Drought Hits Phi Phi Island

webfact

PHI PHI ISLAND
Drought hits paradise island

The Nation

PHUKET: -- The severe drought is threatening to quickly spread over many parts of the country, with water on the world-renowned tourist getaway of Phi Phi Island set to run out as early as this month.

"Here, rain has not fallen for more than one month already," Weerapat Jantaro, chairman of the Phi Phi Island Tourism Operator Club, said Thursday.

The operators are getting ready to buy water from mainland Phuket for Bt250Bt300 per cubic metre to prevent disruption to their business.

Some 2.5 million visitors arrive on Phi Phi, a part of Krabi, every day, with many staying the night.

Phankham Kittitornkun, chairman of the Ao Nang Tambon Administration Organisation, said that although the privately owned reservoir on the island still contained some water, it would likely dry up by the end of the month.

"So when April arrives, tourism operators on the island will have to order water from Phuket. Besides paying for the water, they will have to pay for transportation too, which is even more costly," he said.

Bottled water on Phi Phi would be a few times more expensive that on the mainland.

The Irrigation Department has warned farmers around the Chao Phraya River basin not to plant a second rice crop this season.

"Otherwise, rice in the paddies may later suffer from the shortage of water," it said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-03-14

2.5 million every day. More BS or fucwit?

I must admit it is poor writing. Let me rewrite ...

Some 2.5 million visitors arrive on Phi Phi each year. Phi Phi is in Krabi Provence, and visitors arrive every day, with many staying the night

The article may have been quoting Tourism Thailand statistics

• Like 1

So why would be bottled water suddenly much more expensive than on the mainland? They do not have a bottling plant so it is pure profit, a kind of welcome for the tourists visiting this polluted overrated island. But hey, there are so many nicer islands near the coast of Southern Thailand. Cheaper, cleaner and with nicer operators.

Serve em right ! When its 'pissing down' no one cares, the water just runs off the roof, no gutters, no rainwater collection tanks.........mai pen lai !

Back in my SE Qld home,in the wet season all the rainwater runs into gutters and then into large storage tanks for the dry season. In 30 years we were never without drinking water, and we were not on any town water supply.

When are these 'numpies' here in Thailand going to wake up and start catching the rain water during the wet ! whistling.gif

• Like 1

So why would be bottled water suddenly much more expensive than on the mainland? They do not have a bottling plant so it is pure profit, a kind of welcome for the tourists visiting this polluted overrated island. But hey, there are so many nicer islands near the coast of Southern Thailand. Cheaper, cleaner and with nicer operators.

The locals bottle water is filtered from the local reservoir and thats running low . If you think your drinking some pure mineral water or some spring valley water your kidding yourselves .I've seen the practice done with my own eyes. Its only filtered .....just hope it gets all the dead body remnants and rotting soi dog particles and tastes out.

Some 2.5 million visitors arrive on Phi Phi each year. Phi Phi is in Krabi Provence, and visitors arrive every day, with many staying the night

Another example of poor writing! Phi Phi is in a province called Krabi. Provence is a region of France.

Something to do with the cost of transportation?

Phi Phi may run out of water
THE NATION

30201994-01_big.jpg

PHUKET: -- Drought is threatening to spread to many parts of the country, with water in the renowned tourist getaway of Phi Phi Island set to run out as early as this month.

"Here, rain has not fallen for more than a month," Weerapat Jantaro, chairman of the Phi Phi Island Tourism Operator Club, said.

The operators are getting ready to buy water from Phuket for Bt250-Bt300 per cubic metre to prevent disruption to their business.

Some 2,500-3,000 visitors arrive on Phi Phi every day, with many staying the night.

Phankham Kittitornkun, chairman of the Ao Nang Tambon Administration Organisation, said that though the privately owned reservoir on the island still had some water, it would likely dry up by the end of the month.

"So when April arrives, tourism operators on the island will have to order water from Phuket. Besides paying for the water, they will have to pay for transportation, which is even more costly," he said.

Bottled water on Phi Phi would be a few times more expensive that on the mainland.

The Irrigation Department has warned farmers around the Chao Phraya River basin not to plant a second crop this season.

Large dams across the country are down to 41.28 billion cubic metres of water - 6.24 billion cubic metres lower than last year - and just 17.76 billion cubic metres can be used.

More than 10 million rai of farmland in the Chao Phraya basin are being worked on this arid season despite the plan limiting planted areas to 9.6 million rai.

As of March 12, only 1.91 million cubic metres, or 21 per cent, remained of the water stored for irrigation in the Chao Phraya Basin even though the dry season is expected to drag on for at least another month.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-03-15

So the cost of bottled water will go up because they will have to import it from the mainland. Aren't they importing it from the mainland already or do they have a bottling plant on the island?

Another example of poor writing! Phi Phi is in a province called Krabi. Provence is a region of France.

I would say an example of a small mistake and of a nitwit for pointing out the mistake that way.

"Some 2.5 million visitors arrive on Phi Phi, a part of Krabi, every day, with many staying the night.

"

2.5 * 365 days = 912 million people

woehahhaa

great journalism, again

Ops normal for the Nation.

TAT will love these figures just waiting for the media release. tourist numbers up from 24 million to 912 million