Tourist Police Commander Targets Phuket Jet-Ski Rip-Offs

george

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I am showing my ignorance, but why doesn't a well-off expat cop a fine, then turn around and take the jet-ski operator to court and sue them?

Wouldn't that shake up the operators? Or is the whole system too corrupt?

What a load of BS! According to Yamaha a new jet ski is between $9k to $16K USD. http://www.yamahawaverunners.com

The owner of the jet ski that was wrecked in the accident with the yacht asked initially for ฿300,000 and settled for ฿100,000, which is almost $30,000 USD. Still a scam and always a scam, now justified by the head of the tourist police. Just as the over the top taxi and tuk tuk fares have been legitimized by the local government. But I also read that Bangkok is sending a team to take a look at all coastal property titles here. Hopefully some big heads will roll, but somehow I doubt it if the past is any indication of the future greed and corruption.

Hey Jimi. I suggest you quickly learn your exchange rates before you go back to Thailand. According to xe.com

100,000.00 THB =

3,385.25 USD

If you bothered to read, I acknowledged my mistake in post number 22. And I'm in Thailand...

Edited by Jimi007

Maybe I am showing my ignorance, but why doesn't a well-off expat cop a fine, then turn around and take the jet-ski operator to court and sue them?

You obviously have no appreciation about how long litigation can take in the Thai court system. I know cases that have not been resolved even after 10 years.

• Like 1

So it took the Chinese for action to be taken. THAT is worth noting. thumbsup.gif

It doesn't appear that any action has been taken even after this visit by the senior Chinese official "Satisfied with the explanation, Maj Gen Roy said, “The jet-ski operators provide a good service to tourists. Instructions are handed out to every tourist who rents one. However, I suggested they add Chinese to the instruction leaflets. It would be very helpful to prevent any misunderstandings.” This story reads to me that it is still business as usual and tourists will continue to be ripped off.

Not surprised. ONLY the Chinese can get things changed here. After all, China won't think twice about ****ing Thailand and the Thais over if they don't get what they want.

Slaves will only obey their masters.

Nothing has changed. They're going to hand out some leaflets in Chinese, that's all.

I don't understand why people keep renting them, after all this problems....

After everything I've read and heard, I would never hire a jetski

I don't understand why anyone would lease jet skis to tourists without clear evidence that they are experienced jet ski operators. Same goes for motorcycles. Americans, Germans, and Russians come here awash in the arrogant certainty that they have mastered anything motor driven at birth, except for their women, while the Chinese don't care if they have never tried, no exception for their women.

in many countries you need a licence to drive a jetski ... same for "big" motorcycles, so why people seem to think here, they can drive something they never did before without problems, plus the ripp-off maffia involved... should say enough not to use the "services" if you do not want a very bad turn to your holliday budget

Hmm, news to me. Can you name one country that requires a license to ride a jet ski?

Australia...at .least in WA they are watercraft.

in many countries you need a licence to drive a jetski ... same for "big" motorcycles, so why people seem to think here, they can drive something they never did before without problems, plus the ripp-off maffia involved... should say enough not to use the "services" if you do not want a very bad turn to your holliday budget

Hmm, news to me. Can you name one country that requires a license to ride a jet ski?

Australia

Holland

France
Come on guys, he only asked for 1 country. smile.png

Thailand..smile.png Thats the only relevant one..;

Technically a Thai sea captain’s license is required of anyone operating a jet-ski, but the authorities have never been willing or able to enforce the regulation in Phuket.

I don't understand why anyone would lease jet skis to tourists without clear evidence that they are experienced jet ski operators. Same goes for motorcycles. Americans, Germans, and Russians come here awash in the arrogant certainty that they have mastered anything motor driven at birth, except for their women, while the Chinese don't care if they have never tried, no exception for their women.

Aaaah ... but you are not thinking that the idea of the jet ski and vehicle rentals is to make the bigger profit from damage claims.

“The insurance company will pay for damages up to 50,000 baht, but if the repairs cost more than that, the tourists must pay the rest,” Mr Nucha said."

Yes, that's the same way I insure my new pickup - I insure it for 1/10th of its value and then when I have an accident, I make somebody else pay the rest. blink.png

Perfect Thai logic.

The insurance company sets the maximum payout.

I don't believe you.

Pay the correct premium and you can cover the cost of replacement, just like you can a car.

Some facts that are conveniently left out of this article is that in most cases the tourists are faced with intimidation and treats of violence against them.

The correct procedures during these sorts of situations are that the jetski operators should have to claim damages against the renters via the legal and court systems. Therefore, by being permitted to use fear and extreme intimidation tactics leaves this wide open for scams and abuse.

It`s simply not lawful.

My advice is; avoid renting jetskis, and put these thugs out of business.

yes we all know , but how do you tell tourist who come here for the first time for 1 to 2 weeks.,should there a a pamphlet at the airport telling tourists what not to do ?

I've rented jet skis all over the world. Okinawa...Miami...Fort Lauderdale... Waikiki...Barcelona and NEVER saw a crash...a tourist rip off or tourists roughed up and threatened. ONLY IN THAILAND!

SCUM of the earth Mafia own and rent and PROTECT each other.

Well the crash that involved the yacht did happen whether you've seen one before or not.

I witnessed this crash on Koh Samet back in January 2010. Two Russian guys were zig zagging each other at high speed when they collided. Rather than rubbing his hands in glee at a pay out, the jet ski operator looked devastated at the damage to his ski

post-163165-0-93515200-1363518946_thumb.

On the Australian Government "travel to Thailand" website is a warning about hiring jet skis and motor bikes. People should just stay away from them. I tell my Australian friends and Chinese students not to be tempted if they are coming to Thailand.

