Best Places To Buy Fishing Equipment In Bangkok?

guest angler

Hi everyone. first time on this forum and this is the first topic that caught my eye.

i'll be in thailand next month and i love fishing, so although this topic is useful but i was wondering about prices. for example how much does a good rod (Daiwa, Shimano, Abu Garcia, etc) with a good reel will cost me? since i'll be there for a month or maybe more and most of the time will go fishing, i want to buy good equipment. if anyone can give me some prices it will be helpful.

PS: i actually checked 7seasproshop. but it seems the prices are high. Daiwa Coastal CL562MHS is priced 3700 Bahts. in my country (Iran) it's less than half this price (about 1630 Bahts). am i missing something or the prices are actually very high in thailand?

Edited by md92h

Hi everyone. first time on this forum and this is the first topic that caught my eye.

i'll be in thailand next month and i love fishing, so although this topic is useful but i was wondering about prices. for example how much does a good rod (Daiwa, Shimano, Abu Garcia, etc) with a good reel will cost me? since i'll be there for a month or maybe more and most of the time will go fishing, i want to buy good equipment. if anyone can give me some prices it will be helpful.

PS: i actually checked 7seasproshop. but it seems the prices are high. Daiwa Coastal CL562MHS is priced 3700 Bahts. in my country (Iran) it's less than half this price (about 1630 Bahts). am i missing something or the prices are actually very high in thailand?

Like everything it all depends on the quality you are looking for, I have 2 rods both cost 10,000 bht each, Shimano bait runners 5000 bht each, if you want quality you will have to pay for it, yes Thailand is expensive due to the poor exchange rate!!

• Like 1

7seas is also a bit more expensive than most of the other shops in town. However, they do have a huge range of stuff, and its mainly all name brands.

I've not been able to find such a good selection of quality gear anywhere else.

Also, I've just bought a few lures at my local shop in On-Nut, and having checked the 7Seas web-site found they were actually a few baht cheaper there! So on some things they are competitive.

It all depends on how much money you have, and if you have the time and inclination to look around and compare prices, I guess. Remember that travellling around Bangkok costs both time (a lot!) and money (not so much!), so in the end it may not be worth the effort, unless you are making a big saving somewhere else.

You can buy cheap fishing gear here, remember the fish here are huge and immensely strong, I have seen quite a few rods snap under the pressure, in my opinion bait runners are a must so are good quality rods, as for line I always use power pro braid, it's thin and virtually has no stretch, quality gear is not cheap, buying cheap gear will end in disaster!!

You can buy cheap fishing gear here, remember the fish here are huge and immensely strong, I have seen quite a few rods snap under the pressure, in my opinion bait runners are a must so are good quality rods, as for line I always use power pro braid, it's thin and virtually has no stretch, quality gear is not cheap, buying cheap gear will end in disaster!!

Very valid point.

How often do you get the chance to land 40kg+ fish, and do you want to risk losing a fish of this size because you have saved some money?

As the saying goes, you pays your money, and you takes your choice.

At Bungsamran you can rent a rod and reel for 600 baht (If I remember rightly) which will be up to the job, if slightly less than brand new, just remember to check the last 10-20 yards of line for wear.

• 2 weeks later...

Very valid point.

How often do you get the chance to land 40kg+ fish, and do you want to risk losing a fish of this size because you have saved some money?

As the saying goes, you pays your money, and you takes your choice.

At Bungsamran you can rent a rod and reel for 600 baht (If I remember rightly) which will be up to the job, if slightly less than brand new, just remember to check the last 10-20 yards of line for wear.

Hey guys,

I landed a couple of sharks last week in the 175 kg range and I was using berkley whiplash braid. The sand bar was only about a foot deep at the time with sharks in the deep water behind it. Even with line under tension rubbing on the bar constantly trying to drag sharks over the bar it didn't break. So I highly recommend that brand if you can get it. It's the same price as power pro in most places.

• 4 months later...

If you are chosing between IT Lake Monster and Bungsamran, then its a matter of travel and fishing time. Bungsamran, is basically in central BKK, while IT Lake Monster is about 3 hrs northwest of BKK. I know it is just about 150 km's from central BKK, but the road up there is quite busy, especially around Friday eve's and Saturday mornings.

I've fished at BSR many times, and I like it. It is a very good place to take friends and clients, when they are in BKK for just some days. I have organized a couple of sport days at BSR for my staff, and that is really good fun, where we have prices of number of fish taken during one day, and also price for the largest fish during one day. The GM of my company here in TH, and myself are frequently fishing BSR as well as the not so far surrounding area of BKK, and up to today, I have never fished in such good water as the IT Lake Monster. First time I went there, I was very lucky. I got some notable size Red tail catfish, Barramundi, Snake head, some large-relative to-Pyranya, Alligator Gar and finally, a large huge Arapima, which were fighting just as you would dream of.

Second time I was there, I got two Alligator Gars and another Arapima.

Going for the Arapima, you use live bait...(pieces of dead fish on the hook), that's what they consider being live bait.

While fishing in BSR, I have got to know a guide, which helped me the first time I was there, and which I am always using nowadays. Always book him in advance. He's actually from the area near IT Lake Monster, so he know everyone there, and he has joined me always to IT LM also. It's great to have someone to show you how to rig your tackle the right way for these monster fishes, how to look on the surface where an Arapima might be taking a nap just down under.

Largest Mekong catfish I have taken, was at BSR and it was 63-kg on a 20 lbs line. Took approx 2hrs and several beers, but finally I got her in the net, and had to jump in to get that nice photo everyone wants. The largest fishes, the guides don't want to land, instead you jump into the water. In IT, you'll do the same if you get an Arapima.