Danish Businessman Attacked And Robbed In Pattaya

webfact

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All business is not done in cash here. Only the crooked business.

I bought my car via a bank transfer. I pay my rent via a bank transfer. I pay my utility bills via bank transfers and it was buying a property here it would be with a cashier's cheque made out to the vendor and crossed a/c payee. And if I couldn't do that then I wouldn't do it at all.

Most business IS done in cash here

+1

think about NOT having video footage.......he would be grilled by these thugs.

AND never believed, by by money lease and business.

Witnesses, body guards muay thai personel and if possible authority(meaning lawyer) aside before dealing cash (out)

Known suspect, more than a dozen witnesses...... even the RTP should be able to get a result on this one.

Then again, that's probably what the family of the policeman who was shot by a well known MP's son must have thought too.

Edited by bigbamboo

Sounds like maybe a commercial lease, could have been the typical shakedown by Thai landlords for extra key money, at the renewal of the lease. How many unwitting tenants have slaved to build up a business in Phuket or Pattaya to find themselves on the receiving end of this typical blood-sucking scam?

• Like 2

I can see you guysw does not know anything about business in Thailand !

Why is there so many ATM machines ? More then in any other country in the World (based on machines per capital) !

Not even in the top 15 (latest statistics):

http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/FB.ATM.TOTL.P5?order=wbapi_data_value_2010+wbapi_data_value+wbapi_data_value-last&sort=desc

The rest of your post is equally credible.

• Like 2

I do a few minor deals throught a bank, never more than $1,000. But the majority of my financial transactions are through a credit union. The owners and share holders of credit unions are the depositors who elect the managers bi-annually. It is a small organization where most people know each other and have something in common, like the industry they work in or labor union. Mine is one of hundreds of teacher's credit unions. I get car loans and mortgages there. Borrowing rates are lower and interest on savings is higher than most banks. I have been with my CU over 21 years. If a problem crops up, I am on the horn with somebody who knows me personally. I have no idea why middle and low income people ever walk into a bank in the USA.

Why is there so many ATM machines ? More then in any other country in the World (based on machines per capital) !

It is because all business are done in cash, not all, but most, go one day to the land office and sit down there, then you will se more cash then you ever had seen in your life, properties for many Mill. are paid for in cash.

Had a friend who just sold 7 shophouses lately, more then nhalf of them was paif in cash, avg. 5 Mill. each.

I had seen big European tour operators, they had to pay the airport in cash, Millions each week.

Do you think any want to take Bank cheques here ??? No one trust Thai banks !!

The system here in Thailand is so old, it is like in Europe 30-40 years ago.

No one trust anyone, they all think the other part steal, and with good reason, been living here 17 years, i always say to my friends home, they should be glad for having all these honest Polish chaps around

A bank draft from a local bank is often used in Thailand. Have been living in Thailand for over 24 years and know the top 5 tour operators in this country. The Thai operators are using cash most of the time but the European operators use most of the time A/C payable checks. Not sure why you need millions of Baht to bring weekly to the airport but it sounds more like an air charter service that fly once to Thailand and never come back again.

I trust most of the time local banks and I often issued checks (A/C payable) for renting a property, office and paying staffs.

Buying a property and bring 5 million Baht in cash? This smells like a disaster.

When I bought a property on Sathorn, I used an international law firm to draw up a contract and deposited an account payable check with the lawyer.

OK, as we all know Pattaya has different rules and a lot of the money ending up in Pattaya is laundered therefor cash is the only option.

I read the guy's post on Facebook a few days ago where he names, names. If what he wrote is true, it is very, very scary for people dealing with wealthy, as in very monied up and well known locals. Well-known as in well-known by both locals and foreigners residing/visiting in the area. I know the family name of just one big money family and this is the one... Shocking. At minimum, I think that when dealing with upper income people, violence when closing a deal is not expected.

same for me - when we had our house built I also paid the instalments via bank transfer ... I do not understand about the b.s. why not to trust Thai banks. Needless to say that I pay all of these bills via Thai internet banking, absolutely no problem and the procedere is close to Western banking standards.

