New Regulation Does Not Require 6 Months Validity For Passport?

• 6 months later...

I'm getting into a very bad habit of discovering what I don't know until it's too late.

I live in Chiang Mai with my wife - I'm 43, and most recently did the visa run in Laos to get 90 days. my last 90 days elapses on 11th June, and my passport elapses 21st September.

Everyone was telling my wife & I that you just nip into the emassy (British) to get the passport sorted, but this appears not to be the case. Apparently, it takes 6 weeks to get the passport sorted?

Any ideas?

I'm getting into a very bad habit of discovering what I don't know until it's too late.

I live in Chiang Mai with my wife - I'm 43, and most recently did the visa run in Laos to get 90 days. my last 90 days elapses on 11th June, and my passport elapses 21st September.

Everyone was telling my wife & I that you just nip into the emassy (British) to get the passport sorted, but this appears not to be the case. Apparently, it takes 6 weeks to get the passport sorted?

Any ideas?

You will have trouble going to Laos with the laos side not for this reason on the Thai side. I would start the process of the passport going. It will be needed whatever happens. You may get it in time as times do vary.

Any ideas?

You will have trouble going to Laos with the laos side not for this reason on the Thai side. I would start the process of the passport going. It will be needed whatever happens. You may get it in time as times do vary.

Thanks harry,

What troubles me is what I can do to extend my stay here until the new passport arrives? Or should I go to a different country? Am I likey to get any help from the Chiang Mai visa bods? Can't go back to the UK; nothing there! Looks like I need to find a way to stay here for 6 weeks until my passport arrives.

Any ideas/help appreciated.

Any ideas?

Thanks harry,

What troubles me is what I can do to extend my stay here until the new passport arrives? Or should I go to a different country? Am I likey to get any help from the Chiang Mai visa bods? Can't go back to the UK; nothing there! Looks like I need to find a way to stay here for 6 weeks until my passport arrives.

Any ideas/help appreciated.

If you wife is Thai you can get a 60 day extension of stay to visit her.

She need to go with you when you apply. You will need your marriage certificate, you wife's house book and ID card plus copies.

• 1 year later...

Anyone knows the latest on this. I'm looking ahead.

I have been on retirement extensions for a few years now.

My passport expires on July 22 2018.

My yearly extensions are on July 4th. (so I'm good for the 2016 extension)

But what about the 2017 extension.

I'm sure i will not travel in the 6 months before my passport expires.

If your passport is valid for the duration of the extension applied for then the extension will be given.

If your passport is valid for the duration of the extension applied for then the extension will be given.

That's what I'm thinking but need some input from you guys.

And of course I'll ASK at the next extension.

Sent from my Vi10Pro using Tapatalk

You can apply for the extension this with passport validity you have now if July 4th is the date your current one ends. Then when you have about 6 months validity left on it yous should apply for a new one dependent upon how how long it takes to get a new one.

You can apply for the extension this with passport validity you have now if July 4th is the date your current one ends. Then when you have about 6 months validity left on it yous should apply for a new one dependent upon how how long it takes to get a new one.

That's what I figured out and going to do.

Thanks Sunnyjim and Joe

I did a border run last Saturday at Chom Chon first one for 4 to 5 years. Officer on re -entry looked at my passport and said,to my horror "you cant go anywhere" you haven,t got 6 months left on your passport. My Passport expires on the 4th July. I went straight on the defensive and said so why did the Thai embassy in London issue me with a Double Entry tourist visa on the 30th September last year knowing that i couldn,t use it? Put in travel date 2nd December return 29th March. He didn,t speak any more English after my comment and just summoned another Officer who repeated his initial statement. I am now speechless,which was probably a good thing. My wife then pleaded my case saying that i had a yellow book had lived here previously for 3 years had extensions in my passport owned a house a car and was returning to the uk on the 29th March. After a good 15 minutes he reluctantly stamped me in. An experience i never want to repeat.

I did a border run last Saturday at Chom Chon first one for 4 to 5 years. Officer on re -entry looked at my passport and said,to my horror "you cant go anywhere" you haven,t got 6 months left on your passport. My Passport expires on the 4th July. I went straight on the defensive and said so why did the Thai embassy in London issue me with a Double Entry tourist visa on the 30th September last year knowing that i couldn,t use it? Put in travel date 2nd December return 29th March. He didn,t speak any more English after my comment and just summoned another Officer who repeated his initial statement. I am now speechless,which was probably a good thing. My wife then pleaded my case saying that i had a yellow book had lived here previously for 3 years had extensions in my passport owned a house a car and was returning to the uk on the 29th March. After a good 15 minutes he reluctantly stamped me in. An experience i never want to repeat.

