Honda Cb 500 X

anto

Scooters ride better in tight traffic. I have ridden my nouvo 135cc and my cbr 250r and an Ninja 650. Scooters win in heavy real heavy traffic. Anyone denying this is a bit crazy in my opinion or has never ridden in really tight traffic. 

I am not saying im an expert driver but its only logical that in real heavy traffic (cars not moving and such making 3 lanes from a 2 lane road ect ect) that scooters win.

Scooters like pcx or forza?

As some boys riding first time in thailand in their lives stated above, trust me, scooters might be ok for 2 km section of sukhumvit road but what if your commute includes some highway stint or some open sections of the roads?

It is up to you and your capability at the end. Scooters are scooters not bikes as well!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Scooters ride better in tight traffic. I have ridden my nouvo 135cc and my cbr 250r and an Ninja 650. Scooters win in heavy real heavy traffic. Anyone denying this is a bit crazy in my opinion or has never ridden in really tight traffic.

I am not saying im an expert driver but its only logical that in real heavy traffic (cars not moving and such making 3 lanes from a 2 lane road ect ect) that scooters win.

Scooters like pcx or forza?

As some boys riding first time in thailand in their lives stated above, trust me, scooters might be ok for 2 km section of sukhumvit road but what if your commute includes some highway stint or some open sections of the roads?

It is up to you and your capability at the end. Scooters are scooters not bikes as well!

Those things are big.. im talking about the novou 135 cc much smaller and easier to handle. I am talking about a click.. not the forza and pcx

I like using my bigger bike.... as for the whole commute its better but for the real congested parts the smaller scooters are better. I thought we were talking about real congested parts not over a whole commute. If there are parts fast moving highway and such the bigger bike is better again.

• Like 1

Atleast there is someone here with common sense in their mind.

I like using my bigger bike.... as for the whole commute its better but for the real congested parts the smaller scooters are better. I thought we were talking about real congested parts not over a whole commute. If there are parts fast moving highway and such the bigger bike is better again.

Exactly. We were talking about "really tight traffic". Thats how this discussion started. There are many BKK areas in rush hour where a scooter is simply the better choice. Talking about "needed skills" for riding an entry level 470cc bike through Bangkok is kind of funny smile.png

Edited by wantan
  • Like 1

Exactly. We were talking about "really tight traffic". Thats how this discussion started. There are many BKK areas in rush hour where a scooter is simply the better choice. Talking about "needed skills" for riding an entry level 470cc bike through Bangkok is kind of funny smile.png

You need some skills for riding in heavy traffic or at least not be daunted by it. I've seen many posts on TV by riders who simply won't ride in Bangkok, why is that?

I guess we don't all come from big cities and some can be put off by sheer volume of traffic. I come from a big city so Bangkok was never really a problem for me.

Bangkok can be really heavy at times but it does move and open up sometimes. I'm with ll2 on this one, I use Rama IV everyday during rush hours and my Ninja would beat my scooter on most days. There is no gap that my scooter can get through that my Ninja can't, the only exception is when trying to turn in-between cars as the ninja has a larger turning circle. You could say that means the scooter wins but as I said when the road opens up after a light change etc the bigger bike will gain back what it lost(if any). So if I never have to turn in-between cars, which is often the case, then the bigger bike will win.The Honda CB(X or R)500 is slimmer than my Ninja(Once the honda owners change the mirrors) so I can't see why it would have any problems in heavy traffic. I will concede that a scooter is better for total gridlock(for cars) but I've rarely seen it as bad as that, and I've been here for years. Sukhumvit is worse than Rama IV though. I'd accept a challenge from xastunts down Rama IV but maybe not down Sukhumvit.

Damn it, I don't know . . . Here' a quick recipe for waffles instead.

Directions
  1. Preheat waffle iron. Beat eggs in large bowl with hand beater until fluffy. Beat in flour, milk, vegetable oil, sugar, baking powder, salt and vanilla, just until smooth.
  2. Spray preheated waffle iron with non-stick cooking spray. Pour mix onto hot waffle iron. Cook until golden brown. Serve hot.
  • Like 1

@macknife.. you nailed it with the turning circle.. i have seen it that bad often it kinda depends where you drive. Anyway I know what i would prefer in that real tight traffic. I also know what i prefer once it opens up a bit. Like with so many thing each has its advantages and disadvantages.

