Fears Over Safety Of Tourists In Phuket

Lite Beer

Fears over safety of tourists in Phuket

By Natalie Paris

The chief of police in Phuket, Thailand, has asked for help to reduce the number of serious crimes against visitors in the popular beach resort.

While announcing new crime figures for the island, police chief Maj-Gen Chote Chawanwiwat called for 5,000 more officers to help protect tourists from what local news sites describe as “mafia-style” crime.

The figures revealed that seven ex-pats have been murdered in the resort since 2010 and that last year, foreigners were the victims of two rapes, 13 violent crimes, 13 attempted robberies and 46 cases of fraud. In the same year, 193 foreigners were also arrested for drinks, drugs and drink driving offences. The biggest cause of death to foreigners in the resort was drowning however, with eight deaths in 2012.

The statistics were released in response to increased concern about the safety of foreigners following the death of an Australian travel agent, who died from stab wounds after having her bag snatched last year. Her attackers have been caught and jailed for life.

Only this week, a Singaporean tourist was also targeted by two bag-snatchers on a motorcycle who were travelling at speed and crashed into an oncoming car. Two teenage men are currently under police guard at Phuket City Hospital.

Full Story: http://www.telegraph...-in-Phuket.html

-- TELEGRAPH 2013-03-14

It would be nice to see more police officers on or in vehicles that were fast enough to catch the nutters in their - dare I say it? - Fortuners, or on their souped up bikes (mostly Thai) especially if they could be persuaded to be on patrol AFTER the sun goes down.

The biggest cause of death to foreigners in the resort was drowning however, with eight deaths in 2012.

LOL! What a load of crap! Nice reporting! There were many more than eight deaths by drowning on Phuket in 2012. And I'm quite positive there were many more than eight foreigners killed in traffic accidents in 2012 as well. Off the top of my head I can think of more. There have been no official lists of foreigner deaths by drowning or vehicle accidents for almost two years now. No Public Health updates have been made available since April 2012.

I agree. Road accidents would have to be the number one cause of death on Phuket, and the "real" statistics would be staggering.

The biggest cause of death to foreigners in the resort was drowning however, with eight deaths in 2012.

LOL! What a load of crap! Nice reporting! There were many more than eight deaths by drowning on Phuket in 2012. And I'm quite positive there were many more than eight foreigners killed in traffic accidents in 2012 as well. Off the top of my head I can think of more. There have been no official lists of foreigner deaths by drowning or vehicle accidents for almost two years now. No Public Health updates have been made available since April 2012.

I agree. Road accidents would have to be the number one cause of death on Phuket, and the "real" statistics would be staggering.

Second that. What a load of sh*t. RTA's have to be THE cause of most deaths on Phuket

Now lets be reasonable and look at why there are so many accidents. I see many people replying here come from well trained driving counties like America, Australia and parts of euroope.

A lot of tourists in Phuket come from Arabic and Russian lands and guess what? You dont need a license to ride a camel and in Russia BRIBERY is more rife than Thailand. So guess what? Ruskies come and have a drivers license they bought and hore a car or bike and away they go.

And if they wanted to stop the crimes, pay the Police a fair and equitable wage and rid the force of corruption which will take time so criminal gangs cannot BUY their way out.

Now the Government makes so much money from torist related indutsryu here and all the foreign businesses so what do they do with the money.. YES you have it...THEY scam from the top and screw the rest so Thailand will always be a basket case and state things to make the news and state how good theya re at solving things.

In 16 years of travel to here what has changed? Nothing really except mnore Thais rely on us to pay.

Crap indeed ! I was once swept off Karon Beach so far out that I could only just see the island, literally miles, in a rip that was one of the fastest I have ever experienced. Somehow I managed to get back, to be told by a local that sometimes 2 or 3 people a DAY were drowned off this beach, particularly later in the year in the monsoon season !

LOL! What a load of crap! Nice reporting! There were many more than eight deaths by drowning on Phuket in 2012. And I'm quite positive there were many more than eight foreigners killed in traffic accidents in 2012 as well. Off the top of my head I can think of more. There have been no official lists of foreigner deaths by drowning or vehicle accidents for almost one year now. According to a local news source there has been no Public Health updates have been made available since April 2012 from the local Phuket Government. Not surprising. It might damage Phuket's shining image as the "pearl of the Andaman." LOL!

So True ..Karon Beach would have to Rate as one of the most Dangerous , with some Incredible Rips .

Its Interesting I had 2 groups of friends last year Stay at Karon ..When I warned them to be careful of the Beach they Appeared Shocked , I explained it was certainly a beautiful area , but was Extremely dangerous ( And it is ) ..

Around Monsoon you want to be even more than a competant swimmer .. You need to be extremely Calm , and know how to Handle a Rip . Even with Australians , and really unless they are experienced Surfers , or Beach Life Savers , these extremely quick RIPS , can just destroy emotionally as pannick sets in . First rule is to understand the Danger ...

Many Have Died at Karon ..Including reasonably recently the Aussie Nurse swimming at Night . Good Surf breaks at times ..But know your stuff ..Or Else , very few warning , although the beach is often Closed ..Most Ignore .

Crap indeed ! I was once swept off Karon Beach so far out that I could only just see the island, literally miles, in a rip that was one of the fastest I have ever experienced. Somehow I managed to get back, to be told by a local that sometimes 2 or 3 people a DAY were drowned off this beach, particularly later in the year in the monsoon season !

LOL! What a load of crap! Nice reporting! There were many more than eight deaths by drowning on Phuket in 2012. And I'm quite positive there were many more than eight foreigners killed in traffic accidents in 2012 as well. Off the top of my head I can think of more. There have been no official lists of foreigner deaths by drowning or vehicle accidents for almost one year now. According to a local news source there has been no Public Health updates have been made available since April 2012 from the local Phuket Government. Not surprising. It might damage Phuket's shining image as the "pearl of the Andaman." LOL!

It would be nice to see more police officers on or in vehicles that were fast enough to catch the nutters in their - dare I say it? - Fortuners, or on their souped up bikes (mostly Thai) especially if they could be persuaded to be on patrol AFTER the sun goes down.

The police could also have a crackdown in ALL areas after dark, for vehicles without lights. In the country areas it is so common.

IF ...IF...any truth lies within the stories of police officers being required to pay 'key money' and 'commission' to obtain and maintain a post in these 'profitable' locations....

...IF...IF...any truth lies within the article stats (ofcourse the stats are true - I refer to ommissions)

Methinks (albeit cynically):

One hand is defering international critic to mis-adventure, personal responsibility and over-reaction

The other hand is capitalising on international critic by defering to a 5,000 manpower shortage.

What can you do?....

DON'T GO THERE!