Danish Businessman Attacked And Robbed In Pattaya

webfact

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All business is not done in cash here. Only the crooked business.

I bought my car via a bank transfer. I pay my rent via a bank transfer. I pay my utility bills via bank transfers and it was buying a property here it would be with a cashier's cheque made out to the vendor and crossed a/c payee. And if I couldn't do that then I wouldn't do it at all.

A cashier cheques here are not the same as in other countries !

I just tell you what is going on !

I also think it is total crazy, but even some of the real big companies do it that way !

Maybe a lot of it is tax fraud, but for sure most is because people don´t trust each other.

Most car companies does not accept cashier cheques, i seen that, i tried that, but i took the car salesman to the bank and gave him the money there, then i not have to go anywhere with them 5555 !

I call bullsh!t KBAA. I just bought a new car and was TOLD to get a bank check payable to them.

Just curious how so many ThaiVisa members know so much about how everyday business is done by Thais. Most members have limited experience, usually consisting of 7-11, paying rent on their room, beer bars and Tesco Lotus. If you don't have facts then don't present it as fact. Just because you say it or think it, doesn't make it true.

If you don't have the facts then don't present it as fact. Just because you say it or think it, doesn't make it true. All cash transactions are not crooked.

Why are you now denigrating "most members" of TV in your next to last sentence? Do you think you are somehow better than them having to put up with the humiliation of going to 7-Eleven, Tesco's or a bar or living in a "room" while you swan around in a new car, accompanied by your vast experience?

• Like 1

All business is not done in cash here. Only the crooked business.

I bought my car via a bank transfer. I pay my rent via a bank transfer. I pay my utility bills via bank transfers and it was buying a property here it would be with a cashier's cheque made out to the vendor and crossed a/c payee. And if I couldn't do that then I wouldn't do it at all.

A lot of business is still done in cash and it is not all crooked businesses. I know employers who pay millions of baht to their employees and it is all paid in cash. The taxes are paid.

Name me just one legitimate countrywide business that pays anything with cash?

Just one big one Car4Cash !!!! 400.000 a few months ago !

The owner of Khon Kaen Fishnet factory paid 7 Million for a shophouse cash this year !

Had any been in a bank and wonder why they have all these cash counting machines ?

Go to a big branch and see how many go into the backroom and come out with bags full of cash !!!!

Cashier cheques here is not 100% the same as in europe, sorry to say !

Many companies does not accet them PERIOD !!!! It take several days to get the money if you not cash it in smae branch as it is comming from !!

oney transfer mvia Internet banking is omming up and is taking some cash away, but just starting !!

Sorry also, no Russians where i live !!

Only Thais and they do not trust each other, with good reason !!

I can read that most of these writing here, not know a lot, had never done business in this country, not even opened their eyes for what is going on !!!

Why so many money trucks on the roads each day ??? Cash Cash Cash !!!!

I think we misunderstand eachother. I was referring to business to business payments as mentioned earlier. I do not know Car4cash or Khonkaen fishnet factory. I tried finding them on the SET or MAI, but couldn't, so assume they are not listed or listed under different names?

Anyway, obviously all companies give the option to deal with their customers in cash. Ie. I can pay with cash when shopping in Tesco, and they also give me change back in cash. But Tesco does not pay any of it's suppliers with cash. Neither do any other major companies. Ask yourself, which staff would they trust to run around with millions in a bag? Or do you think the owners run around paying everything by themselves?

The banks have alot of cash because people, vendors etc. (not big businesses) pay everything with cash.

Please let me know how cashiers cheques here differ from those in Europe?

Must be a lot more to this, we are only getting one half of the story here.

Without a doubt.

Of course there wii, but that doesn't give this scum, and they are scum as I know other facts of this family, the right to do what they did.

Why aren't they in jail ? Imagine that it was just the other way around, where would the Dane be now?

cashiers cheques here differ from those in the rest of the world.....as they are written in thai.smile.png ..some banks have a small cashing fee heresad.png ..do not be scared to trade in cash ..just another bad apple making headlinesunsure.png .i remember an italian friend in new york "show me half a million dollars and i will show you a deal,,show me a million and i will show you a robbery"...if you need security you are vulnerable everywhereclosedeyes.gif .but lets all blame the thais...get well soon and keep your wits about you

Who in his right mind would pay 420KBaht in cash for anything? And why was he so happy to pay a 40% increase at the last minute?

I like the place I rent and I'm happy with the price I pay but if they owners suddenly wanted 40% extra on renewal they would have a long wait. At the last renewal they wanted me to pay the cable fee (300B/month) instead of them, but I would not agree to it.

It 's a summary , maybe with the 120K Eur he gets something more also...

Don't think it's the major information of this story...

