What To Eat To Lose Weight In Thailand?

MrHammer

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you could even buy some cacao and add it to the drink though you would probably add sugar then too and that would be bad.

Just use a packet of artificial sweetener.

Cacao, a little coconut milk, maybe some bran for extra fiber, cinnamon. Fruit unfortunately means sugar, not recommended for dieters.

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipes.asp?food=protein+shake+low+carb

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lowcarb-recipe-help-suggestions/602914-great-american-low-carb-protein-shake-taste-test-thread.html

If you like it don't eat it or drink it, if you don't like it eat and drink all that you want! If you really don't like it you will lose weight fast. I could really lose some weight if all that I had to eat was vegemite!

you could even buy some cacao and add it to the drink though you would probably add sugar then too and that would be bad.

Cacao, a little coconut milk, maybe some bran for extra fiber, cinnamon. Fruit unfortunately means sugar, not recommended for dieters.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lowcarb-recipe-help-suggestions/602914-great-american-low-carb-protein-shake-taste-test-thread.html

Interesting, about the artificial sweetener I have not used it as it had gotten a bad rep. I do like drinking some hot chocolate milk at times but as i don't add sugar it usually tastes a bit bitter. But still nice.

Unfortunately life begin to sux badly with age, we have to restrict carbohydrates and what-not,

so buy 'reduce' at pharmacy that will calm down your hunger,

and brace yourself for replacing some meals with protein shakes

http://www.club-protein.com/

it ain't good, but mix with a couple of bananas, some milk, its ok,

tho not fun.

For snack i have boiled egg & caviar

I don't subscribe to your dreary appraisal of diet.

I enjoy what I eat and I eat three meals a day and snack and I am in good shape too.

I don't replace any meals with protein shakes and in fact unless you are doing lots of weights I don't see why you really need protein shakes on any regular basis.

If you are a drinker all bets are off because alcohol invariably causes weight issues for a number of reasons but otherwise with adequate activity you should be able to eat a varied diet and maintain a good body weight.

Of course if you have blood sugar problems, thyroid issues, low T counts, or other metabolic disorders then these would need to be rectified before you could guarantee being able to maintain a good body weight.

• Like 2

Yeah, but i used to eat 6 meals a day and then some meals at night.

Anyways i have now lost 12 kg, from 106 to 94.

You must spend all day eating to have six meals a day plus some at night !

It sounds like some sort of food addiction emotional eating problem.

Good luck with what you are doing now. Try to find something that really enjoy doing apart from eating that will keep you occupied and busy and more satisfied with life.

Interesting, about the artificial sweetener I have not used it as it had gotten a bad rep. I do like drinking some hot chocolate milk at times but as i don't add sugar it usually tastes a bit bitter. But still nice.

I'm avoiding all sweet stuff, including artificial sweeteners now, but you can try "stevia", it is a natural sweetener You can find it in liquid form at foodland.

I'm avoiding all sweet stuff, including artificial sweeteners now, but you can try "stevia", it is a natural sweetener You can find it in liquid form at foodland.

That's good to know. I didn't know you could get it here. I order mine from the US - in powder form.

Good luck with what you are doing now. Try to find something that really enjoy doing apart from eating that will keep you occupied and busy and more satisfied with life.

You've misunderstood him and bashing him for it.

He's under the impression that for maximum muscle growth you should consume small amounts of protein frequently. It's quite common for bodybuilders to eat 3 or 4 solid meals per day and add 2 or 3 liquid meals in the form of protein shakes.

One reason why this method has be perpetuated is because there is a theory that not more than 30 grams of protein can be assimilated at a meal... then in order to get 200 - 300 grams of protein you much eat frequent small meals.

This is debatable, but it's certainly does have its merits. Small meals can move through the digestive system quickly and can leave one more energetic than if eating large meals. It's easy on the digestive system. It can also help to keep blood sugar levels more constant throughout the day.

Edited by tropo

He's under the impression that for maximum muscle growth you should consume small amounts of protein frequently. It's quite common for bodybuilders to eat 3 or 4 solid meals per day and add 2 or 3 liquid meals in the form of protein shakes.

One reason why this method has be perpetuated is because there is a theory that not more than 30 grams of protein can be assimilated at a meal... then in order to get 200 - 300 grams of protein you much eat frequent small meals.

