Good Deal On New Lg 50In Tv

chris2004

Yeah right, they stack the lcd's 10 high at Numchai laugh.png Ever heard that there are glass panels in an lcd tv?

You dont seem to know anything about warehouse storage and flat panels. Do some research and you will find that I am correct.

That material you refer to as glass in an LCD is in fact plastic and as such can be stacked flat, often up to 10 high per palette. It is not fragile at all. Plasmas on the other hand have a glass layer that must be stored and transported (nearly) upright, and is much more fragile. This is why manufacturers and stores prefer LCD/LED/OLED over plasma, and this is why plasma production is ceasing.

Oh dear, do you know when they will stop making Plasma tv's ?

Most of the big companies are still making them. They'll be around for a long while yet.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only way this TV is a good deal is if you will only want a big screen to watch cable TV, don't care for 3D and 1080p content, will seat at least 3m away, don't care for the extra weight and depth, don't care for the higher power consumption and you will always watch in a dark room.

The 50" plasma in the boy's bedroom will after playing for 3-4 hours raise the temperature in the room by approximate 1 degree celcius. This is with aircon off and only using fan at the lowest speed.

You did check the temperature difference on a digital thermometer with a decimal point, right?

Room temperatures fluctuate whether TVs are on or off. Day temperatures slowly increase and night time temperatures slowly decrease. There's no way to determine if a TV has increased the temperature of a room over a 3-4 hour period because there are far too many variables.

Yes there is a digital thermometer fixed mounted in his bedroom with a inside and outside sensor.

So when the windows are open and the inside temperature is less than 2 degrees higher than the outside temperature, than i think the temperature increase of the plasma panel is negligible.

Of course it will heat the room negligibly, but my point was that the extent of heating could never be determined. If you were using an LED in the room there would also be heating, so the relative difference a plasma would make would be even less.

Yeah right, they stack the lcd's 10 high at Numchai laugh.png Ever heard that there are glass panels in an lcd tv?

You dont seem to know anything about warehouse storage and flat panels. Do some research and you will find that I am correct.

That material you refer to as glass in an LCD is in fact plastic and as such can be stacked flat, often up to 10 high per palette. It is not fragile at all. Plasmas on the other hand have a glass layer that must be stored and transported (nearly) upright, and is much more fragile. This is why manufacturers and stores prefer LCD/LED/OLED over plasma, and this is why plasma production is ceasing.

Oh dear, do you know when they will stop making Plasma tv's ?

Most of the big companies are still making them. They'll be around for a long while yet.

The companies are still making but they cut all the R&D budget to support other technologies like OLED. They will be around for a while but will not improve like the LCD and OLED models. They will be cheaper but outdated.

The 50" plasma in the boy's bedroom will after playing for 3-4 hours raise the temperature in the room by approximate 1 degree celcius. This is with aircon off and only using fan at the lowest speed.

You did check the temperature difference on a digital thermometer with a decimal point, right?

Room temperatures fluctuate whether TVs are on or off. Day temperatures slowly increase and night time temperatures slowly decrease. There's no way to determine if a TV has increased the temperature of a room over a 3-4 hour period because there are far too many variables.

Yes there is a digital thermometer fixed mounted in his bedroom with a inside and outside sensor.

So when the windows are open and the inside temperature is less than 2 degrees higher than the outside temperature, than i think the temperature increase of the plasma panel is negligible.

Of course it will heat the room negligibly, but my point was that the extent of heating could never be determined. If you were using an LED in the room there would also be heating, so the relative difference a plasma would make would be even less.

That was also my point in mentioning the slight temeperature increase. To counter the statement from another member that a plasma is an alternative for stove.

The companies are still making but they cut all the R&D budget to support other technologies like OLED. They will be around for a while but will not improve like the LCD and OLED models. They will be cheaper but outdated.

Which is irrelevant for 99% of buyers. Who uses all the features of an updated smart TV? Who can tell the difference between 720p and 1080p?

