Health Warning To Fellow Farangs!

pomozki

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Again, I'm confronted by folk who seem to want to live forever. I dont want to spend my final hours on a machine, but nor am I going to let the diet Nazis stop me eating the things I like - unless I suddenly turn into<em> Elvis circa 1972</em>, of course ........</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I look at Thais standing around in the hot sun selling chicken on a stick, and think 'God, what I wouldnt give to be that tough !'. I guess they figure it beats the hell out of squatting in a ricefield in 35 deg C : men, women and children. Born tough, IMO - a little saturated fat is the least of their worries.</p>

I really like beer. I always thought I'd rather die than not drink beer. If the doctor had said I'd have a heart attack and die if I kept on drinking beer I think I'd have chanced it. But he didn't. He said I would have a stroke and be a vegetable in Thailand. I don't think I am tough enough to be a Thai vegetable. So after the first stroke I stopped drinking beer.

I love those people who think that if you neglect your body nothing is going to happen, its like not testing for AIDS because then you don't have it.

Anyway strike a good balance but is ee far to many foreigners so obese and looking unhealthy drinking and drinking. Its the party lifestyle here and no need to keep in shape as you can always rent a girl telling you you look great. Guess what its not about how you look, though for me it counts, but more how healthy and fit you are.

Like others said I dont't worry about dropping dead.. that is a good way to go but vegetating is.

It is easier to ignore it all and party, instead of eating realtively healthy and working out a bit.

Just think 80% 20% rule be healthy 80% of the time the other 20% does not matter so much anymore then.

There has been many studies over the years why some countries people live longer and I am always interested in there findings now I can't remember all the countries but I can say they are not in western world and the common denominator among them all was fruit and vegetables ,fish ,active life style , not thinking about retirement they all just seem to carry on on saying that they had no exposure to Mac's or fast food joints or bar culture just almost a village life walking where they need to go not many gym's too be seen I mean how fit does a 70+ have to be.

I drink a little I smoke a few small cigars I try to eat healthy I

am 70 and feel fit and I don't put on weight but I will maybe regret it all later but my thinking is I enjoy my bad habits and so far so good.

Though I would agree that the lifestyle you identify is benificial, I am not sure the stats back up your claim about longevity. Switzerland ranks number 2 (after Japan) and there are several other western countries in the top 10 including Sweden, Italy and France which has a retirement age of 62.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_life_expectancy

OK maybe my post was a bit unclear on what I have read and seen on TV not so much about stats they looked at various pocket's of countries where the locals just lived longer I remember parts of Japan where inc and maybe even Russia of course most of us know if you are born and bred in a dirty industrial part of countries your life expectancy is lower than someone in the fresh air my post was backing the idea to try and have a healthy lifestyle we know there is no guarantee that it works for everyone some people have a stronger constitution than others and seem to get away with self abuse and still live to a ripe old age my family where some of them i recall in the 60/70s there was Dr Barbara Moore she was a fit vegetarian who walked the length and breath of the UK and was a big voice for veggies and keeping fit she died at the age of 74 all the women in my family out lived her by 10 years and they where all born in the Glasgow slums like myself mind you there was no fast food and massive supermarkets

So there you go

Edited by jocko

Here's a thought, don't eat rice for dinner. Its ok for lunch or even brekky but eating it for dinner will make you fat.

Its just tapering it down you can handle and burn your carbs much better if you start eating them in the morning. Though it all depends on activity levels and such its a general advice here. Can be different for anyone.

I for one had some blood tests done and it was found even though i was still in the safe sone i could end up diabetic in 10 years if i went on like that. Small changes in my diet made major change, just check if you can handle your carbs well. I also found out that my healthy oats can damage too if too much is taken at 1 sitting. How much too much is differs from person to person but some blood sugar test can help a lot to identify a problem.

I am surprised no one has mentioned that lowering triclycerides is quite easy with fish oil.

Plenty of evidence supporting this out there and I myself have been taking fish oil for over 25 years.

My last blood test was .9 i think for triclycerides.

As for Thai street food it is generally full of sodium,sugar, bad oils and fatty meats with rice white ie a recipe for disaster

No problems thou you can go to Tops or BIg C etc and buy barbecue chicken or fish and brown rice and grab a salad from teh salad bar which is easy and cheap and healthy.

• Like 1

Wow, so many replies. Seems to me 2 conclusions:

1) get rich so you only get to eat in posh places

2) get a kitchen cos nobody here trusts eating out in Thailand anyway

1) Forget it. Posh places are as bad or worse

2) Yes, cooking at home is the best solution. It's hard work finding Thai food that isn't detrimental one way or the other.