I bought my car via a bank transfer. I pay my utility bills via bank transfers and if it was buying a property here ...

I bought my car via a bank transfer. I pay my rent via a bank transfer. I pay my utility bills via bank transfers and it was buying a property here it would be with a cashier's cheque made out to the vendor and crossed a/c payee. And if I couldn't do that then I wouldn't do it at all.

A cashier cheques here are not the same as in other countries !

I just tell you what is going on !

I also think it is total crazy, but even some of the real big companies do it that way !

Maybe a lot of it is tax fraud, but for sure most is because people don´t trust each other.

Most car companies does not accept cashier cheques, i seen that, i tried that, but i took the car salesman to the bank and gave him the money there, then i not have to go anywhere with them 5555 !

I call bullsh!t KBAA. I just bought a new car and was TOLD to get a bank check payable to them.

Just curious how so many ThaiVisa members know so much about how everyday business is done by Thais. Most members have limited experience, usually consisting of 7-11, paying rent on their room, beer bars and Tesco Lotus. If you don't have facts then don't present it as fact. Just because you say it or think it, doesn't make it true.

I tried to give a bar girl a check once.... wink.png

• Like 1

BTW, I require an extra 120000 baht. No problem I`ll go and get it now. And pigs may fly.

What sort of business meeting was this? What was the guy renting the property for?

If the man was willing to pay all that was asked, and had allegedly all ready been leasing from them for 2 years, why would these people suddenly attack him for no reason?

Must be a lot more to this, we are only getting one half of the story here.

• Like 2

It is because all business are done in cash, not all, but most, go one day to the land office and sit down there, then you will se more cash then you ever had seen in your life, properties for many Mill. are paid for in cash.

Had a friend who just sold 7 shophouses lately, more then nhalf of them was paif in cash, avg. 5 Mill. each.

I had seen big European tour operators, they had to pay the airport in cash, Millions each week.

Do you think any want to take Bank cheques here ??? No one trust Thai banks !!

The system here in Thailand is so old, it is like in Europe 30-40 years ago.

No one trust anyone, they all think the other part steal, and with good reason, been living here 17 years, i always say to my friends home, they should be glad for having all these honest Polish chaps around

I don't think I have ever met a Thai, including at the land office, who would not take a bank cheque! Most legitimate business to business deals are done with bank transfers or ordinary cheques, not cash. However, dodgy businesses obviously prefer to deal in cash and without tax receipts!

probably a lot more to the story but they may have offered him some significant cash discount which enticed him.

I really would like to see the video... It's not long until most everything is video with google glasses coming out. They have plans to work with optical fashion companies to offer designs that will be hard to know if the person is shooting video or images.

it's going to get a lot harder to get away with stuff in the new world of data

Edited by CobraSnakeNecktie
  • Like 1

A cashier cheques here are not the same as in other countries !

I just tell you what is going on !

I also think it is total crazy, but even some of the real big companies do it that way !

Maybe a lot of it is tax fraud, but for sure most is because people don´t trust each other.

Most car companies does not accept cashier cheques, i seen that, i tried that, but i took the car salesman to the bank and gave him the money there, then i not have to go anywhere with them 5555 !

A cashiers cheque, or bank cheque is exactly the same here as in other countries - it is guaranteed by the issuing bank.

No, the big legitimate companies do not pay with cash. They all pay with transfers or ordinary cheques. At least all the ones I know of. Many of them have a quite complicated system where a number of different people such as the manager, chief accountant etc. have to sign off before a payment is made, partly to ensure that no single person can just steal the money. Obviously they are not going to send a staff member over to the other business with a bag full of cash.

By the way, unlike in most countries, if you issue an ordinary cheque in Thailand, but cannot cover it, then it is a criminal offence, for which you can eventually go to jail if the receiver presses charges.

Perhaps you can name a few of those really big companies who pay everything in cash? I suspect you are referring to medium sized russian real estate companies in Pattaya or similar? :-)

• Like 1

A lot of business is still done in cash and it is not all crooked businesses. I know employers who pay millions of baht to their employees and it is all paid in cash. The taxes are paid.