I'll tell you one thing, you won't find any current models with the same sound quality as my 2006 Panasonic plasma. It's like a dedicated stereo system. A big heavy box does have some advantages.

You may be correct about that. Fact is that Plasma at this point has the best picture available in panels in the affordable price class, not really a need for improvements on that point.

It's quite a lot to pay for a 50" heat radiator in the room...

I agree. They get very very hot and also cost way more to run then an LED.

Yes they do get hot and use more electricity but as they cost about 20,000 Baht less than the LED versions it takes a long time to get back the extra outlay. Something like 7 years at 10 hours a day and I for one watch nothing like that much TV.

I did a cost analysis with real TV's and numbers. You'll never recoup the additional expense of an LED LCD TV by electricity saved - it's impossible.... not even close. That's merely a marketing gimmick that everyone seems to fall for. The newer plasmas are using a lot less power than the older models.

less power consumed + less heat generated = longer life + less air cond required.

then there is the fact that the tv the op is talking about is only 720 and has a reduced viewing angle so not really a bargain

Edited by candypants

You may be correct about that. Fact is that Plasma at this point has the best picture available in panels in the affordable price class, not really a need for improvements on that point.

I agree, and I am happy I only spend 25K bath so I can buy a new in 5 years time without watering my eyes too much.

In 5 years you can most likely buy a TV that can cook your food and give you a massage while watching your favorite programwink.png

• Like 1

less power consumed + less heat generated = longer life + less air cond required.

then there is the fact that the tv the op is talking about is only 720 and has a reduced viewing angle so not really a bargain

I wish I'd kept my calculations to show you. The difference is insignificant. No one would keep a new LED TV long enough to make up for the difference in electricity usage. Most TV's wouldn't even last that long in this hot tropical environment.

I agree, and I am happy I only spend 25K bath so I can buy a new in 5 years time without watering my eyes too much.

In 5 years you can most likely buy a TV that can cook your food and give you a massage while watching your favorite programwink.png

If it includes happy endings, I'm in for such a TV.biggrin.png

By the way, the latest Thaivisa software update is a real gem if it comes to replying to a post. NOT?

• Like 1

Many companies have stopped making them. Just a few remain and, above all, nearly all the factories that make the actual panels have shut down. As far as I know only two remain.

So production is destined to decrease and then end. Don't get me wrong; I prefer the picture on plasma versus LCD/LED also, but that wont halt the decline. Luckily OLED is coming along to replace them all. My next TV will be a big OLED, no doubt about it.

Excuse me, but Plasma has a significant BETTER viewing angle than Lcd or Led.

The lifespan of a Plasma and Lcd is 100.000 Hours or an average of 45 years watching tv.

Sure, manufacturers switch to a lower quality picture and far more expensive alternative because they can stack them higher.

Yes, actually. That, and the much lower failure rate in manufacturing.

By the way the reason that plasma's can't be laid horizontal is because the panel exists of many small tubes, so a panel can get damaged from only it's own weight.

That's just one reason and not the main one. When did you last see window glass being transported horizontally? Never, of course. It's always upright. LCD panels can be tossed around every which way and nothing will happen to them.

Many companies have stopped making them. Just a few remain and, above all, nearly all the factories that make the actual panels have shut down. As far as I know only two remain.

So production is destined to decrease and then end. Don't get me wrong; I prefer the picture on plasma versus LCD/LED also, but that wont halt the decline. Luckily OLED is coming along to replace them all. My next TV will be a big OLED, no doubt about it.

Samsung is a big player in TV's. They are still making low budget, big plasma TV's. I bought one recently over in the Philippines. It's upsetting how much more they cost over there than here.

Samsung is a big player in TV's. They are still making low budget, big plasma TV's. I bought one recently over in the Philippines. It's upsetting how much more they cost over there than here.

Flat panels are also more expensive in Europe compared to here.

Edited by jbrain

Stop making them isn't the same as stop selling them isn't it.

So far only 2 companies have stopped selling plasma and that is Sony, who actually never produced plasma's as they ordered them from Samsung, and Pioneer.