This is debatable, but it's certainly does have its merits. Small meals can move through the digestive system quickly and can leave one more energetic than if eating large meals. It's easy on the digestive system. It can also help to keep blood sugar levels more constant throughout the day.

Long ago i was a follower of the theory because of the 30 gram protein myth. Now i just try to eat 3 meals and eat some fruits like figs and mandarins and whatever is available throughout the day to curb hunger a bit.

Eating less will work every time (assuming no change in activity levels).

No.

In fact, your body may hoard the fat it already has.

And if you eat fewer calories overall but eat those fewer calories from, say, sugar, then you'll actually gain weight even if you're not insulin resistant. Now, why is that? The answer to that question leads to enlightenment.

Tropo, always come back to the same misconception, the ol' time religion. Motivational, I guess.

It's not the number of calories but what your body does with those calories.

http://garytaubes.com/2012/11/what-would-happen-if-thoughts-and-thought-experiments-on-the-calorie-issue/

The reason why the Paleo or Atkins diets are effective is because they tend to dull the appetite - which means eating less calories overall.

No. You read that one point somewhere and seized on it because it fits in with your own preconceptions. But that's only a part of the reason, and those diets will still work even if the appetite isn't dulled. Seen it work in the real world. Besides, if people are actually eating more calories, but have gone low carb so that few of the calories are from carbs, they still lose weight. There.

If a person is insulin resistant there is more reason to go low carb, but if a person has normal glucose tolerance, it won't matter much what they eat, as long as they eat less calories.

No. It's critical what every person eats. You need to read Good Calories, Bad Calories. Go in depth, not just read Muscle Mag articles that have a vested interest in the ol' "calories in/calories out," which has been working so well.

We've had this discussion before, so we'll just have to agree to disagree. FWIW I once thought as you did before--but I was wrong and the science is behind low carb for everyone. smile.png

Edited by JSixpack
  • Like 1

That is funny coming from you about bashing peoplewhistling.gif . Anyway I wasn't intentionally bashing just stating how it seemed to be.

I might be mistaken but I don't think he is a bodybuilder rather someone who is doing some exercise and trying to lose some weight but overeating or maybe eating the wrong types of food. Further he stated that he was eating six meals a day and some meals at night. That seems like it could be an eating disorder eating that often.

And even if you are training you have to do big sessions to really justify eating a lot and even taking protein shakes. Most amateur trainers probably don't even train hard enough to warrant protein shakes.

Edited by Tolley

No.

And if you eat fewer calories overall but eat those fewer calories from, say, sugar, then you'll actually gain weight even if you're not insulin resistant. Now, why is that? The answer to that question leads to enlightenment.

Tropo, always come back to the same misconception, the ol' time religion. Motivational, I guess.

http://garytaubes.com/2012/11/what-would-happen-if-thoughts-and-thought-experiments-on-the-calorie-issue/

>The reason why the Paleo or Atkins diets are effective is because they tend to dull the appetite - which means eating less calories overall.

No. You read that one point somewhere and seized on it because it fits in with your own preconceptions. But that's only a part of the reason, and those diets will still work even if the appetite isn't dulled. Seen it work in the real world. Besides, if people are actually eating more calories, but have gone low carb so that few of the calories are from carbs, they still lose weight. There.

If a person is insulin resistant there is more reason to go low carb, but if a person has normal glucose tolerance, it won't matter much what they eat, as long as they eat less calories.

No. It's critical what every person eats. You need to read Good Calories, Bad Calories. Go in depth, not just read Muscle Mag articles that have a vested interest in the ol' "calories in/calories out," which has been working so well.

We've had this discussion before, so we'll just have to agree to disagree. FWIW I once thought as you did before--but I was wrong and the science is behind low carb for everyone. smile.png

I don't believe in the calories in calories out theory. It is way too simplistic and doesn't take account of too many other factors.

But You don't necessarily have to go low carb to have a health body weight and body fat percentage as many people including myself have never been overweight yet do not eat a low carb diet. I think and some may disagree with me that it is better to stop eating dairy and limit red meat consumption and eat more nuts, seeds, beans, veggies, brown rice, lentils ,chicken and fish. Sugar, processed carbs, alcohol should be only taken rarely as a treat. If you followed that eating plan barring any systemic problems I doubt you would have any weight problems. I think eating like this is more sustainable that going too low carb as most people will have severe willpower issues with it.