Exactly. We were talking about "really tight traffic". Thats how this discussion started. There are many BKK areas in rush hour where a scooter is simply the better choice. Talking about "needed skills" for riding an entry level 470cc bike through Bangkok is kind of funny Posted Image

You need some skills for riding in heavy traffic or at least not be daunted by it. I've seen many posts on TV by riders who simply won't ride in Bangkok, why is that?

I guess we don't all come from big cities and some can be put off by sheer volume of traffic. I come from a big city so Bangkok was never really a problem for me.

Bangkok can be really heavy at times but it does move and open up sometimes. I'm with ll2 on this one, I use Rama IV everyday during rush hours and my Ninja would beat my scooter on most days. There is no gap that my scooter can get through that my Ninja can't, the only exception is when trying to turn in-between cars as the ninja has a larger turning circle. You could say that means the scooter wins but as I said when the road opens up after a light change etc the bigger bike will gain back what it lost(if any). So if I never have to turn in-between cars, which is often the case, then the bigger bike will win.The Honda CB(X or R)500 is slimmer than my Ninja(Once the honda owners change the mirrors) so I can't see why it would have any problems in heavy traffic. I will concede that a scooter is better for total gridlock(for cars) but I've rarely seen it as bad as that, and I've been here for years. Sukhumvit is worse than Rama IV though. I'd accept a challenge from xastunts down Rama IV but maybe not down Sukhumvit.

dam_n it, I don't know . . . Here' a quick recipe for waffles instead.

Directions

• Preheat waffle iron. Beat eggs in large bowl with hand beater until fluffy. Beat in flour, milk, vegetable oil, sugar, baking powder, salt and vanilla, just until smooth.
  • Spray preheated waffle iron with non-stick cooking spray. Pour mix onto hot waffle iron. Cook until golden brown. Serve hot.

In this post I have to say that I do like the recipe of the waffles more.

dam_n it, I don't know . . . Here' a quick recipe for waffles instead.

Directions
  1. Preheat waffle iron. Beat eggs in large bowl with hand beater until fluffy. Beat in flour, milk, vegetable oil, sugar, baking powder, salt and vanilla, just until smooth.
  2. Spray preheated waffle iron with non-stick cooking spray. Pour mix onto hot waffle iron. Cook until golden brown. Serve hot.

With this i can agree.

You are talking about big streets like Rama4 and Sukhumvit. There are a lot of smaller connecting roads that often are same or even worser than Sukhumvit on the weekend or in rush hour. And the longer the wheel base and turning circle the more often you will get stuck. In "really tight traffic" nothing can beat a "really small scooter" imo. Good we have cleared this up now. You prepare your waffles, i grap my popcorn now ;)

• Like 1

If the tank capacity of this bike was a bit larger like the V-Strom 650, it would be perfect...

It has 15.7 litters capacity, autonomy of 440KM (66mpg)

The Suzuki V-Strom has a quite big tank of 20 liters, giving an amazing autonomy of 480KM (56-58mpg)

The Versys has a quite low 44-46 mpg, autonomy of 360KM

I hate stopping at gas stations.

sources:

http://www.ridermagazine.com/road-tests/rider-comparo-honda-nc700x-vs-kawasaki-versys-vs-suzuki-v-strom-650-abs.htm/

http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/cb500x

http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/suzuki/dl650

I'm really exited to get my CB500X in November. Or might even change my mind and go for the V-Strom in January if don't go home for x-mass+new-year biggrin.png

I'm worried that i'm not skilled enough for the V-Strom. since I've only ridden 150-200cc 4T bikes and scooters in the past.

Altho i've been riding in really crazy traffic jam in the most tight roads in Bangkok for 2 years.

Edited by brfsa2

I have 3 bikes:

2013 Honda Wave 125i

2013 Honda CB500F

1982 Honda VF750S

In terms of manoeuvrability, the F is much easier to handle for me, then the Wave then the VF. After getting the CB, the Wave feels relatively unstable.

I have ridden the VF in Bangkok traffic and wished I hadn't. I have ridden the CB in Udon traffic and it's a breeze - much easier than the Wave.