Is that a Sandman in your avatar Kevvy?

Maybe it's not only the Thais who are stupid.

In the UK "HIRE" is synonymous with "RENT". It's a language thing, not stupidity. No thanks necessary from my English friends.

What a load of BS! According to Yamaha a new jet ski is between $9k to $16K USD. http://www.yamahawaverunners.com

The owner of the jet ski that was wrecked in the accident with the yacht asked initially for ฿300,000 and settled for ฿100,000, which is almost $30,000 USD. Still a scam and always a scam, now justified by the head of the tourist police. Just as the over the top taxi and tuk tuk fares have been legitimized by the local government. But I also read that Bangkok is sending a team to take a look at all coastal property titles here. Hopefully some big heads will roll, but somehow I doubt it if the past is any indication of the future greed and corruption.

Glad to see you know you're maths! 100,000 baht is actually about 3000 dollars not 30,000
Glad to see you read all the replies. This error was pointed out many posts ago.

We all make mistakes. Chill.

Give the guy a break, his only error was to be a microsecond late in posting.

The other fifty posts pointing out the math error

just couldn't get through due to server overload.

The jetski mafia is obviously not interested in the matter going to court, so not settling on a fee on the spot will usually be dangerous to your health. (You can google the matter if you want to know how many people have been beaten by the jetski mafia) Remember the police and tourist police get a healthy share of the scam, so they will not be helping you.

As I read it's "Business as usual"...

Ok, Wait a minute !! What if.....What if These people really actually damaged the ski Jet and actually crashed into a yatch ??? Is that not also a possible scenario !!!?? And if so well yeah ... I think they should be charged ...! Why does everybody here think that the people who rent these Ski Jets are never at all at fault////? Have you ever seen or experienced driving a car let alone a Ski Jey along side a Chines Driver... :-)))... Eeekss!!

In most civilised countries any rental of cars, boats, houses etc. comes with full mandatory insurance by law. This means that whatever damage the customer does to the rented item, the rental company's insurance will cover it. This of course increases the rental price, but at the same time it eliminates conflicts and scams.

There is only one reason for Thailand not to implement full cover mandatory insurance by law, and that is that it would eliminate an important source of income for the Thai police (and certain Phuket politicians) who gets a handsome share of these scams.

There are two issues that are not being given enough attention. FIrst, what kind of moron rams a jetski into a yacht? Yachts are generally big enough to be seen from far enough away that collisions could be avoided. So I have very little sympathy for the guy who did that and I think 100,000 baht is getting off lightly. He should have been fined a million baht on top of that just for being stupid.

Second, there is the issue of insurance. Shouldn't Jetski operators have enough insurance to cover these losses? Sure there could be a deductible that would need compensation but it looks to me that the current system is just the opposite, i.e. insurance pays a minimal amount and the customer is held up for an open ended compensation.

Just saying.

There are two issues that are not being given enough attention. FIrst, what kind of moron rams a jetski into a yacht? Yachts are generally big enough to be seen from far enough away that collisions could be avoided. So I have very little sympathy for the guy who did that and I think 100,000 baht is getting off lightly. He should have been fined a million baht on top of that just for being stupid.

Second, there is the issue of insurance. Shouldn't Jetski operators have enough insurance to cover these losses? Sure there could be a deductible that would need compensation but it looks to me that the current system is just the opposite, i.e. insurance pays a minimal amount and the customer is held up for an open ended compensation.

Just saying.

A full cover insurance would increase the rental price and thereby decrease the amount of customers - at least in the mind of a Thai jetski operator, as they do not factor in customer satisfaction, reputation or repeat business. Furthermore, a full cover insurance would make it difficult for the jetski mafia to argue that the tourists should pay anything at all for damages, which means they lose out on the opportunity to overcharge the tourists. The insurance company cannot be intimidated, and will only pay for actual damage, not various overcharges.

Since a full cover insurance would eliminate intimidation and overcharges (not to mention assaults etc.) the police and local politicians would no longer get a piece of the pie, which is probably why noone is pushing for full cover insurance.

The current insurance is most likely quite cheap for the operator as it has a small coverage. Further it gives the tourists a false sense of security, and still ensures that the operator can extort any amount he wants from the tourists, and thereby that the police and local politicians continue to get their share.

Just saying.

A full cover insurance would increase the rental price and thereby decrease the amount of customers - at least in the mind of a Thai jetski operator, as they do not factor in customer satisfaction, reputation or repeat business. Furthermore, a full cover insurance would make it difficult for the jetski mafia to argue that the tourists should pay anything at all for damages, which means they lose out on the opportunity to overcharge the tourists. The insurance company cannot be intimidated, and will only pay for actual damage, not various overcharges.

Since a full cover insurance would eliminate intimidation and overcharges (not to mention assaults etc.) the police and local politicians would no longer get a piece of the pie, which is probably why noone is pushing for full cover insurance.

The current insurance is most likely quite cheap for the operator as it has a small coverage. Further it gives the tourists a false sense of security, and still ensures that the operator can extort any amount he wants from the tourists, and thereby that the police and local politicians continue to get their share.

Very good analysis. Well written and completely correct.

300,000 Baht @ 29.56 = 10,149 USD so it falls in line with your Quote of 16K USD, as 100,000 Baht @ same rate (29.56) = 3,383 USD. I see no issue with what operator claimed other then some one else needs to sharpen there Calculator or change BATTERIES!

300,000 Baht @ 29.56 = 10,149 USD so it falls in line with your Quote of 16K USD, as 100,000 Baht @ same rate (29.56) = 3,383 USD. I see no issue with what operator claimed other then some one else needs to sharpen there Calculator or change BATTERIES!

Read post 22