Love Eating Prawns? You'll Go Right Off Them After We Tell You What They Are Fed On

Boater

• 'I'll never eat a king prawn again' says Wickens after seeing Thai prawn trade
  • The environment is left devastated and polluted by unscrupulous trawlers

• Trafficked labourers from Burma and Cambodia work in appalling conditions

These days we pick up a packet of frozen prawns from the supermarket almost without thinking. They’re healthy, flavour-some and cheap enough to count as an affordable treat, perhaps on a skewer for a barbecue or daintily arranged for a dinner party starter.

If we give even a moment’s thought about where they come from we probably imagine a sun-burnished fisherman skilfully tossing his nets out into the tropical waters of the Indian Ocean or South China Sea before hauling in his valuable catch.

Nothing, I’m afraid, could be further from the truth.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2294246/Love-eating-prawns-Youll-right-tell-THEY-fed-on.html#ixzz2NhWUW6gs
  • Like 1

The majority of prawns/shimp eaten are farmed prawns rather then caught in the ocean as the article above suggests. Though can't, at this stage, nail that statistic.

BTW ... The global annual production of freshwater prawns in 2010 was about 670,000 tons, of which China produced 615,000 tons (92%).

Here

I love prawns. The ones I catch seem to like catfood right out of the can. I've still got a couple of 5 pound bags in the deep freeze back in Canada. I'll be eating them in a month's time. But, the best ones are fresh from the ocean... and preferably a Canadian ocean. I seldom eat fish in Thailand because I'm spoiled in British Columbia where I usually eat what I catch myself.

• Like 2

The majority of prawns/shimp eaten are farmed prawns rather then caught in the ocean as the article above suggests. Though can't, at this stage, nail that statistic.

BTW ... The global annual production of freshwater prawns in 2010 was about 670,000 tons, of which China produced 615,000 tons (92%).

Here

The majority of the sold prawns are from the sea......my wife always asks in the restaurant and always they say talay (beach). They won't lie or?

By the way my parents on holidays in Croatia looking in the supermarket where the locals buy.....it is full with prawns from Thailand.

So you sit at the beautiful beach restaurant, look at the nice fisherboats, see the fishermen doing...doing....doing nothing, have the idyllic smell of fish market in your nose, order prawns and get exactly the same antibiotics prawn as in Thailand....

Australian National University professor of infectious diseases Peter
Collignon said that while the fish had low levels of antibiotics, it
was a problem. ''If you are taking them into your intestine, they
could have some effect on your own [bacteria] in your bowel and it can
leave your own bacteria that used to be sensitive to antibiotics
resistant,'' he said. ''Perversely, continuous low levels of
antibiotics can be worse than a one-off dose.''

Professor Collignon criticised the federal department for
its low levels of testing for dangerous chemicals. The department's
figures show that in the last six months of 2011, it conducted just
209 tests for fluoroquinolones (types of antibiotic) and two for
chloramphenicol, which in rare cases can trigger a fatal disease.

Professor Collignon said the department was not testing
enough and the failure rate of the antibiotics tests - about 4 per cent
- was too high.

''I think that sort of failure rate is atrocious,'' he said.
''They are hardly doing any tests. How many tonnes of seafood do we
import, for god's sake? When you look at the tonnes of stuff we import
and the 4 per cent failure rate, there's a problem.''

He added that 24 tests in six months for E. coli in Chinese food was not enough.

Australia is now a net importer of seafood and heavily
reliant on prawns and fish from countries such as China, Thailand and
Vietnam. Fish and seafood imports grew 12 per cent from 2007-08 to
2010-11. Seafood imports from Vietnam increased $10 million in the last
financial year to $162 million.

They're the cockarochs of the ocean. Every time I hear of someone getting sick from food I ask if they ate shrimp. I'd say 75% of the time I'm right. That said and done, I've got no problems what others eat, as they let me eat what I want

Guys ... believe what you want ... but I do have a little inside information about the dealings that go on in a Prawn/Shrimp Farm.

Antibiotics ... Ha !

You think that, given the costs of production the average Thai Farmer could afford that ... <deleted>.

When you eat a Thai Farm Prawn ... you are getting the best that nature can provide ... they have to be strong to survive!

Guys ... believe what you want ... but I do have a little inside information about the dealings that go on in a Prawn/Shrimp Farm.

Antibiotics ... Ha !

You think that, given the costs of production the average Thai Farmer could afford that ... <deleted>.

When you eat a Thai Farm Prawn ... you are getting the best that nature can provide ... they have to be strong to survive!

david have a look at this

http://au.news.yahoo.com/today-tonight/latest/article/-/16329641/imported-seafood-concerns/

Rather depends where you are. On my morning ride at 6am restaurant owners and market traders are down on the bridge buying prawns from the fishermen. That's in Chonburi city. I imagine it's the same at all coastal places. If you live inland maybe even Bangkok then you are probably eating farmed prawns.

In a chain restaurant in Chonburi in the mall the wife said the prawns were CP frozen prawns. Are they farmed ?