You'll hear a lot of nonsense here, but CobraSnakeNecktie earlier gave you the solution: low carb. Google it, study it. It works and the science is behind it. No rice, noodles, muesli, oatmeal, bread, or sugar in any form (means fruits are suspect as well). Meat, fat, and veggies are what you eat. You suffer carb withdrawal for 2 weeks and then you're fine. And it's really not so bad! Then say goodbye to the high triglycerides.

I am surprised no one has mentioned that lowering triclycerides is quite easy with fish oil.

Plenty of evidence supporting this out there and I myself have been taking fish oil for over 25 years.

As for Thai street food it is generally full of sodium,sugar, bad oils and fatty meats with rice white ie a recipe for disaster

No problems thou you can go to Tops or BIg C etc and buy barbecue chicken or fish and brown rice and grab a salad from teh salad bar which is easy and cheap and healthy.

I did some reading on this and Fish oil is super legit for lowering triglycerides.

I was not aware of that. Thanks!

<p>Again, I'm confronted by folk who seem to want to live forever. I dont want to spend my final hours on a machine, but nor am I going to let the diet Nazis stop me eating the things I like - unless I suddenly turn into<em> Elvis circa 1972</em>, of course ........</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I look at Thais standing around in the hot sun selling chicken on a stick, and think 'God, what I wouldnt give to be that tough !'. I guess they figure it beats the hell out of squatting in a ricefield in 35 deg C : men, women and children.  Born tough, IMO - a little saturated fat is the least of their worries.</p>

you're completely missing the point - it isn't an eternal life I'm after, it's a high quality of life - always been very healthy and want to stay that way

I just had to go Vegan as my wife has just converted ... makes eating out a little difficult ... I'll miss the odd KFC and McD plus all that nice fried fish/chicken etc. I wonder how different I'll feel in a few weeks time ... hopefully I'll still be here and will let you know if I feel better or worst!!

<p> </p>

<p>I look at Thais standing around in the hot sun selling chicken on a stick, and think 'God, what I wouldnt give to be that tough !'. I guess they figure it beats the hell out of squatting in a ricefield in 35 deg C : men, women and children. Born tough, IMO - a little saturated fat is the least of their worries.</p>

I really like beer. I always thought I'd rather die than not drink beer. If the doctor had said I'd have a heart attack and die if I kept on drinking beer I think I'd have chanced it. But he didn't. He said I would have a stroke and be a vegetable in Thailand. I don't think I am tough enough to be a Thai vegetable. So after the first stroke I stopped drinking beer.

I love those people who think that if you neglect your body nothing is going to happen, its like not testing for AIDS because then you don't have it.

Anyway strike a good balance but is ee far to many foreigners so obese and looking unhealthy drinking and drinking. Its the party lifestyle here and no need to keep in shape as you can always rent a girl telling you you look great. Guess what its not about how you look, though for me it counts, but more how healthy and fit you are.

Like others said I dont't worry about dropping dead.. that is a good way to go but vegetating is.

It is easier to ignore it all and party, instead of eating realtively healthy and working out a bit.

Just think 80% 20% rule be healthy 80% of the time the other 20% does not matter so much anymore then.

There has been many studies over the years why some countries people live longer and I am always interested in there findings now I can't remember all the countries but I can say they are not in western world and the common denominator among them all was fruit and vegetables ,fish ,active life style , not thinking about retirement they all just seem to carry on on saying that they had no exposure to Mac's or fast food joints or bar culture just almost a village life walking where they need to go not many gym's too be seen I mean how fit does a 70+ have to be.

am 70 and feel fit and I don't put on weight but I will maybe regret it all later but my thinking is I enjoy my bad habits and so far so good.

Though I would agree that the lifestyle you identify is benificial, I am not sure the stats back up your claim about longevity. Switzerland ranks number 2 (after Japan) and there are several other western countries in the top 10 including Sweden, Italy and France which has a retirement age of 62.

OK maybe my post was a bit unclear on what I have read and seen on TV not so much about stats they looked at various pocket's of countries where the locals just lived longer I remember parts of Japan where inc and maybe even Russia of course most of us know if you are born and bred in a dirty industrial part of countries your life expectancy is lower than someone in the fresh air my post was backing the idea to try and have a healthy lifestyle we know there is no guarantee that it works for everyone some people have a stronger constitution than others and seem to get away with self abuse and still live to a ripe old age my family where some of them i recall in the 60/70s there was Dr Barbara Moore she was a fit vegetarian who walked the length and breath of the UK and was a big voice for veggies and keeping fit she died at the age of 74 all the women in my family out lived her by 10 years and they where all born in the Glasgow slums like myself mind you there was no fast food and massive supermarkets

So there you go

hey Jocko, what's wrong with massive supermarkets? they just have massive amounts of food, that's all

I've been taking fish oil capsules for many years but not even that could keep everything else good after 18 months in Thailand

The amount of salt, sugar and msg added to Thai food is crazy. I now stick to meat, veggies and fruit. No processed foods and no starches. (That eliminates most foods in the supermarket). Keeps the weight down and don't get food comas.

