Love Eating Prawns? You'll Go Right Off Them After We Tell You What They Are Fed On

Boater

The majority of prawns/shimp eaten are farmed prawns rather then caught in the ocean as the article above suggests. Though can't, at this stage, nail that statistic.

BTW ... The global annual production of freshwater prawns in 2010 was about 670,000 tons, of which China produced 615,000 tons (92%).

Here

As you note, that China figure referes only to freshwater shrimp. As I recall, Thailand is the biggest exporter of (marine) shrimp/shrimp products in the world, around 500,000 mt (off the top of my head).

As for shrimp here, farmed versus wild caught. If you are eating the so called white leg shrimp - its farmed as its not a native species. The giant tiger prawn is both farmed and wild caught.

Interestingly, only farmed shrimp can be exported to US.

The majority of prawns/shimp eaten are farmed prawns rather then caught in the ocean as the article above suggests. Though can't, at this stage, nail that statistic.

BTW ... The global annual production of freshwater prawns in 2010 was about 670,000 tons, of which China produced 615,000 tons (92%).

Here

"The majority of prawns/shimp eaten are farmed prawns rather then caught in the ocean as the article above suggests"

the article suggests no such thing, try reading it.

One of the main points of the article is the labour they use ie Burmese fisherman who work 12 hour days 7 days a week and are sometimes thrown over board if sick !

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

I was ready to give this article a chance, but when the writer used words like 'heart wrenching' about seeing a bunch of fish in a net, then you knew it was written by a crazy 'green' dickwad who think we should all live on soybeans.

Amen...in the US, there are vegans who won't even pick an apple from a tree as they view that as "killing" the apple...they prefer to wait until it drops to the ground on it's own before eating it...and remember "Soylent Green" is people....:)

I was going to read the article until I saw it was the Daily Fail. What's causes cancer this week ? They've done virtually every vegetable and material known to man.

If one wants to really send the writer of this bleeding heart article over the edge, have him cover a story about how Thais get their pork...they go to the local slaughterhouse early in the AM and select a pig that's in a stack of many and they are all in rigormortis as they were slaughtered within the past hour. The best tasting pork I ever had; sweet and tender.

Just de-vein them take that black stick of crap out.

+1...Buy them already fully cleaned.

Do you really think that any of the shrimp used in Thai cooking are de-veined?

Probably not, but if someone is so sensitive to not eat a prawn that has it's vein in it, then they should cook at home. I love seafood, only usually eat it when I am near the sea for freshness and have never had food poisioning in 7 years.

I will probably be in hospital next week with some gastro killer after saying that,

Probably not, but if someone is so sensitive to not eat a prawn that has it's vein in it, then they should cook at home. I love seafood, only usually eat it when I am near the sea for freshness and have never had food poisioning in 7 years.

I will probably be in hospital next week with some gastro killer after saying that,

Don't Jinx yourself.. some things are better unsaid.

• Like 1

This guy just discover the word !

Check meat industry and it is worst.

I don't care the slave labors and pollution if my shrimps are good and not full of antibiotics just as the meat you eat, you cannibal !

Nothing interesting on this page.

Edited by Fgis

Guys ... believe what you want ... but I do have a little inside information about the dealings that go on in a Prawn/Shrimp Farm.

Antibiotics ... Ha !

You think that, given the costs of production the average Thai Farmer could afford that ... <deleted>.

When you eat a Thai Farm Prawn ... you are getting the best that nature can provide ... they have to be strong to survive!

If Thai Farm Prawn is the best nature can provide I`ll become a vegan bah.gif !!

Here

"The majority of prawns/shimp eaten are farmed prawns rather then caught in the ocean as the article above suggests"

Yes ... I did read it ... and do you know what ... I had the audacity to say that the article contained some inaccurate information ... rolleyes.gif

When you eat a Thai Farm Prawn ... you are getting the best that nature can provide ... they have to be strong to survive!

If Thai Farm Prawn is the best nature can provide I`ll become a vegan bah.gif !!

Ah Yahooka ... there was a little tongue in cheek hidden there.

One of the main points of the article is the labour they use ie Burmese fisherman who work 12 hour days 7 days a week and are sometimes thrown over board if sick !

Yes ... not the first that I have heard of this practise ... so sad that potentially continues today.

Ah Yahooka ... there was a little tongue in cheek hidden there.

Sorry wai2.gif ............English is not my main language.

