Fear Of Attacks On Phuket's New Airport Buses Delays Launch Date

Lite Beer

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

so in other words they are gonna "compensate the tuk tuk and taxi drivers for their losses ?

its time that the taxis and tuk tuks came target for practice like that , hell threatening in public with attacks should be reason for the gov to arrest every single one of those pathetic child minded criminals

• Like 2

TAT ADVERTISEMENT

Come to Phuket. We have armed guards on the busses to counter any attacks from the taxi mafia so you get from the airport to the beach safely.

Enjoy your stay in the land of smiles.

• Like 1

For me, the only thing surprising about this is that it got as far as it did. I would've guessed that the tuk-tuk/taxi guys would have crushed it long before this point.

No, because someone made a lot of money selling the buses to the city. We know and they know, the bus service will not happen.

• Like 2

Embassies should take note of the situation and put out warnings to their citizens about the escalating dangers of taking a holiday in Thailand.

The thugs have taken over.

Cambodia, Vietnam and Burma are poised to take the tourist windfall away from Thailand.

Good.

• Like 1

"Instead, the committee supported the suggestion by its chairman, Phuket Vice Governor Chamroen Tipayapongtada, that local tuk-tuk and taxi
drivers be consulted first before approving any official steps toward launching the new service.
“I am worried that there will be attacks [on the bus drivers],” V/Gov Chamroen explained to the meeting.
“I am especially worried about the tuk-tuk and taxi drivers in Kata-Karon,” he added."

Welcome to Zululand

Once you start to back down to the likes of the mob, you might as well resign your position, and get a man in to do the job. Or let some Tuk Tuk driver govern the country. Come to think of it, that might be a good idea.giggle.gif

WOW.

Here is an interesting site detailing the numerous incidents of TukTuk assaults / gang beatings, intimidation, blockades, thuggery, robbery, fraud and general crime by the islands transport company.

http://phukettuktuks.com/

I will personally mail this link to the US Embassy Citizens Services and ask they put Phuket on the NO GO list.

• Like 2

I just can't see the politicians ( and their sons that run the "tuk tuk associations") wanting to give up their 6 million a month in "association fees" to provide better service to the public and local working Thais. That takes food off their table!

Edited by steelepulse

So we now know who really runs Phuket, Tuk tuk and taxi drivers!

That's like saying that a private in the army runs the battalion. Control is based a lot further up the food chain. The fact that nothing is done to control the biggest source of complaints from tourists is an indication just how far up the food chain that control is based.

• Like 2

Are those buses in the picture the repainted buses that were used in Pattaya but disapeared as fast as they were introduced.

Pattaya has a regular bus service to the airport and back -either from Pattaya Nua station or from Jomtien. I would use it even more if there would be decent parking at the station....

I agree, waste off effort. Can you imagine those busses stopping every 20 meteres down Patong beach ? Or anywhere in Phuket for that matter. They are too big. The only way to solve the traffic issue is the Pattaya style songthaews ! (But it won't happen)..

seems that you haven't been to Pattaya recently......

If mob rule and protests are the only thing that gets local officials to act, then ordinary Thais need to grow a pair and hold a pro-bus protest.

If kissing the posteriors of the tuk tuk taxi mafia (must be one family behind all this) is not going to change, why not keep the peace and elevate some of the most influential drivers to man the buses?

No problem from my end. The effin taxi mafia in both Phuket and Pattaya will NEVER see any of my tourist Dollars (Baht).

I think you'll find that comparing Phuket and Pattaya is like "chalk and cheese".

The "hop on-hop off" Baht bus system in Pattaya allows one to travel almost the entire circuit for 10 Baht per person. Go from Jomtien to Naklua (think Kata to Kamala) for 20 Baht per person. Even chartering a Baht bus and going to the main bus terminal at 6AM only cost 150 Baht for 2 people.

I think if you compare this to Phuket, you may find rather a difference!

Edited by VBF