Renewal Of 5 Year Driver's License

Just wondering. Is this more or less the process that Thai nationals go through to get a licence, or do they have to demonstrate an ability to drive a car? A guy I know who drives a baht bus was hit from behind by a Thai woman driver. He thought it was funny that her driving licence was just one day old.

Just a quick note, if you have a one year temporary license and need to get a 5 year permanent license, you will need a medical report. Wifey just did it 2 weeks ago and it was required. I'm off to do mine today so will report back on this also.

And yes, the tests are exactly the same for Thais and foreigners. I guess you use to be able to get your license in a variety of ways before (whistling.gif ), but not now. Seems they are cracking down on this a bit. But just because you pass their easy tests doesn't mean you can drive well! laugh.png

• Like 1

If you already have a one year license can you change to 5 year if you're only on a 30 day tourist visa?

Likewise, if you're renewing 5 year license can you renew it if you're only on 30 day tourist visa?

If you already have a one year license can you change to 5 year if you're only on a 30 day tourist visa?

Likewise, if you're renewing 5 year license can you renew it if you're only on 30 day tourist visa?

1 - no - I tried very hard when I renewed my one year last year but no way without a longer visa and probably a 1 year type. (I think you mean a visa waiver stamp?) Just had to get another 1 year.

2 - not sure but would imagine same as above although you may get away with it by mistake.

Seriously????? Another driving licence thread crazy.gif

I know and they are all saying the same thing just slightly differently, So lets pin this thread for the FIVE YEAR renewal topics and try to at least keep that one in one place.

Using this one because the topic title makes instant sense.

• Like 2

And yes, the tests are exactly the same for Thais and foreigners. I guess you use to be able to get your license in a variety of ways before (whistling.gif ), but not now. Seems they are cracking down on this a bit.

You dont have to do the actual driving test or multiple choice exam if you are getting a 1-year car licence issued based on sight of a valid farang licence. You do have to do the sight and reflex tests though.

• Like 1

I know this isn't related to renewal of a 5 year license, but went yesterday to get my first 5 year license as my 1 year temporary one expired. Got to the LTO about 11:10. Did the color and reflex tests within 10 minutes (seemed as they were in a hurry as many mistakes were made and they were just shrugged off...completely different from when I first got my 1 year temporary license.). Went over and paid the fees, waited about 40 minutes for the pictures and card and was out around 12:10 or so. Not bad! Medical report was required.

Hello,

I'm soon to renew my car and motorbike driving licences, I currently have 1 year licences and should get five years as this time I'm on a non imm visa.

Do I need two residency certificates or will be one original and a copy be enough ?

Hello,

I'm soon to renew my car and motorbike driving licences, I currently have 1 year licences and should get five years as this time I'm on a non imm visa.

Do I need two residency certificates or will be one original and a copy be enough ?

I just did this. Needed 2 medical certs and 2 residency certs. Ouch! 400B for the latter 2. For the medical ones, the place I went filled out 2 forms for the same price. 100B.

Hello,

I just did this. Needed 2 medical certs and 2 residency certs. Ouch! 400B for the latter 2. For the medical ones, the place I went filled out 2 forms for the same price. 100B.

I went with someone a couple of months ago who was doing exactly this and he used just one original of each and one copy. As long as the counter clerk can see both the original and the copy at the same time they were perfectly happy to keep the original for one application and the copy for the other application. I think they wrote something on the copy but I have no idea what.

Of course the goalposts may have moved since.

• Like 1

I was there the day before and forgot to get the residency cert. The lady told my wife I needed 2. Wifey complained a bit, but the clerk said one was needed for each license.

As you say, you never know. But having to go all the way back to Jomtien and back would probably cost you 200B in gas in case it doesn't work. Either way, it'll be interesting to see what happens. Can you post your experience here?

Thanks!

I was there the day before and forgot to get the residency cert. The lady told my wife I needed 2. Wifey complained a bit, but the clerk said one was needed for each license.

As you say, you never know. But having to go all the way back to Jomtien and back would probably cost you 200B in gas in case it doesn't work. Either way, it'll be interesting to see what happens. Can you post your experience here?

Thanks!

I drive around on motorbike so gas cost isn't an issue but going to immigration is so i'm in doubt now, two conflicting reports.. It's a tough gamble, overpaying 200 baht or taking risk to spend hours in the jomtien hell sad.png I'll report once it's done

Thanks!

