Can I Change From Truemove To Dtac Or Ais Keeping The Same Cell Phone Number?

jiangaq

Recently, the MICT announced the mobile number portability (MNP)
service for mobile carriers. Thus, subscribers are allowed to retain
their mobile numbers when they switch to another service provider, in a
bid to increase market competition. Therefore, the mobile number prefix
only indicates the original service provider.

Number portability has not been offered for fixed lines, as TOT holds a monopoly except in Bangkok and some areas in the Bangkok Metropolitan Area.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephone_numbers_in_Thailand#Number_portability

Mobile Number Portability is finally available! You can now choose a
preferred mobile network and keep your existing number with you.

More details at the faq - http://www.truemove.com/mnp/en/mnp-faqs.html

• Like 2

I recently changed from True to AIS, which involved having to fill in a few forms. Your current provider then will send you a special code which you have to give to your new provider and hey presto you have changed providers. All in all takes about 3 days.

I recently changed from True to AIS, which involved having to fill in a few forms. Your current provider then will send you a special code which you have to give to your new provider and hey presto you have changed providers. All in all takes about 3 days.

Thanks.

How much for changing provider? Can the original money in old one be transferred to the new one, i'm prepaid user? Where did you do that in CM?

I was on pay as you go with true and I am now on a monthly contract with AIS and did this in Bangkok. Go to your current service provider and tell them you want to change provider. They will give you a receipt/cancellation and you have to take that to your new service provider. New provider will give you a receipt and a new sim card once you have paid for payg or monthly. You will receive a text in about 2/3 days telling you the transfer is going to take place soon. Look out for when your current sim card stops working and replace it with your new sim card.

The missus did it last year on a postpaid (billable) switch from AIS to Dtac and if I remember correctly, the service charge for the switch was 200 or 300 baht. 2/3 days like others have said.

Incidentally, if you are a smartphone user, DTAC have some good deals on their "smart buffet" packages, a mixup of GB, voice and SMS with free Dtac to Dtac calls as well.

Cheers,

Pikey.

My wife wants to leave Dtac and go with AIS keeping the number she has had since 2001 as AIS is cheaper and has a better service.

Does she have to go to Dtac or AIS first?

Read my post above (Number 5), it explains the procedure in detail (hopefully) and it is in English!

My wife wants to leave Dtac and go with AIS keeping the number she has had since 2001 as AIS is cheaper and has a better service.

Does she have to go to Dtac or AIS first?

Read my post above (Number 5), it explains the procedure in detail (hopefully) and it is in English!

I am not sure how easy that will be up here in rural Thailand.

Still she is Thai and speaks the language like a native.

She will work it out or give up, I am not sure which.

I was on pay as you go with true and I am now on a monthly contract with AIS and did this in Bangkok. Go to your current service provider and tell them you want to change provider. They will give you a receipt/cancellation and you have to take that to your new service provider. New provider will give you a receipt and a new sim card once you have paid for payg or monthly. You will receive a text in about 2/3 days telling you the transfer is going to take place soon. Look out for when your current sim card stops working and replace it with your new sim card.

When in the process of transferring the number, is the phone still in current provider service?

• 3 months later...

I went to True and AIS yesterday to do just this. AIS gave me a new sim but it "isn't registered on the network" yet, but TrueMove cancelled my old sim. Any ideas when the new sim will start to work?? Is this what takes the 2/3 days that people mentioned?

Not enjoying being without a functioning phone!