However if you are overweight and haven't been able to shift it then generally speaking the low carb diet has got the best results.

No.

>>>The reason why the Paleo or Atkins diets are effective is because they tend to dull the appetite - which means eating less calories overall.

Wrong. It doesn't matter what you eat, if you eat less of it you'll lose fat.

You are confused about my statement. There was nothing about changing the proportions of carbs, protein or fats. Whatever you eat, eat less of it and you'll lose fat. That doesn't matter if most of your calories come from 10 litres of Coca Cola, 10 Big Macs or a gallon of ice cream. I also made no reference to which type of diet will result in the most rapid fat loss.

I've read your links and many others. (I don't get my information from bodybuilding magazines). There's lots of theories being sprouted around. None of these have me convinced that it's not calories in calories out.

Next thing you'll have us believe that if you eat 1 gram of carbohydrates you'll put on 10 grams of fat. Maybe "super starches" or some other magical foods with strange properties.

"you've seen it work in the real world"?

What you claim to have seen of people on specific diets is meaningless unless you can show an accurate tally of calories consumed and accurate measurements of body fat. They were merely subjective, meaningless observations. It's impossible to prove this unless they lived in a laboratory and every morsel of food was controlled and accurate 4 compartment body fat testing was undertaken. You would need a very large group of people too, all eating different types of foods... over a long period. This is unlikely to happen in the near future due to the difficulties and costs of conducting such experiments, so we can only theorize at present.

People can and do lose weight on many types of diets.

I can eat high carb or low carb and still maintain bodyfat levels. I lost 10kg of fat last year merely by eating less..... but I'm not going to use my own observations to prove a point because that is not acceptable science.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

That is funny coming from you about bashing peoplewhistling.gif . Anyway I wasn't intentionally bashing just stating how it seemed to be.

I might be mistaken but I don't think he is a bodybuilder rather someone who is doing some exercise and trying to lose some weight but overeating or maybe eating the wrong types of food. Further he stated that he was eating six meals a day and some meals at night. That seems like it could be an eating disorder eating that often.

And even if you are training you have to do big sessions to really justify eating a lot and even taking protein shakes. Most amateur trainers probably don't even train hard enough to warrant protein shakes.

He is a bodybuilder - a guy who is serious about putting on muscle.

Who needs to justify taking protein shakes? Everyone has their own eating plan. Protein shakes work very well for me. After bashing my body for 1.5 to 2 hours I need fast nourishment - eating a solid protein meal would not be optimal for me.

Here's some reasons:

Firstly, after training that hard I'm not hungry so I would have to force food down.

Secondly, it would take hours for the protein to digest and then be assimilated.

Thirdly, the protein shake provides me with more fluid than a regular meal - at least 500 ml.

Lastly, I enjoy it. It's a relaxing time. It's hard to concentrate on meal preparation after 2 hours of hard work because I leave my energy in the gym.

I actually like the small 6 meals per day approach to eating. As stated before, it's also good for maintaining steady blood sugar levels and easy on the digestive system.

Edited by tropo

I don't believe in the calories in calories out theory. It is way too simplistic and doesn't take account of too many other factors.

But You don't necessarily have to go low carb to have a health body weight and body fat percentage as many people including myself have never been overweight yet do not eat a low carb diet. I think and some may disagree with me that it is better to stop eating dairy and limit red meat consumption and eat more nuts, seeds, beans, veggies, brown rice, lentils ,chicken and fish. Sugar, processed carbs, alcohol should be only taken rarely as a treat. If you followed that eating plan barring any systemic problems I doubt you would have any weight problems. I think eating like this is more sustainable that going too low carb as most people will have severe willpower issues with it.

However if you are overweight and haven't been able to shift it then generally speaking the low carb diet has got the best results.

Jsixpack brought up the "calories in - calories" theory because he was confused by my statement.

Jsixpack stated emphatically that eating less will not result in weight loss. This is so obviously wrong that it shouldn't have required explanation.

I stated that if you eat less (of whatever you eat), you will lose fat.

