Fear Of Attacks On Phuket's New Airport Buses Delays Launch Date

Lite Beer

>>You mean - "all should go well now' for the Mayor and his son - as usual.

He's the first person all governors should look to for help seeing as all the patong drivers are helping his family and he has all the drivers ears. With the propsed one bus per hour, no money will be taken from the tuk tuk drivers and actually might help them make more money when the busses pull up full and there is a queue of tourists wanting to go to the next beach over. Easy poaching for the tuk tuks. Forest, trees and all that...................

That involves lateral thinking; admirable on your part but unfortunately not part of the Thai psyche.

• Like 1

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Phuket still afforable for many - just distasteful to them now. WHY????

How do you know it's "distasteful to them"?

Is this your over-active imagination, or, just your usual habit of assumption without evidence yet again?

Have you been to Hua Hin lately? A lot of ex-Phuketians up there.

Have you been to Pattaya lately? Same.

I personally know a few that have left Phuket for Pattaya - something that they never would have considered in the past.

They didn't leave Phuket due to affordability, but, from my understanding, functionality and friendliness.

I can only comment on my observations, the people I meet, and the people I know. The REAL evidence would be in the data bases of police/immigration who have to register where tourist/expats reside. It would be interesting to see how many expats have moved away from Phuket to other areas of Thailand.

I notice in my circle of friends here in Patong who have been here a long time there is more moaning and groaning about the place and I will mention that they are not readers of TV but the complaints are the same its as if they want the place to be the same as it was 10 years ago which is impossible in big tourist beach towns.

Now like most people concerned about the changes l don't like a lot of the progress either but I still like Patong but I don't need tuk tuk, jet ski or a new suit but for me its got everything I need for day to day living all within a short distance and still a lot cheaper than the UK .

Don't forget we look at Phuket with experience the tourists come for a great time and usually find it and move on.

Yes the above holds a lot of truth. I live in the UK and get to Thailand once or twice a year for a holiday.

My last trip I went to Phuket for the first time. I kindly said no to the tailors and jetskis and didn't need to take a tuk tuk anywhere as my barfine usually had a bike anyway.

Yes I found it a bit more expensive compared with other parts of the country but I still enjoyed myself and will no doubt return.

Ultimately if you don't like it somewhere then no one is forcing you to stay.

Yes the above holds a lot of truth. I live in the UK and get to Thailand once or twice a year for a holiday. My last trip I went to Phuket for the first time. I kindly said no to the tailors and jetskis and didn't need to take a tuk tuk anywhere as my barfine usually had a bike anyway. Yes I found it a bit more expensive compared with other parts of the country but I still enjoyed myself and will no doubt return. Ultimately if you don't like it somewhere then no one is forcing you to stay.

They will get to you eventually.

Yes the above holds a lot of truth. I live in the UK and get to Thailand once or twice a year for a holiday. My last trip I went to Phuket for the first time. I kindly said no to the tailors and jetskis and didn't need to take a tuk tuk anywhere as my barfine usually had a bike anyway. Yes I found it a bit more expensive compared with other parts of the country but I still enjoyed myself and will no doubt return. Ultimately if you don't like it somewhere then no one is forcing you to stay.

There are none so blind as the holiday maker to Phuket. :)

There are none so blind as the holiday maker to Phuket. :)

I wouldn't call it blind. It's better than spending the same time back home so until that changes I've not really got any reason to moan. One could argue if you've been here that long that you are moaning about the changes then its time to pack your bags.

There are none so blind as the holiday maker to Phuket. smile.png

I wouldn't call it blind. It's better than spending the same time back home so until that changes I've not really got any reason to moan. One could argue if you've been here that long that you are moaning about the changes then its time to pack your bags.

Why should I "pack my bags?" I'm too busy watching holiday makers like you getting fleeced. Quite entertaining, actually. :) :)

Why should I "pack my bags?" I'm too busy watching holiday makers like you getting fleeced. Quite entertaining, actually. smile.pngsmile.png

Well as your living here your probably getting fleeced too... just not to the extent that I am. And that's only because I am here for a few weeks on holiday with the sole intent on having fun where as you have probably become tight fisted hence moaning about this in the first place. :-) Glad I am be of some amusement to you.