I part of the article I am calling BS on is the undercover investigation bit and throwing himself over board into the sea to be picked up by Thai fishing boats...

but do Burmese/other fishermen get throw over board from Thai fishing boats..yes certainly... I work the gulf of Thailand and know of reported cases of bodies floating out at sea and some have bullet holes in them...wink.png

my overall impression of this article is some hystrical/scare mongering tree hugger "jouro" traying to make a name for himself, should get himself back to the UK and do some reporting on the horse meat in tesco's burgers...thumbsup.gif

Here

Yes ... I did read it ... and do you know what ... I had the audacity to say that the article contained some inaccurate information ... rolleyes.gif

Apparently not as inaccurate as your statement.

• 4 weeks later...

It's some lazy arsed Daily Mule journo who got himself a nice paid holiday because he basically plagiarised the work of Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall, who is concerned that Thai fishermen are basically just raping the sea bed because the stuff they can't sell - the so called "trash fish" - are being sold to be ground into meal for the Prawn farms.

He's essentially trying to promote sustainable fishing, which I don't think is a bad thing. The Thais will just keep taking, taking, taking, then try and blame everyone else because they've decimated their entire aquatic ecosystem.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/hughs-fish-fight/4od#3494901

• 4 months later...

Guys ... believe what you want ... but I do have a little inside information about the dealings that go on in a Prawn/Shrimp Farm.

Antibiotics ... Ha !

You think that, given the costs of production the average Thai Farmer could afford that ... &lt;deleted&gt;.

cant agree. stopped eating thai prawns long ago, due to chemical residues that destroy the gut flora and give you piles. dont know the source, just the well shown effect. dont know about now because still i dont eat them.

just one of the many of in thailand, now dont dos when before twas good.

dont get me started on oysters, the story is even worse. yes now dont eat them at all too..

Rather depends where you are. On my morning ride at 6am restaurant owners and market traders are down on the bridge buying prawns from the fishermen. That's in Chonburi city. I imagine it's the same at all coastal places. If you live inland maybe even Bangkok then you are probably eating farmed prawns.

In a chain restaurant in Chonburi in the mall the wife said the prawns were CP frozen prawns. Are they farmed ?

you would knowingly eat things that come out of the sea in chonburi! do you have a third eye or second head sprouting yetcrazy.gif

You would never eat Canadian Pink salmon in a can if you saw how they were processed, but there is not a better salmon than a Pink if it has been freshly caught with a fly rod. That goes for a lot of processed foods.

I read a few articles that imply that the New Zealand catch of Salmon is of a superior quality then that of Canadian variety.

I would say Alaskan is the best but when it comes to mussels (green lip) and oysters (Bluff oysters) NZ has the best. Best shrimp is a close call but I would go for Hudson bay if pushed. Best Crayfish would be from the Kaikoura region of NZ while the best crawfish would come from the Bayou Louisiana.

This guy knows his seafood (to be trusted) ... BUT i would introduce him to the 'Cromer Crab' ... best in the world and tasiest by far. ; ) (Freshly caught only - if you can stand the smelliness) I could ... divine straight for cooking. (Oops - that could be my 'hungry' button coming on - totally your fault LOL ... but do check out the 'Cromer'. - would be cool to know what you think)

ever cooked a bombay duck (type of dried fish) ? talk about stench,blink.png but still tastes divine.

Here

As you note, that China figure referes only to freshwater shrimp. As I recall, Thailand is the biggest exporter of (marine) shrimp/shrimp products in the world, around 500,000 mt (off the top of my head).

As for shrimp here, farmed versus wild caught. If you are eating the so called white leg shrimp - its farmed as its not a native species. The giant tiger prawn is both farmed and wild caught.

Interestingly, only farmed shrimp can be exported to US.

think its something to do with dolphin by-catch used as an excuse for local production protection could be wrong.

• 4 months later...

Hello,

Can you tell me if the very big giant tiger prawn can be farmed (with antibiotics and pesticide) or if by any chance they come from the sea ?

I really mean the biggest, around 300g each (3 for 1 kilo, 2000 thb/kg) that are difficult to find outside Pattaya.

I am thinking that maybe they are caught in the sea to be so difficult to find in restaurants ?

Thank you.

• 8 months later...

I love prawns. The ones I catch seem to like catfood right out of the can. I've still got a couple of 5 pound bags in the deep freeze back in Canada. I'll be eating them in a month's time. But, the best ones are fresh from the ocean... and preferably a Canadian ocean. I seldom eat fish in Thailand because I'm spoiled in British Columbia where I usually eat what I catch myself.

The best ones in the world for taste are Mediterranean prawns. Not so big but taste wise they beat every other prawn around . Google gamberi rossi