This guy is in a "no-win" situation with this family, but the best for his safety is to get as much of the story out in the public. I would think as soon as he posts the video on u-tube he will be sued for defamation from the family. That will prevent him from leaving Thailand and may take a long time to clear. I don't see the family settling this quickly and quietly in form of cash as the "face" has to be saved.

Ahh but what if someone outside of Thailand happens to post said video on youtube?

Several expats that I know lease shop-houses from this family so I am sure they will be watching this matter closely.

This is what makes this story more intriguing.

Loads of Farangs lease premises in this families soi, there has to be more to it than 420k.

I can see you guysw does not know anything about business in Thailand !

Why is there so many ATM machines ? More then in any other country in the World (based on machines per capital) !

It is because all business are done in cash, not all, but most, go one day to the land office and sit down there, then you will se more cash then you ever had seen in your life, properties for many Mill. are paid for in cash.

Had a friend who just sold 7 shophouses lately, more then nhalf of them was paif in cash, avg. 5 Mill. each.

I had seen big European tour operators, they had to pay the airport in cash, Millions each week.

Do you think any want to take Bank cheques here ??? No one trust Thai banks !!

The system here in Thailand is so old, it is like in Europe 30-40 years ago.

No one trust anyone, they all think the other part steal, and with good reason, been living here 17 years, i always say to my friends home, they should be glad for having all these honest Polish chaps around

True, Banking and business here is very much like 1850 USA - everything done in cash. Not until Wells Fargo were checks considered worth the risk. Murder as well - just like the wild west, someone sneaks up behind and 'BANG you're dead'...

Now everything in the US is done with cards with cash back when requested. Buy a sandwich for lunch, ask for $10 and it is all subtracted from the card.

• Like 1

Who in his right mind would pay 420KBaht in cash for anything? And why was he so happy to pay a 40% increase at the last minute?

You either have not been in Thailand very long or you don't do business at any reasonable level here. It's almost ALWAYS cash. Thailand has a huge underground cash situation and remains the way majority of non reported business takes place. No VAT, no withholding tax and no declarations.

Like I said. Crooked business is done in cash.

But I manage to live my life here without any trouble and without ever using cash for large sums. Thankfully I dont do any business here, nor do I want to.

I can see you guysw does not know anything about business in Thailand !

Why is there so many ATM machines ? More then in any other country in the World (based on machines per capital) !

It is because all business are done in cash, not all, but most, go one day to the land office and sit down there, then you will se more cash then you ever had seen in your life, properties for many Mill. are paid for in cash.

Had a friend who just sold 7 shophouses lately, more then nhalf of them was paif in cash, avg. 5 Mill. each.

I had seen big European tour operators, they had to pay the airport in cash, Millions each week.

Do you think any want to take Bank cheques here ??? No one trust Thai banks !!

The system here in Thailand is so old, it is like in Europe 30-40 years ago.

No one trust anyone, they all think the other part steal, and with good reason, been living here 17 years, i always say to my friends home, they should be glad for having all these honest Polish chaps around

True, Banking and business here is very much like 1850 USA - everything done in cash. Not until Wells Fargo were checks considered worth the risk. Murder as well - just like the wild west, someone sneaks up behind and 'BANG you're dead'...

Now everything in the US is done with cards with cash back when requested. Buy a sandwich for lunch, ask for $10 and it is all subtracted from the card.

I lived in Denmark 15 years ago and it was like that then.

I spoke to my daughter yesterday and she told me that most banks now are cashless. People just don't use a lot of cash.

Back to thailand,

Only on Sunday was I having lunch with my friends in a coffee shop when we noticed a farang talking to three Thai guys. They were pretty rough looking with open shirts and huge gold chains hanging around their necks.

We noticed a lot of papers being passed backwards and forwards and then the farang pulled out a huge wad of 1000 baht notes. I would guess about 3 or 4 hundred thousand baht. Before anyone asks how I know it was that much I can say that I had just been in the bank and the lady next to me deposited 200,000 cash. I saw it counted in the machine.

Anyway when he pulled out the money the Thai guys quickly told him to put it away and they would do the rest of the business in the car park and off they went.

I talked about this with my friend. Why on earth a foreigner would be doing a huge cash deal like that in a coffee shop. I t seems quite normal here.

Anyway I wish the danish victim a speedy recovery and as it seems the attackers are from a well known family I hope he stays safe.

Good for you, Ive bought my cars with cash, my motorbikes with cash, pay my rent with cash, pay my utility bills once again, with cash. Infact everything I can I try to pay with cash.

By using cash there is a very minial digital footprint other than the withdrawal of said cash at my Kasikorn bank branch which updates my passbook for easy tracking.

It seems that you may have more to hide than I do.