The latter one has never focused very much on flat panels, however their plasma is really the top of the range in quality as well as price.

Strange enough you can still buy new pioneer plama however they stopped a few years ago.

Flat panels are also more expensive in Europe compared to here.

The Indians also buy a lot of TV's here, seen them in Pattaya and in the airport dragging big boxes around, mostly in the 40-46" sizes.

I read somewhere that the savings on a TV bought here can pay the airfare India/Thailand return, so not all electronics are expensive here.

Above 42" anything below 1080p is out of question, and Plasma TV with this resolution were unavailable until most recently. Yeah Sophon still is ancient NTSC, but I can suck lots of HDTV from the internet.

Seems the differences in energy consumption are greater than stated above, and there is also the weight issue of Plasma TV if it's considered to put it on a wall. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2387377,00.asp

Do you even know what you’re talking about?

There is no such thing as NTSC in Thailand, maybe where you’re from, but it’s a substandard… Look up PAL and you might get a clue…

Additionally if you’re talking about cable TV in general, you can’t beat a plasma for clarity compared to an LCD, LED, OLED... display, whether it be Sophon or any other cable TV source.

I’ve had my Panasonic 42” plasma for about-5 years, (is that considered most recently?) and it’s a 1080p display.

LED backlit are widely available in Pattaya and have been for a while: Lotus, Big C Extra, PowerBuy, Numchai, etc. Pretty well everywhere except Makro which only has a very limited selection.

LG 55" 55LM9600 This is the CHEAPEST backlit Led from LG available in Thailand at 139.900 Baht. I have never seen any of these around at any Big C or Tesco. Maybe Numchai but not sure.

The only way this TV is a good deal is if <snip> you will always watch in a dark room.

Huh?

I'm slowly being convinced to get one of these.

Lucky for me because my rooms are always quite dark... it will save me spending 100k on a TV.laugh.png

Seriously though, why would anyone want to pay more than max 25 - 30k on a TV when technology is advancing so rapidly and prices are coming down so quickly?

• Like 1

Seriously though, why would anyone want to pay more than max 25 - 30k on a TV when technology is advancing so rapidly and prices are coming down so quickly?

Mine cost 60K+ about a year ago. The price of any equivalent model hasnt dropped much since then. Maybe 10% at most. There are no new features on newer models that are worth having.

I'm not aware that the technology has changed at all for the last few years, apart from the introduction of OLED which isn't at all common yet. Oh, and 3-D which I detest totally.

My next TV will be an OLED and I dont care if it costs me a small fortune. But I wont buy it until my current LED breaks down with no economical hope of repair. As it has 4 more years of warranty left I'm not too bothered.

Mine cost 60K+ about a year ago. The price of any equivalent model hasnt dropped much since then. Maybe 10% at most. There are no new features on newer models that are worth having.

I'm not aware that the technology has changed at all for the last few years, apart from the introduction of OLED which isn't at all common yet. Oh, and 3-D which I detest totally.

My next TV will be an OLED and I dont care if it costs me a small fortune. But I wont buy it until my current LED breaks down with no economical hope of repair. As it has 4 more years of warranty left I'm not too bothered.

That's +60.000 Baht must have been well spend I guess.

My latest purchase of a 50" Full Hd Plasma with 3D and network function abd wifi ready was 27.500 Baht. Plays everything straight from my computer over the network.

By the way, which brand gives 5 years warranty on their panels ?

My latest purchase of a 50" Full Hd Plasma with 3D and network function abd wifi ready was 27.500 Baht. Plays everything straight from my computer over the network.

That's the point. A 1080p 3D 50" plasma for 27500 is a way better deal than a 720p for 16500.

By the way, which brand gives 5 years warranty on their panels ?

My screen is 10% bigger which adds a bit to the cost, of course. My main reasons for choosing LED over Plasma were the lesser heat generation and ability to transport it flat and generally throw it around (I expect to move within the life of the screen, maybe more than once). The greater brand/model choice also came into the equation.

My warranty is from the vendor and covers everything. I got it as part of the discount.