situps are only useful to improve core strength in the mid-section and a few sets once or twice per week will be sufficient. You'll only start seeing abs when you get the sub-cutaneous fat down to 10% or below. This will vary a bit from person to person depending on the individual's pattern of fat deposition. Most fat people waste far too much time and energy on ab work due to believing these common exercise myths - energy they could put to better use doing other stuff.

Just offering up what has worked for me. I think the OP can see maybe someone in shape burns 450 calories, while someone trying to get in shape burns much less. Pretty standard advice to lay off alcohol to lose weight, especially in th e beginning trying to reset a metabolism

"Training a gut "is a saying in the gym for the beer swillers who have too much arm but too little waistline,gut all loose and slaggy when they do crunches.

I stand by my advice, hold muscles tight to get faster results on the waistline.

I'm sorry, but I have to call you out on this because we don't want people to think you can crunch (or situp) your way to a trim mid-section. It's impossible. As it is too many people believe this and spend hours and hours doing situps and crunches when they could be using their energy more wisely on something more effective.

There's 2 types of fat which make up a big gut. The inside fat or visceral fat, and the outside fat - the "jiggly" subcutaneous fat. Neither of these will disappear from doing ab exercises. A calorie deficit is required, from either diet, exercise or both to remove that.

No gut will ever get smaller by training it. In fact if the ab muscles grow from intense "gut" training, your gut will get bigger if you can't lose the fat.

• Like 1

Well true tropo, but there are also men with near no belly muscles at all, and then the gut will swell out

because of this, but gut muscles get some from many exercises

Strong or developed abdominal muscles do not hold a gut in. If there is excessive visceral fat in the abdominal cavity your gut will protrude no matter what exercises you do. You can actually have a 6 pack and still have a big protruding abdomen. I used to be like that. I measured about 41" but could pull it in to show a 6-pack, but as soon as I relax the gut sticks out again.

If you're looking for some help, stomach vacuums could be useful. They strengthen the transverse abdominus muscles, which do help to keep everything in place.

Edited by tropo

Yes i heard about the stomach vacuums before bodybuilders of old used it.

I think the last big name bodybuilder (of old) who used to pose with a stomach vacuum was Lee Haney. They had incredible control of their mid-sections in the earlier days.

I was doing the stomach vacuums last year in between my sets of ab work. I'll have to get back into it.

Reduce 15, protein shakes, and kefir helps me cope with starvation

Reduce 15 be careful with that stuff....

Killer pills...

http://www.prescriptiondrug-info.com/Discuss/Reduce-15-Mg-212715.htm

Read this online while reading about Reduce 15....

From what I can find, Reduce contains the active ingredient Subutramine, which has been pulled from the market in many countries, due to the severe dangers associated with it.

It can cause cardiac related dangers, such as: accelerate heart rate, trouble breathing, elevated pulse and elevated blood pressure. There have been some instances where this has resulted in severe illness, hospitalization and death.

Reduce 15, protein shakes, and kefir helps me cope with starvation

Reduce 15 be careful with that stuff....

Killer pills...

http://www.prescriptiondrug-info.com/Discuss/Reduce-15-Mg-212715.htm

Read this online while reading about Reduce 15....

From what I can find, Reduce contains the active ingredient Subutramine, which has been pulled from the market in many countries, due to the severe dangers associated with it.

It can cause cardiac related dangers, such as: accelerate heart rate, trouble breathing, elevated pulse and elevated blood pressure. There have been some instances where this has resulted in severe illness, hospitalization and death.

Yes, most stuff that works has side effects, i have used reduce on my holiday as i lost a lot of weight and wanted to keep it off. It worked, i also noticed a slightly elevated heart rate. In the end you have to choose what you use and your quoting the most bad things that can happen. Just like some people die from bee stings and others don't that does not mean everyone has to fear it but they should treat it with respect.

There are also people dying of aspirin just to put things into perspective.. im not pushing the stuff just letting people think for themselves.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I once started a diet that said you'd lose 5 KG in one week.It involved a lot of eggs.Sounded good to me so I tried it and lost 4 KG in my first week.After that week I got bored with it and went back to my old eating habits.Been piling on the weight since I moved to LOS,so I might just try it again.

• 4 weeks later...

According to me you should just try to eat low fat and carbs in your diet. Also avoid to eat fast food. Because it has too many fat and carbs. And harmful for weight loss plan. With that try to drink green tea to boost your metabolism. But just diet is not enough. Also do some cardio exercise daily.