You would never eat Canadian Pink salmon in a can if you saw how they were processed, but there is not a better salmon than a Pink if it has been freshly caught with a fly rod. That goes for a lot of processed foods.

Antibiotics ... Ha !

david have a look at this

http://au.news.yahoo.com/today-tonight/latest/article/-/16329641/imported-seafood-concerns/

Did have a quick look at that ... though I have to show my prejudices as soon as I saw it was a 'Today-Tonight' researched article ... ermm.gif

The article mentioned talks about 'Asian' seafood without any specific mention of Thailand.

You would never eat Canadian Pink salmon in a can if you saw how they were processed, but there is not a better salmon than a Pink if it has been freshly caught with a fly rod. That goes for a lot of processed foods.

I read a few articles that imply that the New Zealand catch of Salmon is of a superior quality then that of Canadian variety.

I read a few articles that imply that the New Zealand catch of Salmon is of a superior quality then that of Canadian variety.

I would say Alaskan is the best but when it comes to mussels (green lip) and oysters (Bluff oysters) NZ has the best. Best shrimp is a close call but I would go for Hudson bay if pushed. Best Crayfish would be from the Kaikoura region of NZ while the best crawfish would come from the Bayou Louisiana.
  • Like 1

I would say Alaskan is the best but when it comes to mussels (green lip) and oysters (Bluff oysters) NZ has the best. Best shrimp is a close call but I would go for Hudson bay if pushed. Best Crayfish would be from the Kaikoura region of NZ while the best crawfish would come from the Bayou Louisiana.

This guy knows his seafood (to be trusted) ... BUT i would introduce him to the 'Cromer Crab' ... best in the world and tasiest by far. ; ) (Freshly caught only - if you can stand the smelliness) I could ... divine straight for cooking. (Oops - that could be my 'hungry' button coming on - totally your fault LOL ... but do check out the 'Cromer'. - would be cool to know what you think)

• Like 1

And "If Slaughterhouses had Glass Walls", we'd all eat less meat. Google the part in quotes.

Ran into a guy one time in my travels that sells manure sweeteners for converting animal manure into animal feed.

Head off to many countries and they use their own (unrefined) poop to fertilize the vegetables they'll soon be eating.

In most developed countries, they use sewage to make fertilizers.

It's all about getting food to the masses at the lowest possible cost (not the lowest selling price) and greatest profit.

Sadly, I have neither the time, the land, nor the skillsets to grow my own food.

I was going to read the article until I saw it was the Daily Fail. What's causes cancer this week ? They've done virtually every vegetable and material known to man.

In 1988 potatoes gave you cancer. But a year later the potatoes were given the ok as it was discovered it was the meat people were eating them with. I think meat's ok to eat in 2013 but it has to have been killed humanely. LoL, if we listened to all this tripe over the years we'd be eating nothing but grass (so long as it wasn't the fertilized kind)

This guy knows his seafood (to be trusted) ... BUT i would introduce him to the 'Cromer Crab' ... best in the world and tasiest by far. ; ) (Freshly caught only - if you can stand the smelliness) I could ... divine straight for cooking. (Oops - that could be my 'hungry' button coming on - totally your fault LOL ... but do check out the 'Cromer'. - would be cool to know what you think)
Not had it. I'll be in the UK during the summer and will more than likely pop over to NL via Harwich and that journey will be from the north of England. This puts Cromer fairly close to my path. I'm very partial to crab and of a patient disposition so I have no problem putting in the time and effort. The Alaskan king crab is damn good as is the Australian mud crab.

To get back on topic. I regularly manage to pick up a kilo of shrimp straight of the boat at the fish market. What are other people paying?

Edited by notmyself

You would never eat Canadian Pink salmon in a can if you saw how they were processed, but there is not a better salmon than a Pink if it has been freshly caught with a fly rod. That goes for a lot of processed foods. I read a few articles that imply that the New Zealand catch of Salmon is of a superior quality then that of Canadian variety.I would say Alaskan is the best but when it comes to mussels (green lip) and oysters (Bluff oysters) NZ has the best. Best shrimp is a close call but I would go for Hudson bay if pushed. Best Crayfish would be from the Kaikoura region of NZ while the best crawfish would come from the Bayou Louisiana.This guy knows his seafood (to be trusted) ... BUT i would introduce him to the 'Cromer Crab' ... best in the world and tasiest by far. ; ) (Freshly caught only - if you can stand the smelliness) I could ... divine straight for cooking. (Oops - that could be my 'hungry' button coming on - totally your fault LOL ... but do check out the 'Cromer'. - would be cool to know what you think)Not had it. I'll be in the UK during the summer and will more than likely pop over to NL via Harwich and that journey will be from the north of England. This puts Cromer fairly close to my path. I'm very partial to crab and of a patient disposition so I have no problem putting in the time and effort. The Alaskan king crab is damn good as is the Australian mud crab.To get back on topic. I regularly manage to pick up a kilo of shrimp straight of the boat at the fish market. What are other people paying?

Dressed crab from Corner.

Simply the best