Name me just one legitimate countrywide business that pays anything with cash?

i met the guy last week and he is recovering quite well even if he has backpains and cannot walk or stand for long time.

The reason why he went with cash was that the family ASKED for cash for a renewal and also will not have to pay some tax on the amount....

A lot of business is still done in cash and it is not all crooked businesses. I know employers who pay millions of baht to their employees and it is all paid in cash. The taxes are paid.

Name me just one legitimate countrywide business that pays anything with cash?

Just one big one Car4Cash !!!! 400.000 a few months ago !

The owner of Khon Kaen Fishnet factory paid 7 Million for a shophouse cash this year !

Had any been in a bank and wonder why they have all these cash counting machines ?

Go to a big branch and see how many go into the backroom and come out with bags full of cash !!!!

Cashier cheques here is not 100% the same as in europe, sorry to say !

Many companies does not accet them PERIOD !!!! It take several days to get the money if you not cash it in smae branch as it is comming from !!

oney transfer mvia Internet banking is omming up and is taking some cash away, but just starting !!

Sorry also, no Russians where i live !!

Only Thais and they do not trust each other, with good reason !!

I can read that most of these writing here, not know a lot, had never done business in this country, not even opened their eyes for what is going on !!!

Why so many money trucks on the roads each day ??? Cash Cash Cash !!!!

The more money a Thai has, the less they have to fear from the law = real culture

Thailand,Pattaya in particular, is a safe place for tourist families = ideal culture

The Thais love the tourists = ideal culture

Tourists have the same status as middle class blacks in America's pre-civil rights era = real culture

There is no mafia in Pattaya- in is a fiction created by bigoted Farangs = ideal culture

The mafia exists and it is intertwined with the 'upper' levels of Thai society = real culture

Bring out the meatier bait, and the bigger sharks arrive = fact of life.

Chances are that the dimwit female is being chastised for bringing scrutiny to the family.

I hope the victim makes a full recovery.

It must be fun have a debate with yourself. You get to supply all the fabricated assumptions and then manfully shoot them down.

>A straw man or straw person, also known in the UK as an Aunt Sally,[1][2] is a type of argument and is an informal fallacy based on misrepresentation of an opponent's position.[3] To "attack a straw man" is to create the illusion of having refuted a proposition by replacing it with a superficially similar yet unequivalent proposition (the "straw man"), and to refute it, without ever having actually refuted the original position.[3][4] This technique has been used throughout history in polemical debate, particularly in arguments about highly charged, emotional i

ssues.

What is your opinion regarding the content of my post?

Do you know what argumentum ad hominem is?

I was doing a compare and contrast between ideal and real culture.

What part of the compare and contrast was fallacious?

The alleged facts are that a Dane was severely beaten and robbed during a business deal, and the perpetrators were representatives of a high status family.

Do you think the victim was aware of the danger when he went to sign the contract?

Do you think that such an incident should be debated, and attempts should be made to uncover the causes -both circumstantial and root?

I agree you didn't offer a strawman argument or any argument really.

Then he/she goes on to lay down a classic Strawman in the next post. Amazing TV.

• Like 1

My god, the armchair detectives and conspiracy theorists are going to have a field day with this one!!

Conspiracy Theorist = "someone who doesn't believe mainstream media after they have been caught lying thousands of times"

Alex Jones

Edited by Chopperboy

Who in his right mind would pay 420KBaht in cash for anything? And why was he so happy to pay a 40% increase at the last minute?

I like the place I rent and I'm happy with the price I pay but if they owners suddenly wanted 40% extra on renewal they would have a long wait. At the last renewal they wanted me to pay the cable fee (300B/month) instead of them, but I would not agree to it.

You either have not been in Thailand very long or you don't do business at any reasonable level here. It's almost ALWAYS cash. Thailand has a huge underground cash situation and remains the way majority of non reported business takes place. No VAT, no withholding tax and no declarations.

All cash transactions are not crooked. Ridiculous statement to make.