What To Eat To Lose Weight In Thailand?

MrHammer

Calories in - calories out is a much, much too simple way to approach weight loss. For example if you eat the same number of calories in proteins and carbs and do the exact same exercise, then you're going to use more energy simply because proteins are harder to digest.

And what about all the other things that effect your metabolism, like your colon health, your stomach? Plenty of food, like coffee and green tea increases metabolism.

Calories in and calories out is a much to simple way to approach weight loss.

It's all about a routine which you can keep year in and year out. For some, that may be eating les, for others it may mean spending more energy.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Calories in - calories out is a much, much too simple way to approach weight loss. For example if you eat the same number of calories in proteins and carbs and do the exact same exercise, then you're going to use more energy simply because proteins are harder to digest.

And what about all the other things that effect your metabolism, like your colon health, your stomach? Plenty of food, like coffee and green tea increases metabolism.

It's all about a routine which you can keep year in and year out. For some, that may be eating les, for others it may mean spending more energy.

Actually the basis still works and yes some stuff do influence but its nothing major.. 1% or so from green tea.

Weight loss is exactly that, and as simple as that. In order to lose weight (fat) you need to be calorie deficit. As you have said exactly, for some that may be eating less, for some it may mean spending more energy (calories are a unit of energy). If the average person only consumes 500 calories /day in the form of donuts, he will lose weight in exactly the same way as another person who consumes 500 calories of whey protein isolate. Increasing metabolism will enable you to burn more calories per day, but if you consume more calories than expended, then you will not lose weight. It is an inescapable biological fact.

• Like 1

Ever wondered why most Asians can eat all day and more and not get fat, yet you try do the same and pile it on?

No, I've never wondered about this because it's not true. If Asians eat too much they'll get fat even easier than their taller non-Asian counterparts.

Perhaps you're comparing older non-Asians (expats) to younger Asians?

Oops, sorry, I took away your high-glycemic-index carbs and didn't offer you any replacements! Sweet potatoes and yams are good...if you must have rice, go with what the Thais call "red rice" (no self-respecting Thai eats it, since it's what they feed prisoners and pigs, but it's great stuff, and you can find it in Villa, Tops, etc., even Lotus). You can find couscous in Villa Sukh soi 5. Unfortunately, millet and quinoa are probably unavailable in Thailand, I bring them for friends in BKK from the US!

The Foodland by my house has millet, quinoa, flax seed, etc. I would assume any other decent sized Foodland would stock it too.

Villa Market has all these too.

Edited by tropo

Sugar is a bigger potential evil than just the calories it brings.

For many people who have poor digestion or low hydrochloric stomach acid it is a potential disaster. Many people as they get older suffer from low hydrochloric stomach acid but you don't have to be older to suffer from this condition.

The symptoms are similar to high acid with reflux and IBS, bloating etc common symptoms.

When you add sugar into a person with these problems and there are a lot of people suffering this which goes undiagnosed in many cases you get even more problems like candida and yeast overgrowth in the digestive tract. This leads to all sorts of health issues including things like malabsorption vit b deficiency, liver issues, osteoporosis, heart disease etc.

If you have ridges in your fingernails you may want to check out if you are suffering from low hydrochloric acid in your stomach.

This is all rather depressing.....

Here's some good news for once. A thumbs up for red meat:thumbsup:

"why red meat is good for you"

http://chriskresser.com/does-red-meat-cause-inflammation?inf_contact_key=69e3103a746635b463d7b43e6acdee8879b3b89095dfbe123175b84f946796d2

Hold the phone on the red meat. A new study reported on the news today implicates red meat in increase in cancer. They isolated carnitine (spelling) as the culprit which is also in sports drinks I think and other supplements.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/04/08/new-health-worry-in-red-meat/

Ever wondered why most Asians can eat all day and more and not get fat, yet you try do the same and pile it on?

No, I've never wondered about this because it's not true. If Asians eat too much they'll get fat even easier than their taller non-Asian counterparts.

More comparing Expat to Asian (hat the word generally, but generally). They seem to have a more turbocharged metabolism vs the food intake they consume, not always healthy either. Maybe it's part of the eat less & eat more often routines that stop the hunger and keep the fire stoked?

More comparing Expat to Asian (hat the word generally, but generally). They seem to have a more turbocharged metabolism vs the food intake they consume, not always healthy either. Maybe it's part of the eat less & eat more often routines that stop the hunger and keep the fire stoked?

In general most expats are older lower metabolic rate and the girls they date younger higher metabolic rate.. that could explain it. But sure there are people with a fast metabolic rate and those with a slow one.

just read an article that's blown my "Asian's are thinner" point out of the water...

http://www.bangkokpost.com/lifestyle/interview/344558/the-biggest-winners

basically they are older Thais and they get slower metabolic rate too.. anyway I don't believe in magic things.. just in cutting out most sugar and refined carbs. Working out and find the amount of food that suits you.

Hold the phone on the red meat. A new study reported on the news today implicates red meat in increase in cancer. They isolated carnitine (spelling) as the culprit which is also in sports drinks I think and other supplements.

Just about everything is implicated in cancer. The problem is that people with cancer eat dozens of things which are implicated. To be honest, I get sick of hearing about them all.

just read an article that's blown my "Asian's are thinner" point out of the water...

http://www.bangkokpost.com/lifestyle/interview/344558/the-biggest-winners

basically they are older Thais and they get slower metabolic rate too.. anyway I don't believe in magic things.. just in cutting out most sugar and refined carbs. Working out and find the amount of food that suits you.

