BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
george

Tourist Police Commander Targets Phuket Jet-Ski Rip-Offs

Not surprised. ONLY the Chinese can get things changed here. After all, China won't think twice about ****ing Thailand and the Thais over if they don't get what they want.

Slaves will only obey their masters.

Maybe I am showing my ignorance, but why doesn't a well-off expat cop a fine, then turn around and take the jet-ski operator to court and sue them?

Wouldn't that shake up the operators? Or is the whole system too corrupt?

What a load of BS! According to Yamaha a new jet ski is between $9k to $16K USD. http://www.yamahawaverunners.com

The owner of the jet ski that was wrecked in the accident with the yacht asked initially for ฿300,000 and settled for ฿100,000, which is almost $30,000 USD. Still a scam and always a scam, now justified by the head of the tourist police. Just as the over the top taxi and tuk tuk fares have been legitimized by the local government. But I also read that Bangkok is sending a team to take a look at all coastal property titles here. Hopefully some big heads will roll, but somehow I doubt it if the past is any indication of the future greed and corruption.

Hey Jimi. I suggest you quickly learn your exchange rates before you go back to Thailand. According to xe.com

100,000.00 THB =

3,385.25 USD

If you bothered to read, I acknowledged my mistake in post number 22. And I'm in Thailand...

Edited by Jimi007

Maybe I am showing my ignorance, but why doesn't a well-off expat cop a fine, then turn around and take the jet-ski operator to court and sue them?

Wouldn't that shake up the operators? Or is the whole system too corrupt?

You obviously have no appreciation about how long litigation can take in the Thai court system. I know cases that have not been resolved even after 10 years.

• Like 1

So it took the Chinese for action to be taken. THAT is worth noting. thumbsup.gif

they also got nothing just the usual being ripped off.

So it took the Chinese for action to be taken. THAT is worth noting. thumbsup.gif

It doesn't appear that any action has been taken even after this visit by the senior Chinese official "Satisfied with the explanation, Maj Gen Roy said, “The jet-ski operators provide a good service to tourists. Instructions are handed out to every tourist who rents one. However, I suggested they add Chinese to the instruction leaflets. It would be very helpful to prevent any misunderstandings.” This story reads to me that it is still business as usual and tourists will continue to be ripped off.

Not surprised. ONLY the Chinese can get things changed here. After all, China won't think twice about ****ing Thailand and the Thais over if they don't get what they want.

Slaves will only obey their masters.

Nothing has changed. They're going to hand out some leaflets in Chinese, that's all.

I don't understand why people keep renting them, after all this problems....

After everything I've read and heard, I would never hire a jetski

I don't understand why anyone would lease jet skis to tourists without clear evidence that they are experienced jet ski operators. Same goes for motorcycles. Americans, Germans, and Russians come here awash in the arrogant certainty that they have mastered anything motor driven at birth, except for their women, while the Chinese don't care if they have never tried, no exception for their women.

in many countries you need a licence to drive a jetski ... same for "big" motorcycles, so why people seem to think here, they can drive something they never did before without problems, plus the ripp-off maffia involved... should say enough not to use the "services" if you do not want a very bad turn to your holliday budget

Hmm, news to me. Can you name one country that requires a license to ride a jet ski?

Australia...at .least in WA they are watercraft.

in many countries you need a licence to drive a jetski ... same for "big" motorcycles, so why people seem to think here, they can drive something they never did before without problems, plus the ripp-off maffia involved... should say enough not to use the "services" if you do not want a very bad turn to your holliday budget

Hmm, news to me. Can you name one country that requires a license to ride a jet ski?

Australia

Holland

France
Come on guys, he only asked for 1 country. smile.png

Thailand..smile.png Thats the only relevant one..;

Technically a Thai sea captain’s license is required of anyone operating a jet-ski, but the authorities have never been willing or able to enforce the regulation in Phuket.

Because the jet ski scam videos on Youtube are in English.

I don't understand why anyone would lease jet skis to tourists without clear evidence that they are experienced jet ski operators. Same goes for motorcycles. Americans, Germans, and Russians come here awash in the arrogant certainty that they have mastered anything motor driven at birth, except for their women, while the Chinese don't care if they have never tried, no exception for their women.

Aaaah ... but you are not thinking that the idea of the jet ski and vehicle rentals is to make the bigger profit from damage claims.

“The insurance company will pay for damages up to 50,000 baht, but if the repairs cost more than that, the tourists must pay the rest,” Mr Nucha said."

Yes, that's the same way I insure my new pickup - I insure it for 1/10th of its value and then when I have an accident, I make somebody else pay the rest. blink.png

Perfect Thai logic.

The insurance company sets the maximum payout.

I don't believe you.

Pay the correct premium and you can cover the cost of replacement, just like you can a car.

Some facts that are conveniently left out of this article is that in most cases the tourists are faced with intimidation and treats of violence against them.

The correct procedures during these sorts of situations are that the jetski operators should have to claim damages against the renters via the legal and court systems. Therefore, by being permitted to use fear and extreme intimidation tactics leaves this wide open for scams and abuse.

It`s simply not lawful.

My advice is; avoid renting jetskis, and put these thugs out of business.

yes we all know , but how do you tell tourist who come here for the first time for 1 to 2 weeks.,should there a a pamphlet at the airport telling tourists what not to do ?