I was not discussing which methods are the most effective or which diets are the healthiest.

As much breakfast as I can manage, usually Muesli home made, lots of coffee.

About three to four beers up to midday while I'm working, then something light but fatty (potato crisps today). Sleep.

More beer, then Kao pad gung or similar, followed by more beer.

I should mention that I work as much as I can on the house, heavy labour, I don't pay Thais to do the work and then pay for membership of a fitness club.

No health problems, down to 80Kg last time I looked, age 65.

I have to laugh at all the theories about diet that I have read about over the 60 years since I started to read, most people I see that are over weight eat like pigs, no sorry, they really shovel it down, and claim that they don't eat much. They don't 'exercise' (as in physical labour) much either.

Naughty posting I guess, apologies in advance.

As much breakfast as I can manage, usually Muesli home made, lots of coffee.

About three to four beers up to midday while I'm working, then something light but fatty (potato crisps today). Sleep.

More beer, then Kao pad gung or similar, followed by more beer.

I should mention that I work as much as I can on the house, heavy labour, I don't pay Thais to do the work and then pay for membership of a fitness club.

No health problems, down to 80Kg last time I looked, age 65.

I have to laugh at all the theories about diet that I have read about over the 60 years since I started to read, most people I see that are over weight eat like pigs, no sorry, they really shovel it down, and claim that they don't eat much. They don't 'exercise' (as in physical labour) much either.

Naughty posting I guess, apologies in advance.

I appreciate your candour.

"claim they don't eat much"....This highlights the difficulty of ascertaining what people who are "dieting" are actually eating in a day. Very few count calories and weigh their macronutrients. This is the reason why personal observation is usually meaningless. Even the "scientific studies" rely on personal accounts of what participants eat during the day and rely on their honesty.

You seem to be satisfied with your 80kg body weight. Body weight doesn't have a lot of meaning unless you have an idea of the fat percentage. 80kg would be emaciated for me and obese for others. LOL. I couldn't image what my 38kg wife would look like at 80kg.

Edited by tropo

... they seem to my eyes to be wolfing it down without it touching the sides and then they order a pudding. My BM index is perfectly ok. Until relatively recently, what I am eating would have been standard for a farm labourer.

Fat percentage? I use my body to work as much as I can and one or two other, nicer things, not much fat there I think.

... they seem to my eyes to be wolfing it down without it touching the sides and then they order a pudding. My BM index is perfectly ok. Until relatively recently, what I am eating would have been standard for a farm labourer.

Fat percentage? I use my body to work as much as I can and one or two other, nicer things, not much fat there I think.

Yes, fat percentage indeed? The BM index ignores muscle weight, so a muscular person could show as obese.

We don't really have a good way to test this easily. It's difficult to know how much visceral fat a person is carrying. Sub-cutaneous fat is pretty obvious in most cases. Abdominal girth measurements can give a clue to visceral fat accumulation.

Cut out sugar (including sweets and pops, and beer) from your diet. Concentrate on greens and meats as your staple foods. Try to limit starch (bread, potatoes, rice, etc.) - I shred up cabbage and use it as a sub for rice - works great!

I agree with this but would add- cut meat out, or at least animal. Plain chicken , fish OK and you'll lose,quite naturally,. Natural honey in 1 coffee is OK ,

Just don't eat processed foods, have a baked or boiled potato, smother it in plain yoghurt, or even a little butter, don't use margarine, limit oil but a little 1 table spoon one or twice a week is OK, olive esp is healthy and be wary of " diet foods" too processed. LIMIT alcohol , that's the fatty-upper. you can do cardio for 30 minutes and only burn the calories of a glass of wine

Mild cardio for 30 minutes everyday is the way to lose it fast , and keep it off. brisk walks etc, elliptical is optimal for non joint stress

When you do sit ups, always hold the muscle tight or what you'll train is a gut.

You should also not eat high sugar fruits, like watermelon, or juices. Drink soda water w lime it's delicious.

Edited by MacChine

I agree with this but would add- cut meat out, or at least animal. Plain chicken , fish OK and you'll lose,quite naturally,. Natural honey in 1 coffee is OK ,

Cut out sugar (including sweets and pops, and beer) from your diet. Concentrate on greens and meats as your staple foods. Try to limit starch (bread, potatoes, rice, etc.) - I shred up cabbage and use it as a sub for rice - works great!