It's already been said but cook at home and do it using Extra Virgin Olive Oil,which is free from cholesterol.Take regular walks,it's a very simple formula,if you burn more calories than you eat you lose weight.If you don't you gain weight.

It's just very difficult to strike a balance,that's the problem!

Rather than olive oil, I use rice bran oil which is fairly cheap here.

But you realise that with 25g of saturated fat per 100g , that rice bran oil has the highest level of ALL cooking oils available.

Olive oil has 14g while sunflower oil has 11g.

Edited by jbrain

The amount of salt, sugar and msg added to Thai food is crazy. I now stick to meat, veggies and fruit. No processed foods and no starches. (That eliminates most foods in the supermarket). Keeps the weight down and don't get food comas.

It's already been said but cook at home and do it using Extra Virgin Olive Oil,which is free from cholesterol.Take regular walks,it's a very simple formula,if you burn more calories than you eat you lose weight.If you don't you gain weight.

It's just very difficult to strike a balance,that's the problem!

But you realise that with 25g of saturated fat per 100g , that rice bran oil has the highest level of ALL cooking oils available.

There seems to be quite a bit of info about on rice bran oil and, while trying to avoid those with an agenda, it appears the general advice is it is preferable over olive oil for cooking due to it not breaking down as easily at high temperatures. Olive oil is better for low to medium temperature cooking.

I've been taking fish oil capsules for many years but not even that could keep everything else good after 18 months in Thailand

How many capsules were you taking a day?

If you have a problem you probably need 9 1000mg capsules a day. One or two caps a day is not enough in any case. You could also consider getting the liquid form as it has much greater concentration.or if you dont like fish oil use flaxseed oil as I think that is just as good.

If you have a problem you probably need 9 1000mg capsules a day. One or two caps a day is not enough in any case. You could also consider getting the liquid form as it has much greater concentration.or if you dont like fish oil use flaxseed oil as I think that is just as good.

I have been taking fish oil (in 9 or more caps a day) and flax seed oil around 10-15ml a day for ages. I just incorperate some healthy stuff like that in my diet same like kefir and some multivitamin. Its not that expensive if you know where to shop and i just think if it does not help it probably does not damage either so I can only benefit. Except my wallet if it does not do a thing. But so far except for my sinus i have been as healthy as a horse.

yes, I was on 2 caps a day, now 1 x 1200mg cap - I'll wait till the Simvastatins have finished and maybe up the fish oil then - but it can get quite expensive to take several a day

I have been taking fish oil (in 9 or more caps a day) and flax seed oil around 10-15ml a day for ages. I just incorperate some healthy stuff like that in my diet same like kefir and some multivitamin. Its not that expensive if you know where to shop and i just think if it does not help it probably does not damage either so I can only benefit. Except my wallet if it does not do a thing. But so far except for my sinus i have been as healthy as a horse.

can you recommend a good cheap place for things like fish oil, multivits and glucosamine? I live in Khon Kaen - but occasionally go to Bkk too

can you recommend a good cheap place for things like fish oil, multivits and glucosamine? I live in Khon Kaen - but occasionally go to Bkk too

Sorry to sound bad but EBAY is where i get all that stuff. I pay 1200-1300bt incl shipping for 900 !! capsules of fish oil, vitamins you can get blackmores at any pharmacy and glucosamine i bought on ebay too.. if you buy from UK located businesses it goes quite fast and shipment is cheap. The fish oil i buy is from US based takes a bit more time but that was the best deal.

Sorry to sound bad but EBAY is where i get all that stuff. I pay 1200-1300bt incl shipping for 900 !! capsules of fish oil, vitamins you can get blackmores at any pharmacy and glucosamine i bought on ebay too.. if you buy from UK located businesses it goes quite fast and shipment is cheap. The fish oil i buy is from US based takes a bit more time but that was the best deal.

thanks - and I've got nothing against eBay if the stuff is good

Not too many of them in England these days...

• Like 1

There seems to be quite a bit of info about on rice bran oil and, while trying to avoid those with an agenda, it appears the general advice is it is preferable over olive oil for cooking due to it not breaking down as easily at high temperatures. Olive oil is better for low to medium temperature cooking.