I drive around on motorbike so gas cost isn't an issue but going to immigration is so i'm in doubt now, two conflicting reports.. It's a tough gamble, overpaying 200 baht or taking risk to spend hours in the jomtien hell sad.png I'll report once it's done

When are you planning to go? I can have my wife call there in the AM and see if she can get an answer? Plus, I'll probably be back there on Tuesday or Wednesday as I've got those lousy license places that crack and peel. They told me for 100B I can get new ones. Of course, didn't have all the paperwork the last time I was there...so have to go again.

My suggestion would be to pay the extra 200 baht to get 2 Residence Certs at Immigration, and make a copy of one. When you sign in at the LTO, TRY to get by with one original, and one copy. Then, at least, you can let everybody know if that works. If it doesn't, you'll have the other original ready to go, and avoid a revisit to Immigration.

• Like 1

Do you mean that you forgot to get a residency certificate at all or just forgot to get the second one?

I can see there being a different response from the clerk depending on whether you show no residence certificate or show one and say "I forgot the second".

Or the goalposts could indeed have moved since a couple of months ago. smile.png

Do you mean that you forgot to get a residency certificate at all or just forgot to get the second one?

I can see there being a different response from the clerk depending on whether you show no residence certificate or show one and say "I forgot the second".

Or the goalposts could indeed have moved since a couple of months ago. smile.png

I forgot to get even one. Thought I could use my house paperwork. No luck. Tried hard. IHATE dealing with Jomtien immigration. She asked if I was getting 2 licenses, I said yes. She said to get 2 residency certs. One for each license. So...I got 2!

Home -> Land transport office -> Immigration -> Home -> Land transport office -> Home -> Land Transport office -> Home (for the final time...hopefully). Whew.

IHATE dealing with Jomtien immigration. She asked if I was getting 2 licenses, I said yes. She said to get 2 residency certs. One for each license. So...I got 2!

That explains it. Jomtien immigration want you to buy as many as possible of these as they get to keep the money!

When I got mine a year ago they wanted me to take a second one for a motorbike licence also and I had a hard job convincing her that I really didn't want a motorbike licence at all.

I suspect that had you asked the clerk at the licence office how many they wanted it would have saved you 200B (but not the trip!).

Live and learn. smile.png

IHATE dealing with Jomtien immigration. She asked if I was getting 2 licenses, I said yes. She said to get 2 residency certs. One for each license. So...I got 2!

That explains it. Jomtien immigration want you to buy as many as possible of these as they get to keep the money!

When I got mine a year ago they wanted me to take a second one for a motorbike licence also and I had a hard job convincing her that I really didn't want a motorbike licence at all.

I suspect that had you asked the clerk at the licence office how many they wanted it would have saved you 200B (but not the trip!).

Live and learn. smile.png

It was the clerk at the LTO that told me to get 2 copies from immigration. We argued, but didn't win.

Or the goalposts could indeed have moved since a couple of months ago.

I forgot to get even one. Thought I could use my house paperwork. No luck. Tried hard. IHATE dealing with Jomtien immigration. She asked if I was getting 2 licenses, I said yes. She said to get 2 residency certs. One for each license. So...I got 2!

Home -> Land transport office -> Immigration -> Home -> Land transport office -> Home -> Land Transport office -> Home (for the final time...hopefully). Whew.

I renewed my 5 year licenses recently and showed my yellow house book and that was gladly accepted instead of the immigration letter.

Sent from my GT-I9100T

I renewed my 5 year licenses recently and showed my yellow house book and that was gladly accepted instead of the immigration letter.

Sent from my GT-I9100T

I thought that would work also, I had all my house paperwork. Lady just kept pointing to a copy of the residency certification under the glass on the desk. Wifey tried and tried, but no luck.

As we know, things can change day to day or worker to worker.

Sent from my GT-I9100T

I thought that would work also, I had all my house paperwork. Lady just kept pointing to a copy of the residency certification under the glass on the desk. Wifey tried and tried, but no luck.

As we know, things can change day to day or worker to worker.

Interesting.... So you showed your yellow book which is official "Thai" proof of residence and it was not accepted as such? I guess that day you got a stubborn worker. I too would have been quite upset if they turned me away and made me go pay money at immigration for a letter stating what my official yellow book already does.

• Like 1