Before it was scooters, now it is nuovo and click only can go through congestion! What next? Bicycles?:D

Never had a problem with turning circle as well and can pass any hole that a scooter can pass as well. Do not fold my mirror too.

If some guys cannot do, it does not mean others cannot. Please do not generalize things you cannot do as hard or bad just to please your egos.

You are comfy on a scoot at traffic, perfectly fine for me though but i am not.

• Like 1

^

I am totally realistic robblok as go faster to point b from a with a big bike than a scooter.

It is not about saying i am riding fast etc or we are not racing here, just fixed with my experience. Riding big bikes in big cities for the majority of my life not only bangkok.

As i stated, you feel comfy and fast on a scoot mentally or physically in traffic, then ride a scoot. Just i dont feel this way. A big bike is more comfortable and safe for me and faster.

Very simple but some high egos cannot take any ideas or xp against theirs, not you though robblok.

saying bullshit to others ideas and experience means where the words end and ego talks:D

Sorry state of human being reveals back.

i found my cbr 150 to be faster between cars (between lanes) because of the location of the mirrors and easier to balance because of the gas tank.

but when zig zagging bumper to bumper, scooters can be more easier flicked around, its like a mouse in a maze.

• Like 1

^

I am totally realistic robblok as go faster to point b from a with a big bike than a scooter.

It is not about saying i am riding fast etc or we are not racing here, just fixed with my experience. Riding big bikes in big cities for the majority of my life not only bangkok.

As i stated, you feel comfy and fast on a scoot mentally or physically in traffic, then ride a scoot. Just i dont feel this way. A big bike is more comfortable and safe for me and faster.

Very simple but some high egos cannot take any ideas or xp against theirs, not you though robblok.

saying bullshit to others ideas and experience means where the words end and ego talks:D

We are talking heavy traffic.. here not a commute where heavy traffic is just part of it. Talking about kilometers of heavy traffic where Thais turn 2 lane roads into 3 lanes where it is hard to move.

On a normal commute where heavy traffic is only part of the trip i certainly prefer the big bike as it is more fun overall and sits more comfortable. You won't see me use the Nouvo 135cc on long trips where there is a fair bit of highway.. actually I seldom use it for anything over 10km. I like the big bike much more. But in the real tight spots scooters win. I just can't understand why you don't see that.

On the total commute the big bike wins.. but on those tight spots.. the scooter rules.

• Like 1

^

We are talking heavy traffic.. here not a commute where heavy traffic is just part of it. Talking about kilometers of heavy traffic where Thais turn 2 lane roads into 3 lanes where it is hard to move. 

On a normal commute where heavy traffic is only part of the trip i certainly prefer the big bike as it is more fun overall and sits more comfortable. You won't see me use the Nouvo 135cc on long trips where there is a fair bit of highway.. actually I seldom use it for anything over 10km. I like the big bike much more. But in the real tight spots scooters win. I just can't understand why you don't see that. 

On the total commute the big bike wins.. but on those tight spots.. the scooter rules.

I am sorry but we go through heavy traffic to reach point b right?

We dont go into traffic just for fun man! Got it?

I prefer to walk for 2 km if it is that congested but always able to pass through any congestion. A scooter - in your case only nuovo and click with folded mirrors so we better dont say scooter and say nuovo - might zigzag faster but at the end you pass them a minute later.

^

I am sorry but we go through heavy traffic to reach point b right?

We dont go into traffic just for fun man! Got it?

I prefer to walk for 2 km if it is that congested but always able to pass through any congestion. A scooter - in your case only nuovo and click with folded mirrors so we better dont say scooter and say nuovo - might zigzag faster but at the end you pass them a minute later.

The discussion here was heavy traffic not a full trip. On a full trip i agree 100% with you.

I have ridden all over Bangkok for many years. I mean a lot. I reckon I have more BKK motorbike mileage than 99% of posters here. In tight central BKK traffic, there is no way a CB 500 X, which I now own, is going to be more convenient than a much narrower scooter. It is simply too wide and cannot do those narrow 90 degree turns through the cars when you are negotiating through queues. No way. Anybody claiming otherwise is just stupid grandstanding.

I reckon some of the 2-stroke, now no longer sold, bikes e.g. NSR or the old, carburettor CBR 150 would be the quickest. But if you are determined enough and prepared to reduce margins to fractions of an inch then a Honda Wave will keep up with anything in the traffic.