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I changed from True to DTAC this week. It's not hard if you have all the information you need. Here is what you need to do to port your number from one provider to another:

1. Ensure your SIM is registered in your name and is associated with your passport number.
  2. Do this by stopping by the hall for your current provider, get them to write out what they have for your name, passport number and address.
  3. Go to the new provider and tell them you want to switch service and keep your old number.
  4. They will ask you if your SIM card is in your name, they will want to see your passport and want to know what address is associated with your SIM card.
  5. Get a new SIM card. DTAC gave me a 50 baht card for free. Don't put it in your phone yet, but carry it with you.
  6. You may or may not get a txt message saying your number has been ported. I did not get a txt.
  7. If your phone stops working on your old provider's network, put the new SIM card and add some baht to your balance and sign up for a promotion.
  • Like 1

I changed from True to DTAC this week. It's not hard if you have all the information you need. Here is what you need to do to port your number from one provider to another:

1. Ensure your SIM is registered in your name and is associated with your passport number.
  2. Do this by stopping by the hall for your current provider, get them to write out what they have for your name, passport number and address.
  3. Go to the new provider and tell them you want to switch service and keep your old number.
  4. They will ask you if your SIM card is in your name, they will want to see your passport and want to know what address is associated with your SIM card.
  5. Get a new SIM card. DTAC gave me a 50 baht card for free. Don't put it in your phone yet, but carry it with you.
  6. You may or may not get a txt message saying your number has been ported. I did not get a txt.
  7. If your phone stops working on your old provider's network, put the new SIM card and add some baht to your balance and sign up for a promotion.

That smacks too much of a police state for me. Rather than have True run down the 300 baht that I find I have to load my mobile with at ever decreasing periods of time thanks to their bloody SMS adverts that are of no interest to me at all, I'll just buy another cheap mobile with a DTAC sim and keep my anonymity safe. The only reason that I have a mobile at all is in case I am taken ill suddenly or are involved in an accident of some sort.

That smacks too much of a police state for me. Rather than have True run down the 300 baht that I find I have to load my mobile with at ever decreasing periods of time thanks to their bloody SMS adverts that are of no interest to me at all, I'll just buy another cheap mobile with a DTAC sim and keep my anonymity safe. The only reason that I have a mobile at all is in case I am taken ill suddenly or are involved in an accident of some sort.

I have to agree that the procedures are a bit too complicated for such a simple task that should have been much easier (given examples from Australia and the UK where all you need is ask your old network for a switch code and then quote it to a new network).

Perhaps the government fear that there will be number hi-jacking or something if they make it too simple. People abuse things all the time.

If I understand you corectly every time you open a sms it deducts money from your account ,I had the same problem kept topping up my account/card

but don`t use the phone so much but did not think twice about it and this went on for 2 years stupid me and I figured I lost about 1000BAHT I went to DTac in APP

they told me they could turn off these unwanted SMS`s and low and behold they stopped and the account stays loaded for longer great,it turned out that if you don`t know about this when you first purchase the sim card it autmatically is on by default hence every time one SMS is opend they take x amunt of Baht .

If I understand you corectly every time you open a sms it deducts money from your account ,I had the same problem kept topping up my account/card

but don`t use the phone so much but did not think twice about it and this went on for 2 years stupid me and I figured I lost about 1000BAHT I went to DTac in APP

they told me they could turn off these unwanted SMS`s and low and behold they stopped and the account stays loaded for longer great,it turned out that if you don`t know about this when you first purchase the sim card it autmatically is on by default hence every time one SMS is opend they take x amunt of Baht .

Wrong. Once these premium SMS messages are delivered to your phone, the credit has already been deducted.

But your last sentence is definitely not true (I don't know why many ThaiVisa folks seem to assume this is true when it is not). They cannot deduct your credit without your consent. But they can keep sending random advertised messages to your phone without telling you; by which you have to opt out yourself.

Premium messages that charge you per message requires you to respond/subscribe to them first. But some of these SMS operators trick you into subscribing by asking you to reply to their messages.

• 7 months later...

Hello,

Do you know if it's possible to transfer a number from 12call (prepaid) to Dtac (prepaid) ?

Thank you.

Yes. As long as you have registered the AIS number in your name.If you have not you need to go to the main AIS office at Central Festival with your passport, easy. Then after about 2 weeks go to the Dtac office and ask them to transfer your number over, they will check on the computer to see if your number is registered and if so it shall be done, simple.

Edited by khwaibah