This should answer your questions.

post-163350-0-09383800-1363157451_thumb.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunflower_oil#cite_note-chef-8

This should answer your questions.

attachicon.gifOil.JPG

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunflower_oil#cite_note-chef-8

Canola oil and grapeseed oil and the ones usually recommended for stir frying but olive oil extra virgin light is still preferably to many other types of oil even thou it is not so good at high temperatures.

have been taking fish oil (in 9 or more caps a day) and flax seed oil around 10-15ml a day for ages. I just incorperate some healthy stuff like that in my diet same like kefir and some multivitamin. Its not that expensive if you know where to shop and i just think if it does not help it probably does not damage either so I can only benefit. Except my wallet if it does not do a thing. But so far except for my sinus i have been as healthy as a horse.

Not too many of them in England these days...

Good to see that horse is the healthy option, though. I'll be back to Tesco at the weekend

• Like 2

<p> </p>

So there you go

hey Jocko, what's wrong with massive supermarkets? they just have massive amounts of food, that's all

Nothing at all wrong I was making the point that in days gone by most people shopped at there local shop Dairy, Butcher, Fruit and veg shop in other words fresh produce as against modern times where you can't trust what you buy (Horsemeat pretending to be beef) of course some of us are more careful but.

The modern mum who can't cook( Normal these days) and is on a budget up to now they are buying shit food.

I am in the UK a good part of the year and as I am standing at the check out in the supermarket I can't help looking at the baskets around me and the people pushing them trust me you can see the connection

Sad but true

Edited by jocko

Fk that shit dont eat this don't eat that excercise yada yada yada I really dont care I see super fit people dropping down dead on footbal fields my gran smoked like a trooper ate bacon and eggs every day and lived to a rip old age of 83 my Dad smokes like a trooper drinks every single day eats a good english diet and for as long as I can remember and is 70 years old, I really think if you worry about what to eat you wont be able to eat or do anything cant drink etc etc whats the point life is for living not worrying about what your eating every minute and you are a prime example, your trying hard and you still found out your not healthy

If your time is up mate its up no matter how it is coming and for me I am going to enjoy every day eat what I like and if I peg it so be it I have had a great life and i don't have to eat like a rabbit

Im off to MCDonalds for Big Mac and Fries

btw, it would help if you read what I'd posted - I never said I wasn't healthy. I'm just interested in staying healthy. For every story "my gran ate rubbish and smoked like a chimney and lived till 90" there are millions of people conking out before their time for that very reason, so please respect the fact we don't all think like you and that doesn't make you any cleverer than the rest of us.

While I think i understand DK's point, I don't think he gives enough attention to debilitating strokes as opposed to death. Death doesn't have me nervously sitting on the edge of my chair but a major stroke is simply no fun at all. A victim of such a stroke is likely to find little fun in life.

If anything, I fall mostly in DL's approach in the long run.

Fk that shit dont eat this don't eat that excercise yada yada yada I really dont care I see super fit people dropping down dead on footbal fields my gran smoked like a trooper ate bacon and eggs every day and lived to a rip old age of 83 my Dad smokes like a trooper drinks every single day eats a good english diet and for as long as I can remember and is 70 years old, I really think if you worry about what to eat you wont be able to eat or do anything cant drink etc etc whats the point life is for living not worrying about what your eating every minute and you are a prime example, your trying hard and you still found out your not healthy

If your time is up mate its up no matter how it is coming and for me I am going to enjoy every day eat what I like and if I peg it so be it I have had a great life and i don't have to eat like a rabbit

Im off to MCDonalds for Big Mac and Fries

btw, it would help if you read what I'd posted - I never said I wasn't healthy. I'm just interested in staying healthy. For every story "my gran ate rubbish and smoked like a chimney and lived till 90" there are millions of people conking out before their time for that very reason, so please respect the fact we don't all think like you and that doesn't make you any cleverer than the rest of us.

While I think i understand DK's point, I don't think he gives enough attention to debilitating strokes as opposed to death. Death doesn't have me nervously sitting on the edge of my chair but a major stroke is simply no fun at all. A victim of such a stroke is likely to find little fun in life.

If anything, I fall mostly in DL's approach in the long run.

That and a host of other bad scenarios.

I have seen some pretty awful things unfold as a result of carelessness by farang in Thailand who assumed that they would just risk dropping dead...but then things went off script leading not only to things no one would want for themselves but also to unfair burdens on others

Paralysis....

Brain damage....

Vegetative states...

massive hospital bills......

family members tracked down back home even distant ones/ones who hadn't seen them i nyears, and pressured to pay up......