Edited by Briggsy
  • Like 1

Anyway, back to the X, how do you view the coolant level without kneeling on the floor, preferably with a torch, whilst a friend holds the bike upright? I would like to know 'cos that is the only way I can do it at present.

This is assuming you don't have a stand.

I have ridden all over Bangkok for many years. I mean a lot. I reckon I have more BKK motorbike mileage than 99% of posters here. In tight central BKK traffic, there is no way a CB 500 X, which I now own, is going to be more convenient than a much narrower scooter. It is simply too wide and cannot do those narrow 90 degree turns through the cars when you are negotiating through queues. No way. Anybody claiming otherwise is just stupid grandstanding.

I reckon some of the 2-stroke, now no longer sold, bikes e.g. NSR or the old, carburettor CBR 150 would be the quickest. But if you are determined enough and prepared to reduce margins to fractions of an inch then a Honda Wave will keep up with anything in the traffic.

Well that's funny, when I am really stuck in traffic, it is because of those scooters who can't go through because of their wide mirrors.

I go between busses and see the scooters in my mirrors come to a stop because they are too wide.

Anyway, back to the X, how do you view the coolant level without kneeling on the floor, preferably with a torch, whilst a friend holds the bike upright? I would like to know 'cos that is the only way I can do it at present.

This is assuming you don't have a stand.

I think the floor kneeling / torch carrying / friend assisting system is the only way. Stupid really that basic maintenance is so awkward on the X. Difficulty of access is my only real gripe about what is otherwise a good bike.

I also don't like the moves needed to adjust preload on rear shock. You need to remove the right side plate to get at it. A real bugger if you are often changing from one up to two up and luggage. Meanwhile over at Kawasaki they stuck their monoshock on one side for easy access. (I also like the stubby little Kawasaki exhaust as its far easier to mount side bags). So yes, Honda gets a D- for consideration of maintenance and adjustments.

CBR250

Thanks for that. I thought there might be an easier way but there probably isn't. The very quick bike explanation given by the Honda mechanic when I bought it suggested I look from the rear left of the bike, down into the bike. It doesn't work. You cannot see the upper and lower level.

bramds

It must be cool in your parallel universe Bangkok. I would like to visit some day. tongue.png

Edited by Briggsy

i found my cbr 150 to be faster between cars (between lanes) because of the location of the mirrors and easier to balance because of the gas tank.

but when zig zagging  bumper to bumper, scooters can be more easier flicked around, its like a mouse in a maze.

There you go!

Exactly! But I guess the only thing that will convince that clown is to challenge him on a real heavy traffic day! I own the cbr r500 and a Honda air blade scooter same stuff like click and nuovo. And if your a bit intelligent is not hard to change the original mirrors to some smaller folded ones on the scooter. And yes that's nothing to argue about the smaller the better in that big beast of traffic of bkk.

• Like 1

Well that's funny, when I am really stuck in traffic, it is because of those scooters who can't go through because of their wide mirrors.

I go between busses and see the scooters in my mirrors come to a stop because they are too wide.

Yep, thats funny. I measured my Nouvo scooter and my stock CBR150i now smile.png

Width Handlebar Nouvo: 65cm

Width Handlebar CBR150: 70cm

Width Mirrors Nouvo: 75cm

Width Mirrors CBR150: 85cm

The mirrors on the Nouvo aren't stock, i changed them to PCX mirrors, which are a bit wider. I keep my mirrors in a "wide position" because if not they are useless (my shoulders are too wide i guess).

But even with folded mirrors the CBR150 is wider. And i guess the CBR500 isn't smaller?

Edited by wantan
  • Like 1

I reckon some of the 2-stroke, now no longer sold, bikes e.g. NSR or the old, carburettor CBR 150 would be the quickest. But if you are determinedq enough and prepared to reduce margins to fractions of an inch then a Honda Wave will keep up with anything in the traffic.

Just stick to your wave mate!

This is the best you can do i guess:D

It is just stupid to claim a wave is better than cb500f or r in bangkok but cb500x is tall and has high center of gravity so of course it is the hardest to drive in the city.

And i see some people want challange. Sounds funny. Racing with a nuovo! Just learn to ride a proper bike in the city first than we can talk:D