Thanks. Fortunately I'll have a chance to get a new passport if needed.

• 2 months later...

You don't need a passport with 6 months validity to travel to Thailand. The passport need to be valid only on the durating of travel. You must have a return ticket.

I came to this page for help, because my passport expires in less than 3 months and I was able to travel last week to Bangkok, but you need to check with your airline. Some airlines don't allow you to check in.

Hope this helps.

Immigration was nice enough to let my sister in a few weeks ago on an expired passport :o

She left one country to visit Vietnam on her Diplomatic passport (which typically requires "courtesy" visas for places like Thailand where normal passport does not) which was completely full (but Vietnam issued a visa on an extra page; Thailand does not).... so she only realized her normal passport was expired on arrival. The immigration officer was nice enough to allow her in to visit.

Immigration was nice enough to let my sister in a few weeks ago on an expired passport ohmy.png

She left one country to visit Vietnam on her Diplomatic passport (which typically requires "courtesy" visas for places like Thailand where normal passport does not) which was completely full (but Vietnam issued a visa on an extra page; Thailand does not).... so she only realized her normal passport was expired on arrival. The immigration officer was nice enough to allow her in to visit.

Are you sure she did not enter on her diplomatic passport? Thailand allows a visa exempt entry with a official/diplomatic passport for those from some countries. Ohter countries get longer stays with a official/diplomatic under bilateral agreements. See: http://www.consular.go.th/main/th/customize/62281-Summary-of-Countries-and-Territories-entitled-for.html (read the remarks at the bottom of the page)

Immigration was nice enough to let my sister in a few weeks ago on an expired passport ohmy.png

Are you sure she did not enter on her diplomatic passport? Thailand allows a visa exempt entry with a official/diplomatic passport for those from some countries. Ohter countries get longer stays with a official/diplomatic under bilateral agreements. See: http://www.consular.go.th/main/th/customize/62281-Summary-of-Countries-and-Territories-entitled-for.html (read the remarks at the bottom of the page)

When entering on her diplomatic passport she always has a visa (Thailand requires it for Canada, but it is often not enforced) - Thai visas make up a good portion of her entries since she is posted in the region. She said she entered on her regular and was worried for a bit after finding it was expired she would not be allowed but immigration let her in. My nephew (other sister; kid) entered on a diplomatic passport without a visa because his normal passport was expired (a year ago). The benefit of using a diplomatic passport while visiting is that although you are "required" to get a visa to many countries where a normal passport has visa waiver - you get to enter using the diplomatic queue (you do not get diplomatic immunity since that is reserved for those with credentials in the country).

When entering on her diplomatic passport she always has a visa (Thailand requires it for Canada, but it is often not enforced) - Thai visas make up a good portion of her entries since she is posted in the region. She said she entered on her regular and was worried for a bit after finding it was expired she would not be allowed but immigration let her in. My nephew (other sister; kid) entered on a diplomatic passport without a visa because his normal passport was expired (a year ago). The benefit of using a diplomatic passport while visiting is that although you are "required" to get a visa to many countries where a normal passport has visa waiver - you get to enter using the diplomatic queue (you do not get diplomatic immunity since that is reserved for those with credentials in the country).

Not sure how she was able to enter on an expired passport.

Thailand does allow those that are from countries that get a visa exempt entry to enter on a diplomatic passport. The following is from page I posted a link to.

" ** If such nationals enter the Kingdom at the immigration checkpoints which border neighboring countries, they will be allowed to stay for 15 days each time, except (1) Malaysian nationals who cross the borderline from Malaysia, (2) Nationals of the G7 countries: USA, UK, Canada, France, Germany, Italy and Japan, whose granted period of stay will not exceed 30 days each time.In addition, such nationals who hold diplomatic and official passports are also practically exempted from visa for tourism."

Not sure how she was able to enter on an expired passport.

Thailand does allow those that are from countries that get a visa exempt entry to enter on a diplomatic passport. The following is from page I posted a link to.

" ** If such nationals enter the Kingdom at the immigration checkpoints which border neighboring countries, they will be allowed to stay for 15 days each time, except (1) Malaysian nationals who cross the borderline from Malaysia, (2) Nationals of the G7 countries: USA, UK, Canada, France, Germany, Italy and Japan, whose granted period of stay will not exceed 30 days each time.In addition, such nationals who hold diplomatic and official passports are also practically exempted from visa for tourism."

Maybe they made the entry on their computers for the diplomatic passport and stamped the regular passport. I know the Vietnam visa which she was told could be on an extra (not in passport) page was actually put in the passport - they just covered one of the Thai visas (something that they were not suppose to do) .... there was no square millimeter of open space.