Honda Cb 500 X

anto

Anyway, I have a stupid question after a discussion with my mechanic who is also my friend. If the cb500 series needs valve adjustment @ 1000km, what's make Honda so sure that the valve does not need adjustment @ 2000km? Pardon my stupidity.

Was debating with him the whole night over this.

Just a guess: Because after 1000km the break in should be finished?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Break-in_%28mechanical_run-in%29

Good question. Maybe better to check it every 1000km to be 100% sure ;)

Anyway, I have a stupid question after a discussion with my mechanic who is also my friend. If the cb500 series needs valve adjustment @ 1000km, what's make Honda so sure that the valve does not need adjustment @ 2000km? Pardon my stupidity.

Was debating with him the whole night over this.

debating the whole night ? drunk.gif.pagespeed.ce.hfErN2aQEE.gif

but seriously, my guess is Honda knows something they don't want to tell us about the valves, I think its silly to have an engine opened after 1000km.(its a conspiracy you know...)

Edited by pokerkid

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I picked one up last week.

First impressions were, "This is too tall. Can't put both my heels on the ground. Feels like the centre of gravity is way too high." I've been riding a CBR 150 Ri for the last 3 years which is much lower down. The girlfriend is having problems mounting and dismounting (the bike, that is).

After a couple of days, this feeling of being too high goes away for the most part. I like the smooth power delivery from low revs and the bike is surprisingly easy to manoeuvre at low speed. So, happy with it, but should have probably gone with the F which was my original choice.

Clutch is highly sprung. A bit achey on the left hand around the back sois with constant gear changes. Girlfriend correctly pointed out there is a loud clunk on each gear change. Bigger bike, newer gearbox, louder clunk, I suppose.

Just noticed on the Big Wing website, they are bringing out a red CB 500 X very soon. Damn, I should have waited, never mind.

Just noticed on the Big Wing website, they are bringing out a red CB 500 X very soon. dam_n, I should have waited, never mind.

The Big Wing website I just looked at shows only White and black.

Have you got a link?

Re gear change, loud but very solid feel on every gear change. I know 1st to 2nd is always the loudest as it is here. Nothing feels amiss.

Re red CB 500 X coming soon. Pattaya Big Wing announced it on their Facebook site on Sep 3.

Getting to grips with the X now. Getting a real feel for the bike as you do after a while.

As everybody has reviewed, the brakes are very good. (That's an important point for me)

Been too busy to put any serious miles on it. Hoping to reach 1000 kms next week. Get the initial service done and then take it for a long ride (2,000 km).

Honda even phoned me up to see if everything was okay! A bit of fluff but somewhat reassuring.

• Like 1

I did read something to that effect.

I am not going to worry about something I would not be able to adjust myself and have not noticed any negative effect from. Honda generally builds very reliable engines.

However I will bear it in mind.

I think the call was just "fluff" because it was the admin guy and not the salesman or the mechanic. But as I said, a little reassuring.

• Like 1

Went to Bigwing yesterday ready to buy the F. Test rode all three bikes and preferred the riding position of the X.

Didn't like the forward lean of the F, too much weight on my wrists.

Probably won't buy either now, don't like the beak of the X.

I think if you are talking really tight traffic, like central Bangkok, I would not be looking at any of the CB500 series. Simply too heavy, too wide, too big a turning circle.

You can't see the beak of the X when you are riding it. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Went to Bigwing yesterday ready to buy the F. Test rode all three bikes and preferred the riding position of the X.

Didn't like the forward lean of the F, too much weight on my wrists.

Probably won't buy either now, don't like the beak of the X.

A riser will take the weight off your wrist.

• Like 1

That is so much bullshit that im challenging you for a busy traffic ride through sukhumwit road. I remember having this debate before and as I said before the smaller the better in tight heavy traffic. I be faster on a bicycle than a scooter even. And scooter vs big bikes I will easy be home before the big bikes looking for big enough rooms to get through.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

That is so much bullshit that im challenging you for a busy traffic ride through sukhumwit road. I remember having this debate before and as I said before the smaller the better in tight heavy traffic. I be faster on a bicycle than a scooter even. And scooter vs big bikes I will easy be home before the big bikes looking for big enough rooms to get through.

Challenging who?:D

It's all about skill.

Everyone can ride fast. But not all can ride well.

• Like 1

What you mean? I wasnt talking about skills or riding fast. Was taking care of the subject if the cbr500 xfr is good in traffic or not.

Yes, all these bikes are good for bangkok traffic. Cb500f is the best among them of course for more comfort in traffic.

You might not ride a big bike in high traffic but some people can do it nicely and reach point b from a faster than a scooter. Nothing wrong with that. It is all about experience and skills.

That's all bullshit!

Yep that's all you seem to be adding to this conversation, personal preference plays a huge part in what makes the perfect bike though heavy traffic.

All you can offer is you personal preference so get off your high horse fella, you sound like someone who's underwear is a few sizes to small

:lol:

Sent from somewhere using something

Riding fast through heavy traffic is good for the ego. But does it serve any other purpose?

You can get from point A to point B with different types of bikes, small or big. Being the fastest doesn't mean you own the best bike. It doesn't even mean you are the best. I am pretty sure in a few months ll2 will tell us that a bike with more than 80hp is the best for heavy traffic - if you have the skills for it wink.png

Sure you can use a 500cc in Bangkok. Or a Wave. Most important is you can safely reach your destination. Second important is you have fun and feel good. So ABS imo is a better reason for buying a 250cc or 500cc at the moment. Not "being faster than others".

I ride in thight BKK traffic every day.

See what I wrote there? I ride, not I am stuck and can't go anywhere.

You would be surprised how easy it is to squeeze this bike through traffic.

But I guess it comes down to skill again. Trust me, I am not an old boy who has been riding for 30 years.