Just don't eat processed foods, have a baked or boiled potato, smother it in plain yoghurt, or even a little butter, don't use margarine, limit oil but a little 1 table spoon one or twice a week is OK, olive esp is healthy and be wary of " diet foods" too processed. LIMIT alcohol , that's the fatty-upper. you can do cardio for 30 minutes and only burn the calories of a glass of wine

Mild cardio for 30 minutes everyday is the way to lose it fast , and keep it off. brisk walks etc, elliptical is optimal for non joint stress

When you do sit ups, always hold the muscle tight or what you'll train is a gut.

You should also not eat high sugar fruits, like watermelon, or juices. Drink soda water w lime it's delicious.

I think red meat is just as good as chicken or better. I would suggest the best way is to vary the type of meats you consume. i.e. one meal of chicken, another of beef, another of fish...

30 minutes to burn off a glass of wine?

127 calories in an average glass of wine.

My low intensity cardio can burn off the calories in half a litre of wine in 30 minutes (430 cal). I suppose if you walk slowly for 30 minutes you're not going to burn many calories, but you can't really call a slow walk "cardio" as the heart rate is unlikely to go much over resting unless you're very unfit.

Bananas, mangoes and other high sugar fruits are fine as long as they fit into your daily calorie intake goals and you don't have severe insulin resistance.

"When you do sit ups, always hold the muscle tight or what you'll train is a gut"

What do you mean "train a gut"?

You won't get a gut from doing situps no matter how you perform them. The gut comes from overeating which causes visceral and subcutaneous fat accumulation in the mid section.

Situps will not improve your midsection visually if you have a gut. When you have a gut situps are only useful to improve core strength in the mid-section and a few sets once or twice per week will be sufficient. You'll only start seeing abs when you get the sub-cutaneous fat down to 10% or below. This will vary a bit from person to person depending on the individual's pattern of fat deposition. Most fat people waste far too much time and energy on ab work due to believing these common exercise myths - energy they could put to better use doing other stuff.

• Like 1

Sugar is a bigger potential evil than just the calories it brings.

For many people who have poor digestion or low hydrochloric stomach acid it is a potential disaster. Many people as they get older suffer from low hydrochloric stomach acid but you don't have to be older to suffer from this condition.

The symptoms are similar to high acid with reflux and IBS, bloating etc common symptoms.

When you add sugar into a person with these problems and there are a lot of people suffering this which goes undiagnosed in many cases you get even more problems like candida and yeast overgrowth in the digestive tract. This leads to all sorts of health issues including things like malabsorption vit b deficiency, liver issues, osteoporosis, heart disease etc.

If you have ridges in your fingernails you may want to check out if you are suffering from low hydrochloric acid in your stomach.

All sounds good. I make myself a couple nor-cal margaritas on saturdays, the rest of the week no alcohol. Couple black espressos a day, and the rest of the time all I drink is either plain ole water or soda water with lime.

I have about 10 ozs a day of animal protein (beef, chicken, fish, pork). I use olive oil or macademia oil, but usually not to cook, but as a little bit or drizzle or in oil/vinegar dressing for a salad.

Sugar is a bigger potential evil than just the calories it brings.

For many people who have poor digestion or low hydrochloric stomach acid it is a potential disaster. Many people as they get older suffer from low hydrochloric stomach acid but you don't have to be older to suffer from this condition.

The symptoms are similar to high acid with reflux and IBS, bloating etc common symptoms.

When you add sugar into a person with these problems and there are a lot of people suffering this which goes undiagnosed in many cases you get even more problems like candida and yeast overgrowth in the digestive tract. This leads to all sorts of health issues including things like malabsorption vit b deficiency, liver issues, osteoporosis, heart disease etc.

If you have ridges in your fingernails you may want to check out if you are suffering from low hydrochloric acid in your stomach.

This is all rather depressing.....

Here's some good news for once. A thumbs up for red meatthumbsup.gif

"why red meat is good for you"

http://chriskresser.com/does-red-meat-cause-inflammation?inf_contact_key=69e3103a746635b463d7b43e6acdee8879b3b89095dfbe123175b84f946796d2