The whole point of not using cash is because the bank transaction, be it a transfer or a crossed cashier's cheque, gives you some traceability if you get ripped off. This can only be to my benefit and there is no way I can possibly lose anything from it.

To get back to the victim, I wish him a full recovery and hope that he is not too traumatised by this attack. I hope he gets restitution and damages too. (!!)

Dealing with people in good faith here is obviously something we will all have to take much more care about, and cash may be a no-no from now on no matter what the other party wants.

This scenario seemed to be a safe and regular lease extension, which went pear shaped for some reason on the Thai side, the perps being well known just adds to what we know about the lack of foresight and apparent inability to see beyond the next five minutes that Thai crims suffer from.

I was seriously approached by a family friend up here and asked if I wanted his services as a bodyguard. I am not in business nor do I rent property. I was joking with him about it but he was not joking, thought that farangs should have minders, for real.

We are, like it or not, seen as easy meat for cash should someone get desperate, so watch yer backs and remember your sas training boys!

Jeez! where does this shit end? I love Thailand I really do but these stories (irrespective of the fact I cannot stop reading them) really make me angry, we all love money and some of us might well consider doing questionable things in the pursuit of it. However, these stories of Thai people willing to injure maim and even murder farang's to steal their money and posessions sickens me to the core. What's wrong with these people? Thailand.......so beautiful and so deadly.

Edited by angiud
profanity
  • Like 2

Must be a lot more to this, we are only getting one half of the story here.

Without a doubt.

Of course there wii, but that doesn't give this scum, and they are scum as I know other facts of this family, the right to do what they did.

Why aren't they in jail ? Imagine that it was just the other way around, where would the Dane be now?

If these people are known to be undesirables and into unsavory practices, then why become involved with them in the first instance?

These unscrupulous so-called business people with they`re ill gotten gains consider themselves above the law and in Thailand, that is often the case.

My advice is; don`t get involved, otherwise it`s all at your own risk and discretion.

Good for you, Ive bought my cars with cash, my motorbikes with cash, pay my rent with cash, pay my utility bills once again, with cash. Infact everything I can I try to pay with cash.

By using cash there is a very minial digital footprint other than the withdrawal of said cash at my Kasikorn bank branch which updates my passbook for easy tracking.

It seems that you may have more to hide than I do.

The whole point of not using cash is because the bank transaction, be it a transfer or a crossed cashier's cheque, gives you some traceability if you get ripped off. This can only be to my benefit and there is no way I can possibly lose anything from it.

I have nothing to hide, Iam paid 100% onshore directly into my Thai bank account, I just prefer to limit my digital footprint using electronic means to disperse my cash.

Other than the usual rent and utilities (which is all Iam really exposed to here) how can I be ripped off. If I buy a car or bike I pay cash, the transaction is made at the Land Transport Dept after the book is handed to me in my name.

I can just see it now at the Transport Dept....... paperwork done and book transfered and I hand the person a cheque, ya reckon he's gunna give me the keys before validity of cheque is confirmed...... bwahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Edited by Spoonman

I never carry around much more than 5k baht in Thailand. No way i would pay any large amount other than by internet transfer or bank cheque. If they want your money and everything is legit there shouldnt be any problem with these cashless methods.

Thailand is like dodge city and if you are carrying around any large amounts of cash you always run the risk that if someone finds out they will be tempted to try and grab it especially when you are unlikely to get much assistance from the BIB.

Caveat Emptor.

I never carry around much more than 5k baht in Thailand. No way i would pay any large amount other than by internet transfer or bank cheque. If they want your money and everything is legit there shouldnt be any problem with these cashless methods.

Thailand is like dodge city and if you are carrying around any large amounts of cash you always run the risk that if someone finds out they will be tempted to try and grab it especially when you are unlikely to get much assistance from the BIB.

Caveat Emptor.

Been living & working here for 7 years now without an issue, I'll continue to take my chances.

The Dane explains that the attack was ordered by the owner of a property

that he was leasing from her and carried out by her staff and her

husband. The money was brought into the meeting to pay for a renewal of

the lease.

Sorry, he deserved to get robbed. Pay in advance! Pay in cash! Pay 40% more! No thanks, here is a security deposit. Give me your bank account and I will transfer my payments to your bank. Pay in advance (please give me a 10% discount).

Well I know what I would do after I was healthy.

we all love money and some of us might well consider doing questionable things in the pursuit of it. However, these stories of Thai people willing to injure maim and even murder farang's to steal their money and posessions sickens me to the core. What's wrong with these people? .

Keep calling yourself "farang", and they will more likely see you as something different, and that makes you an an even easier target of scams, and killings.

If his account of the incident is pretty much the gist of it then I guess they may have either thought it would be his word against theirs or possibly they were going to kill him.