Bangkokpoppys mentioned "Asians". In the Philippines they get fat very easily - as easily or easier than non-Asians.

Edited by tropo

I will say one thing about Thais, they are so uninformed about matters of health and exercise that when they do get overweight they're not coming back easily. I see Thais performing cardio at the gym in plastic sweat suits - thinking they're going to sweat themselves into shape.

It's just not a health conscious society and their understanding of health and nutrition is still in the dark ages. Check out the health products they sell in the pharmacies - stuff that wouldn't even be allowed on the shelves in Australia or the US. Boxes of crap packed in bright coloured boxes with pretty pictures and ridiculous claims on every label. It makes it a bit more difficult for us to stay healthy here too.

It's not like everyone back at home has got it wired, but the knowledge and products are available if you care to seek them out.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

I will say one thing about Thais, they are so uninformed about matters of health and exercise that when they do get overweight they're not coming back easily. I see Thais performing cardio at the gym in plastic sweat suits - thinking they're going to sweat themselves into shape.

It's just not a health conscious society and their understanding of health and nutrition is still in the dark ages. Check out the health products they sell in the pharmacies - stuff that wouldn't even be allowed on the shelves in Australia or the US. Boxes of crap packed in bright coloured boxes with pretty pictures and ridiculous claims on every label. It makes it a bit more difficult for us to stay healthy here too.

It's not like everyone back at home has got it wired, but the knowledge and products are available if you care to seek them out.

I really agree with that assessment as I have talked to many Thais about weight loss and exercise its not common knowledge here. Then again back home there are some people too who have not got a clue, but here its a bigger part of the population.

Just about everything is implicated in cancer. The problem is that people with cancer eat dozens of things which are implicated. To be honest, I get sick of hearing about them all.

Be careful too much worrying and hearing about cancer has been implicated in getting it. biggrin.png

• Like 1

That is not true at all. There are vast numbers of foods that have never ever been found to be cancer causing or a health issue.

But what is true is that quite a lot of studies have implicated red meat as a source of possible cancer and heart disease.

You are so right about Thai, but now about US shelves: lots of shxt there also...

That is not true at all. There are vast numbers of foods that have never ever been found to be cancer causing or a health issue.

But what is true is that quite a lot of studies have implicated red meat as a source of possible cancer and heart disease.

"just about everything" was hyperbole, to make a point that a large number of foods and additives, impurities etc have been implicated.

The average person would find it very difficult to not eat something on the list. I'm sure you eat something on that list too despite your efforts to eat a perfect diet.

You are so right about Thai, but now about US shelves: lots of shxt there also...

Yes, but there's also a huge health conscious population with knowledge. You have amazing choices.

• Like 1

"just about everything" was hyperbole, to make a point that a large number of foods and additives, impurities etc have been implicated.

The average person would find it very difficult to not eat something on the list. I'm sure you eat something on that list too despite your efforts to eat a perfect diet.

I am far from perfect. I try to listen to my body and eat what is good for me. Having said that where there is a lot of research that points to potential health issues I take heed and err on the side of caution.

Red meat and dairy (except good yogurt) have long been known to cause health problems in many people. I believe it is only prudent to limit consumption of these foods.

Yes, like buffalos feeding on grass you'd have to feed 24/7 since grass has practically no nutrition,

unlike lions that feast on meat 1/7 and sleep 23/7

I like that analogy and speaking of feasting, I am on day 3 of my Warrior Diet and no problems so far.

I only eat between 20-24 every night. It actually hasn't been much of a problem. I had some cashew nuts that is all, but the hunger that you're used to when eating lots of carbs just isn't there. I find that once you accept that you're not going to eat for a while, your body stops craving food all the time and you actually become more alert. None of that afternoon lazyness.

Also managed to get in 25 km in 45 minutes on the bike. Will weigh myself next monday.

Yes, like buffalos feeding on grass you'd have to feed 24/7 since grass has practically no nutrition,

I like that analogy and speaking of feasting, I am on day 3 of my Warrior Diet and no problems so far.

I only eat between 20-24 every night. It actually hasn't been much of a problem. I had some cashew nuts that is all, but the hunger that you're used to when eating lots of carbs just isn't there. I find that once you accept that you're not going to eat for a while, your body stops craving food all the time and you actually become more alert. None of that afternoon lazyness.

Also managed to get in 25 km in 45 minutes on the bike. Will weigh myself next monday.

There's a common belief that exercise increases the appetite. I find the opposite to be true. On days that I exercise I eat less and the harder I push myself the less I eat. It can be a real struggle to get the correct number of calories on some days. I'm sure this is why I can easily keep my fat levels low despite not being strict about food intake.

Cashew nuts (raw) - that's the way to suppress the appetite. I have them available 24/7.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

There's a common belief that exercise increases the appetite. I find the opposite to be true. On days that I exercise I eat less and the harder I push myself the less I eat. It can be a real struggle to get the correct number of calories on some days. I'm sure this is why I can easily keep my fat levels low despite not being strict about food intake.

Cashew nuts (raw) - that's the way to suppress the appetite. I have them available 24/7.

But they are real caloric dense ? normally nuts are something like 400cals for 100grams. How much do you consume.

When I play squash I am completely exhausted and dont eat much for the next 24 hours. If i do weights I tend to eat quite a lot a couple of hours after.

For nuts I recommend almonds even thou cashews are lower in fat and have lots of benefits nutritionally they tend to collect mould quite easily so in some people that can be a problem.

But they are real caloric dense ? normally nuts are something like 400cals for 100grams. How much do you consume.

Yes, they are calorie dense, but you only need a handful to keep you satisfied for hours.