Good Deal On New Lg 50In Tv

chris2004

Seriously though, why would anyone want to pay more than max 25 - 30k on a TV when technology is advancing so rapidly and prices are coming down so quickly?

Mine cost 60K+ about a year ago. The price of any equivalent model hasnt dropped much since then. Maybe 10% at most. There are no new features on newer models that are worth having.

I'm not aware that the technology has changed at all for the last few years, apart from the introduction of OLED which isn't at all common yet. Oh, and 3-D which I detest totally.

My next TV will be an OLED and I dont care if it costs me a small fortune. But I wont buy it until my current LED breaks down with no economical hope of repair. As it has 4 more years of warranty left I'm not too bothered.

My latest purchase of a 50" Full Hd Plasma with 3D and network function abd wifi ready was 27.500 Baht. Plays everything straight from my computer over the network.

That's the point. A 1080p 3D 50" plasma for 27500 is a way better deal than a 720p for 16500.

Not necessarily. For most people the 3D and extra definition would be a waste of money. In a few years time you'll be buying 1080p's for under 20k anyway. The 3D is a dying luxury as there isn't enough 3D material to watch.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously though, why would anyone want to pay more than max 25 - 30k on a TV when technology is advancing so rapidly and prices are coming down so quickly?

Mine cost 60K+ about a year ago. The price of any equivalent model hasnt dropped much since then. Maybe 10% at most. There are no new features on newer models that are worth having.

I'm not aware that the technology has changed at all for the last few years, apart from the introduction of OLED which isn't at all common yet. Oh, and 3-D which I detest totally.

My next TV will be an OLED and I dont care if it costs me a small fortune. But I wont buy it until my current LED breaks down with no economical hope of repair. As it has 4 more years of warranty left I'm not too bothered.

That's +60.000 Baht must have been well spend I guess.

My latest purchase of a 50" Full Hd Plasma with 3D and network function abd wifi ready was 27.500 Baht. Plays everything straight from my computer over the network.

By the way, which brand gives 5 years warranty on their panels ?

Your deal makes 60K plus seem like a total waste of money. I think people are paying big money for certain brand names...and that's all they're basically getting for the extra money - a badge.

Most of the big companies are still making them. They'll be around for a long while yet.

Many companies have stopped making them. Just a few remain and, above all, nearly all the factories that make the actual panels have shut down. As far as I know only two remain.

So production is destined to decrease and then end. Don't get me wrong; I prefer the picture on plasma versus LCD/LED also, but that wont halt the decline. Luckily OLED is coming along to replace them all. My next TV will be a big OLED, no doubt about it.

Samsung is a big player in TV's. They are still making low budget, big plasma TV's. I bought one recently over in the Philippines. It's upsetting how much more they cost over there than here.

My LG 50 (about four years old) has been intermittently green-screening for a few months now and yesterday finally crapped itself completely.

I'm buying the new Samsung 51 inch 3D Plasma Smart TV tomorrow here in Australia for $798 (23,940 baht). 1080, wifi, apps/web browser/Skype pre-loaded, usb recording/playback etc.

Your deal makes 60K plus seem like a total waste of money. I think people are paying big money for certain brand names...and that's all they're basically getting for the extra money - a badge.

Maybe other people buy brand names. I bought a good picture, a larger screen, lower energy consumption, lower heat emissions, less fragility and a 5 year warranty.

I have no problems with this.

Most of the big companies are still making them. They'll be around for a long while yet.

Many companies have stopped making them. Just a few remain and, above all, nearly all the factories that make the actual panels have shut down. As far as I know only two remain.

So production is destined to decrease and then end. Don't get me wrong; I prefer the picture on plasma versus LCD/LED also, but that wont halt the decline. Luckily OLED is coming along to replace them all. My next TV will be a big OLED, no doubt about it.

Samsung is a big player in TV's. They are still making low budget, big plasma TV's. I bought one recently over in the Philippines. It's upsetting how much more they cost over there than here.

My LG 50 (about four years old) has been intermittently green-screening for a few months now and yesterday finally crapped itself completely.

I'm buying the new Samsung 51 inch 3D Plasma Smart TV tomorrow here in Australia for $798 (23,940 baht). 1080, wifi, apps/web browser/Skype pre-loaded, usb recording/playback etc.

Let's hope you live in the south or Tasmania where some additional heating will come in handy.biggrin.png

We got an Samsung 51" plasma (720p) a couple of years ago for about 22K if I remember correctly. - model PS51D450

Admittedly, I will always buy 1080p for anything that I'd hook up to a games console or a computer, where you might tend to sit a lot closer to the screen, but this is just used for watching TV and the odd movie, and to be brutally honest, my eyes aren't up to telling the difference between 1080p and 720p at normal viewing ranges (the whole family needs to wear glasses).

On the Plasma vs LCD thing.

- Yes - a plasma uses more power, when showing a light scene, but it's power consumption drops when you're showing a dark scene. With LCDs/LEDs, they generally use the same power regardless of the displayed scene (until you get to truly high-end LEDs), which means plasma isn't quite so much of a power hog as the LCD proponents would have you believe.

- Blacks are always going to be better on low-end plasmas than they are on low-end LCDs (It's a lot closer on the really high-end LCD screens where they'll turn down the back-light on dark sections of the screen, like the 9600V that got referenced, but on the low-end and edge-lit LCDs the backlight is always on).

- Plasma is more fragile, when it comes to transportation / storage.

- Refresh rates on LCDs have improved dramatically over the years, so where plasmas used to be far better for moving content, it's no longer true.

- Burn-in issues on old plasmas are no longer as big an issue as they used to be. The exception might be if you were to leave it sitting constantly on a game screen, or ALWAYS watch a channel with the logo in a set part of the screen. i.e. You can still generate burn-in, but you have to really try hard to do it.

- As for 3D, there is not much movie content (blu-ray movies), but the main people that need 3D would be for gaming. - i.e. there are over 50 games that work in 3D on Playstation 3, and about half that on Xbox 360. And quite a few PC games also work with 3D over the HDMi connection.