Why should I "pack my bags?" I'm too busy watching holiday makers like you getting fleeced. Quite entertaining, actually.smile.png

I don't think it's entertaining when tourists are not exactly up on therealities, being fed a spoonful or two about safety, regard for life, and other matters.

I find it sad, when they die because of it too. Or get raped or injured or just plain ripped off.

The thread is about how a lobby is controlling a public trust. (All rather familiar, just a little less complicated than in US.)

I say give them a permit to protest, if they get violent arrests must be made. The state of transportation has to change everywhere.

Edited by MacChine
  • Like 1

Why should I "pack my bags?" I'm too busy watching holiday makers like you getting fleeced. Quite entertaining, actually. smile.pngsmile.png

Well as your living here your probably getting fleeced too... just not to the extent that I am. And that's only because I am here for a few weeks on holiday with the sole intent on having fun where as you have probably become tight fisted hence moaning about this in the first place. :-) Glad I am be of some amusement to you.

No, not tight fisted, just don't pay well over the odds, which unfortunately, keeps the rip off going.

When someone throws a ridiculous price at me, sometimes 5 to 10 times the actually cost, and it does happen, I walk away. Sometimes, as I am walking away, they yell out the actual price, but I keep walking. I don't want to do business with anyone like that.

Why should I "pack my bags?" I'm too busy watching holiday makers like you getting fleeced. Quite entertaining, actually.smile.png

I don't think it's entertaining when tourists are not exactly up on therealities, being fed a spoonful or two about safety, regard for life, and other matters.

I find it sad, when they die because of it too. Or get raped or injured or just plain ripped off.

The thread is about how a lobby is controlling a public trust. (All rather familiar, just a little less complicated than in US.)

I say give them a permit to protest, if they get violent arrests must be made. The state of transportation has to change everywhere.

Of course, my post was a "poke" at the other member. It's not my general attitude.

It is not entertaining to watch a tourist pay 800 baht for a T-Shirt, for example. However, this seems to be the business model of many Thai's here - better to rip off one tourist selling one shirt for 800 baht a day, than charge 300 baht for the shirt and sell three shirts and turn over 900 baht a day. You move more product, make 100 baht more, have happier customers and get recommended.

I guess they want to sell three shirts at 800 baht everyday, but then wonder why everyone is going to Pattaya, or neighbouring countries, particularly, Vietnam. smile.pngsmile.png

In relation to death and injury here, you will find I post regularly how the transport situation is killing people here, literally, and how, even if you own a car and are driving along sober, that doesn't mean the car coming the other way doesn't have a drunk tourist driving who can wipe you out because the car is 1000 baht a day to rent and tuk-tuks charge more than that for two short journeys. I agree with you, the tuk-tuk situation here is killing people.

As for protesting, most of the tourist real estate on the island is owned by about a dozen wealthy Thai families. Their large extended families have nothing to protest about. The various "systems" they have put in place have kept big money rolling in for years. They control pretty much all on the island. That's called, corruption, with a lot of greed thrown in for good measure. Sadly, this why we have not seen anything positive for tourists, or the tourism industry, implemented on the island for years.

So, whilst many tourists that come to Phuket have a a great holiday, and I'm still living and liking it here as well, they are quite "blind" in regards to their interactions with locals, the rip offs, the scams, their safety and security etc.

In deed, I have "invited" many friend to visit me on Phuket for their holiday. I have played "tour guide" and minimised their exposure to risk, rip off and scams. All were appreciative of my information, advice and effort. Not all tourist have that luxury to know someone living here.

Edited by NamKangMan

They sell the T Shirt for 800 so they can boast about screwing over another farang.

A national pastime.

Or... maybe they sell the t-shirt for ฿800 because they know some farangs are screwy enough to pay it?

• 1 month later...